Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In "Blink" Malcolm Gladwell makes the case that intuition comes from internalizing ideas, lessons and connections. And of course, garbage in, garbage out. Shoddy pop media driven education will never hold a candle to hard-won expertise and experience. If you want to trust your instincts, you have to feed them regularly with learning.
Well that’s me fucked xD

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Apart from self-pub ebooks, the costs to entry for producing books are quite high, which broadly means books are of a higher standard than YouTube videos. There's also lots of people and companies involved in the production of a book, and the reputational consequences of producing shit are higher (a good author is unlikely to go with a publisher known for producing shit books if they have an alternative, and the reputation and fame of your publisher affects how many books you will sell). Unfairly or not, 'shit' is the standard people are already expecting from YouTube on account of any moron being able to upload a video essay about their toilet (the noun).

That's not to say there aren't shit books, but there are many more shit YouTube videos.
Shit is the standard for any medium, don't act like it's not.

We're all quite familiar with the concept. But as you so demonstrate, knowing a pitfall exists does not guarantee you can't step in it.
They why do all you always use the term wrong? It's like ludonarrative dissonance, nobody actually uses that term correctly, not even Yahtzee when it's brought in conversation on the podcasts.

Hey man, maybe stop being hyperbolic

Irrelevant. I don't particularly care about your overall spending habits beyond whether it makes you an early or late adopter, or even a good lead at all. What I care about is you being a brazenly pretentious know-nothing know-it-all, who is arrogantly trying to tout his ignorant presumptions - presumptions that make it clear as day that he never studied the topic - as if it were expertise.

Let me put it to you this way: Imagine I was a bumpkin who insisted to you that IT was a scam because I [claimed to have] never gone to an IT desk in my life, and instead simply talked to Technical Support at my office whenever my work computer acted up, and moreover that the very idea of computer viruses was absurd because viruses only infected living things. Odds are good that as someone who works in that field, that kind of ignorance would be enormously frustrating to you.

So, you explain that Technical Support is IT, that it encompass a variety of technical issues outside of computer viruses, and that computer viruses had absolutely no relation to the kind of viruses that carried diseases. Now imagine that rather than doing some research and taking a good hard look at my presumptions, I double down and claim that I wouldn't be caught dead lending my computer to a racket like that, that Tech Support was obviously different because they removed rogue programs, not computer viruses, and cite...let's say this article as demonstrating that computer viruses were not functionally different than biological viruses because otherwise how could a computer virus cross into the biological realm?

Now I want you to think long and hard about how frustratingly and stubbornly ignorant hypothetical me is being in that exchange. And I want you to understand that you are being every bit as ignorant about Marketing as hypothetical me was about IT. It's frustrating not because I think I know your spending habits. It's frustrating because you're spouting nonsense in what is by all appearances a vain effort to talk yourself up. Moreover, it's frustrating because you stubbornly refuse to rectify that problem when people point out the deficiencies in your knowledge, with the evident thrust being that you believe your instincts and perceived intuition are superior to actually learning and applying the subject.
To the personal/home user, much of IT is a scam. Most software you were told that you need for basically the entire history of computers, you don't need at all. It's even bled into phones now. Also, you act like that's not the normal type exchange with users and IT. I never said marketing on the whole is basically bunk, I said for ME it is. I see that it works, I have tons of people I know that it clearly works on. Much the same with say video games, I don't personally get how people always fall for the hype or get sucked into the Skinner boxes, but it's super obvious that it works on lots of people. I totally don't understand why anyone would pre-order a digital game that, you know, can't sell out, but tons of people do.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
They why do all you always use the term wrong? It's like ludonarrative dissonance, nobody actually uses that term correctly, not even Yahtzee when it's brought in conversation on the podcasts.
Then enlighten me. Explain it in your own words what you believe this concept to be about.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To the personal/home user, much of IT is a scam. Most software you were told that you need for basically the entire history of computers, you don't need at all.
That might be true now (I personally don’t think so but that’s me) but on the Internet of ages past, that software was very much a necessity. The internet of today is such a curated and managed experience that it if you hit your head during the 90s-early 2000s, went into a coma and woke up a week ago and were shown the internet you’d be confused as hell.

I’d argue that focus has just shifted; now the security tool ever good netizen needs is an ad-blocker and a script blocker.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Shit is the standard for any medium, don't act like it's not.
That you believe this is unsurprising given how low your bar is, but you're wrong. Reputational consequences for, say, reporters who get it consistently wrong are severe (why would you continue to believe them?); those for forum posters who do the same, not so much (why would you give a fuck?).

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I’d argue that focus has just shifted; now the security tool ever good netizen needs is an ad-blocker and a script blocker.
Which prior to v2, were a bannable offense to talk about on this forum at all.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's 10,000 times more common than you said it was
There still hasn't been a completely confirmed outdoor case though.

Then enlighten me. Explain it in your own words what you believe this concept to be about.
People generally think they are average, thus people who do poorly and who did well think they've done close to average.

You’re a few months late to that joke.
Co-worker sent it in a group text the other day.

That might be true now (I personally don’t think so but that’s me) but on the Internet of ages past, that software was very much a necessity. The internet of today is such a curated and managed experience that it if you hit your head during the 90s-early 2000s, went into a coma and woke up a week ago and were shown the internet you’d be confused as hell.

Post blaster-worm days, you really don't need an antivirus. Firewall and ad-blocker are enough nowadays. Ad-blockers will literally not let you go to sketchy sites unless you override them, they might be the most important security tool nowadays actually. A script blocker is great but I don't think the average user is gonna put up with training it. Just teaching people not to save shit to the C drive (stupid Windows default save locations) fixes most issues. Just restoring an image will remove a virus or random OS issue that pops up.

That you believe this is unsurprising given how low your bar is, but you're wrong. Reputational consequences for, say, reporters who get it consistently wrong are severe (why would you continue to believe them?); those for forum posters who do the same, not so much (why would you give a fuck?).
It's Sturgeon's law. Have you not seen the news recently? Like everything that is reported as a conspiracy theory that's impossible to be true ends up being true like 6 months later.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
People generally think they are average, thus people who do poorly and who did well think they've done close to average.
Nope. Dunning-Krueger refers to the phenomenon by which people with superficial knowledge, but no idea how deep the rabbit hole really goes, assume they have an expert-level understanding. They overestimate how much they know because they don't know how much there still is to learn. Nobody is immune to this. Thinking you are guarantees you will fall into the trap.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nope. Dunning-Krueger refers to the phenomenon by which people with superficial knowledge, but no idea how deep the rabbit hole really goes, assume they have an expert-level understanding. They overestimate how much they know because they don't know how much there still is to learn. Nobody is immune to this. Thinking you are guarantees you will fall into the trap.
That's literally half the study...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That's literally half the study...
So you said that people don't know what Dunning-Kruger is. You were then challenged to define it in your own words. The description you gave was wrong.

So you're now pivoting back to talking about the study, rather than just acknowledging the error?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
And if so, it's the half that you keep demonstrating. Learn some fucking humility.
And that's literally what you're demonstrating by not looking at the whole of the study.

So you said that people don't know what Dunning-Kruger is. You were then challenged to define it in your own words. The description you gave was wrong.

So you're now pivoting back to talking about the study, rather than just acknowledging the error?
My description isn't wrong, that's literally what the data of the study says. You guys only focused on half the study and ignore the other half so you can seem "witty".

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And that's literally what you're demonstrating by not looking at the whole of the study.

My description isn't wrong, that's literally what the data of the study says. You guys only focused on half the study and ignore the other half so you can seem "witty".
1675104574194.png

Correction, dude. You assume we're doing this because that's what you do and you can't fathom that anyone would have a different perspective in good faith from you.

Straight up, do you believe yourself immune to the Dunning-Kruger effect? Any answer that is not an unambiguous no will be taken as a yes.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You were asked to define Dunning-Kruger, not describe the data of the study.
That is the effect of the study when you look at EVERYONE studied.

View attachment 7825

Correction, dude. You assume we're doing this because that's what you do and you can't fathom that anyone would have a different perspective in good faith from you.

Straight up, do you believe yourself immune to the Dunning-Kruger effect? Any answer that is not an unambiguous no will be taken as a yes.
I'm in the other half of the study because I would always think I didn't do as well as I did on tests, especially open answer tests. Everyone around me would be writing a fucking book and I just answered with a sentence or two. I didn't realize others would just were just throwing shit at the wall and hoping some of it stuck.