Funny events in anti-woke world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I don't want to be out here judging a book by its cover and all that, but is anyone surprised that Dominic Raab is a bully?
There have been undercurrents in the media for quite a long time about him having anger problems. I think it's one of those things that was widely known around Westminster, but never got to the level (or evidence!) for it to be openly reported until recently.

Apparently there are quite a lot of things which are widely rumoured, but the press won't write up because they don't have enough to print it without risks.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I'm shocked he hasn't already had a Stroke* Heart Attack.

*We'd probably never notice if Trump had a Stroke considering how fucking incoherent he is on the regular.
Well, as they say, 70 is the new 60. And therefore 80 is the new 70. As long as they're middle-upper class, of course - it's not like the working classes are seeing those increases in life expectancy.

A man of Trump's SES should expected to live to his late 80s, even 90, but given his weight I don't fancy he'll have a great chance of beating those expectations.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, as they say, 70 is the new 60. And therefore 80 is the new 70. As long as they're middle-upper class, of course - it's not like the working classes are seeing those increases in life expectancy.

A man of Trump's SES should expected to live to his late 80s, even 90, but given his weight I don't fancy he'll have a great chance of beating those expectations.
Didn't he bully the white house doctor to say he would live forever or something like that?

Anyway, we all know that when dies, the rabid cult will just says its fake news and he's actually hiding from the Illuminati or something. After a couple of year some con artist will start saying that they totally talk to him on a regular basis and they should give him some money so he'll tell that what he tells him. Fast forward a few decades and some will claim they're the reincarnation of w/e.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Given his career and the positions he's held, he's more or less guaranteed to be.
He shouldn't be, though.

Professional organisations have professional standards, and that includes government. If we take "The Apprentice" (UK version), Sir Alan Sugar is at pains to point out no-one should actually speak to their staff like they speak to the candidates in the show. It's unprofessional behaviour.

The problem, I will guarantee, is that politicians get too used to the playground atmosphere of the debate chamber and other unhealthy environments, and fail to develop the correct professional attitudes. Then once set loose to cause havoc over a government department, they potentially lack accountability. This "Oh I didn't know I was being bullying" doesn't really hold water. Raab was informed about unhappiness with him, and seems to have moderated somewhat, but far too slowly. Even if he wasn't shouting at or abusing staff, there is plentiful evidence of low morale because of his overaggressive style, and that means he was doing something seriously wrong. For instance:

If a relatively minor issue was not solved, Tolley said Raab would “press repeatedly to identify the very junior official responsible” and order a more senior staff member to deliver a personal apology.

This is not constructive or conducive to a happy and fruitful workplace. Words like "overbearing", "self-important", "intimidating", "entitled" come to mind.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
One of the replies to that tweet is defending transpecies as a valid identity. Surprised being transracial wasn't in there too - though I'm also surprised that so many trans folks attack that idea, given that the heart of both is the belief that one does not actually belong to the social category one is assigned at birth and race is even more of an arbitrary social category one is simply assigned to than gender.
The only people who take the weirder furries seriously are also the people who thought schools were putting litter boxes in school bathrooms

The main problem is that transracial identities *are actually a thing*, just not in the way that, like, Rachel Dolezal or Oli North tried to be a different race. It refers to the complicated racial identities that people who're adopted into families of different ethnicities experience. You know, Black babies adopted into white families and such

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There have been undercurrents in the media for quite a long time about him having anger problems. I think it's one of those things that was widely known around Westminster, but never got to the level (or evidence!) for it to be openly reported until recently.
He's blaming 'activist civil servants' now. Everyone you don't like isn't an activist!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I was gonna say that at some point they'll realize that words are all made up and definition actually differ somewhat from human to human, but they probably think God invented word and they have perfect definition or something like that.

Reactions: Absent

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I was gonna say that at some point they'll realize that words are all made up and definition actually differ somewhat from human to human, but they probably think God invented word and they have perfect definition or something like that.
One of the funniest instances i remember involved meat companies trying to get the words "burger" and "sausage" disallowed from vegetarian products, on the basis that they're definitively associated with meat products.

...except of course that's bullshit, and vegetarian varieties (like the Glamorgan sausage) have existed for absolutely ages. Plus, the word "meat" itself originally didn't refer exclusively to animal flesh either, but was rather a broad word referring to food in general.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
He's blaming 'activist civil servants' now. Everyone you don't like isn't an activist!
Yes, that's what they do: they blame everything else. And as they demonise and demoralise the civil service, so talented people will leave or not join the civil service, and so they will end up with incompetent government departments. Do the Tories know anything except hate these days?

The other thing about Raab's resignation letter is how patently small-minded, self-involved and angry it is. It pretty much screams "This is what I'm like, the report is true".

Reactions: Baffle and BrawlMan