Full Metal Genesis

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
I'm honestly tired of people who say that Shinji should stop whining. The pain he goes through and the timeframe he experienced them would crack many people in real life.
Just because it's "good character development" in your mind doesn't mean we aren't all going to crack jokes about it.

Nobody likes a sad-sack and the joke that "Shinji needs a good lay" is probably pretty accurate. And made doubly funny by the fact that the plot has him as a bad-ass, robot-piloting, action-hero who saves the world while completely surrounded hot girls.

AceRay

Jan 8, 2013
Doesn't mean that EVA is great. I watched the first 4 episodes and it was boring and uninteresting. I seriously don't get what anyone sees in this show.[/quote]

It starts out as just a generic giant robot fighting show and you think that its going down the same tropes. This is to trick you. around episode 12, things start to go... different and it deconstructs the genre. I actually think you should watch the last two episodes, seriously here, and then tell me if that's how you thought it would end. Its honestly a good idea

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
Alssadar said:
I'm not going to say much, as I haven't watched Eva, but I thought this would be related:
EDIT: Picture related too small; I'm going to post a direct link, and I hope that's okay.
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1351/37/1351375431682.png

That aside, Alphonse definitely coped better.
lol the last sentence was too much for me

Dec 14, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Gendo Ikari, best dad ever.

Shinji Ikari, only person to complain that he gets to pilot a giant robot and live with MILFsato.
A giant robot which he has no experience with and tortures him whenever he gets in it.

I can't tell now if these guys make these comics to piss off eva fans or are genuinely ill informed about eva. Or both.
Because it's really easy to get their backs up?

I watched Evangelion, hell I still really like the show, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the humour of one aspect of the show blown out of proportion.

Maybe that's just me, but I always like jokes at the expense of things I like.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Kargathia said:
To be fair though, if the roles were reversed, then Al still wouldn't (and couldn't) do much about the NGE harem throwing themselves at him.
Oh, you don't know Al. He'll have every one of them hoping their heart out that one day he will realize his dream and become a real boy again. And that they will be there when it happens.

And that he has no clothes on when he comes back. AND NEITHER DO THEY.

Alphonse Elric. Taking the title of Boss to new heights.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Casual Shinji said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I've had people tell me FMA wasn't good anime because it was "too westernized." Ha.
Replace 'too westernized' with 'tonally schizophrenic', and I'd say they're onto something.
What do you guys mean "too westernized"? Was it because it wasn't set in Japan and the characters had no Japanese names? That's what didn't click for me with FMA, they didn't tell you where or when it's set, until the last few episodes, where they reveal it's an alternate universe 1920's Germany, I think. Although you are spot on about the tonal schizophrenia; they flipped back-and-forth between slapstick goofiness and depressive seriousness so much it gave me a new form of whiplash (seriously, there are way too many scenes of Edward speaking like he's a few seconds away from crying). I thought the last two panels of today's comic captured that wonderfully.
Were you watching the dubbed version? The voice of Ed - no, the whole dubbing of Ed changes his character a good ways towards "immature punk who screwed up and can't deal". I can't describe the real char in a few words, so I won't try.

But suffice it to say I started watching shows with subtitles at all because I once left them on by accident when Scar was showing Ed the graveyard at Lior. The dubbed dialogue was far enough off of the subtitled words that they weren't actually "saying the same thing" if you get what I mean. It was enough to make me aware that the characters weren't even sounding like the subtitled ones would, so I replayed the scene with the Japanese voices. I found that the characters were played *deeply* differently and they (and the scene) were way better for it.

I restarted the series with subs and haven't ever watched a foreign show with dubs since :)

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
mrhateful said:
I've been wanting to see Neon genesis since everyone says that it is very good. However, from what I have seen of it is that it show cases the very worst stereo types of anime, (Weak main character, excessive fan service, all female characters clinging to the protagonist like flies around a turd, oh and that stupid thing anime does where the main character slips and land body first on a female touching her breasts looking embarrassed)
Yes Neon Genesis is flawed in many ways but for me it actually has some of the best characterisation I have ever seen (even if you may get INCREDIBLY frustrated with the characters at times). So give it a whirl and see if you enjoy it. If you do make it to the final two episodes you will be confused so watch the film (where it is neever explained how it sits in relation to the final two episodes). You will still be confused but you can then try come up with your own explanation, which is surprisingly fun. The fanservice in so far as it exists is there to reveal how incredibly creepy that shit is.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
[/quote]Neon Genesis was just created to be therapy for Hedaki Anno. He was struggling with depression when he wrote that piece of shit series.

It's overrated to fuck.[/quote]

Just want to say it was the second anime series I picked up having no idea of it's significance and the controversy that surrounded, or the slavish devotion of some of the fans, or who Hideaki Anno is. And I fucking loved it. I suppose it's not to everyone's taste but to claim it's popularity is in some way fake isn't true.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
If you don't like anime stereotypes, you will HATE Evangelion. I know I did. Stick with Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Full Metal Alchemist (the other series in this comic, if you are unaware), and other stuff I'd call "anime for people who hate anime".
Hey I liked FMA and NGE. Maybe because I saw NGE before I saw much other anime so don't know the stereotypes.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Gendo Ikari, best dad ever.

Shinji Ikari, only person to complain that he gets to pilot a giant robot and live with MILFsato.
Oh boy, here we go again. Let's see, he also has had various tragedies that we are lucky to never happen as stated in the comic: abandonment, low self-confidence, and extreme pain and agony to the point of wanting to die.

that giant robot, it will literally torture you as you fight because of the pain transmission, everytime an angel blast or rips a chunk of flesh off, you feel that agonizing pain and since the actual damage is not occurring on your body, it tend to cause a mental drain

as for the women, Misato has her own problems and as of Eva 3.0 kind of hates Shinji for third impact. Asuka is extremely closed off and pushes Shinji away so hard that he feels even greater abandonment. Rei is pretty much a empty shell that can be replaced over and over and that continual cycle of having someone you are close to die and come back with no memory of your experience together would have an effect.

I'm honestly tired of people who say that Shinji should stop whining. The pain he goes through and the timeframe he experienced them would crack many people in real life.
Pretty sure he should just roll with the punches.

Apr 28, 2008
hudsonzero said:
did a eva DVD boxset fall on your dog or something because almost every comic has been making fun of it for the past few months.
also to many words in the second panel.
They make fun of it a lot because it brings in a lot of views which means a lot of money for them. Simple economics really.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
CriticKitten said:
RedmistSM said:
It's not that he "forgot" to turn it off. He lost control of his Geass at that moment. That's why he made the switch to the special lens to contain it, because he could no longer switch it on and off at will.

This is rather directly stated in the show itself, in multiple extended-length scenes no less. They make a pretty big deal about it. So I'm not sure how you missed it shy of just not paying attention.
Sorry, I was exaggerating because it was a silly plot turn for the season one finale. Why would he ever say that specific commando he said, at that time, and his powers suddenly get turned on constantly? It would be like if Light was jotting down the names of his family and friends on a small notepad to remember who to invite to a party and, and OH NO! His powers have suddenly evolved and every notepad is a Death Note to him now.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
But Al doesn't have like... brain chemistry anymore. And if Shinji isn't a case for really bad clinical depression I don't know who is.