FREE!

Dec 14, 2009
Silly women, so easily sated by the appearance of glistening manflesh.

When will they ever be as deep and sophisticated as us men?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
But guuuyyssssss!

Societies acceptance of casual watching of men for sexual purposes is a sign of oppression from the matriarchy! And it's hypocritical and a double standard to blarhg blaarrrrgghh.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Did you realise that "silly women" is one Spoonerism away from "willy somen" - and that just sounds like you're saying "willy semen" LOL! j/k

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I see what you did there. Another good strip there lads.

Keep maintaining the same high standard.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

I really wish I was joking, but there are such people who take issue with it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Pretty much like me and Korean girl group. I hate their songs but their music video is much more pleasing with the help of mute button.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I hope Erin sempi notices me today. The only reason it's not deep is because that's just the tip.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
For those wanting more information on what this is referencing have a look at this Amv:
To all the female escapist out there I have a question-do you find this sexy/Attractive/a turn on and if so why?

SquidSponge

Apr 29, 2013
wetfart said:
Oh ... and here I thought Erin was just fluent in Japanese. :(
Funnily enough, that was my initial interpretation too.

By watching a little bit of anime I've picked up a word or two, but I have wondered in the past about those who watch a lot more than me, whether it's possible/practical to pick up conversational fluency just by exposure to anime etc.

It's like a Russian student I once met, she supposedly taught herself English (to the standard where she was successfully studying for a maths degree in England) entirely through watching American films. I always meant to ask her about it, but I haven't seen her in a long time. She was pretty good too - I occasionally had to define the more obscure words I often come out with, but then, I have to do that with the natives sometimes too.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Well, it's honest, fun viewing, if you're into that sort of thing.

Who doesn't enjoy a little sordid viewing now and again?

knight steel said:
To all the female escapist out there I have a question-do you find this sexy/Attractive/a turn on and if so why?
Well, the pretty, wet toned muscular torsos probably help. You know, the stuff women (and men) may find physically attractive?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I remember watching the first ep with my sister, we were drinking wine and we started a drinking game, whenever the words:
-Pool
-Swim
-Ocean
-Water
Were uttered, we would take a drink, we barely made it past the first episode before we began to feel sick.

Also, we were confused by the ending (in a desert, no water at all) But when it hit me, it led to this exchange:
Me: Oh god...
Sis: What?
Me: He is in a desert, he is thirsty...
Sis: Oh for fuck sake...
Then the characters jumping in an Oasis sealed it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I hope Erin sempi notices me today. The only reason it's not deep is because that's just the tip.
You only need the tip.

I'm glad you're back man!

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

Societies acceptance of casual watching of men for sexual purposes is a sign of oppression from the matriarchy! And it's hypocritical and a double standard to blarhg blaarrrrgghh.
Agreed! Rabble-Rabble-Rabble! Anita Sarceesian would approve of this. And use it in her video

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Is this that same "Animation Sexy Swimming" thing that was passed around YouTube for a bit? I might watch it if so. The doe-eyed blonde intrigues me.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

No one, and I really cannot stress this enough, NO ONE ever took issue with it, at least not outside of random trolling.

This argument is like the one saying that "people didn't like DmC because Dante changed his hair color". THIS NEVER HAPPENED.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Legion said:

Are you serious?! Usually female fanservice is hilarious! Just look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... okay, to be fair that panders to the alpha male in us all as well XD

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Porygon-2000 said:
Well, the pretty, wet toned muscular torsos probably help. You know, the stuff women (and men) may find physically attractive?
Wait are you telling me that people find fitness attractive!?
And all this time I thought that it was fatness that turned people on............my entire life is a LIE :p
DVS BSTrD said:
Gwhahahahaha That made me laugh thanks Boss you nearly made me wake my parent's :D
Evil Smurf said:
You only need the tip.

Hey I'm back to you know-Aren't you going to welcome me back X_X
I missed you smurf
*GLOMPS*

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You only need the tip.

it's good to be back, I've been here awhile but I missed the first page of Whit Guy Defense force.
knight steel said:
I missed you smurf
*GLOMPS*
I'm glad you're back knight steel
*DOUBLE GLOMPS*

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:

And they do it with a straight face because they don't seem to understand the fanservice they've been watching.

Generally speaking.

wetfart said:
Oh ... and here I thought Erin was just fluent in Japanese. :(
No, just fluent in body language. >.>

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm quadruply glad that your back and you better not leave.
*Infinite +1 Glomps*
Now then to slink back into my hole and watch from the sidelines......
*Goes back to lurking*

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
That's normal. Pretty people are much more attractive when they don't/can't say words you understand. It's like baby babble; adorable.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I love how "My little X cant possibly be this Y" has become common usage as a joke for Anime in general.

Because this strip deals with anime, let me be the first to write "My little Evangelion cant possibly be this DEEP AND MEANINGFUL".

There, now we can focus on the fanservice without..... distractions.....

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I remember someone linking me to a humorous episode recap/review of one of the episodes in this series, sadly I forgot who made it so I can't find it. :(

Anyways, yeah, gotta hand it to the anime creators: at least they're equal opportunists when it comes to fanservice. :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"My little swimmer can't possibly be this otter-mode"

Have I mentioned how much I adore your tagging skills?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Oh, getting off on fanservice are we, Erin? As much as it pains me, I need to say something personal about you now.

"Congratulations, you're human."

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
knight steel said:
Well, I don't generally find anime characters sexy because their faces are usually too stylised. But toned men in swimming trunks are sexy, if that's what you're really asking.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
knight steel said:
For those wanting more information on what this is referencing have a look at this Amv:
That video might be the funniest thing I've seen all month. It fits so perfectly. I feel oddly dirty watching it.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Hmm, fan-service that targets females, for once. To be honest, I don't have a problem with this. Human beings are sexual creatures; the objectification goes both ways (look at some of the romance novels in book stores). I actually did a little research a while back into the whole portrayal of women thing, and some of the sites I ran into had some interesting counter-points from what I perceive as the feminine view (i.e. women like looking at beef-cake just as much as men like looking at cheese-cake). (Unfortunately, I appear to have lost the links to some of the articles I found; I would have to try to recreate my searches.)

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I remember someone linking me to a humorous episode recap/review of one of the episodes in this series, sadly I forgot who made it so I can't find it. :(

Anyways, yeah, gotta hand it to the anime creators: at least they're equal opportunists when it comes to fanservice. :p
Is it this one?

OT: I'm kinda glad this exists too. Every time someone comes out with the annoying "sexual objectification of women!" argument I can show them that THIS exists...
and they'll shut up! This show is clearly a God-send.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I am male and i appreciate the HUMOUR on Free!
It's surprisingly well timed and uses pauses intelligently.

I can't really comment on the fanservice, but i do think it's less of an eyesore than big titties in anime, so that's something.

Also good comic.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't have an issue with pure fanservice-series (male or female), they're their niche.

Legion said:

In my experience, it tends to be because they view it as 'gay', because they assume it must be fanservice for gay men, not women.
(And I guess it might make them gay if they look at it too much?)

EDIT:
wAriot said:
Legion said:

No one, and I really cannot stress this enough, NO ONE ever took issue with it, at least not outside of random trolling.

This argument is like the one saying that "people didn't like DmC because Dante changed his hair color". THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
Oh, I have seen this many many times.

Usually with the assumption that if you draw an attractive-looking male character, it must mean they're gay.
Not even getting on the whole 'yaoi'-thing, and how many men/boys I have hear complaining about it. (While not having any issue with lesbianism)

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Wow, she's got the same expression I get when I'm watching expertly-executed choreography.

Frankly, the show is very pretty. For what it's worth, the water looks really cool.

Mmm, swimming pools...

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Ah FREE! I look forward to seeing how subtle (or more specifically UN-subtle) they can make the homo-erotic overtones that these kinds of shows seem to require.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

It was hilarious watching male Kyo-Ani fans losing their minds over this just being made. 'silly women, your not proper fans, you don't deserve things like we do... what? its being made? HOW DARE YOU KYO-ANI HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US BY GIVING THE FEMALES WHAT YOU'VE BEEN GIVING US ITS THE END OF TIMES!'

wAriot said:
Legion said:

Yes. Yes it did.

K-on? Fine. Queens Blade? awesome! Sekirei? the most heartwarming experience since wall-E! Free? OH GOD HOW DARE THEY THIS DISGUSTS ME!

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
My friends keep talking about this and how its so awesome and *insert name of character* is just so dreamy. Unfortunately I'm gay and can't quite see whats so sexy about them X3. The funniest part is that my female friends justify watching this in the exact same way my male friends justified watching that Highschool of the Dead anime. "I'm in it for the story, and there are really good characters and its funny and and..." Just admit you like the fanservice!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Xcell935 said:
RJ 17 said:

Is it this one?
:D Yeah! That's the one! There's a ton of review/recap videos for this show and for the life of me I couldn't remember the one that I had seen and laughed my ass off to (though the video that I had seen was of a later episode, it was definitely by that same guy). Thanks for the reminder, I really enjoy that guy's recap/reviews.

Edit: Actually that was the exact video that I had been linked to before. :3

"I wonder how many ovaries will explode while watching this show..." xD

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Playful Pony said:
My friends keep talking about this and how its so awesome and *insert name of character* is just so dreamy. Unfortunately I'm gay and can't quite see whats so sexy about them X3. The funniest part is that my female friends justify watching this in the exact same way my male friends justified watching that Highschool of the Dead anime. "I'm in it for the story, and there are really good characters and its funny and and..." Just admit you like the fanservice!
Was Highschool of the Dead the one with boobs as gun rests?

I'm far from an expert on anime, but I do admit to having felt a tingle during fanservice-y scenes of the few series I watched.

Is there any visual medium without fanservice in it? Frankly, I have a hard time believing that anyone can watch something and be completely unaffected by fanservice in it (either way).

Was that a tangent? I'm pretty sure I went on a tangent there. Uh... Kickstarting anime rocks, I guess?

EDIT: Just noticed how my statement looks next to your post. I didn't actually mean I don't believe you not drooling over FREE! because of your preferences. It was more of a generalized statement, that when the viewer sees fanservice aimed at them, it's gonna affect the experience.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I don't like "Free".

I prefer my fanservice to have some sort of pretense of a plot, or manlier figures (see: my avatar).

Still, I applaud "Free"'s existance because women, too, can now say they look at dumb animes only for the visual fanservice! Finally! (?)

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Playful Pony said:
"I watch if for the plot." has basically become code for "DAT ASS!"

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Grey, are you going to share the name of that show? :<

I really want to know.

Good strip as always.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

Two posts for someone to both bring up feminine focused sexism in an unrelated thread and to bash straw man feminists. New record for being bad at human discussion?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Ok? I'm not sure if this was supposed have a message (okay, actually I do, but just let me have this), but I know plenty of women who would do this, so I took it at face value as a non-joke/statement. I had at least 2 female friends in high school who I know for sure would watch Full Metal Panic or Hellsing or something and sploosh one out over the guys. I think I recall FMP having some female-oriented fan service here and there.

Edit. Ohhhh, okay. So it wasn't a swing at "this is how guys are, see here is what it would be like if girls did it" or whatever kind of flamebaitish thing I was thinking of, it's referencing an actual anime I was unaware of that is basically female fanservice incarnate. Well, the more you know :)

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
GrinningCat said:

I really want to know.

Good strip as always.
It's in the title. Its "Free!" That's the anime.

OT: Yeah, that's exactly the reaction my sister got when she started watching the show as well.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Two posts for someone to both bring up feminine focused sexism in an unrelated thread and to bash straw man feminists. New record for being bad at human discussion?
wut is sarcasm

is that like being completely serious? im not good at computer

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
xaszatm said:
GrinningCat said:

I really want to know.

Good strip as always.
It's in the title. Its "Free!" That's the anime.

OT: Yeah, that's exactly the reaction my sister got when she started watching the show as well.
Oh, thank you. I didn't realize that. I just assumed it was yet another Grey Carter title that I didn't get. It happens often.

I'm also not much experienced with anime. My entire repertoire consists of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Black Butler. Maybe some Naruto, but that's a bad show.

Thanks again!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Honestly, I never got why some people exploded over FREE! being a thing. I mean, males are already catered to a lot in anime, so it only makes sense that animation studios eventually try to go in the opposite direction. You know, expanding the market and stuff.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Blood Brain Barrier said:
geizr said:
Hmm, fan-service that targets females, for once.
For once? Ever watched any soap operas?
Not since my childhood days (which was about 2.5 decades ago) when I caught only snippets in passing because my sister would watch them all the time with her friends. But, that is a good point. Regardless, I think my general point about objectification going both ways is still reasonably valid; admittedly, in video games, it seems fairly one-sided, hence the brouhaha over it all.

Actually, that opens a question, in what other forms of creative productions do we find a significant level of male-objectification targeted at women? I mentioned romance novels; you mentioned soap operas. Do we find it anywhere else? Just how common is it? Do most gamers (at least the vocal ones) fail to notice it because they simply don't have an interest in the things where male-objectification would be found in prevalence?

More and more, as I have grown older, I've learned that many of the things people waste time having heartburn and bowel disruption over really don't matter worth a damn. Most of the people engaged in these "Us vs. Them" ideological wars just need to reconnect with reality (which tends to sit almost squarely in the middle of the opposing extremes of view) and learn to get over themselves.

VERY OFF-TOPIC: If you're African-American, as I am, turns out we have an 80% chance to be lactose intolerant. I discovered that I was lactose intolerant when my GI doctor persuaded me to take a lactose intolerance test. As a result, I was put on a lactose free diet, and I have to say that my body feels like it is 20 years younger. Turns out that the lactose, because it is not being broken into glucose and galactose to be absorbed in the small intestine, passes into the colon where the bacteria there ferments the sugar into all kinds of toxins that poison the body. Since removing lactose from my diet (you can get lactose-free milk, for example, which just has the lactase enzyme added to break down the lactose for you), my body has had more energy than I have had in years; the constant over body aches and muscular tension that I would always have has completely subsided, and burning, painful sensations I would always get in my face and sinuses has just completely disappeared. My cognitive abilities have jumped considerably; for instance, my reading speed spontaneously increased by a factor of 2. Seriously, guys, I'm not lying about any of this. I used to kid about being naturally drunk, but turns out that really was a true state of existence for me. The bacteria in my gut was constantly producing ethanol, along with other toxic chemicals, because of all the diary and other lactose laden foods I would eat (such as various breads). Also, for quite some time, I have been a sufferer of IBS, and even that has now subsided after going lactose free. For those interested, here's a link to a medical research paper I came across hypothesizing the link between the bacterial mechanism associated with lactose intolerance and a host of systemic symptoms:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20851732

You may need to do a little googling to access the full PDF of the paper, or if you're on a school campus while accessing the link, it may be possible to use the school's blanket library subscriptions to access the paper. I had just about every systemic problem along with the gastrointestinal issues that the paper discusses. After about a week on the lactose-free diet, those problem just vanished, including some of my allergy problems.

Turns out that most adults likely don't produce a sufficient supply of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose), and we're not supposed to. Once the child weening years are done (roughly by age 4), our bodies generally produce less and less lactase as we get older. However, we still tend to consume milk and diary like we did as children. The undigested lactose sugar, because we don't make enough lactase to break it down, makes its way into the colon, where it is not supposed to be. The bacteria in the colon feed on the lactose, which they are not supposed to do, and produce all these toxins that poison the body.

Even if it doesn't seem like you're lactose intolerant (I swore up and down to my GI doctor that I wasn't because, as far as I knew, I dealt with diary products just fine; shows what I know), you may actually be lactose intolerant. Getting tested would be a good way to confirm it. You may not have the serious intestinal issues that are normally associated with lactose intolerance, but if you have other systemic body problems that you may be putting down to just getting older, it is possible that the real culprit is the toxins being produced in your colon due to the lactose.

Very, very sorry for the sudden thread derailment, but I just suddenly felt a need to get that out there. Please, carry on as normal.

OFF-TOPIC ADDENDUM: Oh, and I shed a lot of weight, too, as my metabolism went up.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Legion said:

Most likely b/c they saw it, expecting it to be another school drama-comedy, like 90% of the cookie cutter crap out there, and had an "IT'S A TRAP" moment.

So of course, this can' stand, however did they get "tricked" into watching the man candy? It's as if they had been told they were watching Blade...and got Twilight!

This is a gross generalization of course. However, those same people don't raise a fuss over mahou shoujo, most likely b/c it is so obviously "girly."

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I have always felt the same way about fan service stuff like this. If I want to watch something like that I'm not going to pick something and pretend like it has an interesting story just so I can justify watching it. I prefer something more straight and to the point. If that is something you like though more power to you. Glad I know this exists though so I have a cheap cop-out counter argument every time someone says only women are objectified.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Playful Pony said:
Ehh, as a straight dude, while the story is about a flat as you'd expect, it is pretty funny, so your friends aren't completely lying.

But yeah, it's mostly about the chiseled swimming dudes.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
THEY DON'T HAVE NIPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!!!

Why, why Japanese animaters? It freaks me out!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Seracen said:
Legion said:

Most likely b/c they saw it, expecting it to be another school drama-comedy, like 90% of the cookie cutter crap out there, and had an "IT'S A TRAP" moment.
Nah, it's more about "They just simply do not want anime catered to the fujoshis".

Before KyoAni released the "demo" swimming commercial, the only thing that was confirmed to be adapted was "Kyoukai no Kanata. Then out of nowhere FREE! was confirmed to be aired before the former. Then there was a statement from the director about how she loves male sculpted bodies, and finally we have the outrage.

Besides that Free is a decent Slice of Life anime, it doesn't go too silly with the "fanservice". But one thing for sure, there are MANY face to face talks between males.

Edit: Kyoukai no Kanata is a Dark fantasy story, something unusual from KyoAni's anime trend.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I just laughed when watching it. Despite i'm a male, the way they tried to capture the males and their bodies was over the top.
As for the comic, I liked Erin's excuse to not watch this in subtitles. But in some animes, you really do need subtitles to understand things especially plot wise.

Or how one of the main characters from Attack on Titan can get this-

*Spits water* Look at Mikasa on the left. Holy crap is she ripped!! I mean, usually I am used to seeing female characters having skinny, bodies that are portrayed to be the usual 'fit' look. But Mikasa man... it's no joke she's got stuff going for her.

I'm not showing this because it's a "OH GOD SO SEXY" thing. Rather, i'm deeply fascinated by this. Not only is she quite ripped, but most females in the anime are very on par with the males and don't do anything to make the audience feel like it's fan service otherwise. I love the anime because it really treats every character with care.

Also I am aware that in real life, females can get ripped; that it isn't a bad thing ether. Just amazing to see in an anime since again most female characters don't get featured in such a way like Mikasa.
That's true but i'd argue that's due to the fact fan service would just feel out of place in a show were half the cast get eaten... which is weird because I think it works in Highschool of the Dead. Fan service is great as a style option, it's when it effecs the plot that warnings start to go off in my head. Granted it can still make things difficult for some people to watch and thats fine, I generally think that Highschool of the Dead is one of the most suspensful animes i've ever watched. If someone can't deal with all those boobies though thats understandable.

I actually watched the first ep of Free! and it's not bad, hell if anything the fanservice made me laugh, THOSE CAMERA ANGLES!!!

Also, in Attack on Titan each character is CONSTANTLY moving, i'm not surprised they're all ripped.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
I'd say something about the fanservice, but I'm more glad that I'm part of the sport that's being sexualized! :D

Hopefully that'll happen to me too! :3

And no straw people! Even more good things

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Fappy said:
Legion said:

Are you serious?! Usually female fanservice is hilarious! Just look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... okay, to be fair that panders to the alpha male in us all as well XD
No kidding. Those guys are walking tanks.

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
knight steel said:
So I've been watching this video every time it's been replied to... maybe I need to go watch the anime.

And it's funny, because Yaoi/Bara does almost nothing for me. Must be the music. Yeah. That's what I'm gonna go with.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
geizr said:
Hmm, fan-service that targets females, for once. To be honest, I don't have a problem with this. Human beings are sexual creatures; the objectification goes both ways (look at some of the romance novels in book stores). I actually did a little research a while back into the whole portrayal of women thing, and some of the sites I ran into had some interesting counter-points from what I perceive as the feminine view (i.e. women like looking at beef-cake just as much as men like looking at cheese-cake).
This. I don't give a shit about a show that's fanservice for ladies. Because I like fairness in my media. Jim Sterling said it best, "All games should have a setting where you can put the men in chainmail bikinis instead of the girls, or one where you put them all in regular plate armor if you're feeling prudish" Girls should get fanservice too, and the fact that a show sells itself on the fanservice is fine.

I won't watch it, because fucking look at it, but I'm fine with it's existence.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
SquidSponge said:
Funnily enough, that was my initial interpretation too.

By watching a little bit of anime I've picked up a word or two, but I have wondered in the past about those who watch a lot more than me, whether it's possible/practical to pick up conversational fluency just by exposure to anime etc.

It's like a Russian student I once met, she supposedly taught herself English (to the standard where she was successfully studying for a maths degree in England) entirely through watching American films. I always meant to ask her about it, but I haven't seen her in a long time. She was pretty good too - I occasionally had to define the more obscure words I often come out with, but then, I have to do that with the natives sometimes too.
Well, they say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. It probably wouldn't be as effective as dropping yourself in the middle of Tokyo but I bet it would work.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wetfart said:
Well, they say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. It probably wouldn't be as effective as dropping yourself in the middle of Tokyo but I bet it would work.

I learnt English without ever studying it too much. Just by videogames, internet and songs. Now I'm an English teacher.

I graduated in Japanese language and my best form of excercise was playing Japanese visual novels.

Granted, I have a knack for foreign languages. But what I always, ALWAYS tell my students is: try to find a way to make your brain interested in what you're reading/hearing, if you want to learn the language. No matter if it's a movie, a videogame, or a visual novel.

Chupracabra

Sep 24, 2013
Legion said:

Who ever said it wasn't fan-service for guys? Girls never enter the equation, studios feel much more confident marketing to gay/bi men than to women.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
RyQ_TMC said:
Hah, I am in no way imune to "fanservice"; I imagine cute and sexy girls are as atractive to me as they are to any straight male! I was (and still am) too shy to shower after gym class, but I'll admit that I'd always go trough the wardrobe after and sneak a peek at this one girl I really liked... Yes, I'm a terrible person X3.

Mister Chippy said:
"I watch if for the plot." has basically become code for "DAT ASS!"
Very true =p. It only becomes funny to tease people about the fanservice when they desperately deny liking it.

BX3 said:
Ehh, as a straight dude, while the story is about a flat as you'd expect, it is pretty funny, so your friends aren't completely lying.

But yeah, it's mostly about the chiseled swimming dudes.
Fair enough, but they still blush and get all defensive when I mention it. I can't help but tease them, it's just too funny X3.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
PunkRex said:
That's true but i'd argue that's due to the fact fan service would just feel out of place in a show were half the cast get eaten... which is weird because I think it works in Highschool of the Dead. Fan service is great as a style option, it's when it effecs the plot that warnings start to go off in my head. Granted it can still make things difficult for some people to watch and thats fine, I generally think that Highschool of the Dead is one of the most suspensful animes i've ever watched. If someone can't deal with all those boobies though thats understandable.

I actually watched the first ep of Free! and it's not bad, hell if anything the fanservice made me laugh, THOSE CAMERA ANGLES!!!

Also, in Attack on Titan each character is CONSTANTLY moving, i'm not surprised they're all ripped.
I've tried watching Highschool of the Dead... it was actually neat but yeah it's not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it as you said, just some things can rub people off the wrong way. Also yeah I too, don't mind fan service despite I find it funny rather then sexual... however if it interferes with the plot then that's a big nono.

But you know what's worse then fan service? Fillers. I can't stand them. They tend to totally brush the plot aside for whatever it is and though only certain filler arcs were cool to me- most of them are pretty awful entirely and overly silly.

Luckily, in a show like Attack on Titan they have mini chibi episodes that don't get in the way, and they're only ONE EPISODE long.
While the other episodes are serious, tense, epic, and just overly beautiful with the animation. I love the anime!!
Also yeah, to fight titans and move around like Tarzan except using Metal Gear you do need to be very fit.
Don't even talk to me about filler, I was there for the dark days that were Naruto 136-220... almost a hundred episodes of NOTHING!!!

Hey, hang on, you're the head or ex-head of Hot Topic Escapists right? You're on my bloody friends list, why do I always forget who you are when I talk to you.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
HA! Very well done today, guys. Now I'm curious if there are any anime series you genuinely LIKE.
Zeetchmen said:
Where are the video games?
Come to think of it, do they still play games at all?

Apr 28, 2008
Legion said:

I heard about this. And for that reason alone I hope this show is (was) hugely successful. I really, really do. Also I'm hoping for a dub at some point. Yes, I'm one of *those* people. The type of uncultured, casual person who can't read the text and follow what's happening on-screen at the same time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
I'd say something about the fanservice, but I'm more glad that I'm part of the sport that's being sexualized! :D

Hopefully that'll happen to me too! :3

And no straw people! Even more good things
Aren't you already sexualised enough?

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
That's in the funny sexualizing, not the actual type that I want...

I mean, I wouldn't mind the harassing; it's publicity! :D

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
SkarKrow said:
That's in the funny sexualizing, not the actual type that I want...

I mean, I wouldn't mind the harassing; it's publicity! :D
Surely your crispy shell and spicy beef-like filling gets you all the ladies?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
PunkRex said:
Don't even talk to me about filler, I was there for the dark days that were Naruto 136-220... almost a hundred episodes of NOTHING!!!

Hey, hang on, you're the head or ex-head of Hot Topic Escapists right? You're on my bloody friends list, why do I always forget who you are when I talk to you.
.. Oi, I remembered you though. *starts to tear*

Lol. All seriousness now, I do remember you. It's cool if people don't remember me. Apart from the fillers, yea... those were the dark times. I feel Naruto went downhill when one of the filler episodes had a talking ostrich kicking the crap out of the Naruto team. It was a filler after Pein destroyed Konoha.

That was so painful to watch, I simply just turned off the computer afterwards.
You know what's WORSE then fillers? When the anime just ends out of the blue like Inuyasha did despite so much was unresolved with the antagonist Naraku being alive and all. Oh boy the outcries to that...
*Looks at his avatar* I know that feel... it wasn't an anime but... yeah.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
You would have thought so, but apparently it's not

Maybe I'm losing my touch...

I should look like the fan-servicing anime dudes

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
SkarKrow said:
You would have thought so, but apparently it's not

Maybe I'm losing my touch...

I should look like the fan-servicing anime dudes
Maybe you just need to add some fresh lettuce, maybe that mixed leaf stuff thats all the rage.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
Maybe you just need to add some fresh lettuce, maybe that mixed leaf stuff thats all the rage.
That stuff's just filled with steroids, rat feces, and the crushed dreams of medical students

Non-natural poison, I tell you!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
rhodo said:
I learnt English without ever studying it too much. Just by videogames, internet and songs. Now I'm an English teacher.

I graduated in Japanese language and my best form of excercise was playing Japanese visual novels.

Granted, I have a knack for foreign languages. But what I always, ALWAYS tell my students is: try to find a way to make your brain interested in what you're reading/hearing, if you want to learn the language. No matter if it's a movie, a videogame, or a visual novel.
How curious. That's exactly how I (mostly) learned english. I remember that in elementary school, I always had some of the worst grades on english class, then came junior high and I fondly remember a certain english teacher who was also a fan of videogames (my teacher was american and he could barely speak spanish), I don't remember how, but we both came up as fans of horror games, specifically, of Silent Hill (it was back in 2000) and how we couldn't get past that pesky piano puzzle.

The next day, he almost came running into the classroom screaming "eureka!" (remember, this was waaaay before the internet) and he literally dedicated an entire class explaining us (or rather me :p) how did he figured it out just by reading and deciphering the poem that was written on the chalkboard of the game.

Afterwards, I became more and more interested in english and I quickly had some of the best grades in class (another teacher told us that we could skip the class and just do the final exam and I passed it with a perfect 10 without even studying).

So yeah, games, movies and music (and a certain teacher) can be some of the best ways to make anyone learn :p

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
SkarKrow said:
That stuff's just filled with steroids, rat feces, and the crushed dreams of medical students

Non-natural poison, I tell you!
But it's what all the lady-Taco's want in their man Taco's these days!!

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
Bah, I should just sod the whole thing and get a penis reduction surgery

Who knows, maybe female taco's like having a fun-size churro

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
SkarKrow said:
Bah, I should just sod the whole thing and get a penis reduction surgery

Who knows, maybe female taco's like having a fun-size churro
I hear they're more into corndogs, unless T0ad has been misleading me.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
With all the hype behind this anime. i think i'll have to watch it :O
It's a great show about a bunch of ottermode friends who take off their clothes and get wet together. I'd definitely recommend it.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
knight steel said:
Yes, I find it sexy and attractive and a turn on...not necessarily the AMV cause Sexy and I know isn't really sexy, but the hot anime guys dancing around and swimming most certainly are.

As for why?....well that's kind of like asking a straight male (something I assume you are, but I could be wrong and if I am I apologize) why he likes playing say DoA Beach Volleyball.

I like to see really hot guys (animated or not) showing some skin and swimming. I believe a lot of women really get off on the movement of muscle under male skin, I know I certainly do. Go read a harlequinn novel (they're hilarious), but at least one time, the author will probably mention the movement of muscle, usually under sweaty skin.

Then there's the hair...once again, it's just a bit of assumption, but I think a lot of women really like nice hair.

Then of course there's the personalities in Free! You got some emo (Rin Matsuoka), some nerdy (Rei Ryûgazak), some stoic (Haruka Nanase), some peppy (Nagisa Hazuki), and some big teddy bear or tall and/or broad guy who is kind and gentle (Makoto Tachibana). Women are REALLY into personality, different women like different personalities, but Free! does a good job of covering the basic ones that many women like.

And at least for myself personally, I grew up on bishonen (beautiful youth/boy). Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Samurai Deeper Kyo, not to mention lots of JRPG likes the Final Fantasy series. There was a few years where I worshippd the Japanese popstar Gackt as the sexiest man alive. Growing up with those representations of males was sure to affect me and what I found aesthetically pleasing.

Then of course there's the homosexual themes, but that gets all into boy's love and yaoi and if I keep going it's likely that we'll be here all day.

I realize most of this is rambling, but I hope I answered your question somewhat.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Windknight said:
K-on? Fine. Queens Blade? awesome! Sekirei? the most heartwarming experience since wall-E! Free? OH GOD HOW DARE THEY THIS DISGUSTS ME!
You don't know much of anime if you think Free is the only one that caters to a female (or gay) audience. There are many others that do, hell, one of the most popular anime last season (I'm not sure if it's still airing) was Uta no Prince-sama.

What people didn't expect (but no one complained about) was that Kyoto Animation (aka KyoAni) would be the ones producing it, because guess what other thing they did produce? Exactly, fucking K-On. So obviously many mocked those that said KyoAni would start to cater to females, after what they had done before. But I've seen literally no one complaining about it, and I browse /a/ regularly. I was there when it was announced, and most people were just expecting good animation, a fun story and yes, some nicely toned bodies. But no one bashed on it for being "gay", because THERE ARE DOZENS OF SHOWS LIKE IT.
There is a whole fucking genre that caters to females, ffs.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Evil Smurf said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You only need the tip.

it's good to be back, I've been here awhile but I missed the first page of Whit Guy Defense force.
knight steel said:
I missed you smurf
*GLOMPS*
I'm glad you're back knight steel
*DOUBLE GLOMPS*
Awh you guys! *GROUP GLOMP*

These guys eh?

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
knight steel said:
Huh, I guess there's some sacred oath that animators take upon joining the animators guild.

"I hereby swear, on penalty of death, that I will make overly sexualised characters of one or the other gender, so help me God!"

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
wAriot said:
Windknight said:
But I've seen literally no one complaining about it, and I browse /a/ regularly. I was there when it was announced, and most people were just expecting good animation, a fun story and yes, some nicely toned bodies. But no one bashed on it for being "gay", because THERE ARE DOZENS OF SHOWS LIKE IT.
You're just hanging in the wrong forums if you want to see some bashing. The "gay" Bashing exists in many other forums.
One example is from Myanimelist forums, which had plenty of bashing even before it aired, heck when it's just that commercial.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
"Wet man-butt: The Anime" is actually a great series, funnily enough. It's a fanservice show, sure, but it actually has an entertaining plot and solid characters. And I like how Go-kun (huehehehehehe) is basically the personification of the fanbase.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Kaimax said:
You're just hanging in the wrong forums if you want to see some bashing. The "gay" Bashing exists in many other forums.
One example is from Myanimelist forums, which had plenty of bashing even before it aired, heck when it's just that commercial.
I was talking about /a/. I regularly browse 4chan, so I see all kinds of bashing every day, but aside from one or two trolls, everyone was happy or, at least, neutral, about Free!.
Obviously, I don't mean that NO ONE EVER has thought that it was a bad choice by KyoAni, but the "hate" has been taken incredibly out of proportion. I did go to some MAL threads about this anime, and I did see a couple of people insulting it and anything related to gays, but in general, the threads were just like these comment sections when Gray and Cory do a controversial comic: full of people saying "inb4 shitstorm", and then nothing happens.

This vocal minority of haters is very exaggerated, and as I said there are a lot of anime aired every season that cater to females or gays: if there really was a big group of homophobes out there that bashed on every one like them, they wouldn't even have time to breath.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States
knight steel said:
Well you see, women who are attracted to men tend to find the male physique somewhat attractive so a show with perfectly toned half naked people that's 90% fan service...really it explaines itself.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

I guess I must not have typical social expectations of women and men. I saw that cartoon and took a good 5 minutes trying to figure out the joke, it wasn't until I came on the thread and read your post that I got it.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
knight steel said:
why do guys like seeing fanservice-happy anime's with short skirts, pantyshots and big boobs? Why do they find it sexy/attractive/a turn on?

Because guys like girls.

In my case, I like the anime because the boys are ridiciulously cute (especially the blonde), they have yummy bodies and they're portrayed and absolutely delicious ways. Yes it's shallow but this is an anime that's meant to be. It's basically the things most anime fangirls (myself included) love to see in an anime.

More or less, why would anyone find this sexy/attractive/a turn on? Because we like boys. It doesn't have to be any deeper than that.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Oct 14, 2020
Somehow this idea that women can enjoy cartoon men as much as men can enjoy cartoon women is foreign to me.

My god, though, since that shitstorm a couple weeks ago the attention people give Critical Miss has really soared!

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Anybody else think this is really hypocritical of a comic that condemns fanservice when it is aimed at men to turn around and praise it when aimed at women?

I don't care either way I have always been for creators being able to do what ever the fuck they want but I mean if you are going to have a opinion one way it is awful hypocritical to change it the second it isn't convenient to yourself.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
TOO MUCH MANSERVICE OMGF.

Also I'm not guilty of doing the exact same and Erin's creepy face didn't make me laugh until I nearly had to pee >.>

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
aba1 said:
Anybody else think this is really hypocritical of a comic that condemns fanservice when it is aimed at men to turn around and praise it when aimed at women?

I don't care either way I have always been for creators being able to do what ever the fuck they want but I mean if you are going to have a opinion one way it is awful hypocritical to change it the second it isn't convenient to yourself.
why would you say this is praising fan service aimed at women?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
If anyone is interested in getting bodies like the ones seen in this show (referred to as Ottermode) I'll be posting a really good base routine in the spoiler below. This, in addition to a proper nutrition plan, will get you really cut.

You may need to separate them into different days based upon your current strength level, but the reps/sets are low enough so that you shouldn't be too sore to do them consecutively. I'd also advise doing legs too, because squats are really good for you, but that's just me.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
wAriot said:
This vocal minority of haters is very exaggerated, and as I said there are a lot of anime aired every season that cater to females or gays: if there really was a big group of homophobes out there that bashed on every one like them, they wouldn't even have time to breath.
Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice: http://mantearsflowingfree.tumblr.com/

(Not sure why that's the Hall of Justice)

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
aba1 said:
I was going to point out the hypocrisy until I realized "Wait, I'm Man. I don't have a persecution complex"

I have brought this up in the discussion for "White Guy Defense Force". Why would I adopt the petty, stupid behavior I criticize others for having? I think feminists are stupid for calling "fan service" sexist or misogynistic, so I cant rightfully say the same thing about show like the one depicted in the comic.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
HOLY MASSIVE AMOUNT OF QUOTES BATMAN
How am I supposed to answer all of these-but I must it is my duty as an ESCAPIST MEMBER
Caramel Frappe said:
Holy cow she's ripped but I guess when you're fighting giant man eating monsters who want nothing more than to kill the entire Human race you would have to be wouldn't you!
But Man she's so cool and badass *SIGH*
silverhawk100 said:
Yes......it's the music I find Incredible hot sexy delicious I could take that music and rub it all......whoops got a little side tracked there *BLUSH*
bartholen said:
Give In to the dirty feeling-GIVE IN TO IT AND LET IT CONSUME YOU MIND BODY AND SOUL.
Movitz said:
HOLY SHIT HE"S ON TO US QUICKLY KILL HIM BEFORE HE CAN TELL ANYBODY ELSE.
MetalMagpie said:
But what about fat men with neckbeards in tight bathing trunks-Why do you leave us out :(
xmbts said:
I see that you are forming words but they are strange to me what is this "male physique" you speak of and how do I steal it?
chinangel said:
Hey I'll have you know that I don't care about physical looks and thinks that attraction should only be based on a woman's intelligence-personality and soul.
*Nose grows 5 miles long*
Screamarie said:
Hey I'll have you know that I play DOA beach Volleyball for the gameplay >_>
But thanks you so much for the long thought out answer-I learned something new I never would have guessed that seeing muscles move under the skin could be sexy nor did I know that hair was Important so thank you ^_^

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So... is this a joke about her objectifying male characters in fiction or is she serious?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
cthulhuspawn82 said:
aba1 said:
I was going to point out the hypocrisy until I realized "Wait, I'm Man. I don't have a persecution complex"

I have brought this up in the discussion for "White Guy Defense Force". Why would I adopt the petty, stupid behavior I criticize others for having? I think feminists are stupid for calling "fan service" sexist or misogynistic, so I cant rightfully say the same thing about show like the one depicted in the comic.
I am not criticizing them for encouraging fan service or even necessarily discouraging it just that if they are going to choose a side they should at least be consistent about it. I mean personally I could care less if there is or not in anything I just think the author shouldn't be told they are wrong for doing it. I mean sure if you don't care for it thats cool I get that thats a preference but don't act like they are bad people for expressing themselves artistically.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
aba1 said:
cthulhuspawn82 said:
aba1 said:

I am not criticizing them for encouraging fan service or even necessarily discouraging it just that if they are going to choose a side they should at least be consistent about it. I mean personally I could care less if there is or not in anything I just think the author shouldn't be told they are wrong for doing it. I mean sure if you don't care for it thats cool I get that thats a preference but don't act like they are bad people for expressing themselves artistically.
No one seriously cares if women get fan service or really wants to stop it, but what guys are doing is continuing to point this sort of thing out because online/tumblr feminism has a VERY short memory and are VERY loud and angry whenever guys enjoy eye-candy in entertainment.

I know I'm sick of getting a finger pointed in my face about being a horrible person over a fictional character wearing a bikini in MGS, then reading about an artist who also points fingers shlicking herself to pretty boys in anime

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Do people not get this is MAKING FUN of free! Do you guys just see a comic which involves women and go FEMINIST PROPAGANDA!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
aba1 said:
Wait, who's doing that? I was under the impression that it was mocking the show/fanbase. The first post even seems to take a mocking approach (and a dig at NGE, but that's not quite as relevant)

ArnRand said:
Do people not get this is MAKING FUN of free! Do you guys just see a comic which involves women and go FEMINIST PROPAGANDA!
I was puzzled by this comment until I looked up the page. I guess this is what I get for looking at the comic early, making a quip, and leaving.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I don't get the point of the comic here. Erin enjoys some eye candy...ok?
Granted, if the comic ever complained about guys looking at female fan-service, then there might be something to discuss there for the double standard. Or if it was a joke instead of being simply what it is "Erin watches fan service". eh, I just don't get it if there is something larger then what people are complaining about.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States
knight steel said:
How am I supposed to answer all of these-but I must it is my duty as an ESCAPIST MEMBER
Haha, sorry I didn't notice until after the post how many people responded to it. :eek:

But you know, it's The pectorals and abdominals and the thighs and whatnot.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
xmbts said:
knight steel said:
Haha, sorry I didn't notice until after the post how many people responded to it. :eek:

Hmm which means I'll have to find some healthy specimen's with those physical characteristic and
Would you like to volunteer just come and allow me to strap you down in this harness:

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
And yet when I want to watch something like High School of the Dead or Club Eiken to shamelessly oggle the the hell out of some ladies I get called weird and a pervert. XD

But no, I mean... Its what it is I guess? I dont find swimming that interesting to watch so that may bea bit of the turn off for me, cause I do like those slice of life type anime from time to time. But yeah, I'm sorry to say, but to the hypocrites, this is fan service at the exploitation of the male form. Not that there's anyhting wrong iwth that, just it is.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States
knight steel said:
xmbts said:
knight steel said:

Hmm which means I'll have to find some healthy specimen's with those physical characteristic and
Would you like to volunteer just come and allow me to strap you down in this harness:
Well I'm not the best example of maleness. :eek:

And I don't really want that to change...but NPH...

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
All i got for this is I like the expression on Erin's face.. That's pretty much it. I wish i could make an avatar pic for it but I don't know how... Seriously now i want that as an avatar -_-... *sigh* now I'm getting sad.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Loved this comic. Been kinda meh about some of the others but my girlfriend watched a small bit of it at a friends house and said this comic pretty much describes it so lol. I'll probably check it out and watch the rest with her.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I see another has fallen victim.

You're late to the party.

But don't let that stop you, drink it all in.

Enjoy.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ArnRand said:
I'm hoping there's some degree of irony in those statements.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
HA! Very well done today, guys. Now I'm curious if there are any anime series you genuinely LIKE.
Zeetchmen said:
Where are the video games?
Come to think of it, do they still play games at all?
The comic actually has a small reference to my favorite anime series.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
aba1 said:

I think the point of the comic is, that FREE is sort of combarable to a cheesy soft porn flick. I would hardly call that praise.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Nurb said:
No one seriously cares if women get fan service or really wants to stop it, but what guys are doing is continuing to point this sort of thing out because online/tumblr feminism has a VERY short memory and are VERY loud and angry whenever guys enjoy eye-candy in entertainment.

I know I'm sick of getting a finger pointed in my face about being a horrible person over a fictional character wearing a bikini in MGS, then reading about an artist who also points fingers shlicking herself to pretty boys in anime
I remember at one of the cons I went to this summer I was in a panel for upcoming anime and we watched about 10 minutes of choice clips from Free! then the hosts talked about it (two of the three hosts were female so we spent a good while talking about it) and even though I was not to interested in it understandably as its not aimed at me, I did find it funny and the art style is great. But the next day I was surprised to hear rumors about the negative feedback the panel got and remember thinking "huh I don't recall anyone saying that" as the day went on the rumors got worse to the point where a friend of mine said that they heard somebody yelled "boooooooooooo!" when they showed the clips which is complete bull.

I think what is happening here is some people who yell about male oriented fan-service don't want to seem like hypocrites so they try to make they other side look like bigger hypocrites. Not that I'm saying that NOBODY was upset about female fan-service but those people are lowly bottom feeders and should be paid no attention.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Hazy said:
If anyone is interested in getting bodies like the ones seen in this show (referred to as Ottermode) I'll be posting a really good base routine in the spoiler below. This, in addition to a proper nutrition plan, will get you really cut.

You may need to separate them into different days based upon your current strength level, but the reps/sets are low enough so that you shouldn't be too sore to do them consecutively. I'd also advise doing legs too, because squats are really good for you, but that's just me.
Thank you based commenter. I will try it out for a month, see how it goes.
OT, there is a lot of fanservice there. Also a neat 'just the apron' almost-reversal in there.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:

Yeah, that pretty much goes according to what I said: a couple of (very obvious) trolls, a couple of serious idiots, and then someone taking those four comments completely out of proportion.

Of course, I'm not against laughing at those idiots (who think that Free! will somehow change the industry), but with comments like
you may believe that every man that likes anime (and is not gay) HATES it, which just isn't true. Even worse, you are just dismissing any valid criticism as "lol I hate faggots so much".

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I see what you did there, but I guess that's ok, some people enjoy shallow porn.
Personally, I think character is important, though.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
Good strip.Though with the way this series has been going, I suspect at some point you'll make a strip which is just the word 'META' in four separate panels.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
knight steel said:
Well, you did address your comment "To all the female escapist out there". ;)

But good job, soldier. You dealt with the situation admirably. o7

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
wAriot said:
Dr. Cakey said:

Yeah, that pretty much goes according to what I said: a couple of (very obvious) trolls, a couple of serious idiots, and then someone taking those four comments completely out of proportion.
I count more than four.

wAriot said:
Of course, I'm not against laughing at those idiots (who think that Free! will somehow change the industry), but with comments like
you may believe that every man that likes anime (and is not gay) HATES it, which just isn't true. Even worse, you are just dismissing any valid criticism as "lol I hate faggots so much".
Luckily, I have a secret weapon on my side for dealing with just such a situation. I found it while on a dig in a remote part of Africa. It's called a "brain". In this case, since I know that (1) I am male, (2) I like anime, (3) I am straight, and (4) I don't hate Free!, my brain is able to conclude that not all men who like anime hate Free!. Meanwhile, that site was so concerned about people misconstruing their intentions they changed their name from "Male Otaku Mad About Free!" to just "Mad About Free!".

As for your second point, there is no valid criticism of Free! because it is BEST ANIME EVER MADE SORRY ITS OVER GUYS WE'VE REACHED PERFECTION YOU CAN ALL GO HOME.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
aba1 said:

I agree.

I do like sexy bishounen; but when the story is all about sexy bishounen, it becomes dumb.

Then again, there's the other side of the medal... making pointless anime that is all about fanservice used to be a male prerogative: I suppose the fact that females are getting those, too, is a step towards gender equality. So there's that.

I prefer equal opportunity dumb fanservice, than only male-oriented dumb fanservice.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Kaimax said:
Seracen said:
Legion said:

Nah, it's more about "They just simply do not want anime catered to the fujoshis".

Before KyoAni released the "demo" swimming commercial, the only thing that was confirmed to be adapted was "Kyoukai no Kanata. Then out of nowhere FREE! was confirmed to be aired before the former. Then there was a statement from the director about how she loves male sculpted bodies, and finally we have the outrage.

Besides that Free is a decent Slice of Life anime, it doesn't go too silly with the "fanservice". But one thing for sure, there are MANY face to face talks between males.

Edit: Kyoukai no Kanata is a Dark fantasy story, something unusual from KyoAni's anime trend.
Ah. Well, I don't care for slice of life, especially since EVERYTHING seems to be that or moe (or both), and I've always been partial to engaging, overarching plots.

As for Free, the girls can have it, as the guys keep getting stuff like High School DxD and HSotD. It's only fair.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
What else is there to get? As the meme goes, "that was the joke."
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny. If they took the time to draw and ink things, sort of thought it might be a bit more funny. Or at least have something more to it for discussion/insightfulness. -shrug-

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
I count more than four.
The point still applies, the hate is very exaggerated.
Luckily, I have a secret weapon on my side for dealing with just such a situation. I found it while on a dig in a remote part of Africa. It's called a "brain". In this case, since I know that (1) I am male, (2) I like anime, (3) I am straight, and (4) I don't hate Free!, my brain is able to conclude that not all men who like anime hate Free!.
You are on the Internet. You should know already that not everyone has a brain or, at least, can't use it properly.

Meanwhile, that site was so concerned about people misconstruing their intentions they changed their name from "Male Otaku Mad About Free!" to just "Mad About Free!".
The very first thing you may read when you enter that page is

The best selection of quality entitled whinging from men who take personal offense to an anime not being aimed at them. Submissions are welcomed!
Again, most intelligent people would understand that "some" mean take personal offense (and not many of them either). But some would just extrapolate that EVERY men does. Then they would tell that to someone else, and the snowball starts. In the end, every time a man says "I don't like this anime because of reasons", it *must* be because he's a closeted homophobe! Or so I've been told.

My point (and the point of this whole argument) is that the haters aren't as numerous as it may look, or as tumblr may tell you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny.
To you. I don't find Daniel Tosh funny, but they gave him a TV show. I don't find South Park funny, but they've animated that for years and years.

It seems like you're commenting that they shouldn't have done it because it is not pandering to you. If you don't like it, maybe just don't read it. Or even better: make your own webcomic.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
To you. I don't find Daniel Tosh funny, but they gave him a TV show. I don't find South Park funny, but they've animated that for years and years.

It seems like you're commenting that they shouldn't have done it because it is not pandering to you. If you don't like it, maybe just don't read it. Or even better: make your own webcomic.
Tosh is a clip show, they could have given it to a clapping seal for what he contributes I imagine, and south park does sort of promote discussion on current events, topical if not funny.
I was asking what the point was in case I missed something here. I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant. It was a comic stating the obvious, right after ones with at least some discussion to be had from them. I'm sorry if asking what the point was made it feel as some sort of attack or what have you.
As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply. As it happens I support a number of webcomics through being a frequent visitor, contributing to their forums and even occasionally donating or buying stuff from them. It is nice of you to have realized the point of "make your own" as a general idea for supporting what you want to exist rather then idly whining about something you don't want to exist, though I wish you'd have been more able to understand confusion for a current choice is not a damnation for the entire product. In fact it is because of the usual topical and/or funny nature of the comic, that this being just so "meh" confused me. I still don't get, not as a "it is not funny, boo" sort of way, but in a more "how is that funny in the first place?" sort of overall question.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Ukomba said:
And High School Host Club comes on right after it. ;)
I loved Ouran High School Host Club, and I'm not the least bit attracted towards men.

There might be something wrong with me. :p

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
I love the animation, though obviously the story is just fluff (also...where are their nipples?). Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever because some fanservice for women (packaged into a cutesy story about friendship and achieving your goals) and is quite popular. You know.. as opposed to male fanserivce in moe, hentai titles and just general ecchi/boobs all over most of the medium (even when it's completely unnecessary) ....but dats totaly diffrnt u guize blarg, suppressed angsty rage, blarg.

I've just come to accept that the gaming/otaku community is dominated by people who live on reactionary, knee-jerk rage.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
JediMB said:
Ukomba said:
And High School Host Club comes on right after it. ;)
I loved Ouran High School Host Club, and I'm not the least bit attracted towards men.

There might be something wrong with me. :p
No, no. It's not bad. Just because the fan service doesn't cater to you doesn't mean you can't like the show. I mention it because the show it's self is just one giant, self aware, female fan service extravaganza.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Johanthemonster666 said:
Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever
Dr. Cakey said:
Luckily, I have a secret weapon on my side for dealing with just such a situation. I found it while on a dig in a remote part of Africa. It's called a "brain". In this case, since I know that (1) I am male, (2) I like anime, (3) I am straight, and (4) I don't hate Free!, my brain is able to conclude that not all men who like anime hate Free!.
I don't know why I even try.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
wAriot said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever
Dr. Cakey said:
Because you want to convince everybody there wasn't really a problem when there actually was a problem?

As much as you want to pretend it was all exaggerated to make guys look bad, it wasn't.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wAriot said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
Dr. Cakey said:
If you think that sentence means all male otakus, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Windknight said:
Because you want to convince everybody there wasn't really a problem when there actually was a problem?

As much as you want to pretend it was all exaggerated to make guys look bad, it wasn't.
The very very tiny percentage of people that actually bashed on the anime doesn't mean that the thousands that just didn't like it are like them.
Where is the problem? That a small group of stupid people made some homophobic comments, *on the internet*?!

Grey Carter said:
If you think that sentence means all male otakus, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.
I know what he meant. But some people may not. Some people that don't know much about anime, or its culture in general, may think that yes, ALL male otakus insulted Free!, its creators and their mothers. And I don't like that, because as a male otaku I've been called an homophobe just because I didn't enjoy this anime.

All I'm saying is that those kind of comments, unknowingly, DO make guys look bad, even if that wasn't the intention.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
wAriot said:
Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not. Some people that don't know much about anime, or its culture in general, may think that yes, ALL male otakus insulted Free!, its creators and their mothers. And I don't like that, because as a male otaku I've been called an homophobe just because I didn't enjoy this anime.

All I'm saying is that those kind of comments, unknowingly, DO make guys look bad, even if that wasn't the intention.
So what you wanted him to say was, "Don't quite understand the indeterminate quantity of otaku - some but not all of whom are or identify as male - acting like anime has been destroyed forever. Please note that fans of anime can be of any gender and sexual orientation." ?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wAriot said:
Windknight said:

The very very tiny percentage of people that actually bashed on the anime doesn't mean that the thousands that just didn't like it are like them.
Where is the problem? That a small group of stupid people made some homophobic comments, *on the internet*?!

Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly concerned with the opinions of the illiterate.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Grey Carter said:
wAriot said:
Windknight said:

Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly concerned with the opinions of the illiterate.
wow discrimination on the illiterate, wow just wow. I thought you were defending minorities.

now i just need to screen cap this any time you are whiteknighting to show how fake you are

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/
so where is the satire, joke, or punchline?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.
she never once says she doesnt speak japanese she asks her if she wants subtitles and she replies why? there is not i dont speak japanese or anything

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

she never once says she doesnt speak japanese she asks her if she wants subtitles and she replies why? there is not i dont speak japanese or anything
/sighs.

regardless, i think you're over-analyzing. The joke is on shallow fanservice-happy anime and how much we enjoy them, and Erin's indication that she's here for the pretty boys. if you don't find it funny that's fine, but regardless: that's the punchline.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

/sighs.

regardless, i think you're over-analyzing. The joke is on shallow fanservice-happy anime and how much we enjoy them, and Erin's indication that she's here for the pretty boys. if you don't find it funny that's fine, but regardless: that's the punchline.
nowhere does it imply she does or does not know japanese therefore the punchline is lost, how do you know shes just there for the pretty boys, maybe she speaks japanese

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

/sighs.

nowhere does it imply she does or does not know japanese therefore the punchline is lost, how do you know shes just there for the pretty boys, maybe she speaks japanese
who knows then. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I've stopped caring at this point, and the only reason I'm typing all this out is so I don't get pegged for a low content post.

I think you're just intentionally over-analyzing.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

/sighs.

who knows then. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I've stopped caring at this point, and the only reason I'm typing all this out is so I don't get pegged for a low content post.

I think you're just intentionally over-analyzing.
and none of the excuses bad writing

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
thenoblitt said:
Despite the questionable funniness of the joke/comic, I fear you're being deliberately obtuse if you are seriously doubting that the readers are supposed to assume that Erin does not know Japanese.

Her facial expression, simple remark and the subject matter make it pretty clear.

If those visual cues didn't clue you in, then I'm afraid webcomics just may not be for you.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
So what you wanted him to say was, "Don't quite understand the indeterminate quantity of otaku - some but not all of whom are or identify as male - acting like anime has been destroyed forever. Please note that fans of anime can be of any gender and sexual orientation." ?
I didn't want him to say anything in particular, and certainly I'm not trying to censor anyone; you can say whatever the hell you want. I just want people to realize that sometimes, some comments, as innocent as they may look, can have consequences. If you don't mind those consequences, well, okay. But if you do, maybe, just maybe, next time he'll at least change the wording, no one will misunderstand, and everyone is happier.

Grey Carter said:
I'm sorry, Oh So Clever Grey, that not everyone is as intelligent as You are. But the Internet is used by people from many countries and with different cultures and education levels, so You'd certainly understand if some of them can't fathom the English language very well, or just mistake the actual meaning of a sentence.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:

Ah, good old arguments that I see ever since zero punctuation's episode on webcomics.

Do you mind if I screencap this? I want to use it as an argument when discussion of certain topics in video games will appear again.

" If you don't like it, maybe just not by it? Or even better: make your own videogame."

Perfect.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
wAriot said:
Windknight said:

There was enough to make a very big, loud noise about it. And they did so by being homophobic, misogynistic and, most of all, hypocritical. Admittedly, a lot of it is actually kind of hilarious to point at and laugh at their behavior of how utterly clueless they are, and the complete lack of self awareness they demonstrated. But the fact that a significant chunk of the studios fanbase basically had a massive tantrum over one female fanservice show being made despite all the other male fanservice shows that were made are being made and will be made shows there is a bit of a problem with some elements of the fandom attitude.

Its like all the male comic fans who say women should feel empowered by all the heroines wielding torpedo tits and wearing a bikini into battle, and claim men in comics are just as objectified, but who erupt into a frothing rage in response to actual art of men designed to be sexually attractive to women.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
Tosh is a clip show, they could have given it to a clapping seal for what he contributes I imagine, and south park does sort of promote discussion on current events, topical if not funny.
Which is still dodging the point, but:

I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant.
See, I thought you had caught on.

As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply.
Nope. I still think it's inane. I just think you should practice what you preach. And complaining here is the opposite of what you preached. Even if you claim you "support" other comics. But this is nothing new. I get it. "It's different when I do it."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Miroluck said:
Do you mind if I screencap this? I want to use it as an argument when discussion of certain topics in video games will appear again.
Considering this is literally a turn of phrase based on that poster's past argument? One I don't support and have vocally not supported? Go for it, but keep in mind it's quote mining and completely dishonest.

See, I was just asking a proponent of the mentality to put his money where his mouth is. Screencapping this would more or less miss the point. Actually, it would completely miss the point.

But if you really want to screencap it and use it, go for it, I guess.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Legion said:

I'm mostly enjoying the irony here. Girls,guys and the general public gives guys crap for liking fanservice, and now here comes a show full of guy fanservice for the girls. XD Live and let live,I say. Is it a fanservice show for girls? Yes. Am I ever going to watch it? Probably not, but then, it wasn't made for people like me in mind. This was for the ladies that like this sort of thing, to which I say....good. Enjoy it. Because hey, it could be worse. Twilight could still be around. I won't too harshly judge you.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

One of those rare cases where a post is humorously well aimed and simultaneously entirely correct. Well, except for the Matriarchal oppression bit but you know.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
Which is still dodging the point, but:

I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant.
See, I thought you had caught on.

As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply.
Nope. I still think it's inane. I just think you should practice what you preach. And complaining here is the opposite of what you preached. Even if you claim you "support" other comics. But this is nothing new. I get it. "It's different when I do it."
Well, you do know that there are other people here, yes? And that perhaps someone else might have an answer as to what the point of the comic is that I might have missed? You know, sort of why I might have asked out loud in the first place.

Not sure what you mean about practicing what I preach though. As I said, I make no claim about it not having a right to exist, I am just confused about it when compared to other pages. "This page is different then others of the same comic, am I missing something?" But since you seem to have already written me off, please feel free to keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel justified. It at least keeps my question out there so someone else may answer it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
ImmortalDrifter said:
I saw that tag. You are on /fit/ you bastards. I knew it.
We're all gonna make it, brah. We're all gonna make it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
But since you seem to have already written me off, please feel free to keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel justified. It at least keeps my question out there so someone else may answer it.
The only sense in which I've "written you off" is in correctly assuming you'll dodge the point every time I bring it up. I'd actually like to be wrong about that, but you routinely appear to argue in bad faith and your argument here, regardless of the silliness of the comic's "right to exist" is still at odds with your prior statements on criticism. That's not "practicing what you preach," right there.

Sep 14, 2009
had to laugh at this, loved how her eyes were completely set on the screen and her logic was "...why would i need to know what they are saying?"

also, not sure if intentional, but her hands are totally down by her female junk area ^o^

reachforthesky

Jun 13, 2010
My first thought when hearing about this show's popularity was "The tables have turned! Finally, I can make fun of GIRLS for THEIR shallow fanservice animes"

CJ1145

Jan 6, 2009
I've only seen Octopimp's abridged version.

Quality viewing right there.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I fail to see the problem. Kate Beckinsale shows up on the screen and my jaw drops.

My wife is entitled to the same fan service, though, usually, it is devote to Hugh Jackman.

Sep 14, 2009
Alarien said:
I fail to see the problem. Kate Beckinsale shows up on the screen and my jaw drops.

My wife is entitled to the same fan service, though, usually, it is devote to Hugh Jackman.
damn straight!

and completely agree, it's only fair that respective eye candy is shown!

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
knight steel said:
Wow. None of those guys do a single thing for me.

I love anime guys, I find them so much more attractive than real men. Maybe it's these boys shirtlessness and muscles that put me off, or maybe the fact that they all look too 'cool'.

Give me Black Butler any day of the month! Preferably fully dressed, damn do I love good clothes on a guy!

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
PunkRex said:
THEY DON'T HAVE NIPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!!!

Why, why Japanese animaters? It freaks me out!
'Realistic' Nipples are illegal to show in Japanese televised animation - or at all - I believe.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
But since you seem to have already written me off, please feel free to keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel justified. It at least keeps my question out there so someone else may answer it.
The only sense in which I've "written you off" is in correctly assuming you'll dodge the point every time I bring it up. I'd actually like to be wrong about that, but you routinely appear to argue in bad faith and your argument here, regardless of the silliness of the comic's "right to exist" is still at odds with your prior statements on criticism. That's not "practicing what you preach," right there.
Please explain. You are the one who seems to be jumping to conclusions about what the intent of my comments were and refuse to accept that I may have meant something beyond what you interpreted, often to the point where my trying to clarify that disconnect is labeled "arguing in bad faith" or some other such nonsense. It reveals you care more about arguing what you thought I said then trying to listened to what I was actually trying to say. Language is still limited as a means of sharing thoughts ideals or feelings, as people have individual interpretations and definitions at times. When you refuse to accept that what you thought you heard is not what the other was trying to say though, that does make it come as though you have written me off in favor what you think or want me to be saying.
Trying to be snarky about that misunderstanding as a "gotcha" sort of thing is further confusing. Reread that first post if you will. here I will quote it.

me said:
Granted, if the comic ever complained about guys looking at female fan-service, then there might be something to discuss there for the double standard. Or if it was a joke instead of being simply what it is "Erin watches fan service". eh, I just don't get it if there is something larger then what people are complaining about.
"I don't get it" see how that is worded? See how I am actively stating "hey, I do not understand." More specifically, it was not just the comic itself, but what people may be complaining about, about it in a larger sense. Instead of an answer to that, I get, well, you being you.

So, please, go ahead and explain how I am arguing in bad faith when I wasn't arguing here in the first place, I started by asking a simple question of "what am I missing" and then had to keep defending the right to ask that question as you seemed to looks specifically for something, anything to latch onto like a harpy tormenting a damned soul. What is worse is I feel this is done as some sort of counterpoint to behavior that I don't get either. Some association of me to something else that has you wanting to needle rather then give a simple answer to a simple question. Because this is what I see of your replies so far to my question.

"Am I missing something? What makes this funny and what did I hear about some controversy?"
"What gives you the right to question it. Don't like it, make your own. You should practice what you preach and not be a hypocrite."

It takes the question of "What am I missing" and tries to play it like "this should change". As I said, I am not arguing that the comic should not exist or should be different, I am asking what the hell either makes it funny or makes it a discussion, which are traits of the comic as a whole the majority of the time. So even as a poorly thought out parallel to our previous discussion on games, it doesn't work.
Seriously... the hell?

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Snowbell said:
Give me Black Butler any day of the month! Preferably fully dressed, damn do I love good clothes on a guy!
"If I couldn't charm the pants off young ladies, what kind of butler would I be?"

Love the show... It ended well also! Sooooooo glad there wasn't a season 2, yep, soooo glad... *Sobs a little*

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Ryan Minns said:
"If I couldn't charm the pants off young ladies, what kind of butler would I be?"

Love the show... It ended well also! Sooooooo glad there wasn't a season 2, yep, soooo glad... *Sobs a little*
What second season?? Wait...the memories are coming back...AAAARGHVGDYEQ *downs a gallon of mind bleach*

I hear there'll be a film, here's hoping it will be more interesting and less fanservicy, and have more appearances by characters I actually LIKE

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Bah.

Women bash me for my many terabytes of hardcore bondage pornography, while they view truly offensive soft core yaoi anime?! I will not stand for it!

Hypocrisy! Shout it from the rooftops and burn down their ivory palaces!

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
knight steel said:
To All female escapist? Shouldn't that be all Escapist's? I mean I'm a guy and I find it pretty attractive myself...just saying

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Actually, I find the idea of an anime that's trying to pander to the prurient interest of women (or possibly gay men) kind of weirdly refreshing.