Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't care about labels, anyone complaining about any media can just not watch it.
Yeah, no thank you. Anyone can complain about media. That's called Free Speech

EDIT: I might just add that this Free Speech doesn't include death threats or threats of violence. Because we apparently have to say this now otherwise, I'm going to get criticised for encouraging people to stabbing a writer

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hence, the continue part.
Sometimes it gets good after a rough patch. Lord knows I wouldn't've stuck around Stargate SG-1 if I bounced at the first bad episode. (Which was arguably the pilot, or at least the Mongol episode. Not even Shang Tsung could save that one) Or how Rogue One is a bad movie until the first X-wing shows up on screen, then it turns into a fun ride

Or sometimes it stays bad, so you stick around to figure out *why* it's bad, because bad media is better at revealing thought processes than good media is. Lots of lessons to be learned. You get to see cracks that good movies are able to hide. Like, I unironically like talking about Rise of Skywalker, one of the objectively worst pieces of media to ever exist. It's bad on every level and it's fascinating that it made it to theaters in that state

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What lengths are those?
Demanding it be removed and wanting others to not be able to experience it.

EDIT: I might just add that this Free Speech doesn't include death threats or threats of violence. Because we apparently have to say this now otherwise, I'm going to get criticised for encouraging people to stabbing a writer
Not when it limits the free speech of others.

Sometimes it gets good after a rough patch. Lord knows I wouldn't've stuck around Stargate SG-1 if I bounced at the first bad episode. (Which was arguably the pilot, or at least the Mongol episode. Not even Shang Tsung could save that one) Or how Rogue One is a bad movie until the first X-wing shows up on screen, then it turns into a fun ride

Or sometimes it stays bad, so you stick around to figure out *why* it's bad, because bad media is better at revealing thought processes than good media is. Lots of lessons to be learned. You get to see cracks that good movies are able to hide. Like, I unironically like talking about Rise of Skywalker, one of the objectively worst pieces of media to ever exist. It's bad on every level and it's fascinating that it made it to theaters in that state
All Star Wars is objectively the worst pieces of media to ever exist... (I really can't stand Star Wars, even the "good" ones). Batman v Superman is another one where at every single point in making that movie the wrong choice was taken and it's unfathomable how a movie can end up in that state. But I would never say anything is so bad others shouldn't see it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
All Star Wars is objectively the worst pieces of media to ever exist... (I really can't stand Star Wars, even the "good" ones). Batman v Superman is another one where at every single point in making that movie the wrong choice was taken and it's unfathomable how a movie can end up in that state. But I would never say anything is so bad others shouldn't see it.
Careful, that sounds like complaining...
I don't care about labels, anyone complaining about any media can just not watch it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Demanding it be removed and wanting others to not be able to experience it.
And how many people have you come across that honestly did that? If we are talking about the "woke" crowd for this is the "woke" thread, the vast majority of what you're seeing is people hating on it or calling out issues they have with certain depictions or lack of inclusion. At worst you'll have a pointless petition, or a twitter mob ganging up on one person, which is a far cry from legislature that actually bans books and movies from circulation.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Careful, that sounds like complaining...
I haven't watched anything Star Wars related that weren't the original trilogy.

And how many people have you come across that honestly did that? If we are talking about the "woke" crowd for this is the "woke" thread, the vast majority of what you're seeing is people hating on it or calling out issues they have with certain depictions or lack of inclusion. At worst you'll have a pointless petition, or a twitter mob ganging up on one person, which is a far cry from legislature that actually bans books and movies from circulation.
Uhh... Did you not see the Netflix protest against Dave Chappelle?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It's interesting and revealling that you said "protests against Dave Chappelle" and not "protests against Dave Chappelle's Netflix special".

Think on that one for a moment.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's interesting and revealling that you said "protests against Dave Chappelle" and not "protests against Dave Chappelle's Netflix special".

Think on that one for a moment.
Seriously...

Can you actually talk about actual issues instead nitpicking the exact words of someone's statement?

Yet you complained about it.

Why didn't you keep your trap shut, as per your own advice?
I never said you can't complain about it. I said that anyone complaining can just not watch it, not that you can't complain. That, of course, is a lead-in to those wanting things removed and denying others ability to experience media when they can just not watch it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
First of all, that wasn't Netflix that was some Netflix employees. Netflix itself is totally fine catering to both transphobes as well as the LGBTQ+, just as Disney+ and HBO Max are. Secondly, that protest was not about removing the special from Netflix, but about (trans) Netflix employees calling out that they're not okay with this kind of content. And lastly, that was one protest. Just one.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Insert Ian Malcolm's quote about being too preoccupied with whether one can do something and not thinking about whether one should.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
First of all, that wasn't Netflix that was some Netflix employees. Netflix itself is totally fine catering to both transphobes as well as the LGBTQ+, just as Disney+ and HBO Max are. Secondly, that protest was not about removing the special from Netflix, but about (trans) Netflix employees calling out that they're not okay with this kind of content. And lastly, that was one protest. Just one.
I know what the protest was... What transphobic content does Netflix have? The protesters were more violent than whatever violence the protesters claimed the Chappelle special would cause. They were a bunch of crazy people, I saw the videos. Have you not noticed there's tons of incidents where people are protesting to get things removed whether content or people speaking.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I know what the protest was... What transphobic content does Netflix have?
The Chappelle special, my dude. Also, Ricky Gervais' latest Netflix special.

The protesters were more violent than whatever violence the protesters claimed the Chappelle special would cause. They were a bunch of crazy people, I saw the videos.
We talking about the Vito incident again? Can someone tell me if he was killed or even seriously injured? I figured he would be considering how violent these protesters seemingly were.

Have you not noticed there's tons of incidents where people are protesting to get things removed whether content or people speaking.
Broadly speaking? Yes. Specifically the "woke"? Not really. Unless by 'incident' you mean calling it out and making a stink, which could be construed as an incident, but I'm guessing you're refering to actual physical altercations. I have noticed lots of incidents recently of books being banned and even libraries being closed, but... yeah.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Can you actually talk about actual issues instead nitpicking the exact words of someone's statement?
Why would I be nitpicking?

It wasn't a protest against the Netflix special, was it. It wasn't people who just didn't enjoy the special or didn't find it funny and for some reason felt that noone else should watch it. It was protest against Dave Chapelle's expressed views (I will not denigrate them by calling them jokes) about trans people.

If you want to equate participation in an ongoing debate over whether certain groups of people should be tolerated in society (at a time when those people's legal rights are still very much in question and where they are routinely targeted for violence, abuse or discrimination) with simply creating a piece of media that some people might think is bad, then you're not really making any effort to understand what is actually going on.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Chappelle special, my dude. Also, Ricky Gervais' latest Netflix special.

We talking about the Vito incident again? Can someone tell me if he was killed or even seriously injured? I figured he would be considering how violent these protesters seemingly were.

Broadly speaking? Yes. Specifically the "woke"? Not really. Unless by 'incident' you mean calling it out and making a stink, which could be construed as an incident, but I'm guessing you're refering to actual physical altercations. I have noticed lots of incidents recently of books being banned and even libraries being closed, but... yeah.
Saw them both and neither were transphobic. Just because they don't 100% agree with certain views doesn't make them prejudice against trans people. Dave's story in his special is greatly helping trans inclusion, not hurting it.

His friend got seriously injured. And one guy attempted to get Vito injured by yelling "he's got a weapon!!!" in the middle of a rowdy crowd. You don't do that unless they actually have a weapon.

Don't care who is doing it, it's wrong regardless. Lots of speakers at colleges are not being allowed to speak.

Why would I be nitpicking?

It wasn't a protest against the Netflix special, was it. It wasn't people who just didn't enjoy the special or didn't find it funny and for some reason felt that noone else should watch it. It was protest against Dave Chapelle's expressed views (I will not denigrate them by calling them jokes) about trans people.

If you want to equate participation in an ongoing debate over whether certain groups of people should be tolerated in society (at a time when those people's legal rights are still very much in question and where they are routinely targeted for violence, abuse or discrimination) with simply creating a piece of media that some people might think is bad, then you're not really making any effort to understand what is actually going on.
What do you think is gonna cause hatred for trans people, arguably the most popular comedian's special being removed because trans people complaining (Netflix did have to comment that it wouldn't be removed btw) or people actually watching the special and listening to Dave's story? Why would Dave's special cause any violence against trans people? Also, they have all the rights everyone else has.