FUCKING SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
DoPo said:
anthony87 said:
Mass Fucking Effect 3. The people were so upset with the ending (and for some, this meant the entire game) that they were quite happy (metaphorically speaking) to just go into detail as to why it was bad. Without bothering to mention "spoilers" or to even stick to a ME thread. Since I saw enough of this I finally decided keeping away from it (as I was trying to do back then) was useless. So I went and watched the ending on YouTube.

Oh, yes, it ruined my experience. Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate being bombarded with information on what happens starting a mere day after the release of the product!
Yes indeed. This. And this is the only instance it happened; I generally stay well out of the way of spoilers. But this was just too much; everything mass effect 3-related contained at least one massive spoiler about the ending. I managed to avoid them all, but it was really difficult.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Spoilers don't bother me all that much. Partly because I am in the mindset where I enjoy watching what happens and leads up to an act more than the act itself. What difference does it make if I know the end if I am more interested in what happens in between. Even if someone had spoiled the twist in the Sixth Sense I would have enjoyed the movie that much more trying to find clues that pointed to the twist.

That being said there is a difference between saying that "X dies" and "X is killed by Y after " The former keeps things interesting the later is just a horrible spoiler.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Budweiser said:
SkarKrow said:
Budweiser said:
I like going to see brand new movies and then upon leaving I like to loudly discuss the ending in front of all the people still waiting in line...
I tip my hypothetical hat to your immense level of douchebaggery my good man, I hope their anguish brings you great joy xD
thank you thank you... but it's not really hard for me... being from New Jersey douchbaggery just comes naturally :p
Being British it comes quite naturally to me too, it's just what we do. =D

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Most recent (and most annoying) for me was Mass Effect 3, though not the ending. It's regarding Tali and is safe to read if you've completed the Quarrien/Geth part of the main plot.

I was told that Tali killed herself at the end of the arc, not as a possibility but as a set event. In my actual playthrough I yelled at everyone until the Quarriens turned on their brains and everyone decided to not shoot everyone else to oblivion in a war neither side wanted, but it was wierd thinking that whatever I did, Tali woud die (she was my love interest on my main save file).

I did manage some respite by convincing myself that a possibe outcome HAD to be the Quarriens re-taking their home, and it made no sense to Tali to kill herself then, so the spoiler must be wrong (sacrifice herself possibly, but the spoiler specifically said suicide); if you think about it - other that the Geth wiping it out - she basically has nothing to live for in the Armada. No family, few remaining friends at that point... no sense to kill herself over loss.

But of course, this was when I still had faith in the Bioware writing team. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
I'm pretty good about not being spoiled on things. Generally if people are talking about something I tune them out, or my friend will ask first. I had one friend tell me the ending to Mana Khemia because I never planned on playing it. A couple months later I had forgotten about the spoiler and had started playing the game. About halfway through I remembered and just started laughing at the circumstances. Ah well.

Sadly, I was responsible for spoiling FF9 to one of my friends. Mind you this was years after the game had been out, she often talked about how much she loved Kuja as a character. I ended up pointing to what happens to him at the end to hear, "I hadn't finished it yet!" She was quite upset.

Scabadus said:
Most recent (and most annoying) for me was Mass Effect 3, though not the ending. It's regarding Tali and is safe to read if you've completed the Quarrien/Geth part of the main plot.

I was told that Tali killed herself at the end of the arc, not as a possibility but as a set event. In my actual playthrough I yelled at everyone until the Quarriens turned on their brains and everyone decided to not shoot everyone else to oblivion in a war neither side wanted, but it was wierd thinking that whatever I did, Tali woud die (she was my love interest on my main save file).

I did manage some respite by convincing myself that a possibe outcome HAD to be the Quarriens re-taking their home, and it made no sense to Tali to kill herself then, so the spoiler must be wrong (sacrifice herself possibly, but the spoiler specifically said suicide); if you think about it - other that the Geth wiping it out - she basically has nothing to live for in the Armada. No family, few remaining friends at that point... no sense to kill herself over loss.

But of course, this was when I still had faith in the Bioware writing team. Sorry, couldn't resist!
See I would've been annoyed had I heard that. Instead I didn't even know it was possible till someone told me at a later time. Then I had to look it up because I didn't believe it. ME3 had some crazy shit happen.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
I actively seek out spoilers because I loathe surprises. So, obviously they don't bother me. :)

Kalezian said:
you were on TvTropes.

AND ON THE SIXTH DAY, THE INTERNET SAID 'LO, THIS IS TVTROPES' AND NOTHING WAS ACCOMPLISHED FOR THE NEXT FIVE THOUSAND YEARS.
Dear god, isn't that the truth? Haha. I've procrastinated more schoolwork on TV Tropes than I think anywhere else on the internet.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
SkarKrow said:
I had it spoiled to buy my shithead friend ¬_¬ The same one who spoiled BioShock for me.

My eventual response was, upon learning he had completely avoided even the hype for arkham city, to tell him the ending. He cried, I laughed, vengeance is sweet.
That's actually pretty funny, since I actually knows what happens in Arkham City's ending and thus now how devastating a spoiler could be, thanks for the laugh!
lemby117 said:
OT: The Ending To Red Dead Redemption, still f*cking loved it though
I know right, I got it spoiled to me, though it was so awesomely executed that it didn't matter in the end anyway. The only complaint I got for Red Dead Redemption is that it was abit short, just a few story related missions and it would've had the best game story ever.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
David Bjur said:
SkarKrow said:
I had it spoiled to buy my shithead friend ¬_¬ The same one who spoiled BioShock for me.

My eventual response was, upon learning he had completely avoided even the hype for arkham city, to tell him the ending. He cried, I laughed, vengeance is sweet.
That's actually pretty funny, since I actually knows what happens in Arkham City's ending and thus now how devastating a spoiler could be, thanks for the laugh!
You're welcome, I do like when people wallow in misery I've caused that aren't me. Especially when it's deserved.

A touch off-topic here; I found arkham citys' ending to pretty much be the only good part of the story. That whole game seemed so much more loose and unfocused compared to it's predecessor.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
DoPo said:
anthony87 said:
"What's something(A movie, book series, game series etc.) that you love that was then spoiled for you? Was it in fact someone who spoiled it, or did you yourself spoil it like my example above? Did it ruin your overall experience, or not even affect it at all?"
Mass Fucking Effect 3. The people were so upset with the ending (and for some, this meant the entire game) that they were quite happy (metaphorically speaking) to just go into detail as to why it was bad. Without bothering to mention "spoilers" or to even stick to a ME thread. Since I saw enough of this I finally decided keeping away from it (as I was trying to do back then) was useless. So I went and watched the ending on YouTube.

Oh, yes, it ruined my experience. Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate being bombarded with information on what happens starting a mere day after the release of the product!
This, just this.

I think that some people forget that not everyone played mass effect 3 or heard about the ending yet.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
SkarKrow said:
David Bjur said:
SkarKrow said:

You're welcome, I do like when people wallow in misery I've caused that aren't me. Especially when it's deserved.

A touch off-topic here; I found arkham citys' ending to pretty much be the only good part of the story. That whole game seemed so much more loose and unfocused compared to it's predecessor.
Actually, the ending is the only part I know anything about sooo, I can't really judge if it's the best part or not.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Well I was told the twist in SH2 when I was only half way through it thanks to a careless git who I told not to spoil anything and I also had the ending of There Will Be Blood thanks to a joke in a Rooster Teeth Short...

and similarly when someone asked me if the (spoiler)couple had been killed yet (spoiler end) in The Girl Who Played With Fire moments before getting to that bit... *facepalm*

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Can't say I've really had anything major spoiled for me unless I specifically said "Chances are I'll never play/see/read that, go ahead and tell me."

But just in regards to spoilers in general: when a friend accidentally lets it slip that "such and such dies" or "so and so turns out to be a traitor", that definitely sucks...not much you can do to unhear something that's been spoken.

As far as internet spoilers are concerned, I'm of the mind that if the internet spoils something for you then it's your own damn fault. :p

It's really quite simple: if you don't want to get spoilers, don't go to places where you'll be likely to find spoilers. A topic that says "ABOUT THE ENDING TO DEAD SPACE 2!" one should expect to find spoilers inside. But they'll click it and then type "OMG WTF WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME THERE'S SPOILERS?!"

Personally I didn't read any threads on Mass Effect 3 before I bought it (since apparently the script was leaked...as well as the endings) and I certainly didn't read any until I had beaten the game for myself. Why? Because I didn't want it to be spoiled.

That said, I'm not completely unsympathetic. If a topic just says "About Dead Space 2..." and then in the middle of some rambling monologue the author says "Like the ending where this guy does this and has to get in that machine to do that and yadda yadda yadda." Yes, that belongs in spoiler tags for people who did not know you were going to be discussing things with spoilers. But for that matter, I still say it's best to just avoid any potential spoiler-giving places on the web.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Well I think /co/ has ruined The Avengers for me, meanwhile my friend decided it would be funny yo tell me exactly what happens in Full Metal Alchemist word for freaking word.

I got him back though. Bastard cant enjoy Mass Effect any more. Not just 3, I ruined the whole series for him.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
DoPo said:

That is exactly why I learned to stay away from the internet the day a game I love comes out that is really popular. Not many people know how to use the tags and then just...don't.

OT: Um...no. I usually either purposely spoil myself or run away quickly/cover my ears and eyes.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Yeah, Tv Tropes will do that to you OP. Strangely though I don't tend to get this too often, or if I do I hardly notice or care, even if I end up reading up about stuff on tv tropes first (which I tend to do if I'm in the middle of a series which I've recently become obsessed with).

It kinda happened with the Buffy comics season 8 (not due to tv tropes, merely by me looking up the names of the compliation issues I was buying so I could find the next issue) with regards to the Big Bads identity. More recently I had it happen slightly with a few small plot points in w.i.t.c.h, but it wasn't too bad.

Somehow I tend to avoid most bigger spoilers, like the identity of the origama killer from Heavy Rain, everything that happened in Infamous (still haven't played 2, know idea what happens still), the "Would you kindly?" thing, every revelation in Lost and everything from Portal 2, despite not playing it until several months after release.

I even managed to avoid the ME3 ending spoilers, though I knew people were complaining about them I somehow managed to avoid direct spoilers.

So er, go me I suppose!

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
bladester1 said:
The blasted Art book in the CE of ME3 ruined some stuff for me. I mean really what do they expect us to do while we wait for the game to install but go through and look at all the pretty things we just bought!!!! You bastards!!!
This. So much this. I already knew
Jack
was back, and
what she looked like
because that was in the advert for the collectors edition, but did they really need to make it so fucking obvious that
EDI was getting a body and was therefore going to be a companion!?

As for stuff that I've spoiled for myself... Quite a few things. Usually my own fault, for reading threads, or message boards, or news articles or whatever. Sometimes I just cant tear myself away. So I can only blame myself. Luckily I've never spoiled anything huge for myself, and sometimes (especially in games) I've only spoilt stuff that I was just about to reach anyway.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and because I'm usually curious about casts of TV shows, I will sometimes spoil character deaths for myself due to checking them out on IMDb, and discovering how many episodes they're in. Thats how I...

found out which episode Adam died in, so while the actualy episode was quite tense, I knew he was going to buy it at the end. Still awesome though.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
The only example that is recent for me is ME3, I know better then to just go blindly into a thread with the title but the first thread I read about ME3 almost killed it for me because they were pretty much only mad with the ending but luckily I did not read further to read what the ending was about. The ending was fine by me and I am happy to have witnessed it for myself.