Funny events in anti-woke world

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

(ties to white supremacists)

(ties to polish fascists)

(male supremacy agenda, attacks on women)

Those... umm, are different links, is very long page cannot be arsed copy pasting.

Analysis Exposes Trumpian Project 2025 as 'Far-Right Playbook for American Authoritarianism'

"Our plea to political leaders and to the media is to accurately describe Project 2025 as a dangerous and unconstitutional attempt to move us towards an authoritarianism guided by Christian nationalism."

As former Republican U.S. President Donald Trump campaigns with openly fascist rhetoric, a research and advocacy group on Monday published an exposé of the Heritage Foundation-led 2025 Presidential Transition Project.

Project 2025, as it is also known, builds on Heritage's latest Mandate for Leadership, a series which since the Reagan administration has served as the right-wing think tank's to-do list for the next Republican president.

The Global Project Against Hate and Extremism (GPAHE) put out a detailed analysis of Project 2025, which the group described as a "far-right playbook for American authoritarianism" and "a threat to a multiracial, diverse democracy."

"Project 2025 is an authoritarian roadmap to dismantling a thriving, inclusive democracy for all."

Across 13 sections, the GPAHE report introduces the project, explains the role of Christian nationalism, and details efforts to gut the civil service, reverse progress on racial equality, eviscerate LGBTQ+ rights, restrict reproductive freedom, impose hardline immigration rules, roll back climate action, end "woke" military policies, overhaul public education, and curb human rights.

The analysis also features a full list of organizational supporters and profiles of key backers, including the Family Research Council, Heartland Institute, Moms for Liberty, and Turning Point USA.

"The path to authoritarianism usually first involves democratic backsliding, propelled by political figures and parties with authoritarian instincts who employ specific tactics," the report states. "These factors are evident in Project 2025, which explicitly advocates politicizing independent institutions by replacing the federal bureaucracy with conservative activists and removing independence for many agencies."

"The entire project is devoted to aggrandizing executive power by centralizing authority in the presidency, and a key aspect of democratic backsliding is viewing opposition elements as attempting to destroy the 'real' community, an essential aspect to quashing dissent," the document continues. "Project 2025 paints progressives and liberals as outside acceptable politics, and not just ideological opponents, but inherently anti-American and 'replacing American values.' Targeting vulnerable communities is a core tenet of Project 2025."

"Project 2025 is very clearly on a path to Christian nationalism as well as authoritarianism. It rejects the constitutional separation of church and state, rather privileging religious beliefs over civil laws. Religious freedom is referenced throughout the plan and is seen to trump all other civil rights which should be subsumed to an individual's religious rights," the report adds. "The message that America must remain Christian, that Christianity should enjoy a privileged place in society, and that the government must take steps to ensure this is clear in every section of the plan, as is the idea that American identity cannot be separated from Christianity."

The document also stresses the role of Trump in degrading U.S. democracy and promoting the policies that the project aims to advance. Trump is facing four criminal cases—two of which relate to his efforts to flip the 2020 election—and lawsuits arguing that he is constitutionally disqualified from holding office again after inciting the January 6, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Still, he is the GOP front-runner.

During a Saturday campaign rally, Trump pledged to "root out the communist, Marxist, fascist, and the radical left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country," claiming that "the threat from outside forces is far less sinister, dangerous, and grave than the threat from within." The comments fueled demands for more serious media coverage of his fascist threats.

Even before Trump's latest comments, GPAHE co-founder Heidi Beirich argued to Salon last week that given his chances of winning the White House next year, "the public needs to know about policy plans, such as the program being designed for the next conservative president by the Heritage Foundation, called Project 2025."

Beirich said in a statement Monday that the project "does not reflect the values of the American people, and our plea to political leaders and to the media is to accurately describe Project 2025 as a dangerous and unconstitutional attempt to move us towards an authoritarianism guided by Christian nationalism."

GPAHE co-founder Wendy Via—who, like Beirich, is an alumna of the Southern Poverty Law Center—similalry said that "voters, political figures, and the media must be on alert that Project 2025 is an authoritarian roadmap to dismantling a thriving, inclusive democracy for all."

The GPAHE report was released as Axiosreported Monday that Trump's inner circle plans to purge from government "anyone viewed as hostile to the hard-edged, authoritarian-sounding plans he calls 'Agenda47'" and his allies "are spending tens of millions of dollars to install a pre-vetted, pro-Trump army of up to 54,000 loyalists" in "legal, judicial, defense, regulatory, and domestic policy jobs."

"The government-in-waiting is being orchestrated by the Heritage Foundation's well-funded Project 2025, which already has published a 920-page policy book from 400+ contributors," the outlet explained. "Heritage president Kevin Roberts tells us his apparatus is 'orders of magnitude' bigger than anything ever assembled for a party out of power."

Trump's 2024 campaign claimed Monday that his Agenda47 "is the only official comprehensive and detailed look at what President Trump will do when he returns to the White House," and "while the campaign is appreciative of any effort to provide suggestions about a second term, the campaign is not collaborating with them."

the "joking but serious" trait isn't even new, clever or even at times a consciously deployed behaviour. bout a decade ago I knew of more than 3 different guys who'd made it their personality, one with a gipsy girlfriend I'd briefly lived with betwix bouts of homelessness, who weren't particularly intelligent in any generous interpretation of the word, am hesitate to estimate 40% of the time they didn't seem aware they were just kinda peppering a laugh or two around actual gripes they were serious about, though the other 60% not so pleasant, not so friendly towards women neither (wonder if connection there). Either way I assumed at the time it was learnt behaviour from whatever environment they been raised in, so associated it as another tiring dumb guy thing from then on. this wave of gop assholes are sounding the same old shit, now with far too much money thrown on a far too broken capitalist culture willing to take their recycled farts seriously as long as the cash is good.

Louis CK, ah remember his jokes? Funny guy. Hope they weren't true neither.🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

00:00 Banger intro
01:11 The Manosphere is big business.
08:13 We still don't understand the manosphere.
19:54 What kind of man are you?
40:09 Incels make the world go round.
01:02:33 The other side of the game.
01:26:17 So what can be done?

References 1- Mapping manosphere- Han, X., & Yin, C. (2023). Mapping the manosphere. Categorization of reactionary masculinity discourses in digital environment. Feminist media studies, 23(5), 1923-1940. 2- Networked misogyny - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/epdf/... http://www.michaelmessner.org/wp-cont... 3- Leaving the manosphere- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/epdf/... 4- Liu, A. (2021). MRAsians: A Convergence between Asian American Hypermasculine Ethnonationalism and the Manosphere. Journal of Asian American Studies 24(1), 93-112. https://doi.org/10.1353/jaas.2021.0012. https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/tw... 5- AIN paper - https://datasociety.net/wp-content/up... 6- Levels of wellbeing for Incels - https://labs.la.utexas.edu/buss/files... 7- You tube radicalization study - https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073... 8- Online radicalization argument - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/... 9- Car killer story - https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news... 10- (radicalization is overblown but you tube is to blame) https://www.science.org/doi/pdf/10.11... 11-https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1...

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Louis CK, ah remember his jokes? Funny guy. Hope they weren't true neither.🤞🤞🤞
Yeah. Thinking on R. Kelly and Russell Brand given additional information that came to light, I fear that quite a few such people are happily telling us to our faces what they're getting up to.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
They kinda lost the right to do that after doing a coup. You can't on one hand try to overthrow democracy and on the other hand mock people for thinking you want to overthrow democracy.
You don't like it because you're being mocked.
For instance, some suspect that there is a trend of using humour to normalise what would otherwise be deemed unacceptable (1, 2).
I would strongly argue the opposite is true. Humor is how people process the ridiculous, by denying the humor in ridiculous things, people are trying to make others seriously consider them. Or perhaps not trying to do so, but effectively reaching that consequence regardless.
And what if it's not a joke?
The incredibly marginal influence that person has relies on it being a joke. If his actually politics is the end of American Democracy, he becomes exceptionally more irrelevant than he already is.
And in general demagogues who model themselves after the likes or Orban, Erdogan or even worse Putin have no room to ''joke'' about wanting to abolish democracy.
I don't know. I think context counts for a lot here. If your political opponents are hyperventilating about how your very existence is a threat to democracy because you want things like fewer abortions, there's not really any response more rational and justified than laughing at them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I think context counts for a lot here. If your political opponents are hyperventilating about how your very existence is a threat to democracy because you want things like fewer abortions [...]
Hmm, I think its more to do with the effort to overturn a democratic election result by force, rather than the abortions.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah. Thinking on R. Kelly and Russell Brand given additional information that came to light, I fear that quite a few such people are happily telling us to our faces what they're getting up to.
I think O.J. made some jokes too after the fact.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
You don't like it because you're being mocked.
Not particularly. I know I'm fully in the right so it hardly stings. But the fact remains one cannot do a coup and then mock people for wanting to overthrow democracy. Same with that whole ''Trump derangement syndrome meme'' which was said even as everything Trump's critics warned about was coming to pass.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Hmm, I think its more to do with the effort to overturn a democratic election result by force, rather than the abortions.
The Washington Post changed their tagline to "Democracy Dies in Darkness" in protest of Trump in 2017. The events of 2021 are not the starting point. There are years, if not decades, of hysteria that has taken place.
Not particularly. I know I'm fully in the right so it hardly stings.
You're wrong about almost everything, and it's fun to laugh at your self-assurance.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I would strongly argue the opposite is true.
Sure, people do use humour in response to adversity or disbelief, but that is not exclusive to the other. Which will apply will be situational, and not always clear at the point of joke / not joke delivery. That uncertainty is one of the major reasons it is used to push the unacceptable.

(Just in case it's not clear from #13,771, I would lean to it being an attempt at a genuine joke. If not necessarily in good taste given the events of Jan 6th and surrounds.)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Washington Post changed their tagline to "Democracy Dies in Darkness" in protest of Trump in 2017. The events of 2021 are not the starting point. There are years, if not decades, of hysteria that has taken place.
OK. But now, when people refer to the Republicans as coddling anti-democratic sentiments, it's usually because of that time they tried to overturn a democratic election result by force.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
OK. But now, when people refer to the Republicans as coddling anti-democratic sentiments, it's usually because of that time they tried to overturn a democratic election result by force.
I disagree. I don't think anyone says that about Republicans because of that event. I think people who express those sentiments do so entirely because they don't like Republicans, and would do so with or without any events to properly justify the claims. You can use January 6th to rationalize criticism of the American right, but I don't think you can honestly say any of your criticisms would be meaningfully changed if that event had not occurred.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You mean instead of refusing to accept it then trying to go a years long court case about a conspiracy round a golden shower tape and secret Russian control which likely helped contribute to an attempted mass shooting at a congressional baseball game?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree. I don't think anyone says that about Republicans because of that event. I think people who express those sentiments do so entirely because they don't like Republicans, and would do so with or without any events to properly justify the claims. You can use January 6th to rationalize criticism of the American right, but I don't think you can honestly say any of your criticisms would be meaningfully changed if that event had not occurred.
You have a very poor track record of understanding what your opponents actually believe, though, so I'm gonna take that with a pinch of salt.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You mean instead of refusing to accept it then trying to go a years long court case about a conspiracy round a golden shower tape and secret Russian control which likely helped contribute to an attempted mass shooting at a congressional baseball game?
Sort of like that, but real.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
You're wrong about almost everything, and it's fun to laugh at your self-assurance.
Funny argument from the shill. Besides its hard to say people are ''wrong'' about their concerns for democracy if the side that concerns them literally storms the capital building to prevent the legitimate government from taking office.

You can use January 6th to rationalize criticism of the American right, but I don't think you can honestly say any of your criticisms would be meaningfully changed if that event had not occurred.
Well you're probably not wrong there. January 6 was the moment the American right went mask off. But its not like the American right had been particularly good at masking their intentions before that. And think of it this way. The Republican, or at least Trump mirror themselves after the other forces who are at best ''dictator curious''. The likes of Erdogan, of Orban, and of Putin. If every one of those politicians makes step to curtail democracy then why should the Republicans alone be any different when they follow their example?

Its also worth noting that January six wasn't as much of an outlier of their behavior as much as a culmination of all the acts that came previously.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sure, people do use humour in response to adversity or disbelief, but that is not exclusive to the other. Which will apply will be situational, and not always clear at the point of joke / not joke delivery. That uncertainty is one of the major reasons it is used to push the unacceptable.

(Just in case it's not clear from #13,771, I would lean to it being an attempt at a genuine joke. If not necessarily in good taste given the events of Jan 6th and surrounds.)
Yup, I understand your position on this particular joke. I also recognize that the people claiming the jokes are actually an act used to subtly seduce people into extremism are also the butt of the jokes in the first place, and have a very obvious motive in denying that there might be something funny there.
You have a very poor track record of understanding what your opponents actually believe, though, so I'm gonna take that with a pinch of salt.
Do I? Let's check the record here.
Well you're probably not wrong there.
Hey look, confirmation of my understanding. Thanks, Hades!