Country
United States of America

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Never mind, I already looked. So the singer is just another egotistical, asshole nobody loser not worth listening to. Got it.
Eh...not entirely accurate. Aldean isn't a nobody, he's a reasonably popular and prolific modern Country artist. And if we peel back the paint a bit, what we see here reads an awful lot like what amounts to...let's call it "culture shock".

Now to clarify, yes, I do think that the reaction to the song - especially against the backdrop of the music video - is relatable and that the fault for that falls on Aldean and his producers for what could charitably be considered dumb mistakes and lack of forethought regarding the content. With that being said, however, those familiar with the genre of music have a cultural context that make their fuck up understandable.

The Country genre tends to fall so heavily into certain themes that it becomes cliche, to the point that the artists themselves poke fun at it. Back in the 70s, for instance, David Allen Coe released You Never Even Call Me By My Name which memorably includes a spoken segment about how the song had fallen short of being the "perfect Country and Western song" because it didn't so much as mention a bunch of cliches...which spurred the creation of the final verse to shoehorn them in.

More to the point, the relevant cliche for this song is "small town justice". Country's all over the place on that. The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia, for instance, takes the form of a confession by the narrator that she'd killed her brother's cheating wife and a lament about the legal system in the town being such a sham that the authorities just assumed her brother's guilt, tried him in what amounted to a kangaroo court, and executed him for it before she even had a chance to come forward and confess. Conversely, Welcome to the Family takes the form of welcoming a new in-law by cheerfully informing him that if he ever makes his new wife unhappy...well...grandpa's the sheriff, judge, and jury, that their uncle's the undertaker and will happily dig a grave for him, their cousin is a psycho who would be happy to shoot him...etc. Basically...think that your in-laws are an overprotective Mafia and you probably aren't far off.

Another common undertone is implicit praise of the people/community taking the law into their own hands, with the undertone that you can't trust the law to do anything. Independence Day tells the story of an eight year old girl getting away from her violent alcoholic father (who was implied to have just killed her mother in a drunken fit) by killing him via arson, which the song treats as a necessary evil. Gunpowder and Lead tells a similar tale, singing about a young woman waiting by the door with a gun to ambush her boyfriend because he was a drunk that tended to beat her. The Coward of the County sings about a pacifist who finally hits the breaking point and beats the shit out of the three assholes who sexually assaulted his wife. And for a less dramatic example, Before He Cheats sings about a girl who absolutely destroys her now-ex boyfriend's car because he cheated on her.

Moreover, Country has a tendency to suggest that small town solidarity means that country folk will do what city folk would not, often to the tune of the Big City being morally weak and its inhabitants unwilling to stand up for itself (See The Fightin' Side of Me, or alternatively A Country Boy Can Survive). Generously it can be described as "if you're picking a fight here, you'll find we're more than obliging" but it frequently veers more towards "you try that on this side of the tracks, City Boy, and we ain't gonna even bother with a trial before putting you down" vibe. And if given an external conflict, that sentiment can be extended to "American" unity rather than small town solidarity. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue, written and released shortly after 9/11 that warns that anyone if anyone messes with the USA..."we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way!" Same sentiment, just an expanded scope.

In that respect, Aldean's song is neither unusual nor out of place. It's written to the tune of machismo grandstanding that is very common for the genre. However, it fucks up by being - at best - remarkably tone deaf in that it applies that "try that here and we'll kick your ass" machismo in opposition to protests against the police's rampant use of excessive force. "We'll beat your ass if you disrespect policemen for their use of excessive force" is not a good look, to put it extremely mildly (and a bit hypocritical considering how frequently Country music itself leans into the idea that "Police are Useless"). And the music video exacerbated that by setting its backdrop at the courthouse made famous by the Columbia Race Riot which, considering the racial element in that aforementioned excessive force, is just...yikes.

I can believe that this was a colossal fuck up, but that would only mean that Hanlon's Razor is in effect and the fuck up is explainable by stupidity rather than malice, not that it wasn't still a fuck up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh...not entirely accurate. Aldean isn't a nobody, he's a reasonably popular and prolific modern Country artist. And if we peel back the paint a bit, what we see here reads an awful lot like what amounts to...let's call it "culture shock".

Now to clarify, yes, I do think that the reaction to the song - especially against the backdrop of the music video - is relatable and that the fault for that falls on Aldean and his producers for what could charitably be considered dumb mistakes and lack of forethought regarding the content. With that being said, however, those familiar with the genre of music have a cultural context that make their fuck up understandable.

The Country genre tends to fall so heavily into certain themes that it becomes cliche, to the point that the artists themselves poke fun at it. Back in the 70s, for instance, David Allen Coe released You Never Even Call Me By My Name which memorably includes a spoken segment about how the song had fallen short of being the "perfect Country and Western song" because it didn't so much as mention a bunch of cliches...which spurred the creation of the final verse to shoehorn them in.

More to the point, the relevant cliche for this song is "small town justice". Country's all over the place on that. The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia, for instance, takes the form of a confession by the narrator that she'd killed her brother's cheating wife and a lament about the legal system in the town being such a sham that the authorities just assumed her brother's guilt, tried him in what amounted to a kangaroo court, and executed him for it before she even had a chance to come forward and confess. Conversely, Welcome to the Family takes the form of welcoming a new in-law by cheerfully informing him that if he ever makes his new wife unhappy...well...grandpa's the sheriff, judge, and jury, that their uncle's the undertaker and will happily dig a grave for him, their cousin is a psycho who would be happy to shoot him...etc. Basically...think that your in-laws are an overprotective Mafia and you probably aren't far off.

Another common undertone is implicit praise of the people/community taking the law into their own hands, with the undertone that you can't trust the law to do anything. Independence Day tells the story of an eight year old girl getting away from her violent alcoholic father (who was implied to have just killed her mother in a drunken fit) by killing him via arson, which the song treats as a necessary evil. Gunpowder and Lead tells a similar tale, singing about a young woman waiting by the door with a gun to ambush her boyfriend because he was a drunk that tended to beat her. The Coward of the County sings about a pacifist who finally hits the breaking point and beats the shit out of the three assholes who sexually assaulted his wife. And for a less dramatic example, Before He Cheats sings about a girl who absolutely destroys her now-ex boyfriend's car because he cheated on her.

Moreover, Country has a tendency to suggest that small town solidarity means that country folk will do what city folk would not, often to the tune of the Big City being morally weak and its inhabitants unwilling to stand up for itself (See The Fightin' Side of Me, or alternatively A Country Boy Can Survive). Generously it can be described as "if you're picking a fight here, you'll find we're more than obliging" but it frequently veers more towards "you try that on this side of the tracks, City Boy, and we ain't gonna even bother with a trial before putting you down" vibe. And if given an external conflict, that sentiment can be extended to "American" unity rather than small town solidarity. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue, written and released shortly after 9/11 that warns that anyone if anyone messes with the USA..."we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way!"

In that respect, Aldean's song is neither unusual, nor out of place. It's written to the tune of machismo grandstanding that is very common for the genre. However, it fucks up by being - at best - remarkably tone deaf in that it applies that "try that here and we'll kick your ass" machismo in opposition to protests against the police's rampant use of excessive force. "We'll beat your ass if you disrespect policemen for their use of excessive force" is not a good look, to put it extremely mildly (and a bit hypocritical considering how frequently Country music itself leans into the idea that "Police are Useless"). And the music video exacerbated that by setting its backdrop at the courthouse made famous by the Columbia Race Riot which, considering the racial element in that aforementioned excessive force, is just...yikes.
Which is why I despise most of those type of country songs. I know not all country songs are like that, but those of those type I'll flip off every single time.

After hearing all that: he's still a nobody to me. My dad likes country and I can already tell he doesn't even know the guy exists.

I can believe that this was a colossal fuck up, but that would only mean that Hanlon's Razor is in effect and the fuck up is explainable by stupidity rather than malice, not that it wasn't still a fuck up.
Yet people will still use malice or manipulate the situation to become malice, so it is still a big problem.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Which is why I despise most of those type of country songs. I know not all country songs are like that, but those of those type I'll flip off every single time.

After hearing all that: he's still a nobody to me. My dad likes country and I can already tell he doesn't even know the guy exists.

Yet people will still use malice or manipulate the situation to become malice, so it is still a big problem.
Granted. As I said, I'm not trying to excuse it, and I still characterize it as a fuck up. I just felt that the context was worth pointing out as a possible explanatory factor to how it happened.

Although, I would venture to guess that your dad probably would recognize at least a few of Aldean's songs even if he couldn't name the artist off the top of his head. Considering their performance on the charts, it would seem a bit strange if none of them even rang a bell.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
One wonders if you are more likely to get a good kicking by claiming to be the King of Ireland than the Queen of Canada.
Ah the way the Irish were you can't throw a stone without hitting someone descended from a person who at least claimed to be the true king at some point in time. As long as he's not a protestant he'll just get laughed at.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ah the way the Irish were you can't throw a stone without hitting someone descended from a person who at least claimed to be the true king at some point in time. As long as he's not a protestant he'll just get laughed at.
Huh, would have thought that'd be more of a sticky issue.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeah, its not just Republicans who have one-foot in the grave politicians:

Stumbling, mumbling old coot still holding on for a paycheck while her colleagues just tell her to vote yes and she'll get her pudding.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It will be a great day when conservatives realise that the woke thing that they are always worried about has been happening to them for centuries. Eg. Eugenics pervaded both sides of politics a hundred years ago, but there are still many people today who claim to be conservative but espouse eugenic ideas. I.e. they are using the attractive concept of smaller government to justify murder

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Amanda represent! Do you know of her undercover work beforehand? the kind that probably shouldn't be encouraged, for other people's safety's sake, but she kinda confidently jumped in to of her own accord while collecting a fair amount of unfiltered footage? Was a couple of years ago, and too risky to return to after she revealed herself, for obvious reasons. Either way she got many a tale to tell, lol. She'd share collected hidden camera video footage on certain streams during those periods while no-one knew her face, was really informative.

No funny.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Very disappointed there where no fisticuffs
Surprise twist! The exorcisms was actually for the priest, and he needed the 18yo to draw out the demon possessing his dick.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
While is healthier for society that nobody know of blatant grifter 'pearly things', those who already do might appreciate her recent live embarrassment from trusting piers morgan not to bring up her now-deleted "Jew song.". Rookie mistake indeed. Tis nutritional content.

And in trying to search for brief summary of the event, results also provided a hint of how well she's taking it. 🤌

Screenshot_20230728-182132.png