Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

The first look at the new Amnesia game is not a pleasant one.

Revealed back in Dear Esther [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115992-Frictional-Confirms-Amnesia-A-Machine-For-Pigs] fame.

In spite of that hand-off, the brief snippet of gameplay on display in this trailer looks more than a little like what we had to put up with in The Dark Descent: awful things happening off-screen, desperate cowering in a dark corner and the "woozy effect" that means you've had just about all of this nonsense that you can take. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it's horrific, yes, but that's what we're here for - but what I'm really hoping for is that the new game, with a new developer, will provide a different take on the horror experience.

On the other hand, it's just a few seconds out of what will ultimately be several hours of gameplay, and you can't blame the developers for wanting to drive home the fact that this is an Amnesia game. And as anyone who's played the original will attest, sometimes it's the things you don't see that you really need to worry about.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs comes out this fall.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I'm still kinda excited. But I'd consider that a badly made trailer. First 25 seconds look like they were just recording someone doing noclip through the maps, last 15 seconds showing actual gameplay without showing any of the new features that they had mentioned earlier (and they haven't even changed the scared gasping voice from the last game).

I'm not the biggest fan of theChineseRoom, but I will give them a chance at Amnesia.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So no console release planned? Awwwwwww come on guys! Pretty please?!

People really underestimate just how terrible a laptop can be... "Oh it's only an indie game with no complex graphics to speak of so surely you can run it on-" No GTFO it's beyond help.

Weren't there compatibility issues with Amnesia before? Like integrated video cards (like the ones in laptops!) were just plain old bad for running Amnesia? Sure something was like that anyway...

'K Pig Monster... Fucking fuck. I'll end up watching the inevitable 50 billion horror LPers play through this game. Cry, Helloween, maybe even Pewdie... Probably not though.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I can see why you're all so negative about this. However, we must remember that Amnesia's popularity came by word of mouth (i.e. on forums) and through Lets Plays. If anyone remembers the original trailer, you'd know it wasn't that great.
Although, I do hope they add new "horrified gasps" sound effects. I'm sure they're just reusing Daniels for the trailer, though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
'K Pig Monster... Fucking fuck. I'll end up watching the inevitable 50 billion horror LPers play through this game. Cry, Helloween, maybe even Pewdie... Probably not though.
Try Mangaminx/TheRPGminx. She's a bit annoying at first, but her reactions are some of my absolute favorites.

OT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
The Wykydtron said:
Try Mangaminx/TheRPGminx. She's a bit annoying at first, but her reactions are some of my absolute favorites.

OT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I loved her Amnesia LP but for some reason I seem to have lost my swearing is funny part of my sense of humour as of late.

Halfway through her Cryostasis LP it all became incredibly tiresome for some reason...

Now what nickname will she give to the Pig Monster? Mr Piggie? Too obvious I think.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
a lot of negativity here. for a first trailer it looks pretty good to me. looks like it'll make me take several bathroom breaks in my chair while i play it. it's enough to keep me interested anyway ^^

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Ourdoory places might not be as scary, if they're more open. But this is Amnesia, so I'll assume the best for now. And I have faith that Frictional will smack 'em into line if they mess anything up.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Doclector said:
Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?
Amnesia really doesnt require a very good PC to play well, just so you know.

Trailer could have been better imo.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
lotr rocks 0 said:
Doclector said:

Apparently, it disagrees with my particular laptop video card.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Doclector said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
Doclector said:

I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).

OT: This game will make a lot of money. You could say that it'll -

*Sunglasses*

Bring home the bacon.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
SteakHeart said:
Doclector said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
Doclector said:

I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).
Hmm, sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Was there really a need for such a short teaser? Who do they think they are, Blizzard? After watching this, the only things I learned about the game is that it's a horror game and it kinda looks like Thief 2 with an HD mod. Release a proper trailer or fuck off.