Frauds Plague Steam's Greenlight

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
This is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, we've been waiting 8 years now, 5 since Episode 2 and we have not seen or heard a peep of anything, we don't even know if it is still in production.
Right, so it's been a 5-year wait. I assume you don't say that the last shit you took was the shit you shit 5 shits ago. Or... something.
WHAT!!!!

What does me ceasing defecation for half a decade have to do with this?

My issue is not JUST that it hasn't been released... but that we have had not update or clear indication of commitment.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
draythefingerless said:
Treblaine said:
draythefingerless said:
This Greenlight thing is a huge pile of shit. It went just as i predicted. filled to the brim with generic uninteresting games, lazily made, 50% of wich are blatant ripoffs of other games, without any imagination or effort to differentiate and add interesting thigns to them.
What's the matter with rip-offs?

Imagine if after Doom or Quake it was verboten to be "so unoriginal" to make an FPS. Remember for the first 10 years of FPS games they were all called "doom clones" or when in 3D "Quake clones".

As long as the rip-offs are good and not level-by-level clones then what is the problem?

Why is it OK for a developer to make a very similar derivative just as long as they call it a sequel?
you DO notice the part in my post where i mention they are ripoffs with irrelevant levels of differentiation or imagination inputted right? im not the kind of guy who would call evth a COD clone, but i know blatant lazy ripoffs when i see them. all over the GreenLight pages.
Sorry, I didn't appreciate that part of your post.

Did any glaring cases of plagirism-like rip-offing stand out enough to you that you could point them out to the thread?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:
But I'm not surprised at the backlash at Half Life, it's mainly from console players who would rather play the latest degree iteration of Call Of Duty: Aim-Assist Warfare and have consternation at a series like Half Life getting acclaim when it's not about burly military men shooting endless waves of Russians in the exact same way over, and over, and over again but rather about the purity of FPS immersion and seamless storytelling.
No, no it's not. It's about people sick of very vocal fans of a single presumably-aborted franchise bringing up a non-existent, no-longer-relevant game in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE about the largest, most popular digital-distribution company. And yes, I have played Half-life and Half-life 2.

And I'm mostly a PC gamer.
Oh come on, why is this so much with Half Life but not with the likes of Mass Effect or other fandoms?

No longer relevant? Yahtzee has said often enough that he's fed up with what passes for innovation in 2012 being nothing but catching up with what Valve did in 2004. Half Life 2 and episodes were hugely popular and ended on a cliffhanger with promise of resolution. It's very relevant.

And it is very relevant in this article WHICH DIRECTLY ADDRESSES HALF LIFE 3!!!!

"Steam's Greenlight service has deleted five versions of Half Life 3..."

" It didn't take long before games that existed in name only or were obvious attempts to troll - Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3,"

""I've already seen just in the last HOUR two entries for Mass Effect 3, five various entries for Half Life 3 ... ""

"Greenlight is there to meet your needs. Just no Half Life 3. Sorry 'bout that."

Four. Four references. Somehow not relevant.

This is nothing but backlash of "well I don't care, but I care that you care".
So Yahtzee's ignorant about what game innovation really is, and has really weird ideas about what makes a game a game (See - his complete missing of the point of random dungeon layouts in dungeon-crawlers). What else is new?

The problem I had with your comment was entirely with your attack on everyone annoyed by the incessant whining about Half-Life 3's need to come out is not just angry that it's not "their" favored franchise (Which you moronically assume is Call of Duty, which you then ignorantly and grossly misrepresent), and that they're intellectually inferior and incapable of thinking for themselves [http://xkcd.com/610/].
Hmmm, so Yahtzees opinion is objectively incorrect? He was talking about FPS games, not dungeon crawlers, now THAT is not relevant here.

Come on, you're not new to Escapist, you know how almost every other week another thread starts by someone like "Soap360" asking what's so important about Half life 2 complaining that it doesn't have a "good multiplayer" or even aim-down sights mechanic. Mods tend to lock or delete them though. You can't deny COD's huge popularity or how often the foul-mouthed community has been dismissive of Half Life series. It's a safe bet.

"intellectually inferior and incapable of thinking for themselves"

Lol nope. Re-read/read-for-the-fist-time my WHOLE post. No skimming.

That's XKCD comic is completely irrelevant, and I find it pretty disingenuous that you try to associate it.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Okay, this thing turned out waaaay different than what I thought it was going to be.

I thought it would be complete or nearly-complete games that Valve was considering adding to their catalogue already that users could prioritize for them. Not something where any jerk could post anything they wanted.

Bottom line, I'm with those people who are saying they want to see finished games only on the list, and not have it be just another version of kickstarter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
This is getting ridiculous with Half Life 3, we've been waiting 8 years now, 5 since Episode 2 and we have not seen or heard a peep of anything, we don't even know if it is still in production.
Right, so it's been a 5-year wait. I assume you don't say that the last shit you took was the shit you shit 5 shits ago. Or... something.
WHAT!!!!

My issue is not JUST that it hasn't been released... but that we have had not update or clear indication of commitment.
You said we've been waiting 8 years, which we haven't - we've been waiting 5.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:
Scow2 said:
Treblaine said:
But I'm not surprised at the backlash at Half Life, it's mainly from console players who would rather play the latest degree iteration of Call Of Duty: Aim-Assist Warfare and have consternation at a series like Half Life getting acclaim when it's not about burly military men shooting endless waves of Russians in the exact same way over, and over, and over again but rather about the purity of FPS immersion and seamless storytelling.
No, no it's not. It's about people sick of very vocal fans of a single presumably-aborted franchise bringing up a non-existent, no-longer-relevant game in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE about the largest, most popular digital-distribution company. And yes, I have played Half-life and Half-life 2.

And I'm mostly a PC gamer.
Oh come on, why is this so much with Half Life but not with the likes of Mass Effect or other fandoms?

No longer relevant? Yahtzee has said often enough that he's fed up with what passes for innovation in 2012 being nothing but catching up with what Valve did in 2004. Half Life 2 and episodes were hugely popular and ended on a cliffhanger with promise of resolution. It's very relevant.

And it is very relevant in this article WHICH DIRECTLY ADDRESSES HALF LIFE 3!!!!

"Steam's Greenlight service has deleted five versions of Half Life 3..."

" It didn't take long before games that existed in name only or were obvious attempts to troll - Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3,"

""I've already seen just in the last HOUR two entries for Mass Effect 3, five various entries for Half Life 3 ... ""

"Greenlight is there to meet your needs. Just no Half Life 3. Sorry 'bout that."

Four. Four references. Somehow not relevant.

This is nothing but backlash of "well I don't care, but I care that you care".
So Yahtzee's ignorant about what game innovation really is, and has really weird ideas about what makes a game a game (See - his complete missing of the point of random dungeon layouts in dungeon-crawlers). What else is new?

The problem I had with your comment was entirely with your attack on everyone annoyed by the incessant whining about Half-Life 3's need to come out is not just angry that it's not "their" favored franchise (Which you moronically assume is Call of Duty, which you then ignorantly and grossly misrepresent), and that they're intellectually inferior and incapable of thinking for themselves [http://xkcd.com/610/].
Hmmm, so Yahtzees opinion is objectively incorrect? He was talking about FPS games, not dungeon crawlers, now THAT is not relevant here.

Come on, you're not new to Escapist, you know how almost every other week another thread starts by someone like "Soap360" asking what's so important about Half life 2 complaining that it doesn't have a "good multiplayer" or even aim-down sights mechanic. Mods tend to lock or delete them though. You can't deny COD's huge popularity or how often the foul-mouthed community has been dismissive of Half Life series. It's a safe bet.

"intellectually inferior and incapable of thinking for themselves"

Lol nope. Re-read/read-for-the-fist-time my WHOLE post. No skimming.

That's XKCD comic is completely irrelevant, and I find it pretty disingenuous that you try to associate it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

8 years since a proper numbered Iteration, 5 since an expansion pack. I wasn't deceptive, I spelled it out: "5 (years) since Episode 2".

The wait from release of Half Life 1 to release of Half life 2 was 6 years (not including Blue Shift or Opposing Force) and there was news about Half Life 2 several years before it came out. Half Life 2 was revealed at E3 in May 2003, 4 and a half years since Half Life 1 released, and less than 2 years since the latest expansion (Half Life Blue Shift) came out.

5 years alone is long enough to wait for a final expansion promised and increasingly clear that a full numbered sequel is due, or at least some solid news of where this series left on a cliffhanger is going.

What part of this don't you understand? Why do I have to spell this out?

Halo fans complained enough about waiting 3 years from Halo 2 to Halo 3, after the previous entry ended on (kind of) a cliffhanger and they got news of Halo 3 promptly with a timetable for release.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I saw a couple interesting, and real, looking games on the first couple of pages of greenlight so it's a shame that so much shit is obscuring the gold...

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I already found several games through Greenlight I've never heard of which I'm seriously considering to buy now. Even if it may not work as well as it could be (the service has only just launched anyway) it's still a good thing that it exists.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

8 years since a proper numbered Iteration, 5 since an expansion pack. I wasn't deceptive, I spelled it out: "5 (years) since Episode 2".

The wait from release of Half Life 1 to release of Half life 2 was 6 years (not including Blue Shift or Opposing Force) and there was news about Half Life 2 several years before it came out. Half Life 2 was revealed at E3 in May 2003, 4 and a half years since Half Life 1 released, and less than 2 years since the latest expansion (Half Life Blue Shift) came out.

5 years alone is long enough to wait for a final expansion promised and increasingly clear that a full numbered sequel is due, or at least some solid news of where this series left on a cliffhanger is going.

Halo fans complained enough about waiting 3 years from Halo 2 to Halo 3, after the previous entry ended on (kind of) a cliffhanger and they got news of Halo 3 promptly with a timetable for release.
Because the episodes weren't expansion packs, they were direct episodic sequels designed to continue the series, not supplement it. The original plan was that the episodes take the place of a full-blown game, not exist along-side one.

It's a 5 year wait, not 8.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

Because the episodes weren't expansion packs, they were direct episodic sequels designed to continue the series, not supplement it. The original plan was that the episodes take the place of a full-blown game, not exist along-side one.

Episodic content is a TYPE OF expansion pack.

They weren't sequels as they were called "Half Life 2: episode 2"

It's been well established since 1998 that an expansion pack is still an expansion pack even if it stands alone.

Either way less than 2 years wait between Half Life Blue Shift and the announcement with details of Half Life 2.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

It's been well established since 1998 that an expansion pack is still an expansion pack even if it stands alone.

Either way less than 2 years wait between Half Life Blue Shift and the announcement with details of Half Life 2.
Which is great, except: "The original plan was that the episodes take the place of a full-blown game, not exist along-side one."

The entire idea was that they released episodic sequels so that people don't spend forever waiting for the resolution to a cliff-hanger, and so they could maintain a shorter but more consistent momentum with the story. Obviously that didn't go exactly as planned, but you've not been waiting 8 years to find out what happens after Half-Life 2, you've been waiting 5 years to find out what happens after Episode 2.

Point being, you're being disingenuous about the wait and using it to justify an, "oooh, they us owe right this second" demand.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

Which is great, except: "The original plan was that the episodes take the place of a full-blown game, not exist along-side one."

The entire idea was that they released episodic sequels so that people don't spend forever waiting for the resolution to a cliff-hanger, and so they could maintain a shorter but more consistent momentum with the story. Obviously that didn't go exactly as planned, but you've not been waiting 8 years to find out what happens after Half-Life 2, you've been waiting 5 years to find out what happens after Episode 2.

Point being, you're being disingenuous about the wait and using it to justify an, "oooh, they us owe right this second" demand.
Well that may HAVE (past tense) been the plan but they obviously abandoned that plan long before Episode 2 was even released.

If the plan was episodic sequels for the continuing future, why did they keep the "Half Life 2" part of the title so prominently? This "episodes for all future Half Life instalment" was a pipe dream that was not followed in practice... clearly.

"so that people don't spend forever waiting for the resolution to a cliff-hanger"

Well there has NOT been a speedy resolution to the cliffhanger ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2, it's been 5 years and we have heard NOTHING! It's not that I want the game released... I JUST WANT TO BE TOLD SOMETHING OFFICIAL! Give us an idea how much longer to wait.

I'm not being disingenuous, I have made it ball achingly clear that I jsut want to be informed and yet you are acting like my demand is (with inappropriate use of quotation marks as I I said ANYTHING like this):

"oooh, they us owe right this second"

Lets be clear, I have not been disingenous as I SPELLED THIS OUT IN THE ORIGINAL POST!

It has been 8 years since a MAJOR INSTALLANT, but it has been 5 years since WE HAVE HEARD ANYTHING. It's not so much a problem that no game has been released, the problem is the lack of communication, lack of any kind of timetable. Valve should tell us SOMETHING about what they even hope to achieve in the next few years with the Half Life universe.

NOTE: please don't mistake Caps-Locks for "yelling". It is not yelling. Look in any legal document and you'll see whole paragraphs in block capitals as even lawyers resort to using block capitals so you ACTUALLY READ what is posted, rather than skim over it or misunderstand key parts. Like how I asked for communication, not demand an immediate release.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

Well that may HAVE (past tense) been the plan but they obviously abandoned that plan long before Episode 2 was even released.

If the plan was episodic sequels for the continuing future, why did they keep the "Half Life 2" part of the title so prominently? This "episodes for all future Half Life instalment" was a pipe dream that was not followed in practice... clearly.

"so that people don't spend forever waiting for the resolution to a cliff-hanger"

Well there has NOT been a speedy resolution to the cliffhanger ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2, it's been 5 years and we have heard NOTHING! It's not that I want the game released... I JUST WANT TO BE TOLD SOMETHING OFFICIAL! Give us an idea how much longer to wait.

I'm not being disingenuous, I have made it ball achingly clear that I jsut want to be informed and yet you are acting like my demand is (with inappropriate use of quotation marks as I I said ANYTHING like this):

Lets be clear, I have not been disingenous as I SPELLED THIS OUT IN THE ORIGINAL POST!

It has been 8 years since a MAJOR INSTALLANT, but it has been 5 years since WE HAVE HEARD ANYTHING. It's not so much a problem that no game has been released, the problem is the lack of communication, lack of any kind of timetable. Valve should tell us SOMETHING about what they even hope to achieve in the next few years with the Half Life universe.

NOTE: please don't mistake Caps-Locks for "yelling". It is not yelling. Look in any legal document and you'll see whole paragraphs in block capitals as even lawyers resort to using block capitals so you ACTUALLY READ what is posted, rather than skim over it or misunderstand key parts. Like how I asked for communication, not demand an immediate release.
There's no need to yell.

And perhaps because it deals with the same characters and pertains to the same location as HL2, doesn't make it an expansion pack. Anyway, this is becoming a rather long conversation just to establish that the last instalment was 5 years ago and that counting from HL2 is pretty arbitrary.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

There's no need to yell.

And perhaps because it deals with the same characters and pertains to the same location as HL2, doesn't make it an expansion pack. Anyway, this is becoming a rather long conversation just to establish that the last instalment was 5 years ago and that counting from HL2 is pretty arbitrary.
I

Just

Explained...

That using caps-lock was absolutely not in any way yelling.

How is it not an expansion pack because it's involving the same characters and location?!?! Half Life 2 was considered a proper sequel as it had so many new characters and a totally different location and premise.

The HL2 Episodes literally EXPANDED on the events around City 17.

Establish?!!? I established in my VERY FIRST POST on this forum that the last HL2 entry was 5 years ago?!?! You haven't established anything, you have claimed I said things that I did not say. Here is what I said:

Treblaine said:

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
Greenlight is just Valve showing the community the amount of crap they usually have to sort through by themselves.

Pretty genius move methinks. XD

What I don't get is why there aren't more categories. I mean...why are there fully developed games right next to "simple" mods? When I say simple, I don't mean to diminish the worth of the work on these mods, but I just think the two shouldn't necessarily be compared.

Why is there no different section for games already launched and being sold as opposed to games currently in production?

Lots of questions here, but eh. Let Valve sort it out I say.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

There's no need to yell.

I

Just

Explained...

How is it not an expansion pack because it's involving the same characters and location?!?! Half Life 2 was considered a proper sequel as it had so many new characters and a totally different location and premise.

Establish?!!? I established in my VERY FIRST POST on this forum that the last HL2 entry was 5 years ago?!?! You haven't established anything, you have claimed I said things that I did not say. Here is what I said:

Treblaine said:
Ahem:

Treblaine said:
And as I'm sure we've now established through this terrifically long and engaging conversation, there's not been an 8 year wait.

They're episodic sequels. Expansion packs and full sequels aren't the only options. There's no point acting as if we've been waiting 8 years since HL2 if we already know what happens after HL2. Not to mention, expansion packs are non-vital to understanding.

I doubt that skipping the Episodes is going to do you many favours if you play HL3 straight after HL2.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

There's no need to yell.

I

Just

Explained...

Treblaine said:
Ahem:

Treblaine said:
And as I'm sure we've now established through this terrifically long and engaging conversation, there's not been an 8 year wait.

They're episodic sequels. Expansion packs and full sequels aren't the only options. There's no point acting as if we've been waiting 8 years since HL2 if we already know what happens after HL2. Not to mention, expansion packs are non-vital to understanding.

I doubt that skipping the Episodes is going to do you many favours if you play HL3 straight after HL2.
You are BLATANTLY ignoring the "5 since Episode" is "5 years wait since episode 2" which is not helpful.

I'm not acting like I've been waiting 8 years since ANY Half Life game, I am saying 8 years since the MAJOR iteration, 5 since ANY instalment.

HL2 Episodes function like the Expansion packs of HL1 (Opposing Force and Blue Shift), they are extras around the same events but no compensation.

Imagine if we didn't get ANY NEWS AT ALL about Half Life 2 even in 2006, that's 8 years after Half Life 1. That's the situation right now after Half Life to and the Episodic expansion packs.

And yes, Half Life 2 Episode 1 and Episode 2 are both expansion packs.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
Woodsey said:
Treblaine said:
WHAT!!!!

There's no need to yell.

I

Just

Explained...

Treblaine said:
Ahem:

Treblaine said:

You are BLATANTLY ignoring the "5 since Episode" is "5 years wait since episode 2" which is not helpful.

I'm not acting like I've been waiting 8 years since ANY Half Life game, I am saying 8 years since the MAJOR iteration, 5 since ANY instalment.

HL2 Episodes function like the Expansion packs of HL1 (Opposing Force and Blue Shift), they are extras around the same events but no compensation.

Imagine if we didn't get ANY NEWS AT ALL about Half Life 2 even in 2006, that's 8 years after Half Life 1. That's the situation right now after Half Life to and the Episodic expansion packs.

And yes, Half Life 2 Episode 1 and Episode 2 are both expansion packs.
The 5 years bit is irrelevant. The point was that making any sort of attempt to suggest there's been an 8 year wait is wrong.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Woodsey said:
The 5 years bit is irrelevant. The point was that making any sort of attempt to suggest there's been an 8 year wait is wrong.
It's totally relevant... because it was what I said.

You can't argue with what I actually said, only what you misrespresent that I said.

It HAS been 8 years since a major instalment (Half Life 1, Half Life 2, half Life 3) and I said this.

It HAS been 5 years since any smaller instalment like an episodic expansion pack, and I said this!