Funny events in anti-woke world

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

They are rightfully against Israel dropping bombs in Gaza, but don't care about Russia dropping bombs against Ukraine curious...

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They are rightfully against Israel dropping bombs in Gaza, but don't care about Russia dropping bombs against Ukraine curious...
Which you can understand, when you consider that South Africa is ruled by those who rought against apartheid.

The ANC have no problems at all sympathising with the Palestinians, because what the Palestinians experience looks to them very much what they were subjected to for decades. As for Russia - Ukraine, from their perspective it's also relatively hard to tell who's the bad guy. Russia might be the aggressor, but Ukraine is backed by the allies of the old apartheid South African government.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Going back to the example again, assuming the greens would need to compromise away too much to their liking to form a coalition in both those scenarios they have a greater bargaining power to try to form a different coalition if they had 10 % than if they have 5 % of the votes. So percentages matter, representation matters, being able to have your opinion represented matters.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what we are arguing about?
Simple. More inportant than whether the greens got 5 or ten percent would be, if there is another say 11% party under rest that could give a better offer to the centrists and left or not.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Which you can understand, when you consider that South Africa is ruled by those who rought against apartheid.

The ANC have no problems at all sympathising with the Palestinians, because what the Palestinians experience looks to them very much what they were subjected to for decades. As for Russia - Ukraine, from their perspective it's also relatively hard to tell who's the bad guy. Russia might be the aggressor, but Ukraine is backed by the allies of the old apartheid South African government.
allies of the old apartheid South African government

What do you mean by Reagan/the Republican party, France just sells weapons to anyone, and I remember there being an embargo against South Africa when it was ruled by apartheid.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016

I don't give them credit for that. If Russia gets sympathies for the SU actions against Apartheit, so should the Ukraine. And the Baltics. And Poland. And even half of Germany.
Most nations that spoke against Apartheit then are now positioned against Russia.

Reactions: Gergar12

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Simple. More inportant than whether the greens got 5 or ten percent would be, if there is another say 11% party under rest that could give a better offer to the centrists and left or not.
Oh, your objection was just that "as long as the resulting coalition gets at least 50 % they are settled"? Because I have no objection to that.

Though that 11 % party would still require something to form a coalition, which requires compromises, and the compromises that are to their favor would be dependent on their percentage, so the percentage point matter.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'd comment, but there's no real need, it speaks for itself

Are these psyops in the room with us right now?

Something, something, leopards eating face, something.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
allies of the old apartheid South African government
I don't give them credit for that. If Russia gets sympathies for the SU actions against Apartheit, so should the Ukraine. And the Baltics. And Poland. And even half of Germany.
Most nations that spoke against Apartheit then are now positioned against Russia.
They were mostly very late on that score, though, weren't they? I mean, it took until 1986 before the USA decided maybe it might do something about it. Have we forgotten that the USA, UK and others officially declared Nelson Mandela a terrorist? Back in the early-mid 80s, Conservative MPs would openly opine that South Africa should execute him.

The wider West may well have played a decisive role in eventually helping destroy apartheid, but it also accepted and even facilitated it for far longer. In much the same way, I don't think Britain deciding to force an end to the transatlantic slave trade entirely exculpates it from the huge period it made a fortune off it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
They were mostly very late on that score, though, weren't they? I mean, it took until 1986 before the USA decided maybe it might do something about it. Have we forgotten that the USA, UK and others officially declared Nelson Mandela a terrorist? Back in the early-mid 80s, Conservative MPs would openly opine that South Africa should execute him.

The wider West may well have played a decisive role in eventually helping destroy apartheid, but it also accepted and even facilitated it for far longer. In much the same way, I don't think Britain deciding to force an end to the transatlantic slave trade entirely exculpates it from the huge period it made a fortune off it.
So 100k Ukrainians should die because of what some western conservatives stated in the 1980s.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
But i listed Eastern block countries. Most countries that were Eastern block countries during the early mid eighties are now opposed to Russia in the current conflict. As are pretty much all successor states of the Soviet Union besides Russia. If South Africa really wants to act based on what happened during the aapartheid regime, it should not stab all its other former supporters in the back to show only Russia (and Serbia i guess) gratitude.

Reactions: Gergar12

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
But i listed Eastern block countries. Most countries that were Eastern block countries during the early mid eighties are now opposed to Russia in the current conflict. As are pretty much all successor states of the Soviet Union besides Russia. If South Africa really wants to act based on what happened during the aapartheid regime, it should not stab all its other former supporters in the back to show only Russia (and Serbia i guess) gratitude.
Yes, but most of the world sees the main backer of Ukraine being the USA, and that's the one that will therefore have the most influence on their opinion and who they think is the leader. Sure, that's tough for Poland et al., but it's the way it goes.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
I'd comment, but there's no real need, it speaks for itself

Are these psyops in the room with us right now?

Something, something, leopards eating face, something.
No amount of military spending inflation is gonna save them from the swifties. They've no idea how to cope with or mask existential dread at all yet silly boys lol.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What? It is. Its explicitly about institutional racism-- and how racism, homophobia and sexism amongst Metropolitan police officers damage their investigations and trust. I don't understand why you apparently think that's irrelevant to a conversation about far-right presence in urban police (given the topical overlap). Or why you apparently think that means it's in the past.

Right, OK. So apply what I said to this situation.

Say 25% of progressives switch their votes from the Dems to a third party, voting for the best candidate for them. The rest don't, and nor do Republican voters. The result is that those 25% of progressives get a government that reflects them even worse than if they had just voted for the Dems.
A lot of times now when people complain about institutional/systemic racism, it usually ends up being that there's very little current to no racism now. Are the police some arm of the right-wing just arresting/harassing the left?

I said if everyone just voted for the best candidate, you wouldn't get any dems/repubs getting voted in. The fact that people are fearful means they aren't using basic common sense. We've had both parties winning the presidential election (and house/senate) and the country doesn't fall apart. I'm not worried about either Trump or Biden winning for example, both already won once and nothing horrible happened.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America