Frank Miller Wants to Write Captain America

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thats a shame, could have seen Captain America flying into Pakistan to knock out Bin Laden with his shield. A modern take on the comic in which he knocked out Hitler. lol.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, I have a feeling we should probably keep Frank Miller away from Captain America. Like, forever.

And now the "Whores" comic. Because, hey, it's a Miller thread it has to be posted at-least once:

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Oooooh I bet he does. Captain Patriot act himself would be right at home, and I'm sure he would do his best to make those winged ears looks curiously like bat ears.

vid87

May 17, 2010
PunkRex said:
Yeah, because what I want in a Captain America film is him breaking into random civilian houses and fucking up farmers 'Taken' style so he can find leads on TUURREREST hideouts.

This honestly sounds like the worst freaking idea Marvel could do... although I actually kind of liked 'The Spirit'.

Sigfodr said:
This would be considered tame in comparison:

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I truly, TRULY despise this attitude that France is some how cowardly for surrendering, it's not like they had a choice and their civilians still fought back as best they could. Especially coming from American patriots, took you guys a good few years to even get involved, also, wasn't there a more recent war where you guys surrendered. I don't want to step on the toes of any soldiers, those guys/gals have enough to deal with but this anti-french attitude has always pissed me off...

AND I'M ENGLISH![/quote]

I agree with the whole "knock off the French-bashing." As an American, I keep in mind that their involvement in the Revolution is a major reason my country even exists. If anything, shouldn't the US helping to liberate France in WWII sort of count as returning a favor?

That said, I actually find that last panel kind've hilarious just in the coupling of the gritty setting with such a stupid line.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
vid87 said:
PunkRex said:
Yeah, because what I want in a Captain America film is him breaking into random civilian houses and fucking up farmers 'Taken' style so he can find leads on TUURREREST hideouts.

This honestly sounds like the worst freaking idea Marvel could do... although I actually kind of liked 'The Spirit'.

Sigfodr said:
This would be considered tame in comparison:

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I truly, TRULY despise this attitude that France is some how cowardly for surrendering, it's not like they had a choice and their civilians still fought back as best they could. Especially coming from American patriots, took you guys a good few years to even get involved, also, wasn't there a more recent war where you guys surrendered. I don't want to step on the toes of any soldiers, those guys/gals have enough to deal with but this anti-french attitude has always pissed me off...

AND I'M ENGLISH![/quote]

I agree with the whole "knock off the French-bashing." As an American, I keep in mind that their involvement in the Revolution is a major reason my country even exists. If anything, shouldn't the US helping to liberate France in WWII sort of count as returning a favor?

That said, I actually find that last panel kind've hilarious just in the coupling of the gritty setting with such a stupid line.[/quote]

Aye, I never understood where the French bashing came from for some Americans, especially considering their precious Statue of Liberty was constructed by the French as a result of (like you say) the American revolution.

I mean the French and the English rib each other because we spent many years fighting each other. Even then, we don't say anything about them being /cowards/, just garlic munching bastards.

I'll just steal this image from the Facebook comments to show how Cap /should/ be written.

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr8q9rgr5F1qbatka.jpg

Jim_Callahan said:
vid87 said:
As an American, I keep in mind that their involvement in the Revolution is a major reason my country even exists.
I guess it is fairly American to be against a stereotype because you're cripplingly incompetent at history.

The US was aided in its revolution by the French Monarchy, that was quite literally five countries ago, historically. The current nation referred to as 'France' is usually called 'the Fifth republic' for a reason, and it's not that they're the same country that shared the geographic location in the 1770s. The handoffs between the imperial and republic nations weren't exactly peaceful affairs focused on maintaining cultural continuity, either.

Even the most forgiving estimates of what constitutes being the "same country" would start France in the 1870s at best (the last time the transition _officially_ consisted of a mob running around killing everyone and starting from scratch).

(All this aside, it's fairly appropriate for Captain America to pull that joke out of his hat because his ostensible generation was the one that started the meme/joke during WW2.)
Sorry, you're calling him cripplingly incompetent at History for...what exactly? What's your point?

You said it yourself, "The US was aided in it's revolution by the French Monarchy". He never mentioned anything to do with French Political upheaval or French history, just that the French helped America during the American Revolution, which they did. The people in whatever shape, politically or geographically it is now were and still are French. It was was still France in the 1770s, regardless of how it was run, and the people living there were French. Ergo it is not "cripplingly incompetent" to refer to the people there in the 1770s as French.

Also, I've NEVER heard France referred to as the Fith Republic before now. Ever. I know that it is the case now, but noone I know has ever heard France called the Fith Republic.

Actually that's a point, it's the FITH repbulic of France.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Gorfias said:
Lieju said:
Jinjer said:
No, no, nonononono NOPE. Horrible, horrible idea. I didn't think it could get worse after Remender's hatchetjob of the character but this would probably even top that. Frank Miller is the last person I want to see writing Cap, it'd be a disaster of epic proportions
Yes. It would be such a disaster I almost want to see it, but no.

I do like Dark Knight Rises, but I can't think of anything else of his 'good stuff' I've read.
Well, Sin City maybe. It wasn't really for me though, so I'm not sure how good it was since I quickly lost interest in it.
His Daredevil run was magic and renewed my love of comic books for a decade. One issue has Captain America in it. It is told from Matt Murdock's perspective. He can tell someone outside his building wants to speak to him in private. He exits and chases someone so fast and graceful, he can't keep up. He hears a window creak under the weigh of the person swinging from it (cap) and thinks the person must weigh at least 300 lbs. Just really cool. And his cap is really cool.
I too love his run on Daredevil, but sadly if he were writing it today Nuke would've probably been a hero rather than a tragic villain.

Anyway, there's no way that Disney-owned Marvel is going to let him anywhere near any of their movie franchised characters, he's toxic at this point (and has diminished as an artist/storyteller). There's nothing stopping him making an ersatz Cap and doing his own thing though, but he seems to really crave that iconography for his own political reasons.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Jim_Callahan said:
vid87 said:
As an American, I keep in mind that their involvement in the Revolution is a major reason my country even exists.
I guess it is fairly American to be against a stereotype because you're cripplingly incompetent at history.

The US was aided in its revolution by the French Monarchy, that was quite literally five countries ago, historically. The current nation referred to as 'France' is usually called 'the Fifth republic' for a reason, and it's not that they're the same country that shared the geographic location in the 1770s. The handoffs between the imperial and republic nations weren't exactly peaceful affairs focused on maintaining cultural continuity, either.

Even the most forgiving estimates of what constitutes being the "same country" would start France in the 1870s at best (the last time the transition _officially_ consisted of a mob running around killing everyone and starting from scratch).

(All this aside, it's fairly appropriate for Captain America to pull that joke out of his hat because his ostensible generation was the one that started the meme/joke during WW2.)
*broadly insults all Americans, calling them "incompetent at history"
*doesn't know how centuries work

The American revolution started less than 250 years ago. Even rounding up, that's only three centuries.

Even if you want to stretch and count part of a century as "a historical century" (we're only 14 years into ours), well, let's see. Currently it's the 21st century. 20th, 19th, 18th... still three.

Before calling people "cripplingly incompetent", you should really check your own math.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Looks like im not the only one morbidly curious to see what would happen if miller did write a captain America story

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
I liked Robocop 2, but the Miller who wrote that and the Miller of today are very different people.

He can write the US Agent movie. Or maybe the Punisher.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Short version...

Not sure if Frank Miller is Dutch or not, but you get the idea.

Frank, whatever notions you have of reclaiming your former glory better be prepped to be burned along with the rest of your career. I'd list all of your faults and failures, but I'm sure the Internet (Linkara mostly) has done that job for me.

Although we're still waiting (and dreading) for an Atop The Fourth Wall review of Holy Terror.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MovieBob said:
"features virtues that my country has either lost or misplaced for a very long time," and that "I remember telling people at Marvel, just a few days after 9/11, that I hoped they realized what they had there, because Captain America's reaction to 9/11 would have been pretty direct."
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

I don't have enough NOPE in my body to accurately portray the amount of NOPE I am brimming with.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
JoshuaMadoc said:
Am I seriously the only one here that's always seen Frank Miller as nothing but a complete idiot since the first time I heard about him?
Considering my first impression of him was "What, are you an idiot? Are you RETARDED or something? I'm the GODDAMNED BATMAN", no, no you are not. :p

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Anti-Robot Man said:
I too love his run on Daredevil, but sadly if he were writing it today Nuke would've probably been a hero rather than a tragic villain.
Happily, he has made other appearances and is still a tragic villain. I think the best kind of villains are the ones that think they are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Anyway, there's no way that Disney-owned Marvel is going to let him anywhere near any of their movie franchised characters, he's toxic at this point (and has diminished as an artist/storyteller). There's nothing stopping him making an ersatz Cap and doing his own thing though, but he seems to really crave that iconography for his own political reasons.
I enjoyed the Dark Knight Returns, but it was such a pale shadow of this 1980s greatness. I look forward to him proving us wrong and helping make Sin City 2 awesome.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Captain America is supposed to represent the best of America, not what we are. So Frank Miller would suck at writing him, let Frank write US agent, (assuming hes still around) he seems like kind of an ass who would work well with Frank's world view.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hell NO! I would not want a man who despises the entire superhero concept to touch Captain America. Captain America would have indeed had a lot to say about 9/11, and would have been, "It's not right to kill innocent people or blame whole countries for what a group of people did."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Please tell me this is the real Frank Miller, having just escaped after like 30 years imprisoned by an alien who had copied his image in order to infiltrate society.

...no? It's the guy who wrote All-Star Batman and Robin?

Jan 18, 2012
Raika said:
MovieBob said:
not being good at making comics anymore. [http://atopthefourthwall.com/all-star-batman-and-robin-6/]
Bob, that implies that Frank Miller was ever any good at making comics.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. Should we give a character who specializes in the examination of patriotism and morality to the industry's most detestable human being, a card-carrying misogynistic psychopath who accomplishes the impossible by having a more pronounced rape fetish than Alan Moore does, who has never written anything worth reading, and who poisoned superhero comics beyond repair in the mid-eighties by ushering in the Dark Age?

What do you think, Darth Vader?
Once upon a time Frank Miller was a good comic writer. The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, and his run on Daredevil were the highlights of his career. But shortly after working on Sin City he began to go eight-ways bananas, producing such crap as The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Holy Terror, and All Star Batman and Robin.