Fun with naming your characters.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
In some games, as we all know, there exists the ability to give your character their own name, created by you. These are, as we also know, absolutely hilarious to abuse. So what's the funniest/most offensive name you have thought up for a character? Because I'm a huge ZP fan, I named two of the dwarves I created Terry and Gonad (bonus points if you can tell me which review that is) Have at it everyone!

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
When I played FF7, I named Barett Mr. T (for obvious reasons), Red XIII Scooby (again, for obvious reasons), and Cait Sith "The Load" (because he suuuuuuucks).

I almost named Vivi "Orko" while playing FFIX, but resisted the urge.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In general, I tend to not play around with naming my characters. Even Gary from Pokemon always stays Gary, rather than any of the more...colourful variants most people use.

And Terry and Gonad were from Alone in the Dark.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Calling your character "Muthafuka!" turns everyone into Samuel L. Jackson, very enjoyable.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I know it's super pathetic, but about half the time I name my character Carlie, after the (fan translation name of the) sprite priestess in Seiken Densetsu 3.

*shame*

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I've never really played around with any names, generally just trying to create a name that fits with the setting. However, when I replayed Dragon Age 2 I named Hawke "Suck my" at my roommate's urging. Fun times.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Personally, if a game gives names for their characters without imput, or has a default, i normally stick by them. if in the cases where no name is provided, i normally name the main character after myself.

In Pokemon's case i would just leave their default species names.

As far as i've gone, i think i might have called the Rival in Gold/Silver as Redhead.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
In Dragon Age: Origins, i named my beloved dong Thundercunt. Dialogue options have never been so funny!

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Due to an injoke among me and my brother's friends, I named my Skyrim character Bob Dole (along with appropriate modeling). I also named my Persona 4 character Dick McGee on a shoutout by a friend in the room, and one of my friends is playing through OoT as Dammit.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
in skyrim i named my Kahjit "Sir Meowington III" and my irish nord "Paty O'Furniture"

i always name my characters stupid names and make them the most horendious looking peopple possible when i can; in oblivion i had a character that had a nose so long it would extend outside of any helmet he would wear

the lack of an extensive customization features in skyrim made me sad. i miss my ugly people

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Alone in the Dark and Terry sniffs glue and gonad goes into the feedle position didn't even need to look it up because I'm a loser. I don't abuse my names though.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I never change the original name. Tried it a few times when I was young, but had to restart the game shortly afterwards since I couldn't bear it.
Named the nemesis in Pokemon Crystal "???" though, for shits and giggles.

Andrew_J_Drake

Oct 23, 2011
I named my 17th character in Dungeons of Dredmor DeadMeat... he is now three floors further than Alexander "The Conquerer" Drake made it...

He also defeated 2 monster zoos... and is looking for somewhere to put the 100 lutefish he is hauling around in his pack...

My point is HE JUST WONT DIE!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Once, when I was younger, I named a character after a girl I had a crush on... I was playing FFXIII, and Squall was renamed Deano (obvious reasons) and Rinoa was names after this girl... Well, was quite fun watching the characters get closer, as I myself got closer with this lass... Unfortunately things went badly in real life, and due to adolescant angst, and teenage emotions, I couldn't carry on that game! And I couldn't be bothered to restart... (I was pretty far through!) and so I haven't played it since... Been meaning to get it again, and play through now I have no memory of it, but haven't found the means...

Massive shame... From that event I now don't rename any character unless it falls into one of 2 catagories:
1. Its the main Character... Then it gets renamed Deano, (Deanne if Female...)
2. The original name is too complicated, or I cant say it when pronouncing it out loud... Then it gets nicknamed, or names after a similar character from another game!

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
In general, I tend to not play around with naming my characters. Even Gary from Pokemon always stays Gary, rather than any of the more...colourful variants most people use.

And Terry and Gonad were from Alone in the Dark.
You are correct sir! :)