From Wii to 360 yet I can't do it

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ok I talked to my parents about the whole 360 thing. they said that if I can wait till Christmas and get enough money they will put into consideration of me getting it. So looks like the problems is pretty much solved. Thanks to everyone that contributed ideas on this situation. Thank you very much! So it looks like there's only one last thing to do

/thread

Merteg

May 9, 2009
I easily play all the console's controllers.

Unless your dad's 90, he should be able to adapt to the slightly different control scheme.

Also, what were you thinking buying a CALL OF DUTY for the Wii? That's like a gaming sin!

Let me tell you, my Wii was boring me with horrible graphics and only 2 good games so I bought X-Box 360. It's one thousand times better.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
If your dad likes COD WAW, then tell him it's a hell of a lot better on the 360. However at the end of the day, it's whoever holds the money. But you do need to get the 360, if only because our modern warfare isn't being crammed into a console too small for it.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Explain to your mum how different they are, and if that dosen't work, wait for your birthday.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
As Wii owner, I got the 360 just for Virtua Fighter 5 and I barely use my 360. Maybe for like 10mins then I got to back to Wii for hours. Suck it up. Do you want a 360?

mattman106

Aug 19, 2009
klc0100 said:
Tell your mum the 360s a DVD player?
This

OT: Tell your dad that unless he can convince your mum to let you have both he'll have to game on 360. Hopefully he'll be able to convince your mum to let you have both. If he can't then it's his 'fault' for not convincing her. Either way you get a 360!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
popdafoo said:
Trust me, I have both a 360 and a Wii and I never use my Wii. The 360 is the way to go. You'll get used to the controllers, I swear.

DrDeath3191 said:
Buy the thing yourself? Unless your family won't allow that either, in which case just keep the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy, man!
I can think of so many better games that aren't on the Wii than can beat the hell out of Metroid. I mean, you're missing out on Gears of War, Prototype, BioShock, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and so many more games. Really, sacrificing Metroid is worth it.
I'm curious to know why do you think those games that you listed are better then Metroid Prime Trilogy. Not saying that those games aren't bad, just wondering because while those games are good, I don't think they're better than the Trilogy.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Buy it yourself and if they won't let you just sell the Wii. It's your dads fault for not letting you use your own money to buy something

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Merteg said:
I easily play all the console's controllers.

Unless your dad's 90, he should be able to adapt to the slightly different control scheme.

Also, what were you thinking buying a CALL OF DUTY for the Wii? That's like a gaming sin!

Let me tell you, my Wii was boring me with horrible graphics and only 2 good games so I bought X-Box 360. It's one thousand times better.
Oh merteg, and I thought we were friends, then you had to go and say that...I'm devastated.

Anyway, if you guys read above, you'll find this thread is done now. [HEADING=1]There's no need to continue recommending he gets a PS3 instead, or get's games for his PC instead, or telling him the Wii sucks etc. It's done. Stop.[/HEADING]

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
That really sucks that your mom wouldn't let you get a 360 even with your own money. Maybe you should just use the old argument that the Wii doesn't suit you and that the 360 is what you really need. I mean even if you really enjoy MP on the Wii I don't think your mom would force you to play a console in which you only play one game on it.

There's another thing you may as well hear out now: You will regret selling a gaming console. I can promise you that in less than a year you are going to be rolling on the ground screaming, "I WANT TO PLAY THIS ONE GAME AGAIN THAT'S ONLY ON _! WHY DID I SELL _!? HOW STUPID CAN I BE?!"
That is so true :'(. I sold my xbox, 360, and all my games for those two consoles like an idiot and now I wish I still had them. All of them were original copies.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
I kinda agree with Susan Arendt. I have a Wii and true I don't play it often. The only reason for that is I have a tendency to play any game that is not beaten to death. On every console. So, your dad likes it and you're switching because other people don't like it. Just stick with it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:
Or....suck it up and deal with the fact that the people who put a roof over your head don't want to get a 360?

Your dad is enjoying the Wii -- first off, celebrate that fact. You and your dad can relate over games, something a large portion of this community will never get to do. Yes, you would more than likely enjoy a 360, but if your dad doesn't feel comfortable with the controller, who are you to try and force him to change? He deserves to be able to enjoy games the way he wants to enjoy them, not the way you think he should.

It does seem fair that if you can buy it yourself, you should be allowed to have one, but ultimately, that's up to your parents. Gaming isn't a right, it's a privilege. Your parents don't have to let you have any game systems at all. Is it frustrating for you? Absolutely. Welcome to being a teenager. Sometimes it's unfair.

Isn't that kinda irrelevant being as he was asking for a solution rather than for someone to insult him?
But that is a solution. Simply accepting that he may not get what he wants because it's ultimately out of his control is a solution to the situation. Does it suck that it's out of his control? Well, sure. It's very frustrating, but the bottom line is, if his mom doesn't want more than one console in the house, she's not being unreasonable, she's simply doing her job.

What may be pertinent is discovering exactly why she doesn't want more than one console in the house. It could be any number of things -- she doesn't want the added expense, she's afraid it'll affect the OP's grades, she simply doesn't want clutter. Some of her concerns may be something that can be addressed, and some may not be.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:
Or....suck it up and deal with the fact that the people who put a roof over your head don't want to get a 360?

Your dad is enjoying the Wii -- first off, celebrate that fact. You and your dad can relate over games, something a large portion of this community will never get to do. Yes, you would more than likely enjoy a 360, but if your dad doesn't feel comfortable with the controller, who are you to try and force him to change? He deserves to be able to enjoy games the way he wants to enjoy them, not the way you think he should.

It does seem fair that if you can buy it yourself, you should be allowed to have one, but ultimately, that's up to your parents. Gaming isn't a right, it's a privilege. Your parents don't have to let you have any game systems at all. Is it frustrating for you? Absolutely. Welcome to being a teenager. Sometimes it's unfair.

Isn't that kinda irrelevant being as he was asking for a solution rather than for someone to insult him?
But that is a solution. Simply accepting that he may not get what he wants because it's ultimately out of his control is a solution to the situation. Does it suck that it's out of his control? Well, sure. It's very frustrating, but the bottom line is, if his mom doesn't want more than one console in the house, she's not being unreasonable, she's simply doing her job.

What may be pertinent is discovering exactly why she doesn't want more than one console in the house. It could be any number of things -- she doesn't want the added expense, she's afraid it'll affect the OP's grades, she simply doesn't want clutter. Some of her concerns may be something that can be addressed, and some may not be.
No, her job is not to make sure everything goes her way, her job is to raise her child well, letting him use his own resources to attain something that he wants is not really that bad of a thing.

It's not a solution, it is merely a "deal with it", I don't see how you can say that solves anything, it doesn't change the situation at all.
Finally, all of your arguments for why he shouldn't have it can be easily refuted, he said he could use his own money, if gaming were to affect his grades, wouldn't the Wii do that anyway, and an Xbox doesn't create clutter, it's not a big thing. So why, if you can't come up with a viable reason not to get it, should she be able to?

I admit that it is most likely out of his hands, but there's no need to be so condescending about it.

diptochowdhury

Aug 14, 2009
tell your dad that if he continues with the wii and all the flailing it brings it will bring on early arthritis. the 360 controllers are more comfortable. has your dad ever actually used a 360 controller? ask him that. if he has then nothing doing but if he hasnt convince him to give it a try. i think he just doesnt like the look of it. which, if it is true, you should ask,, is very prejudiced especially considering that when asked by people who have both consoles, they should normally that the 360 is better

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:

No, her job is not to make sure everything goes her way, her job is to raise her child well, letting him use his own resources to attain something that he wants is not really that bad of a thing.

It's not a solution, it is merely a "deal with it", I don't see how you can say that solves anything, it doesn't change the situation at all.
Finally, all of your arguments for why he shouldn't have it can be easily refuted, he said he could use his own money, if gaming were to affect his grades, wouldn't the Wii do that anyway, and an Xbox doesn't create clutter, it's not a big thing. So why, if you can't come up with a viable reason not to get it, should she be able to?

I admit that it is most likely out of his hands, but there's no need to be so condescending about it.
I'm not being condescending at all. And these aren't MY arguments, they're possible reasons why his mother why not want a second console in the house. Don't confuse my suggestion for possible explanations with my personal opinion on the subject. The bottom line is, whether you (or he, or I) find her attitude reasonable or not, we don't get to make those rules. It's your opinion that she should be raising her child a certain way, to "let him use his own resources", and while that's a perfectly good way to raise a child, it's not the only right way. Just because you (or I or he) disagree with her, that doesn't make her wrong. Me personally, I would have no problem letting my child pay for his or her own console and play it to their heart's content, so long as their chores got done and their grades stayed good. But it's not my call, it's his mom and dad's.

And while it may not be a solution to getting him what he wants, it is a solution to him being unhappy about things that are out of his control. Instead of focusing on the negative - he can't get what he wants for reasons that he can't alter - focus on the positive. He does have a Wii, and a parent that shares his enthusiasm for gaming. Those are both wonderful things.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:
ShredHead said:
Susan Arendt said:

I'm not being condescending at all. And these aren't MY arguments, they're possible reasons why his mother why not want a second console in the house. Don't confuse my suggestion for possible explanations with my personal opinion on the subject. The bottom line is, whether you (or he, or I) find her attitude reasonable or not, we don't get to make those rules. It's your opinion that she should be raising her child a certain way, to "let him use his own resources", and while that's a perfectly good way to raise a child, it's not the only right way. Just because you (or I or he) disagree with her, that doesn't make her wrong. Me personally, I would have no problem letting my child pay for his or her own console and play it to their heart's content, so long as their chores got done and their grades stayed good. But it's not my call, it's his mom and dad's.

And while it may not be a solution to getting him what he wants, it is a solution to him being unhappy about things that are out of his control. Instead of focusing on the negative - he can't get what he wants for reasons that he can't alter - focus on the positive. He does have a Wii, and a parent that shares his enthusiasm for gaming. Those are both wonderful things.

This is taking up a lot of space so I'll just say that I know they aren't you arguments, they're hypothetical arguments that his mother could make, and they can all be easily refuted, so what makes you think she has a real reason?
And I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree on the rest.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Well tell mum that the wii can be the family console and the 360 can be my console or something, i'm sure your dad would let you get a 360 if that means he gets to keep his precious wii.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
You could always wait until the next generation of consoles. Maybe by then you'll be out of your parents house.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
popdafoo said:
At first it seems like a jump, but you'll quickly realize how much you were missing out on. The 360's controls work so much better than the Wii's, and if he thinks World at War is fun on the Wii, wait until he sees it with good graphics. Or, you could save up and get a 360 without selling the Wii.

Trust me, I have both a 360 and a Wii and I never use my Wii. The 360 is the way to go. You'll get used to the controllers, I swear.

DrDeath3191 said:
Buy the thing yourself? Unless your family won't allow that either, in which case just keep the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy, man!
I can think of so many better games that aren't on the Wii than can beat the hell out of Metroid. I mean, you're missing out on Gears of War, Prototype, BioShock, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and so many more games. Really, sacrificing Metroid is worth it.
Thank you for saying all that I needed to say.

The controller is actually very easy to get accustomed to. It's probably the best controller I've used for a console.