Funny events in anti-woke world

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reminds me that come June next year we got elections too. Not looking forward to that. On the bright side, we might get another shot at beating our own record for longest period without an elected government. We'd be the top 3.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So here comes the Republican endgame:

Flush decades of precedent down the toilet in an effort to make it that only the federal Attorney General can file lawsuits against gerrymandering, then get a stalwart Republican into the role in order to turn a blind eye as states redistrict minorities out of voting existence.
I'm going to point out that conservatives really only have one tradition

They pretend that their ideas are traditional so they can justify scrapping everyone else's ideas

You can even read it in the Bible, but also in history

Reactions: Kwak

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Reminds me that come June next year we got elections too. Not looking forward to that. On the bright side, we might get another shot at beating our own record for longest period without an elected government. We'd be the top 3.
Top three? Surely not, there's quite a lot more than three that have never had anything approximating democracy.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Top three? Surely not, there's quite a lot more than three that have never had anything approximating democracy.
More specifically, longest period a democracy took to form a (ostensibly) functioning government after elections. By that metric, we make up both 1 and 2, with 598 and 542 days respectively, iirc. We spent almost a third of the 2010s like that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Why can't we just send hordes of Americans to shoot them, and decrease pork prices?
Telling the kind of folks who'd be into doing that to fire away sounds like a poor idea

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, now that a facist party has become the biggest political party in the Netherlands, we are getting people (who voted for them) literally saying 'well, he didn't mean that' in response to Wilders' policy to close Islamic schools, ban the Quran, and cut funding to the main three public broadcasting channels. Mind you, this is a guy who built his entire political career, who is famous worldwide for saying muslims are the cause of all ill and are worse than the nazis, but no seriously he didn't actually mean that, really.

I really hate my country right now. And not in the comical 'ugh, I just hate everything', I am truly fucking revolted by my own countrymen for the first time in my life.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
So, now that a facist party has become the biggest political party in the Netherlands, we are getting people (who voted for them) literally saying 'well, he didn't mean that' in response to Wilders' policy to close Islamic schools, ban the Quran, and cut funding to the main three public broadcasting channels. Mind you, this is a guy who built his entire political career, who is famous worldwide for saying muslims are the cause of all ill and are worse than the nazis, but no seriously he didn't actually mean that, really.

I really hate my country right now. And not in the comical 'ugh, I just hate everything', I am truly fucking revolted by my own countrymen for the first time in my life.
Not sure if this helps at all, but; gedeelde smart is halve smart.

Here's to hoping that he'll be a ginormous fuck up and that people take notice of it, mainly because I wouldn't want to see this voting behaviour to be normalised.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

People saw the result of a so-called protest vote in the UK and thought 'Fuck yeah, it's gone so well for those guys."

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Here's to hoping that he'll be a ginormous fuck up and that people take notice of it, mainly because I wouldn't want to see this voting behaviour to be normalised.
Doesn't really matter - this has paved the way. And it was bound to happen eventually. I guess we've known for a while that millions of people in the Netherlands will vote for a racist asshole if they think he can quick-fix all of their economic troubles. Remember when Baudet was the big election winner a few years ago? Even before those released text messages showing truly how vile he was, everyone knew what he was really about and they STILL voted for that scum. Even when that controversy hit, we just had a bunch of his right-wing cronies leave his party and start their own, framing it as 'we're racist, but not THAT racist ;)'.

One of the things that can maybe fuck Wilders up is that he's probably not that in touch with modern conspiracy facism. I mean, he rose to popularity before new atheism and the anti-sjw movement rose to prominence, which has evoled into... well, just look at twitter. Wilders is still all about muslims being evil, while the rest of the western chauvanists have moved onto the LGBTQ+, anti-abortion, and anti-vax. And Wilders started attacking musilms because they were "intolerant" and couldn't fit in with the Netherlands "inclussive" culture. When Wilders got himself vaccinated and posted a picture of it a lot of his fans went fucking apeshit, so who knows, if he's ever pushed on this he might get some backlash from his own base.

Right now I'm running low on hope though. We have the VVD not wanting to form a coalition with Wilders - that's our current lifeline. The fucking VVD.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
People saw the result of a so-called protest vote in the UK and thought 'Fuck yeah, it's gone so well for those guys."
Yeah, but he didn't mean that. He meant all the economic growth and caring for the elderly, not the facist shit, honestly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
First time, huh? As an American, I can sympathize. It's a pandemic of old white men who can't handle a world which doesn't worship them for being old white men anymore.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Wilders is just Trump 2.0 and doing a play by play. While the rest of the "enlightened voters" are bitches voting for a biatch-in-a-boxstand until they start getting screwed over (worse). Even then, there will be plenty still blindly defending the fuck nut after turning everything into a living hell. Those that choose to follow him, support him, and make excuses for him are the real Nazis and Nazi sympathizers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That he may be, but in NL as many other places, we probably need to be concerned that people seem to think that the best alternative to the right is the far right.
Basically what I just said in the rest of my previous post.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
'We want easy answers and we'll step over the corpses of others to get them. Oh, those easy answers didn't solve anything... Let's follow those easy answers over there that require us to step over even more corpses - I'm sure this time they'll fix all our problems!'