Funny events in anti-woke world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The framing was a little incendiary with an obvious slant, but they got the details correct. At least, primary local news sources in the area aren't putting anything out that contradicts any of that. But go ahead and complain about the semantics of referring to an english teacher as a librarian, that's the biggest issue here.
CNN says she was not fired but quit, and was not pursuing further employment as a teacher. Describing that as "out a job" isnt't simple slant.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
CNN says she was not fired but quit, and was not pursuing further employment as a teacher. Describing that as "out a job" isnt't simple slant.
Sterilization threats. Death threats. Further threats of reprisal from state republican officials. But sure, the sources wording not mentioning someone resigned and a reader's possible inferring it as a firing... wait a minute.

"After meeting with administrators to discuss her suspension, Boismier concluded that she wouldn’t be able to return to her job if she wasn’t willing to refrain from doing things like helping her students get library cards in the future. She resigned after nine years on the job."

So, the source actually mentioned the teacher resigned. Well, nevermind. You have hit upon the REAL crime here, that's for sure.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Just another Wednesday.

A Pennsylvania Trump supporter has been arrested after he barged into a local Dairy Queen and informed patrons he was working to restore Trump as "president king" while also vowing to "kill Democrats."

TribLive reports that 61-year-old Jan Stawovy of Hempfield, Pennsylvania this week walked into a local Dairy Queen carrying a loaded handgun and started raving about his "undercover" work to "to restore Trump to President King of the United States."

Police say that he also said he would "kill Democrats and liberals," while also claiming that he needed to be in possession of guns to protect himself from drug traffickers.

Local police officers were alerted to Stawovy's presence after a tipster called 911 and told them they'd just seen a man wearing a rainbow clown wig and a yellow safety vest walking into the Dairy Queen with a gun.

Police Chief T.J. Klobucar told TribLive that his officers "were there within seconds to take control before anything happened."

After taking Stawovy into custody, police subsequently found two more loaded guns in his vehicle.

He has since been charged with carrying firearms without a license, disorderly conduct, and making terroristic threats.

A Northeastern University staff member was injured Tuesday when a package he was opening detonated on the Boston campus, officials said,

"The staff member sustained minor injuries and is being treated," Shannon Nargi, a spokesperson for Northeastern University, told CNN in an email. The package was delivered to Holmes Hall, Nargi said.

The staffer, a 45-year-old man, suffered hand injuries, Boston Police Superintendent Felipe Colon said during a news conference Tuesday night.

Investigators haven't said how the package arrived at the campus and stressed the investigation is ongoing.

During the news conference, officials said they were investigating a motive.

Several federal law enforcement sources told CNN the package contained a rambling note that criticized Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and the relationship between academic institutions and the developers of virtual reality. CNN has reached out to Facebook for comment.

The note was in a hard plastic container and detonated when the victim opened the latches and lifted the lid, the sources said.

The package was delivered to the university's virtual reality center and was opened by someone who works in the center, the sources said.

While the employee who opened the package was not seriously hurt, the explosion caused lacerations to his hands and other injuries, the sources added.

Police were called to the scene around 7:18 p.m., Colon said. A Northeastern University police officer responded within a minute of the initial call, said Michael Davis, chief of the university police department.

"It's very important to note, our campus is secure," Davis said.

Boston Police's bomb squad and Boston Emergency Services were at the scene investigating, and the building was evacuated, Nargi said.

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu praised law enforcement's response to the incident.

"We want to make sure to emphasize that this is of the utmost priority, the safety and well-being of all our young people here," Wu said during the news conference.

The FBI Boston Division coordinated with the Boston Police Department, spokesperson Kristen Setera told CNN.

FBI Boston offered the full resources of the Joint Terrorism Task Force, its evidence response team and special agent bomb technicians to assist in the investigation, according to Jason Cromartie, assistant special agent in charge.

Just before 10 p.m., university police tweeted that the "scene at Homes Hall is currently contained."

Holmes Hall is the hub of the school's "Writing Center activities," according to Northeastern's website. University police tweeted that emergency services were responding to an incident there and asked people to avoid the area.

"We will update members of the Northeastern community when more information is available," Nargi said.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sterilization threats. Death threats. Further threats of reprisal from state republican officials. But sure, the sources wording not mentioning someone resigned and a reader's possible inferring it as a firing... wait a minute.

"After meeting with administrators to discuss her suspension, Boismier concluded that she wouldn’t be able to return to her job if she wasn’t willing to refrain from doing things like helping her students get library cards in the future. She resigned after nine years on the job."

So, the source actually mentioned the teacher resigned. Well, nevermind. You have hit upon the REAL crime here, that's for sure.
You know as well as I do that lying in the top of a story and mentioning the truth at the bottom is exactly as bad as not including the truth at all. Burying the lead isn't moral reporting standards. But "Teacher Resigns Because the School Doesn't Want to Endorse Left-Wing Activism" isn't quite the same headline.

Also, the source they have about all the threats she's received is The Daily Beast, just taking her word for it. The only "threat" they were willing to post verbatim is:
1663153700444.png
I'm sure you can tell what's wrong with this picture, but in case you can't, that's not actually a threat. That's a left winger being facetious.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
You know as well as I do that lying in the top of a story and mentioning the truth at the bottom is exactly as bad as not including the truth at all. Burying the lead isn't moral reporting standards. But "Teacher Resigns Because the School Doesn't Want to Endorse Left-Wing Activism" isn't quite the same headline.

Also, the source they have about all the threats she's received is The Daily Beast, just taking her word for it. The only "threat" they were willing to post verbatim is:
View attachment 7004
I'm sure you can tell what's wrong with this picture, but in case you can't, that's not actually a threat. That's a left winger being facetious.
Well, better than reprinting actual hate speech I suppose. And minus the second 2 sentences, it is representative the kind of response to LGBT support I've seen online. And as far as burying the lead, I've stopped having much sympathy for joe average refusing to read more than a headline or a single paragraph. Again, just failing to see this as the biggest real issue here.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Helping students use the library is left-wing activism?
When the point is to take an end run around the school system not carrying certain books for reasons that ultimately amount to conservative parents not being terribly OK with kids reading graphic novels that contain LGBTQ sex scenes (or likely any other sex scenes) by pointing them to a library in another state that will provide them, maybe? I mean, that's the closest it gets.

I'm still not at all sure how that would violate HB 1775, though. That her potentially violating HB 1775 is a thing that was mentioned in in the article is what makes me curious if there's some other conduct that's being ignored or minimized to make it seem like it's all about the poster because that's the best look for her.

To be clear, this is HB 1775:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
When the point is to take an end run around the school system not carrying certain books for reasons that ultimately amount to conservative parents not being terribly OK with kids reading graphic novels that contain LGBTQ sex scenes (or likely any other sex scenes) by pointing them to a library in another state that will provide them, maybe? I mean, that's the closest it gets.
Why are you inventing potential scenarios in justification for this? Where has any information from any source been provided that this was an attempt at an "end run" about "LGBTQ sex scenes"?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I'm still not at all sure how that would violate HB 1775, though. That her potentially violating HB 1775 is a thing that was mentioned in in the article is what makes me curious if there's some other conduct that's being ignored or minimized to make it seem like it's all about the poster because that's the best look for her.

To be clear, this is HB 1775:
Why would violating an actual law being important?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently MyPillow Wierdo Mike Liddell had a hell of a drug problem back in the day.

He knows the battle well. Lindell abused heavy drugs much of his life, starting with cocaine in 1982. He switched to crack cocaine in the late 1990s.

By spring 2008, his drug use had gotten so bad that his three crack dealers got together and did something that defies logic: they attempted an intervention.

“They were three of the biggest dealers in the cities,” recalled Lindell, who at the time was living in a bad part of Minneapolis. “They said I had been awake for 19 days straight. They refused to sell to me again. One of them tried babysitting me until I fell asleep.”
Though honestly I'm not convinced he's off the drugs. He acts like he's still totally cranked.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Why are you inventing potential scenarios in justification for this? Where has any information from any source been provided that this was an attempt at an "end run" about "LGBTQ sex scenes"?
The number one book being removed from schools is Gender Queer (if you follow the link the teacher was distributing, they link the ALAs top ten list of challenged books with this one at the top.) It has illustrations of a couple using a strap-on to "have your cock in my mouth". Number two is Lawn Boy, which describes 10 year olds giving blow jobs. Number 3 is All Boys Aren't Blue, which has highly explicit descriptions of gay blow jobs.

You might have noticed a pattern here.
Helping students use the library is left-wing activism?

"Me commenting on the climate of censorship and the chilling implications of a rejection of free speech and free association -- me commenting on that is absolutely a political choice. I stand by that," she told CNN, adding that she believes classrooms are political spaces.
"I want to be clear, too; there's a difference between political and partisan," she said. "So I take umbrage and issue with assertions that educators should not bring their politics into the classroom."
She added that the new law is designed as a trap that makes it impossible for teachers to do their jobs.
"It's intentionally designed to stifle the conversations that we need to be having in the classroom, around systemic inequality, around privilege," she said. "It's my desire and the top objective that I have as an educator, to make my classroom as inclusive as possible."
Boismier said she doesn't think she will apply to work at a different school district because there isn't a school in the state that would work with her fundamental beliefs.

In her own words, she doesn't think she can work for any school district because they would not work with her fundamental belief that classrooms are political spaces.
Well, better than reprinting actual hate speech I suppose. And minus the second 2 sentences, it is representative the kind of response to LGBT support I've seen online.
"It's a lie, but it's a lie that illustrates a deeper truth." Sure, go for it. Journalism is dead.
It didn't. There were complaints, they looked into it, told her to come back to work, and she quit.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
It was expressly an end run around certain books being kept from school libraries in that district. That's literally the reason she put up a poster telling kids how to get a library card in another state from a site that draws attention to what books are commonly barred from school library shelves.

The whole incident started with a Karen of a mom named Laney Dicksion making a complaint. Her kid hadn't scanned the QR code, but she did and saw a reading event for the #1 book on the site's banned book list, "Gender Queer." Mom's reaction to "Gender Queer" in particular is what caused her complaint, and that complaint is what set all of it in motion. So yes, a teacher trying an end run around a school district banning books upset a mom over "queer" sex scenes in one such book displayed prominently on the site.

"Gender Queer" is a graphic novel about an AFAB person struggling with their gender identity, and it contains sex scenes, which I described as "LGBTQ" because without context I am unsure how either person in the scene identifies at that point in the book - the one pointed out in some articles involves our AFAB protagonist wearing a strapon to have sex with their AFAB partner. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that's not a straight sex scene, but without knowing what they identify as I'm unsure if calling it a lesbian sex scene is accurate, or if I should merely dub it "queer" and move on.

Here's the mom in question that set it all in motion:

Why would violating an actual law being important?
Because at least some of the people involved at the district have suggested she may have violated HB 1775, but I cannot see how she might have done so given the conduct described is the extent of it?