Free Browser-Based Catan Anytime Preview Released by Microsoft

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Free Browser-Based Catan Anytime Preview Released by Microsoft

Microsoft is creating a virtual version of the popular tabletop game of barter trading, The Settlers of Catan.

Currently playable in beta, Catan Anytime is a free, browser-based version of The Settlers of Catan in development by the Internet Explorer team. Designed for touch displays and playable on any device with a modern browser, Catan Anytime isn't even restricted to Internet Explorer as a platform - thanks, Microsoft!

Catan Anytime is the result of a partnership between Internet Explorer and publishers of Catan, Mayfair Games and Bontom Games. The complete Catan ruleset: Development cards, Achievements, and Ports will be released at GamesCon in August.

In the current beta - or preview, as they call it - you can play one turn before you have to register to keep playing. Features included in the digital version include auto-trade and auto-roll functionality, as well as email notifications for when you are away from the game.

The Settlers of Catan has sold 20 million copies and is now available in over 30 languages.

You can try out Catan Anytime right here [http://www.catananytime.com/?utm_source=Blog&utm_medium=PR&utm_content=Exploring%20IE%20Blog&utm_campaign=Catan%20Launch].

How do you feel about bringing asynchronous gameplay to The Settlers of Catan? I'm generally a fan of asynchronous play, but when a game has a strong social component, some of that human contact is lost, as is the magic of the game.

Source: Windows Blog [http://blogs.windows.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2014/07/24/sheep-for-wheat-anyone-internet-explorer-releases-preview-of-new-social-catan-web-experience-for-free-play.aspx]

Editor's Note: A prior version of this article implied that Mayfair and Bontom Games were the creators of The Settlers of Catan, rather than the publishers. The designer of The Settlers of Catan is Klaus Teuber. The error has been corrected.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
After going to the actual game it would have looked better with flat textures and gradients like what the small picture here looks like it would have.

Seeing it fullsize with weird texture doesnt look that good.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF they would port this to the WiiU I think it could become THE game for the system.
-As long as everyone had a WiiUmote.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
What? The fun of Settlers lies in desperately bartering with whoever has become the local wheat baron whilst hoping no one notices all those progress cards you've been sitting on. Asynchronous play doesn't really suit that.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Sigh... I was actually interested there for a second. Then IE came and ruined everything.

I'm not even going to try it. If I do, the terrorists win.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Shamanic Rhythm said:
What? The fun of Settlers lies in desperately bartering with whoever has become the local wheat baron whilst hoping no one notices all those progress cards you've been sitting on. Asynchronous play doesn't really suit that.
I agree; Settlers is not such a fun game that you play it in of itself. It's only suited to a boardgame because of the social dynamics of it. As a game, it's rather meh.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Catan Anytime is the result of a partnership between Internet Explorer and creators of Catan, Mayfair Games and Bontom Games.
Sorry, no. The creator of Settlers of Catan is Klaus Teuber. Maybe those companies published it in the US but they did not create it.

ran88dom99

Feb 3, 2011
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323/item/134488#item134488
8 with AI.
There is a second list on BBG in case those 8 are not enough.