Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Apparently a pokemon tournament judge didn't like a child's nervous laughter when asking the child what his pronouns are so he disqualified the kid and cost him tons of money and opportunities.

I hope nobody tells the judge about Nidoran.
3 pronouns? I thought, when people did it, it was usually 2. Also, it's a kid. Give them some guidance. Make it a teachable moment for the stream.

(I dont know how judges work Poketournaments and whether this second part is possible. It should be. My kid is doing karate and has a sheet of paper listing proper etiquette that he needs to practice and the sensai always corrects him gently, and publicly, to the group as a teachable moment)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's worth noting, as the article says, that we don't and won't get the judges side of the story, as per policy. Still, kid's crowdfunding went good

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
3 pronouns? I thought, when people did it, it was usually 2. Also, it's a kid. Give them some guidance. Make it a teachable moment for the stream.

(I dont know how judges work Poketournaments and whether this second part is possible. It should be. My kid is doing karate and has a sheet of paper listing proper etiquette that he needs to practice and the sensai always corrects him gently, and publicly, to the group as a teachable moment)
Based on the twitlonger, as soon as someone complains about it it's done and you're out, before they even get to hear your side of the story.

My issue is with the grown ass adult who would DQ a child over something like that. Again, I hope they don't know of Nidoran lol.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Apparently a pokemon tournament judge didn't like a child's nervous laughter when asking the child what his pronouns are so he disqualified the kid and cost him tons of money and opportunities.
If anyone asks me what my pronouns are, the answer's going to be "piss" and "off."

Also:

“The judge said that while he believed that I had no bad intentions, it didn’t matter because at the end of the day, someone was offended and upset,
Ah yes, the old "intent doesn't matter, impact does" argument.

I hope nobody tells the judge about Nidoran.
My nidoran identifies as a rhydon.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I also didn't get the joke.
Explain it to me.
Sam Hyde gets memed through image manipulation into fake news articles as the perpetrator of all sorts of stuff from war heroism to bombings and murder. It's spoofing sensational news headlines that have little basis in truth. Of course seeing one of these for the first time makes you double check.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Based on the twitlonger, as soon as someone complains about it it's done and you're out, before they even get to hear your side of the story.

My issue is with the grown ass adult who would DQ a child over something like that. Again, I hope they don't know of Nidoran lol.
I've never participated in a Pokemon Tournament, but as a card game person, I'm friends with or fan of multiple people who have, and allegedly the judging at Pokemon events is problematic in general. The rules are set up to take extreme action at a mere accusation, which incentivizes bad sportsmanship. The example I was given was in a best of 3 match, a guy won the first game and in the second game the winner played his cards incorrectly and then convinced the official to give them both a loss for that game because neither of them caught and corrected the mistake. Which wins the match 2-1.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I realize this may be hard for you to understand, but jokes are meant to be funny. Shitting on already marginalized groups is just being a hateful bigot. Try more of the former and less of the latter.
I also didn't get the joke.
Explain it to me.

Some-one once tricked actual publications into believing Sam Hyde (an internet comedian) was actually a mass murderer.
Then ever since time and time again Sam Hyde (or an appropriate variation on his name) has been named as everything from terrorists to the guy who got a boat stuck in the Suez Canal and watching people desperate for clout and internet share round fake news that to anyone whose been around the internet for a while will know is fake and Sam Hyde himself plays into this personal a bit with him calling out Hasan Piker after a boxing match thing the once.

Also "Shitting on already marginalised people". I didn't realise Sam Hyde the straight white dude counted as marginalised under the new system. I mean it was inevitable we'd reach the stage everyone was classed as marginalised I guess though.........

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
But don't you know? The deaths of multiple children and blaming them on the existence of trans people is funny!

...to psychopaths.
1) The Shooter in this case did identify as Trans.
2) Sam Hyde is not the shooter.
3) Sam Hyde is male.
4) Dark humour based on a running meme.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I've never participated in a Pokemon Tournament, but as a card game person, I'm friends with or fan of multiple people who have, and allegedly the judging at Pokemon events is problematic in general. The rules are set up to take extreme action at a mere accusation, which incentivizes bad sportsmanship. The example I was given was in a best of 3 match, a guy won the first game and in the second game the winner played his cards incorrectly and then convinced the official to give them both a loss for that game because neither of them caught and corrected the mistake. Which wins the match 2-1.
That's one thing if it's just the other player cause they're a kid too so they're less responsible. The incident was especially galling to me because it was just an interaction with the judge and the other player wasn't involved at all. They were in the middle of playing when they stopped em, so while I of course agree your story is all kinds of screwed up too, it's kinda different.

I've been to like a couple of pokemon tourneys, but this was like legit over 20 years ago, so it's very different now. It's closer to esports gaming tourneys now.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
So which part of that tweet didnt get the joke?

The tweet is to watch out for falsely spreading misinformation about the identity of the shooter, which by your own admission is in fact, a correct statement.

Never heard of Sam Hyde myself, but then I couldn't give a fuck about the various places likely to spawn that joke. Or the names and faces of people who deserve to be buried in obscurity (in reference to the things attributed to past versions of this joke).

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So which part of that tweet didnt get the joke?

The tweet is to watch out for falsely spreading misinformation about the identity of the shooter, which by your own admission is in fact, a correct statement.

Never heard of Sam Hyde myself, but then I couldn't give a fuck about the various places likely to spawn that joke. Or the names and faces of people who deserve to be buried in obscurity (in reference to the things attributed to past versions of this joke).
The joke is people rushing for attention spreading the wrong name of the shooter round. It's hitting basically a special kind of almost ambulance chasing twitter user getting hit with this and hopefully teaching people to actually look into claims being made online.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The joke is people rushing for attention spreading the wrong name of the shooter round. It's hitting basically a special kind of almost ambulance chasing twitter user getting hit with this and hopefully teaching people to actually look into claims being made online.
Again, this tweet is specifically doing the opposite of that. They're correctly identifying false information and warning people away from spreading it.
So again, how did they not get the joke? Because they didn't laugh at it???

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Again, this tweet is specifically doing the opposite of that. They're correctly identifying false information and warning people away from spreading it.
yeh because woke idiots don't get the joke and are the ones in need of warning due to being more likely to share such fake news lol

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The "There was no pressure to cover up the character it's nor censorship" neo-puritan side just took a big hit to their argument regarding Juri in Street Fighter V

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think you miss read him

He stated there was no joke

It was just about owning the libs. Because that's the joke

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, you have. This is not a negotiable point nor a matter of opinion. You are objectively wrong and doing nothing more than throwing a childish temper tantrum over it.
The data literally shows that people think they are average if you look at it with your own eyes.

You have a habit of citing studies that prove you wrong.
You have a habit of not reading anything that isn't apart of your echo chamber.

Very little of it is substantial, such as what you've provided so far. And overall it doesn't add up to a "debunk" as you've indicated; it just adds up to some (somewhat valid) criticism. Stuff to keep in mind when analysing its prevalence and extent, but hardly a smoking gun.
Why do you think Dunning-Kruger is so substantial? It's one (and the 1st of that study) psychological study, which is notoriously hard to study because there's a massive replication crisis in that field. Anything in psychology should be taken with massive grains of salt. Just redoing a study with random numbers and getting the same results is not debunking something in your world?