From 3rd Street to Musical Hell - The Journey of Saints Row

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
From 3rd Street to Musical Hell - The Journey of Saints Row

The roots of the latest Saints Row isn?t in hip-hop or gangster movies but in Disney animated films and Greek myth.

Read Full Article

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Very upsetting to hear they think they failed to deliver on the serious scenes in 2, because they were far and away my favourite scenes of the whole series, specifically that scene in The Brotherhoods arc. I like the crazy and all, but I don't give a shit about any character introduced after 2 because they all read like cartoon characters, nor do I care what happens in the story aside from "wonder what wacky thing we'll do next."

I think I'll skip Gat Out Of Hell. Sounds like a reskin of IV without The Boss.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
While this sounds like a tonne of fun, it does seem like the Boss will be taking a back seat. It may be fun to play as Gat (and perhaps Kinzie?), but I want my Boss, dammit.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
So the Saints are going after the devil now. Way to write yourselves into a corner guys...

kii

May 16, 2013
mjharper said:
While this sounds like a tonne of fun, it does seem like the Boss will be taking a back seat. It may be fun to play as Gat (and perhaps Kinzie?), but I want my Boss, dammit.
I second that. Gat is nice and all, but I'm not sure how much fun it'll be without my boss. And Troy Baker, of course.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
If they wanted killing Jessica to feel like the player had crossed a line, they probably shouldn't have made it clear that what happened to Carlos was all her idea. I mean, if they'd had Maero call the boss to gloat about Carlos's fate and written Jessica as a naive girl who got in too deep, then killing Jessica would have felt like the boss was no better than him or Shogo. As it stands, she was just another gang leader who attacked the Saints and paid the price.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
AgentLampshade said:
Very upsetting to hear they think they failed to deliver on the serious scenes in 2, because they were far and away my favourite scenes of the whole series, specifically that scene in The Brotherhoods arc. I like the crazy and all, but I don't give a shit about any character introduced after 2 because they all read like cartoon characters, nor do I care what happens in the story aside from "wonder what wacky thing we'll do next."
130% agree. Saints Row 2 was the best one in my mind, precisely because it was ridiculous without going so far over the top that I could still engage with the characters.

Carlos and "that scene" was easily the most powerful moment in that entire franchise. I was legitimately furious when I finished playing through it, and that doesn't ever really happen to me.

That said, I did really like 3 and 4 for the over the top cartoonishness. It's not as "Good" as SR2, but it is more "Fun", and I'm definitely intrigued by Gat Out of Hell. I'm gonna miss playing as the Boss though, he and his ridiculous Cockney accent was by far the best character in 3 and 4.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
2 was brilliant. To the point where 3's over-the-top silliness was such a tonal departure, I didn't even enjoy it on my first playthrough. In fact, for the first hours I contemplated quitting it altogether. I powered through of course and eventually came to appreciate it for what it was rather than what I wanted it to be, but if given the choice between 2 and any other game in the series, I don't need to flip a coin to tell you which one I prefer.

The fourth game was fun, the third game was fun, but 2 is a landmark game for me. Balancing a real story and characterization with some silliness was a glorious choice and I wish for more of that.

All my whining aside however, I still plan to play Gat Out Of Hell and I will probably enjoy it too. I've liked all the games so far {eventually}. I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining too much. Even the "bad" Saints Row was better than most of the other games I'd played in the years in which they were released.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Say what you will but this is probably the only game I can think of where the main character is of east Asian decent and not a ninja/samurai/martial Artist/assassin of some kind.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Huh. A co-op game set in the Saints Row universe, but largely without the customizable boss, starring what I consider to be the two least interesting characters out of all the available homies in SRIV.

I could imagine the idea being implemented well, but I'm going to need some evidence that this is actually still a sandbox game before I'm on board. Otherwise, it doesn't really sound all that interesting to me.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
DataSnake said:
If they wanted killing Jessica to feel like the player had crossed a line, they probably shouldn't have made it clear that what happened to Carlos was all her idea. I mean, if they'd had Maero call the boss to gloat about Carlos's fate and written Jessica as a naive girl who got in too deep, then killing Jessica would have felt like the boss was no better than him or Shogo. As it stands, she was just another gang leader who attacked the Saints and paid the price.
My sentiments exactly, though I can't say I disagree that the Boss did err on the side of sociopathic and needlessly cruel with some of her actions, particularly when it came to the Brotherhood. I did relish the opportunity to put Jessica into the path of Maro's monster truck though regardless.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Sounds like it could be fun.

I'm not deeply enamored with Gat as the lead character- I'm fine with him in background, but he's kind of one-dimensional in the recent entries- but still, it looks like they've found somewhere creative to go with the series, and I have to admit I'm curious where the whole "Disney parody" angle might go.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
That interview makes me suspect the guys at Volition are not entirely sure of what makes the Saints Row series work.

One the one hand, the tone of the second game meshed pretty well with the over the top antics. While I did enjoy the third game, the tone was so cartoony it felt like a parody of the previous game.

On the other hand, player projection (via customizable avatar) has been a big factor of the series, and now they want to revert to a fixed character? Why do I suspect the hand of the marketing department is guiding this choice?

In any case, I never understood the fixation with Gat.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
If they do not use the song "Like A Bat Out Of Hell" at one point or another, I am going to be severely disappointed?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Oskuro said:
In any case, I never understood the fixation with Gat.
Well, in SR1 he was kind of the cool guy of the group, you never really saw him do much but it was there.

In SR2 he basicly is the only character with you from SR1 basicly making him the right hand of the Boss and he is played out as a very competent and hard to kill guy that manages to be as cool as he can be. Also, he gets a lot of stuff going on with him in 1 and 2 with him dating the person that ends up being his wife, it builds up the character.

In SR3 and 4 he is the ultimate warrior or some shit, they did go a bit overboard but it did fitted the tone of the new games mixing with how he was represented in the previous ones.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
More Saints? oh yes!
Playing as Gat? Girly fan squeak!
And out in January? Excellent!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm intrigued, even if I haven't really found Gat to be interesting since Saints Row 2 (what with him barely being there in SR:TT and being seen as a God figure in SRIV).

Glad the boss is gone as the playable character, might offer new opportunities.

Saints Row 2 is still the best in terms of tone, though. It's consistent and balances the grim and goofy well. To be honest I think that's what put me off SR:TT because the tone was all over the place. Saints Row IV at least proved to me that it wasn't the goofy wackiness that was the problem with the third game, it was the ultra grim dark tone juxtaposed with the goofy gameplay (this is much like all of the Dead Rising games).