Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The data literally shows that people think they are average if you look at it with your own eyes.
I did look at it with my own eyes. For fuck's sake, I quoted the study at length. That's why I know in no uncertain terms that you are misrepresenting the results.

Once again: I'm the one who quoted the damn study several times over. I'm the one who quoted the author, the psychological journals, the dictionary, and the encyclopedia on the definition of the term. And you might even recall that I led this exchange by explaining how you were misrepresenting the results of the study. You're the one who's trying to reason away why all that doesn't count and claim that your definition is superior because you found that usage in an editorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvanus

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you think Dunning-Kruger is so substantial? It's one (and the 1st of that study) psychological study, which is notoriously hard to study because there's a massive replication crisis in that field. Anything in psychology should be taken with massive grains of salt.
"Replication is hard" can be used to lazily dismiss any and all psychological phenomena; It's a non-argument.

If it had never been replicated, and attempts had consistently gone counter to prediction, that would be another thing. But that didn't happen.

Just redoing a study with random numbers and getting the same results is not debunking something in your world?
As has already been covered, the 'same study' wasn't done with random numbers, because that's very obviously impossible.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, this is an interesting choice.

Kiss the Girl I get but I don't think its a big deal since the scene is framed as them both being very into it, but why bother with Poor Unfortunate Souls? Ursula is the fucking villain and deals in shitty contracts. Why the fuck would she care about consent?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Kiss the Girl I get but I don't think its a big deal since the scene is framed as them both being very into it, but why bother with Poor Unfortunate Souls? Ursula is the fucking villain and deals in shitty contracts. Why the fuck would she care about consent?
Ah yes, Kiss the Girl, where Eric and Ariel are so slow getting 'consent' that a bunch of sea guppies can turn their boat over. 0_0

And Poor Unfortunate Souls, where Ariel gives her consent by magic quill.

...damn it, I don't even like TLM that much, but sweet Tiamat, Disney's being stupid. Again. Like, more than usual.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Ah yes, half-species in fantasy is racist.

Y'know, how half-species are used as a metaphor against prejudice, when the half-species character in question tends to get animus from one or both sides, and struggles with their identity, yet comes to appreciate their self-worth? Nup. None of that's true, every half-species is "inherently problematic"

...fine, whatever.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ah yes, Kiss the Girl, where Eric and Ariel are so slow getting 'consent' that a bunch of sea guppies can turn their boat over. 0_0

And Poor Unfortunate Souls, where Ariel gives her consent by magic quill.

...damn it, I don't even like TLM that much, but sweet Tiamat, Disney's being stupid. Again. Like, more than usual.
They were eels weren't they?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Seconded. Poor Unfortunate Souls is a villain song in which Ursula is trying to manipulate Ariel into forgetting that her voice is the only thing that would allow Eric to actually recognize her, something that Ariel immediately caught onto. Ursula, of course, immediately pivots to claiming that Ariel's beauty is enough to draw his attention, and when the song resumes with this verse, it dramatically changes tone and tempo to echo her switch from a calm and subdued "I'm really a good person" soft sell to flat out trying to fast-talk her mark into falling for the con and thinking the exorbitant price is a bargain.

While I can respect the sentiment behind altering Ursula's verse so as not to say that men prefer quiet women, the lyric is not supposed to be something we get behind. Ursula is not a good person, and she's bullshitting for nefarious purposes. The movie makes no bones about that, with Ursula both making it clear (at Kiss the Girl no less) that Ariel losing her voice was supposed to be an insurmountable handicap. For goodness sake, Eric spends much of his screentime with Ariel trying to bridge the language barrier. And when Ursula decides she needs to directly sabotage the romance, she does so by using Ariel's stolen voice to charm Eric. Ariel being rendered mute is not treated as a good thing by the story, it's an obstacle.

We in the audience aren't supposed to buy into Ursula's pitch any more than we're supposed to buy into Frollo's claim (in Hellfire) of being a pillar of virtue.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ah yes, half-species in fantasy is racist.

Y'know, how half-species are used as a metaphor against prejudice, when the half-species character in question tends to get animus from one or both sides, and struggles with their identity, yet comes to appreciate their self-worth? Nup. None of that's true, every half-species is "inherently problematic"

...fine, whatever.
So, they are keeping the Drow. Are they keeping them as being the one inherently evil elf race, and coincidently, the one elf race that has dark skin and is ruled by women? Cause that's a bit of a biggie.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, they are keeping the Drow. Are they keeping them as being the one inherently evil elf race, and coincidently, the one elf race that has dark skin and is ruled by women? Cause that's a bit of a biggie.
And feed their men to spiders. That one looms big in my mind since it nearly happened to my character like two weeks ago.

Fuckin' stealth rolls.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...I assume so?

As to whether or not that's a "biggie," really not in the mood. Call that a copout if you want, but Mysterious GX and I had a massive debate on it on the HP thread that involved drow, not really inclined to hash it out here. That, and DnD lore isn't something I'm that up to snuff with compared to a lot of other fantasy IPs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
...I assume so?

As to whether or not that's a "biggie," really not in the mood. Call that a copout if you want, but Mysterious GX and I had a massive debate on it on the HP thread that involved drow, not really inclined to hash it out here. That, and DnD lore isn't something I'm that up to snuff with compared to a lot of other fantasy IPs.
Fair enough, but compared to having people like Tanis or Elrond or Spock who are half elf and half human, which isn't a problem at all, even something that's only vaguely a problem is bigger.