Frauds Plague Steam's Greenlight

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Kargathia said:
Treblaine said:
This is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, we've been waiting 8 years now, 5 since Episode 2 and we have not seen or heard a peep of anything, we don't even know if it is still in production.

But it's not like Valve hasn't been doing anything, Portal, Left 4 Dead (and SOOO many maps), Team Fortress 2's endless updates including huge stuff like Mann vs Machine and even time for Counterstrike GO.

Greenlight is great, but it only serves to highlight the elephant in the room of Valve's most anticipated game that they are so silent on.
I wouldn't exactly call it "the elephant in the room" when they've explicitly stated they're not working on it right now.

It indeed is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, but only due to the continuous and unrelenting squealing of fanboys every time they find another way to tell themselves that Valve maybe is secretly working on it after all.
Hmm, need a source on that. I find nowhere that Valve were explicit that no further Half Life instalments were in development.

Sounds like inflammatory untruthes. 2/10 nice try, got me to rely.

Well I think it is an elephant as every time "Valve is (about to) do something" Half Life 3 inevitably comes up and I think the part of that is we just are given SO LITTLE, not even a hint, nothing, nada, zippo, not a tease, nothing. Yes they say they are working on it [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/half-life-3-wait-explained-6372687] but it's still worrying that we don't see anything for such a popular and loved series that ended on quite a cliffhanger.

Have you played Half Life up to Episode 2? It ends on quite a cliffhanger and there was the latent promise of immediate follow up with Episode 1 and 2 following quite readily after Half Life 2

This is a bit like if after Empire Strikes Back, leaving on that cliffhanger of Vader's reveal and the capture of Han Solo as Luke and Leia look out over the Galaxy... yet half a decade later there is no word of any further instalment, no sight of Return of the Jedi. Oh, they say they are working on it but imagine if the director and studio in that time released a load of other films, really great films, but everyone was wondering what was going on in the mean time.

I mean Bioshock 1 has been release, a mini sequel and Bioshock Infinite has been made in this same time span since merely the last episodic instalment. This is no mere "squealing" which I find a particularly mean-spirited characterisation.

But I'm not surprised at the backlash at Half Life, it's mainly from console players who would rather play the latest degree iteration of Call Of Duty: Aim-Assist Warfare and have consternation at a series like Half Life getting acclaim when it's not about burly military men shooting endless waves of Russians in the exact same way over, and over, and over again but rather about the purity of FPS immersion and seamless storytelling.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Treblaine said:
But I'm not surprised at the backlash at Half Life, it's mainly from console players who would rather play the latest degree iteration of Call Of Duty: Aim-Assist Warfare and have consternation at a series like Half Life getting acclaim when it's not about burly military men shooting endless waves of Russians in the exact same way over, and over, and over again but rather about the purity of FPS immersion and seamless storytelling.
No, no it's not. It's about people sick of very vocal fans of a single presumably-aborted franchise bringing up a non-existent, no-longer-relevant game in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE about the largest, most popular digital-distribution company. And yes, I have played Half-life and Half-life 2.

And I'm mostly a PC gamer.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I noticed a number of 'em looked less than legit, although I haven't seen anything offensive though. I have seen a number of obvious Minecraft clones.

DEaViL

Mar 8, 2012
- give greenlight some time.
some things just don't work instantly, especially when it's reliant on other people.

- also can someone please tell me something?
when exactly did valve say they were working on HL3?

i'm getting tired of fan whines saying they're delaying it when they have never said they were working on it to begin with.

and yes, i know about the episodes but i'm also sure that was discontinued

THX

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:
No, no it's not. It's about people sick of very vocal fans of a single presumably-aborted franchise bringing up a non-existent, no-longer-relevant game in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE about the largest, most popular digital-distribution company. And yes, I have played Half-life and Half-life 2.

Oh come on, why is this so much with Half Life but not with the likes of Mass Effect or other fandoms?

No longer relevant? Yahtzee has said often enough that he's fed up with what passes for innovation in 2012 being nothing but catching up with what Valve did in 2004. Half Life 2 and episodes were hugely popular and ended on a cliffhanger with promise of resolution. It's very relevant.

And it is very relevant in this article WHICH DIRECTLY ADDRESSES HALF LIFE 3!!!!

"Steam's Greenlight service has deleted five versions of Half Life 3..."

" It didn't take long before games that existed in name only or were obvious attempts to troll - Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3,"

""I've already seen just in the last HOUR two entries for Mass Effect 3, five various entries for Half Life 3 ... ""

"Greenlight is there to meet your needs. Just no Half Life 3. Sorry 'bout that."

Four. Four references. Somehow not relevant.

This is nothing but backlash of "well I don't care, but I care that you care".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
draythefingerless said:
This Greenlight thing is a huge pile of shit. It went just as i predicted. filled to the brim with generic uninteresting games, lazily made, 50% of wich are blatant ripoffs of other games, without any imagination or effort to differentiate and add interesting thigns to them.
What's the matter with rip-offs?

Imagine if after Doom or Quake it was verboten to be "so unoriginal" to make an FPS. Remember for the first 10 years of FPS games they were all called "doom clones" or when in 3D "Quake clones".

As long as the rip-offs are good and not level-by-level clones then what is the problem?

Why is it OK for a developer to make a very similar derivative just as long as they call it a sequel?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Treblaine said:
draythefingerless said:
This Greenlight thing is a huge pile of shit. It went just as i predicted. filled to the brim with generic uninteresting games, lazily made, 50% of wich are blatant ripoffs of other games, without any imagination or effort to differentiate and add interesting thigns to them.
What's the matter with rip-offs?

Imagine if after Doom or Quake it was verboten to be "so unoriginal" to make an FPS. Remember for the first 10 years of FPS games they were all called "doom clones" or when in 3D "Quake clones".

As long as the rip-offs are good and not level-by-level clones then what is the problem?

Why is it OK for a developer to make a very similar derivative just as long as they call it a sequel?
you DO notice the part in my post where i mention they are ripoffs with irrelevant levels of differentiation or imagination inputted right? im not the kind of guy who would call evth a COD clone, but i know blatant lazy ripoffs when i see them. all over the GreenLight pages.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I saw one that was an African American simulator. The picture was a prison. Obvious BS. Reported and moved on.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kargathia said:
I wouldn't exactly call it "the elephant in the room" when they've explicitly stated they're not working on it right now.

It indeed is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, but only due to the continuous and unrelenting squealing of fanboys every time they find another way to tell themselves that Valve maybe is secretly working on it after all.
Actually, it's quite the opposite.

Gabe Newell himself has said that they are currently working on Half-Life 3. And, that they have been since Episode 2 finished.

I'm not sure where people keep getting this idea that they're not. Kind of puzzling, really.

Relevant link: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

DEaViL said:
- also can someone please tell me something?
when exactly did valve say they were working on HL3?

i'm getting tired of fan whines saying they're delaying it when they have never said they were working on it to begin with.

and yes, i know about the episodes but i'm also sure that was discontinued

THX
Vivi22 said:
Can we honestly just stop mentioning HL3 in every thread relating to Valve? It gets a bit tiresome when some people can't even talk about the subject at hand without twisting it back around to that one game they keep saying they want more than a wish granting genie which isn't being made yet.

As for Greenlight, yeah, big surprise there are issues when it just came out. It's something no company has ever done before and Valve are literally striking new ground with it. Kind of like they did when they originally released Steam. Getting all doom and gloom about it is a bit silly before they've had the chance to work on ironing out the problems. I've no doubt that it will run much more smoothly in the future.

Hell, if it's doing a decent job of weeding out the fakes and the thieves already then in time it may work as disincentive to their trying to get past the crowd if it's not working.
See above. ;)

Also, this Escapist article mentions Half-Life 3 roughly four times. It's not really a stretch to see people mentioning it in the comments.

Just sayin'.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
These sorts of services are ALWAYS bound to have a load of garbage piling on the good. It's inevitable.

Still, I'm loving Greenlight, thus far. Especially considering it's bringing more attention to gems like Project Zomboid. :D

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
This is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, we've been waiting 8 years now, 5 since Episode 2 and we have not seen or heard a peep of anything, we don't even know if it is still in production.
Right, so it's been a 5-year wait. I assume you don't say that the last shit you took was the shit you shit 5 shits ago. Or... something.

Kargathia said:

Well, it is being worked on. Not sure where you heard your explicit statement.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
draythefingerless said:
I still think it's a good idea, Greenlight was always going to be a filter I'm pretty sure everyone predicted that. Filters are always filled with 99% crap, it's job is to siphon out the good games that are usually buried under the layers of said crap. Greenlight is just a way of reducing the human errors you get when you normally rely on a small team of people to do a job that is based largely on opinion.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I still don't even know why Valve is bothering with greenlight, why not just accept every indie game that developers bring to them? It's not like they have a standard of quality they are trying to keep, they've let absolute garbage on steam.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Treblaine said:
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:

Oh come on, why is this so much with Half Life but not with the likes of Mass Effect or other fandoms?

No longer relevant? Yahtzee has said often enough that he's fed up with what passes for innovation in 2012 being nothing but catching up with what Valve did in 2004. Half Life 2 and episodes were hugely popular and ended on a cliffhanger with promise of resolution. It's very relevant.

And it is very relevant in this article WHICH DIRECTLY ADDRESSES HALF LIFE 3!!!!

"Steam's Greenlight service has deleted five versions of Half Life 3..."

" It didn't take long before games that existed in name only or were obvious attempts to troll - Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3,"

""I've already seen just in the last HOUR two entries for Mass Effect 3, five various entries for Half Life 3 ... ""

"Greenlight is there to meet your needs. Just no Half Life 3. Sorry 'bout that."

Four. Four references. Somehow not relevant.

This is nothing but backlash of "well I don't care, but I care that you care".
So Yahtzee's ignorant about what game innovation really is, and has really weird ideas about what makes a game a game (See - his complete missing of the point of random dungeon layouts in dungeon-crawlers). What else is new?

The problem I had with your comment was entirely with your attack on everyone annoyed by the incessant whining about Half-Life 3's need to come out is not just angry that it's not "their" favored franchise (Which you moronically assume is Call of Duty, which you then ignorantly and grossly misrepresent), and that they're intellectually inferior and incapable of thinking for themselves [http://xkcd.com/610/].

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
nasteypenguin said:
draythefingerless said:
I still think it's a good idea, Greenlight was always going to be a filter I'm pretty sure everyone predicted that. Filters are always filled with 99% crap, it's job is to siphon out the good games that are usually buried under the layers of said crap. Greenlight is just a way of reducing the human errors you get when you normally rely on a small team of people to do a job that is based largely on opinion.
i dont think GreenLight is all without potential. But right now GreenLight is the equivalent of the Android app store. shit upon shit upon shit, with little to no control of quality and plagiarism. I do not find the rare find worth the pile of things punted into it. Not to mention i believe that most hits as you would call it are mere luck, seeing that most good games dont get needed fame anyway. Something like the Apple app store is what it should be.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
l3o2828 said:
And yet we don't have No One Lives Forever games on Steam.
Good point. Day-one buys for me, just like the Thief series. I still have my disks, but I like owning them on my account for convenience sake.