FREE!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

I really wish I was joking, but there are such people who take issue with it.
And they do it with a straight face because they don't seem to understand the fanservice they've been watching.

Generally speaking.

wetfart said:
Oh ... and here I thought Erin was just fluent in Japanese. :(
No, just fluent in body language. >.>

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm quadruply glad that your back and you better not leave.
*Infinite +1 Glomps*
Now then to slink back into my hole and watch from the sidelines......
*Goes back to lurking*

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
That's normal. Pretty people are much more attractive when they don't/can't say words you understand. It's like baby babble; adorable.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I remember someone linking me to a humorous episode recap/review of one of the episodes in this series, sadly I forgot who made it so I can't find it. :(

Anyways, yeah, gotta hand it to the anime creators: at least they're equal opportunists when it comes to fanservice. :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"My little swimmer can't possibly be this otter-mode"

Have I mentioned how much I adore your tagging skills?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Oh, getting off on fanservice are we, Erin? As much as it pains me, I need to say something personal about you now.

"Congratulations, you're human."

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
knight steel said:
To all the female escapist out there I have a question-do you find this sexy/Attractive/a turn on and if so why?
Well, I don't generally find anime characters sexy because their faces are usually too stylised. But toned men in swimming trunks are sexy, if that's what you're really asking.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
knight steel said:
For those wanting more information on what this is referencing have a look at this Amv:
To all the female escapist out there I have a question-do you find this sexy/Attractive/a turn on and if so why?
That video might be the funniest thing I've seen all month. It fits so perfectly. I feel oddly dirty watching it.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Hmm, fan-service that targets females, for once. To be honest, I don't have a problem with this. Human beings are sexual creatures; the objectification goes both ways (look at some of the romance novels in book stores). I actually did a little research a while back into the whole portrayal of women thing, and some of the sites I ran into had some interesting counter-points from what I perceive as the feminine view (i.e. women like looking at beef-cake just as much as men like looking at cheese-cake). (Unfortunately, I appear to have lost the links to some of the articles I found; I would have to try to recreate my searches.)

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I remember someone linking me to a humorous episode recap/review of one of the episodes in this series, sadly I forgot who made it so I can't find it. :(

Anyways, yeah, gotta hand it to the anime creators: at least they're equal opportunists when it comes to fanservice. :p
Is it this one?

OT: I'm kinda glad this exists too. Every time someone comes out with the annoying "sexual objectification of women!" argument I can show them that THIS exists...
and they'll shut up! This show is clearly a God-send.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I am male and i appreciate the HUMOUR on Free!
It's surprisingly well timed and uses pauses intelligently.

I can't really comment on the fanservice, but i do think it's less of an eyesore than big titties in anime, so that's something.

Also good comic.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't have an issue with pure fanservice-series (male or female), they're their niche.

Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

In my experience, it tends to be because they view it as 'gay', because they assume it must be fanservice for gay men, not women.
(And I guess it might make them gay if they look at it too much?)

EDIT:
wAriot said:
Legion said:

No one, and I really cannot stress this enough, NO ONE ever took issue with it, at least not outside of random trolling.

This argument is like the one saying that "people didn't like DmC because Dante changed his hair color". THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
Oh, I have seen this many many times.

Usually with the assumption that if you draw an attractive-looking male character, it must mean they're gay.
Not even getting on the whole 'yaoi'-thing, and how many men/boys I have hear complaining about it. (While not having any issue with lesbianism)

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Wow, she's got the same expression I get when I'm watching expertly-executed choreography.

Frankly, the show is very pretty. For what it's worth, the water looks really cool.

Mmm, swimming pools...

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Ah FREE! I look forward to seeing how subtle (or more specifically UN-subtle) they can make the homo-erotic overtones that these kinds of shows seem to require.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

Societies acceptance of casual watching of men for sexual purposes is a sign of oppression from the matriarchy! And it's hypocritical and a double standard to blarhg blaarrrrgghh.
It was hilarious watching male Kyo-Ani fans losing their minds over this just being made. 'silly women, your not proper fans, you don't deserve things like we do... what? its being made? HOW DARE YOU KYO-ANI HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US BY GIVING THE FEMALES WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GIVING US ITS THE END OF TIMES!'

wAriot said:
Legion said:

No one, and I really cannot stress this enough, NO ONE ever took issue with it, at least not outside of random trolling.

This argument is like the one saying that "people didn't like DmC because Dante changed his hair color". THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
Yes. Yes it did.

K-on? Fine. Queens Blade? awesome! Sekirei? the most heartwarming experience since wall-E! Free? OH GOD HOW DARE THEY THIS DISGUSTS ME!

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
My friends keep talking about this and how its so awesome and *insert name of character* is just so dreamy. Unfortunately I'm gay and can't quite see whats so sexy about them X3. The funniest part is that my female friends justify watching this in the exact same way my male friends justified watching that Highschool of the Dead anime. "I'm in it for the story, and there are really good characters and its funny and and..." Just admit you like the fanservice!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Xcell935 said:
RJ 17 said:

Is it this one?
:D Yeah! That's the one! There's a ton of review/recap videos for this show and for the life of me I couldn't remember the one that I had seen and laughed my ass off to (though the video that I had seen was of a later episode, it was definitely by that same guy). Thanks for the reminder, I really enjoy that guy's recap/reviews.

Edit: Actually that was the exact video that I had been linked to before. :3

"I wonder how many ovaries will explode while watching this show..." xD