FTL: Faster Than Light is pretty awesome

Possum TheGreat

Apr 4, 2010
Great game. I finished it not one hour ago for the first time, with only three crew members. I was pretty impressed. A word of advice: Cloaking devices are really useful against the final boss, as you can just activate it as soon as he launches his missiles (which I found to be one of the biggest problems, especially as I didn't have the manpower to repair everything once it was hit) and they'll all miss.

Also, I find the best way to repel boarding parties is just to get improved blast doors and then drain their oxygen, waiting them out until they reach the med bay, where your crew can fight the enemy (once already weakened). I've noticed that if the enemy is suffocating, they usually go for the nearest door rather tham the system in the room that they occupy, so if you can drain the oxygen fast enough, you won't have to worry too much about keeping your life support alive.

Just thought I'd give my thoughts and advice. My congratulations to the devs.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Possum TheGreat said:
Great game. I finished it not one hour ago for the first time, with only three crew members. I was pretty impressed. A word of advice: Cloaking devices are really useful against the final boss, as you can just activate it as soon as he launches his missiles (which I found to be one of the biggest problems, especially as I didn't have the manpower to repair everything once it was hit) and they'll all miss.

Also, I find the best way to repel boarding parties is just to get improved blast doors and then drain their oxygen, waiting them out until they reach the med bay, where your crew can fight the enemy (once already weakened). I've noticed that if the enemy is suffocating, they usually go for the nearest door rather tham the system in the room that they occupy, so if you can drain the oxygen fast enough, you won't have to worry too much about keeping your life support alive.

How long is the game in general, give me a ball park figure if you can?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'll get it at some point, for now though I'm too busy with gw2 and next week borderlands 2 comes out.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
So much fun. I keep dying a lot and feel like a noob or that I am missing something but I think its cuz I get goddamned boarded all the time. I had about 8 people on my crew and lost most of them to boarding parties, then I lost another guy to sickness at a random event. I think of it like Oregon Trail but on crack and in space:p I mean that in the best way possible.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
I decided to just buy it anyway, it looks good and I have never played a game like this. New to PC gaming, kinda (finally have my own decent computer) and I expect to get my ass handed to me a lot in this game. My first rogue-like game, so I hear it's a learn from your mistakes perma death kind of title, hope I like it :)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I got it and played with it some just now. But it's too late and I've drank too much rum. I won my first battle, but I realized at the end that I had never ordered my crew members to stations. And I know better, since I've seen several videos of the game before playing.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I started playing and before I knew it 4 hours had passed. I've been a bit of a wimp so far and been playing on easy, but I'd like to understand the mechanics of it before I increase the difficulty. I'm still trying to get how the other race's ships are supposed to be played, but I think that's part of the fun of it.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I was completly bored, and convinced that I really wouldent be playing much of anything untill Halo 4 and ACIII came out....

....and then this came out of nowhere and slapped me in the face

Seriously, just proves that Rouge-likes (or however thats spelled) can just take my life by storm if im not careful 0_o

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
I would love to play it, but they have some funky resolution issues going on. The game doesn't fit my screen right...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Just so you all know, this was a kickstarter funded game.
You know, I see a lot of complaints that the game is incomplete, and they just "took the money."

That explains it, I guess.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
It seems it's getting very popular. I was just looking at the Steam topsellers today and it's second right behind Borderlands 2. Someone is probably earning a nice bit of cash and it's well deserved. Congrats Subset Games for bringing something new and fresh to the PC.

Possum TheGreat

Apr 4, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Possum TheGreat said:

That's a difficult question. I see that you've now bought it, but for the benefit of others I will answer the question anyway:

It really depends on how good you are at it, and also on how lucky you are. One playthrough, from finish to end, can take as short an amount of time as oe or two hours, but the fact of the matter is that you have to play it many times to be both skilled enough and lucky enough to win. And even after that, there is a bunch of ships to unlock, and extra ship layouts to unlock, too, neither of which are easy.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Possum TheGreat said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Possum TheGreat said:

That's a difficult question. I see that you've now bought it, but for the benefit of others I will answer the question anyway:

It really depends on how good you are at it, and also on how lucky you are. One playthrough, from finish to end, can take as short an amount of time as oe or two hours, but the fact of the matter is that you have to play it many times to be both skilled enough and lucky enough to win. And even after that, there is a bunch of ships to unlock, and extra ship layouts to unlock, too, neither of which are easy.
After playing, I see what you mean. I have one question though, as I haven't died after my two hours last night, is the galaxy maps etc random generated each play through as well?

Possum TheGreat

Apr 4, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Possum TheGreat said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Possum TheGreat said:

After playing, I see what you mean. I have one question though, as I haven't died after my two hours last night, is the galaxy maps etc random generated each play through as well?
Yeah. If you could somehow record what you found at certain places and then apply the knowledge to future playthroughs, it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining or as replayable. Of course, the number of events where you have to make choices is somewhat limited (as are the outcomes, at times), but the game mainly prides itself on the combat, which is very varied (as you know), especially with the environmental hazards, like solar flares, asteroid fields, etc.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I watched Nerdcubed's playthrough of it and I really want to play it now.

Unfortunately I don't have Steam or a computer that can do anything useful whatsoever so that might be kind of hard to do.

Still looks amazing, though.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Took me an hour to beat the final boss (Killed all of the gunners with my two Mantis crewmen, but then I didn't realize that you can't pull guys out of a cloaked ship...so they both died after it cloaked. And my weapons weren't strong enough to punch through the shields, so I had to sacrifice a crewmember to get a single damage on the Rebel Flagship's hull (Have them attack the pilot, distracting him so that the evade chance went to 0% and I could unload on it). I finally killed it with two crewmen left (One died because the Flagship warped away with him still onboard though)...and then the game tells me that it came back more powerful than before. And here I am, with one Engi and a ship that could barely beat the first form at full power. Died before I could even reach the second Flagship.

So laaaaame.