Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have to emphasise, I really don't care about your logic and how you've drawn your conclusions. I don't find it compelling at all.

The things you've provided sources for aren't the same as the claim you made. No authoritative sources came to the same conclusion from that information as you did. They all contradicted you. You've shown evidence for A, and then attempted to rationalise that A=B, when it's transparently clear that A=/=B.

Do you have sources for your actual claim or not? Not other stuff from which you've made leaps. Your actual claim. That overeating sugar is the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes. Do you have any authoritative source backing that claim up?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A LOT of products heavily refute that, but you do you, tin foil hat man.
Name 10 AAA games that refute that.

I will name 10 that aren't cringe.

FF7Rebirth

FF7Remake

Resident Evil 4 RE

Resident Evil 3 RE

Resident Evil 2 RE

Monster Hunter World

Ace Combat 7

Skyrim SE or AE (Modded)

Fallout 4 (Modded)

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.

All AAA.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I have to emphasise, I really don't care about your logic and how you've drawn your conclusions. I don't find it compelling at all.

The things you've provided sources for aren't the same as the claim you made. No authoritative sources came to the same conclusion from that information as you did. They all contradicted you. You've shown evidence for A, and then attempted to rationalise that A=B, when it's transparently clear that A=/=B.

Do you have sources for your actual claim or not? Not other stuff from which you've made leaps. Your actual claim. That overeating sugar is the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes. Do you have any authoritative source backing that claim up?
We were talking about mechanisms first. You put forth yours that I debunked. I put forth mine, which you haven't debunked. How many times do I have to say I don't care about authoritative sources? I care about how things actually work.

A (sugar) literally does equal B (insulin resistance) per the study showing that. Then I showed from an "authoritative source" that you love so much for some reason B (insulin resistance) literally does equal C (diabetes). Thus, A (sugar) does equal C (diabetes). I asked you how you could get diabetes without insulin resistance and you can't answer that. It's pretty funny that the ADA authoritative source that I used does erroneously explain how insulin resistance leads to diabetes but you like those sources for some reason when they are often wrong. They are, in the end, right about insulin resistance leading to diabetes but they explain it wrong..

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How many times do I have to say I don't care about authoritative sources?
So in short, you don't have any. I just wish you'd been honest to begin with, rather than telling us you could easily provide them and then failing to do so for 20+ posts.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

FF7Rebirth

FF7Remake

Resident Evil 4 RE

Resident Evil 3 RE

Resident Evil 2 RE

Monster Hunter World

Ace Combat 7

Skyrim SE or AE (Modded)

Fallout 4 (Modded)

All AAA.
??? You were the one arguing that art offering escapism has to offer an improvement over the real world. Then you provide.... FF7, Resident Evil, and Fallout, all of which take place in utterly dire situations that are (if anything) worse than our current reality. You provided several prime examples to refute your own argument, well done!

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
??? You were the one arguing that art offering escapism has to offer an improvement over the real world. Then you provide.... FF7, Resident Evil, and Fallout, all of which take place in utterly dire situations that are (if anything) worse than our current reality. You provided several prime examples to refute your own argument, well done!
I was the one who said escapism was considered an improvement over the real world. My logic being: why would anyone want to "escape" to a world that is actively worse than reality?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, but as the hero it's pretty good in terms of how much action you see, how powerful you are, etc. Plus the people there are hot.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009

FF7Rebirth

FF7Remake

Resident Evil 4 RE

Resident Evil 3 RE

Resident Evil 2 RE

Monster Hunter World

Ace Combat 7

Skyrim SE or AE (Modded)

Fallout 4 (Modded)

All AAA.
Immediately no, no I shall not.
You stated works that don't fufill a power fantasy fail, and the market self corrects. Upon being challenged you have Immediately switched to 'cringe', a subjective assessment of whether you like them.

I will however laugh that your triple A list is 5 remakes, and 2 titles that "are only good with mods". Talk about an own goal.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

FF7Rebirth

FF7Remake

Resident Evil 4 RE

Resident Evil 3 RE

Resident Evil 2 RE

Monster Hunter World

Ace Combat 7

Skyrim SE or AE (Modded)

Fallout 4 (Modded)

All AAA.
Final Fantasy 7 isn’t cringe? Do you play that game with the dialogue muted and subtitles turned off? It’s nothing but hamtastic cringe. It doesn’t suffer for it, but don’t fuckin’ sit there and act like it’s dialogue is some kind of masterwork.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 7 isn’t cringe? Do you play that game with the dialogue muted and subtitles turned off? It’s nothing but hamtastic cringe. It doesn’t suffer for it, but don’t fuckin’ sit there and act like it’s dialogue is some kind of masterwork.
It's still better than the story of Suicide Squad, Assassin's Creed Valhalla's boringness, and whatever Gotham Knights is.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Immediately no, no I shall not.
You stated works that don't fufill a power fantasy fail, and the market self corrects. Upon being challenged you have Immediately switched to 'cringe', a subjective assessment of whether you like them.

I will however laugh that your triple A list is 5 remakes, and 2 titles that "are only good with mods". Talk about an own goal.
I would rather 1 million good remakes than one Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I literally could not get through that game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I would rather 1 million good remakes than one Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I literally could not get through that game.
When did that happen? Like I seem to remember most people going "Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a ubisoft game. If you like that, you're in luck. If you don't, avoid" which has been the go to advice for AssCreed games since, I wanna say 3. Did they somehow managed to patch the game down or something?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
When did that happen? Like I seem to remember most people going "Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a ubisoft game. If you like that, you're in luck. If you don't, avoid" which has been the go to advice for AssCreed games since, I wanna say 3. Did they somehow managed to patch the game down or something?
My experience with it, is that it's mostly as mentioned, more of the same, like it or hate it.

However I'd be willing to guess Gergar has extra hate for it because the Viking women and English peasants didn't do much to make his genitals tingle.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
My experience with it, is that it's mostly as mentioned, more of the same, like it or hate it.

However I'd be willing to guess Gergar has extra hate for it because the Viking women and English peasants didn't do much to make his genitals tingle.
No, funny that time I expected that, but the gameplay and exploration killed it for me.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I was the one who said escapism was considered an improvement over the real world. My logic being: why would anyone want to "escape" to a world that is actively worse than reality?
Aye, but Gergar made a similar point, only extrapolating it into a point about art in general.

Yeah, but as the hero it's pretty good in terms of how much action you see, how powerful you are, etc. Plus the people there are hot.
Do you think perhaps other people might want to experience art for different reasons than you? Your approach to art seems actively off-putting and reductive to me. If I took your approach I'd have missed out on some of the greatest art I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Because at least in that escapist world they can be the hero, or someone who makes a difference.

Put it this way: imagine you are Vladimir Putin. Why have your country into a war-ridden, economically stagnant, miserable dump when you could instead trade and work with your neighbours, build schools, encourage modern industry, increase human development, and turn it into a well-developed, richer and happier one? Because the latter would almost certainly involve giving up your job as dictator. Some people would get more of a buzz as slum lord than as a mediocrity with comfortable, middle class job.

Nor does someone playing the escapist fiction have to put up with a lot of the stuff that a real world would have: they don't have to really experience swords in the guts, cut ligaments, dysentary, tetanus, lice, ticks, ill-fitting clothing, boots with holes in, hunger, thin gruel and stale bread, exhaustion, maiming and death etc. It's all just numbers on a screen and imagination, with a sense of satisfaction at the end that they achieved tasks and won.