Free to Play MMOGs Testing "Kwedit" Score System

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Seems to me that its just a system that works for impatient people. They say that its for people who want an item, but the store isnt open for them to buy it. Well... how about you actually be patient and buy it the next day? In free to play MMOs I rarely - no, never - see an item thats so important you need to borrow money to buy immediately. If they need it for that particular moment in time, it must be for a raid etc. In which case.. why didnt they pre-plan and buy it before that day? The stupidity and pointlessness of this plan baffles me

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
UnkeptBiscuit said:
Aside from the ridiculous name, there are two pretty major flaws with this system. Firstly, if people don't pay, then how are the devs gonna get their money back? Also, how does Kwedit Inc. make its money?
The dev's don't need to get their money back, if someone doesn't pay, they've lost a virtual item, which has cots 0$ to "produce" in the first place, and then the player can't use their credit (i refuse to use the other name) any more.
So they'll make money off of teh people who use it, and pays, and loose nothing on the people who don't.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
I think the idea is giving people something virtual, hoping they'll pay, but not giving a shit if they don't because virtual stuff isn't actually worth anything. They're basically telling us that code has no value.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
So make a bot to make accounts and get as many items as possible, got it. China's probably got a few rearing to go as we speak.

Gaias

Apr 2, 2009
Its a virtual item that can be duplicated an unlimited amount of times. You can't lose money on an item that doesn't exist in the physical world and can only gain if they actually pay for what isn't real. The real concern money wise, is keeping open the collection side of it at participating merchant locations.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Gaias said:
Its a virtual item that can be duplicated an unlimited amount of times. You can't lose money on an item that doesn't exist in the physical world and can only gain if they actually pay for what isn't real. The real concern money wise, is keeping open the collection side of it at participating merchant locations.
Apparently you can.

Isn't that the entire idea behind piracy.

People are stealing something that is metaphysical (well okay it IS physical but infinitely replicable makes it sound metaphysical).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well speaking for my limited experience, when I tried some of these games you typically found people willing to sell just about any item in the stores for vast amounts of in-game money, so chances are if you REALLY wanted something you could get it just by playing, albiet in some cases spending an insane amount of time grinding which was the entire point (ie someone being too lazy to do it themselves).

That said, I think this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I can just see a future of stupid kids getting "sharked" for free to play game items. Or worse yet... this being the very beginning of a dark future where unlike "Repo Men"/"Repo The Genetic Opera" you will
see people being roped into buying non-existant items for their virtual games or lifestyles and then being hunted down and murdered IRL for not being able to pay.

Seriously though, the whole idea sounds just as absurd to me as some of the things going on with those "Entropia" games.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
With people starting to swear off credit cards and actually budgeting and saving for emergencies and nice stuff, this is all we need to get back in debt.
Taawus said:
Props goes to Elmer Fudd for coming up with the concept.
Thank you for the one reason to make me smile in all of this. :D

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is a rather detrimental credit risk for both the company and the userbase. And "Kwedit" just sounds pathetically childish, literally.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of ways to abuse this system by buying an item using Kwedits and then selling it for either in-game currency and to sell that currency for real life money, or to sell the item directly.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
This is in no way an attempt to get around the fact that some kids aren't ready to steal their parents credit card. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than an MMO dev.

War Pony

Feb 19, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
And "Kwedit" just sounds pathetically childish, literally.
This I was going to bring up. Glad to see someone else thought of it like that, too. I mean seriously, I find it patronizing.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Woem said:
I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of ways to abuse this system by buying an item using Kwedits and then selling it for either in-game currency and to sell that currency for real life money, or to sell the item directly.
A few simple lines of code will tie that item to the account.

lanternmiller

Mar 20, 2010
I remember Colbert covering all of this. "And how do they recover the money you don't repay?" - They bweak your wegs? -

I don't see it as a "scam", they offer a very low quality game and convince/trick you into buying stuff.... That doesn't exist. But you make the choice, they don't force you.