French Bees Create Blue Honey After Raiding M&M's Factory

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
They don't want to sell it because too much of French culture is based on being utterly resistant to change.

No doubt the beekeepers take the same pride in their work as wine, cheese and bread makers do.

Which means that 50 years from now there will still be laws against honey coming in any variety other than "yellow".

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
LordLundar said:
AnnaIME said:
Suspicious.

The jars in the picture show nice, clean colours.

Did the bees only eat one colour per hive? How advanced of them, not to mix.
Actually that is accurate. If given enough of a source of nectar from one flower type, bees will actively avoid other types. It's why you can easily distinguish types of honey (clover, strawberry, daffodil, watermelon, etc). Even wildflower honey usually only comes from one type of flower, it's just the keeper doesn't know which particular flower it comes from. It's only if there isn't a sufficient supply will bees go for other flowers.
Wow! I had no idea. Why do they do this? What possible advantage could there be for the bees to make "mono-honey"?

Thanks for sharing this. I have always wondered how beekeepers stop their bees from mixing the nectars when there are so many types of flower around the hives.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Time to bring out one of my favourite GIFs.

Also, I'd love to have different colour honey.
OK...I need to save this gif.. bookmarked

also,k where's that picture of the guy barfing rainbows. we need that too

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
antipunt said:
Andy Shandy said:

You don't mean this one by any chance? :p

2 of my favourite GIFs. Oddly enough I tend to use the bees one more.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
...Could they be sued by Mars Inc. for selling the blue honey? I mean, the bees certainly didn't ask for permission or pay for candy sugar that changed the color of the honey.

I can see potential complications if they did try and sell that honey.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Eri said:
Not sellable? Is he retarded? Color has no bearing on whether something passes inspection standards.
Yes, but I can't help but think that the people behind M&Ms would be pissed if this farmer started making a profit on honey when the sugars that went into it were essentially stolen.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
So this guy accidentally finds a product worth a lot of money and possibly industry changing...

and decides to totally ignore and say its wrong...

God damnit
Essentially this. I shudder to think what would have happened had a certain Reece never accidentally dropped his chocolate bar into a his jar of Skippy (or however that magical concoction was created).

Blue honey, even if it tastes like ordinary honey (no such thing, really) is just wicked. If this ever becomes a thing he has my pesos.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
He's not going to sell his one of a kind blue honey?!

That is not a very savvy business acumen.

AnnaIME said:
Suspicious.

The jars in the picture show nice, clean colours.

Did the bees only eat one colour per hive? How advanced of them, not to mix.
Did that have pro-segregation undertones? lol, jk

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Mortis Nuncius said:
Considering how much I know of the bees' process to make honey (which isn't really that much, mind you), I can see why he wouldn't want to promote this. If beekeepers focus more on using (potentially) artificial, multi-colored nectar for the bees to consume, that essentially removes a decent amount of pollenation from the local plantlife. You'd be putting the weight of the task on all the butterflies, and I'm not sure if their delicate frames could handle the workload. Of course, this is all just theorizing from someone who knows little of the matter.
Why can't certain bee's be used for Color and certain bee's be used to pollinate? Why does it have to be all or nothing? I think there are enough bee's to do both...

OT: They look neat, but I'm not a fan of honey. I could buy some to be used as the imagery in my house, but that's it...

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Blablahb said:
Dutch news picked up on this two weeks ago already. The problem has also already been fixed because of the M&M recycling plant now storing the casings indoors in a covered space, so the coloured honey should be a thing of the past.
sleeky01 said:
I have a suspicion that the Beekeeper doesn't want to sell the colored honey to avoid any legal entanglements with Mars incorporated. No not the planet, the company.
Because if Monsanto can sue a farmer for infringement when seed accidentally blew onto his field Mars could make a case for the new honey and claim ownership
France is not the US, it has an actual legal system, one where such typically American patent cases are impossible.
Except the Monsanto case was not American. It was Canadian. Thanks for looking at the referance links I posted.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I guess you can say the bees...

*Removes shades*

...Tasted the rainbow.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
[sub] Don't care if someone else already did that joke, I'm not skimming through the whole thing![/sub]

At any rate, that beekeeper is pretty dumb if he won't sell it. Sure, he cares about the purity of the honey and that's fine! But he can sell the colored honey AND the natural honey. People will buy anything pretty and that's their problem. Now, it doesn't seem there's any risk of poisoning or something like because of the funky honey so what the hell, right?
Just watch, when people are throwing their wallets at him, he'll change his mind.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
doggie015 said:
Gilhelmi said:
Akisa said:
Gilhelmi said:
Akisa said:
Gilhelmi said:
I agree, it wont sell.

See, most people in the "home-grown" honey market, are not looking for novelty colors. They are looking for normal, not-factory anything, honey.

Nope, the dirty-hippies will not buy it.
Pfft just label it iHoney and the hippies will buy it. Heck, you can poop and name it iCrap and they'll buy it if you make it shiny enough.
That is not true. No, no it can not be true. NOOO ITS NOT TRUE.

My God, it it is true. Is it not? NOOO, no the hippies might be, well hippies, but they are not stupid.

They are human what does that tell you? Darn it, that is a fair point. Most humans are stupid too some extent.
Too be fair human are stupid regardless of demographics. For example

PC gamer accepts DRM, non resealable games
Xbox, paying for multiplayer that is traditionally free.

I leave the populous to determine ps3 and wii
I just enjoy pretending that someone, somewhere, in a Galaxy far far away, is in fact, not stupid.

I know I will never find them (except in the Lord Jesus Christ) but I must keep imagining.
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space...
cos' there's bugger all down here on earth!
Amen brother, Amen.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
antipunt said:
Andy Shandy said:

You don't mean this one by any chance? :p

2 of my favourite GIFs. Oddly enough I tend to use the bees one more.
perrrfect. thank you good sir

*bookmarked

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Honey is antibiotic, antifungal, and antiseptic. That honey is fine.

And I would totally buy ALL the jars of it.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
So he's basically a moron who doesn't recognize a business opportunity.

YOU HAVE THE ONLY M&M HONEY IN THE WORLD!!!

Technicolor NATURAL honey. This could become a fucking sales rush and you flush it down the toilet because "It isn't real honey". God I never thought I'd see an actual Honey Snob.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
1337mokro said:
So he's basically a moron who doesn't recognize a business opportunity.

YOU HAVE THE ONLY M&M HONEY IN THE WORLD!!!

Technicolor NATURAL honey. This could become a fucking sales rush and you flush it down the toilet because "It isn't real honey". God I never thought I'd see an actual Honey Snob.
Hell if doesn't patent it now, I'm sure someone else will now that it's been on TV.

...Seriously, the guy is a fool. I can't think of one reason why blue honey wouldn't sell.

For god sakes, ITS BLUE. People love to eat blue-colored things!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Mortis Nuncius said:
Considering how much I know of the bees' process to make honey (which isn't really that much, mind you), I can see why he wouldn't want to promote this. If beekeepers focus more on using (potentially) artificial, multi-colored nectar for the bees to consume, that essentially removes a decent amount of pollenation from the local plantlife. You'd be putting the weight of the task on all the butterflies, and I'm not sure if their delicate frames could handle the workload. Of course, this is all just theorizing from someone who knows little of the matter.
This.
Nobody here even thinks about what would happen to the bees and our flora, when they'd make the bees produce honey in a non-natural way.
Those buggers already behave strange more and more often and the worldwide population of them is shrinking, we shouldn't start to meddle with that even more.
Nonsense. There has to be way a way farming of honey of this variety could be done with out harming the environment.

Couldn't we farm the bees and honey indoors in a simulated environment?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Boo! I'll give him $30 for an ounce of it. No two sources of honey taste alike; I suspect his taste buds are failing him.