Friday Box-Office: Amazing Spider-Man 2 Drops Big in Second Weekend

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jasper van Heycop said:
008Zulu said:
Amazing Spiderman 2 budget; $330 million. Projected gross; $424 million.
(figures include advertising)
So it already turned a profit, while still having several weeks to go in theaters? What is all this doomsaying about then?

From the way some people (including Moviebob) are wording this you'd think it didn't even break even.
It hasn't broken even.

I probably ought've noted this in the news post itself (my mistake - when you read/report studio news long enough you forget not everyone is readily aware of certain "given" nuances of studio accounting math) but the rule of thumb by which movie studios operate is that a film hasn't broken even until it makes 3 times it's stated overall cost; and even then no one actually goes bragging about "profit" until the percentage is too far out in front to be anything but certain.

The number it needs to hit to be "even" has gone back and forth between $750 and as high as $800 million (Hollywood accounting is designed to make sure you can always look like you did well but not well enough for underlings to expect raises) but they'll likely settle around $750 mil now that it looks like it won't get much higher than that ($755 is the guess over at Deadline, but it'll either go up or down depending on what happens when Godzilla hits in a week.)

Ultimateslayer

Sep 21, 2008
Moviebob has like 5 different Blogs, a couple of video-series, Twitter, Facebook, a monthly podcast and he still has to clutter the Escapist with his Amazing Spiderman vendetta? C'mon man, you have enough outlets. We get it, you hate the movie, the public didn't like it and it didn't do great at the box office. You did your thing, and you still have countless other ways to ***** about the movie, could the Escapist go back to somewhat balanced reporting?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
thebobmaster said:
Yeah, it dropped big. All the way to only being the second most successful movie this weekend. Don't get me wrong, the percentage drop is large, and recalculating the profit projections is a reasonable course of action. But anti-ASM people shouldn't start celebrating yet. It's still making money.

I'm glad to see, also, that we have moved past the dark ages, where people could have differing opinions on something without being looked down on. Now, we can treat those plebes as they deserve to be treated. Opinions? Pah. Everyone knows that if someone else likes a movie they don't, clearly those people need to refine their tastes. The more that like something, the worse it is. *puffs on pipe, attaches monocle*
Honestly that's because there really isn't anything else new out yet. Neighbors yes, but no other big name genre film or "highly anticipated" film has shown up. They probably did it to prevent too much loss from Spidey but I'm willing to bet the new Godzilla film would be doing a lot better than Spidey. That being said Godzilla, if its good, is probably going to make a shittillion dollars.

Nov 28, 2007
KazeAizen said:
thebobmaster said:
Yeah, it dropped big. All the way to only being the second most successful movie this weekend. Don't get me wrong, the percentage drop is large, and recalculating the profit projections is a reasonable course of action. But anti-ASM people shouldn't start celebrating yet. It's still making money.

I'm glad to see, also, that we have moved past the dark ages, where people could have differing opinions on something without being looked down on. Now, we can treat those plebes as they deserve to be treated. Opinions? Pah. Everyone knows that if someone else likes a movie they don't, clearly those people need to refine their tastes. The more that like something, the worse it is. *puffs on pipe, attaches monocle*
Honestly that's because there really isn't anything else new out yet. Neighbors yes, but no other big name genre film or "highly anticipated" film has shown up. They probably did it to prevent too much loss from Spidey but I'm willing to bet the new Godzilla film would be doing a lot better than Spidey. That being said Godzilla, if its good, is probably going to make a shittillion dollars.
If it isn't good, it'll make half a shittillion dollars, because it's actually had a really good marketing push. I'm hoping it's good, though. It looks good, and I'd hate to see myself get sucked into a crappy Godzilla movie again. To be fair, I was 9 the first time.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
The film is atrocious, it's as simple as that.

Not that Garfield etc are bad actors, it's that they are forced to put up with shitty writing and directing.

Kind of like how Matt Smith got shit writing for his time as DW, poor guy. Actors having to push themselves above and beyond to try draining some decency out of whatever shit is scribbled together by monkeys and called a 'script.'

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
If this does not make enough money then it puts a major dent into their Spidey Universe plans. The amount of money it will cost to plan and set up a universe plus the venom and sinister six spin offs will be alot. An if they cant make a good profit on spidey then the rest wont do so well. I doubt sony will ever give up the license, they will sit on it again which means another reboot in 8 years.

Also the xmen movie is out in 2 weeks so Spidey only has a short time to make money before the better looking xmen movie is released.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I can't say I'm terribly surprised. I know a lot of folks who only saw the first ASM out of morbid curiosity and subsequently decided to skip the sequel entirely.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
For Amazing Spiderman 2 to be considered a success it can't just make a small profit it needs to be in the top three box office for the year. If it's not in the top box office spots for the year then the perception is going to be that the franchise is worn out and that makes it harder to market the next films if people start feeling like Sony has ran Spiderman into the ground already.

While this is not good news for Sony and it's not good news for the future of the wider Spiderman cinematic universe it could possibly be seen as a good thing for movie over all. If studios took the right lessons and decided hey we need to ramp up the writing and make better superhero films it could be a good thing for movie fans everywhere.

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
Jasper van Heycop said:
008Zulu said:
Amazing Spiderman 2 budget; $330 million. Projected gross; $424 million.
(figures include advertising)
So it already turned a profit, while still having several weeks to go in theaters? What is all this doomsaying about then?

From the way some people (including Moviebob) are wording this you'd think it didn't even break even.
When Gamestop sells a copy of Titanfall, EA doesn't get the full 60 bucks from the sale- they get a cut of it. Similarly, when a cinema sells a ticket for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for 10 bucks, Sony doesn't get the full amount, just a cut. Therefore, if costs were $330 million and gross sales are close to that number, Sony would almost certainly lose money with the movie (and that's before even considering financing costs), so it's relevant to include break-even gross sales points for Sony.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
thebobmaster said:
KazeAizen said:
thebobmaster said:

If it isn't good, it'll make half a shittillion dollars, because it's actually had a really good marketing push. I'm hoping it's good, though. It looks good, and I'd hate to see myself get sucked into a crappy Godzilla movie again. To be fair, I was 9 the first time.
I was around the same age when the 98 Godzilla came out so I wasn't at the point that I reflexively hated films or even hated films. Ergo it is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. The marketing for Godzilla is actually pretty good. Enough money shots but I bet not all of them plus very little of plot has been revealed so its not like the whole movie was given away. The embargo on the Godzilla reviews has come down and I read just one. Apparently pretty dang good. They apparently also used mocap to help create Godzilla. Which is even more awesome. Andy Serkis himself was a consultant on the dang thing. I think when it finally comes out we are in for a treat.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sony is not doing very well, are they? Thing is this probably won't stop them from making more Spider-Man movies and spin-offs. They REALLY need the money.

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
Ultimateslayer said:
Moviebob has like 5 different Blogs, a couple of video-series, Twitter, Facebook, a monthly podcast and he still has to clutter the Escapist with his Amazing Spiderman vendetta? C'mon man, you have enough outlets. We get it, you hate the movie, the public didn't like it and it didn't do great at the box office. You did your thing, and you still have countless other ways to ***** about the movie, could the Escapist go back to somewhat balanced reporting?
This is unfair. The only part of the news article that could be considered even remotely vindictive is the subtitle, "Peter Parker gets beaten up by a bunch of frat boys (and The Green Hornet)"- apart from that, the actual write-up is fairly objective and it follows up on topics which have already been touched on in The Escapist and which therefore should be interesting to read for those who want to know the full story.

In Escape to the Movies, he blasts the movie because he thinks it's bad, because it made him have a miserable time and even consider wanting to quit his job, and because he thinks it's a cancerous growth in the industry, which is the kind of brutally honest commentary I _love_ from Bob; that tone is almost completely absent here, as it should be since it's just a news article which follows up on the movie's performance. If this article was written under a different name, no one would've batted an eye.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like it's not doing too well.

I wonder if these movies had come out before the Sam Raimi ones, would Weird Al have made a better or worse parody song.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zato-1 said:
Ultimateslayer said:
This is unfair. The only part of the news article that could be considered even remotely vindictive is the subtitle, "Peter Parker gets beaten up by a bunch of frat boys (and The Green Hornet)"- apart from that, the actual write-up is fairly objective and it follows up on topics which have already been touched on in The Escapist and which therefore should be interesting to read for those who want to know the full story.

In Escape to the Movies, he blasts the movie because he thinks it's bad, because it made him have a miserable time and even consider wanting to quit his job, and because he thinks it's a cancerous growth in the industry, which is the kind of brutally honest commentary I _love_ from Bob; that tone is almost completely absent here, as it should be since it's just a news article which follows up on the movie's performance. If this article was written under a different name, no one would've batted an eye.
But why was it written?

There's literally no reason for it to be here. As Marter pointed out:

Marter said:
Also, I'm glad we reported on when Captain America: The Winter Soldier's Friday-to-Friday drop was 68%. Oh, wait, that didn't happen. I forgot that a 68% drop is a success while a 71% drop is a failure.
There's literally no reason for this article to exist, objective or not, except for the fact that Moviebob hates the movie and feels like being vindictive.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Zato-1 said:
Ultimateslayer said:

But why was it written?

There's literally no reason for it to be here. As Marter pointed out:

Marter said:
Also, I'm glad we reported on when Captain America: The Winter Soldier's Friday-to-Friday drop was 68%. Oh, wait, that didn't happen. I forgot that a 68% drop is a success while a 71% drop is a failure.
There's literally no reason for this article to exist, objective or not, except for the fact that Moviebob hates the movie and feels like being vindictive.
This website covers movie related news in addition to video games and TV. This article is related to information about a movie. Not sure how this is so out of the ordinary for you unless it's just MovieBob you have a problem with.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RavenTail said:
This website covers movie related news in addition to video games and TV. This article is related to information about a movie. Not sure how this is so out of the ordinary for you unless it's just MovieBob you have a problem with.
I know they cover movie-related news. This isn't news by any stretch. See what I quoted from Marter.

Unless Bob starts reporting on EVERY Friday-to-Friday drop of a movie related to geek culture (which, so far, he has not), then it's painfully obvious that he's only reporting this one because he wants to make it look like it's majorly failing (again, it is not). Because vindictiveness.