Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Are you suggesting that it is impossible to be dishonest?
Obviously not-- your posts are evidence enough of that.

I'm suggesting that if you made the slightest effort to understand your opponents' positions, you'd see there're plenty of pro-choice rationales that don't involve being OK with murder or dishonest.

If I were trying to disown the idea entirely, you'd have a point. You are nitpicking specific verbiage, while I maintain the same position as ever.
If you don't think the meaning of the term "murder" is central to the post you initially responded to, you're being obtuse.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

There is one solution to this that will work, and that is profiling young people. Old people can't murder people as well as young people, and middle-aged people have too much to lose.

Edit: The Americans should do this as well.
Ah yes. Let's not help young people. Lets lock them up. Genius

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And yet, there are lots of places where they don't go after young people, and don't put cameras everywhere to 1984 levels, and crime isn't out of control. South Africa has been known as having particularly bad crime problems (by certain standards) for decades, it's an outlier.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And yet, there are lots of places where they don't go after young people, and don't put cameras everywhere to 1984 levels, and crime isn't out of control. South Africa has been known as having particularly bad crime problems (by certain standards) for decades, it's an outlier.
There are a whole host of societal issues that underpin crime. I don't think law enforcement tends to be the big one for reducing it. Countries would do better to look at tackling poverty, low social cohesion, lack of mutual respect and things like that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
There are a whole host of societal issues that underpin crime. I don't think law enforcement tends to be the big one for reducing it. Countries would do better to look at tackling poverty, low social cohesion, lack of mutual respect and things like that.
It's easier to use police to tackle, and it gets harder to tackle with crime also coinciding.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It's easier to use police to tackle, and it gets harder to tackle with crime also coinciding.
Police don't so much tackle as contain... often not very well. And as the USA amply demonstrates, unless the root causes of crime are tackled, the police end up moving towards a paramilitary, occupying force hated and feared by the community they are supposed to serve and protect.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Lichtman's 13 points of anaysis.
  • Party mandate: True
  • Contest: True (assuming no serious contest for Biden's nomination)
  • Incumbency: True (Biden is the sitting president)
  • Third party: False (RFK's campaign is expected to take votes from Biden)
  • Short term economy: True (based on your assessment of Powell's ability to achieve a soft landing)
  • Long term economy: True (based on your assessment of Powell's ability to manage the economy)
  • Policy change: True (assuming Biden's administration has effected major policy changes)
  • Social unrest: True (based on your assessment that a strong economy will prevent social unrest)
  • Scandal: True (based on your assessment of Biden's staff's media skills)
  • Foreign/military failure: True (based on your assessment of Biden's foreign policy experience)
  • Foreign/military success: True (based on your prediction of successes with Ukraine and Israel)
  • Incumbent charisma: False (Biden is not considered particularly charismatic or a national hero)
  • Challenger charisma: False (based on your assessment that Trump is charismatic)
Booooooo, I wanted a close election. How boring. That kills the excitement.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh absolutely. But Laura Norda giving more money to the police, or bigger prison term is the easier thing for politicians to say they are doing.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Lichtman's 13 points of anaysis.
  • Party mandate: True
  • Contest: True (assuming no serious contest for Biden's nomination)
  • Incumbency: True (Biden is the sitting president)
  • Third party: False (RFK's campaign is expected to take votes from Biden)
  • Short term economy: True (based on your assessment of Powell's ability to achieve a soft landing)
  • Long term economy: True (based on your assessment of Powell's ability to manage the economy)
  • Policy change: True (assuming Biden's administration has effected major policy changes)
  • Social unrest: True (based on your assessment that a strong economy will prevent social unrest)
  • Scandal: True (based on your assessment of Biden's staff's media skills)
  • Foreign/military failure: True (based on your assessment of Biden's foreign policy experience)
  • Foreign/military success: True (based on your prediction of successes with Ukraine and Israel)
  • Incumbent charisma: False (Biden is not considered particularly charismatic or a national hero)
  • Challenger charisma: False (based on your assessment that Trump is charismatic)
Booooooo, I wanted a close election. How boring. That kills the excitement.
lol

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So Novara Media did an interview with George Galloway where he expresses his views on gay people and how they're not natural, and how teaching children that gay people exist is sexualizing them. And now Novara Media is branded traitors to the Left and to Galloway for letting Galloway say gay people suck.

It's amazing how quickly so many people who claim themselves to be on the Left are willing to throw the rights of others under the bus when push comes to shove. People literally saying 'You want thousands of Palestinians to die!?' in response to others criticizing Galloway's homophobia.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So Novara Media did an interview with George Galloway where he expresses his views on gay people and how they're not natural, and how teaching children that gay people exist is sexualizing them. And now Novara Media is branded traitors to the Left and to Galloway for letting Galloway say gay people suck.

It's amazing how quickly so many people who claim themselves to be on the Left are willing to throw the rights of others under the bus when push comes to shove. People literally saying 'You want thousands of Palestinians to die!?' in response to others criticizing Galloway's homophobia.
I mentioned this in the Anti-Woke thread too-- he also did an LBC phone interview in which he repeatedly refuses to acknowledge it and accuses them of editing the clip (they didn't).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mentioned this in the Anti-Woke thread too-- he also did an LBC phone interview in which he repeatedly refuses to acknowledge it and accuses them of editing the clip (they didn't).
I'm not British and I'm not terribly familiar with British politics, but why is this guy suddenly the hero of the Left? You'd think someone this openly homophobic would've been left by the wayside.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not British and I'm not terribly familiar with British politics, but why is this guy suddenly the hero of the Left? You'd think someone this openly homophobic would've been left by the wayside.
Because, regrettably, many people are simpletons whose political awareness extends as far as say 'Hurr Kieth didn't win!'. They have no interest in things getting better, they just want to roll around in their despair silos while pointing the finger and making absolutely zero contribution to the world. Galloway should have been chucked in the bin and rolled down a hill decades ago.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Of all leftist groups I follow there's been none who've defended Galloway, distancing themselves from his antics pretty much consistently, and calling out his flakey ever-changing inconsistent stances while sometimes analysing why some still fall for the bullshit. He's a cynical chancer hardly anyone wants to see anymore. His constituency is fucked, our politics is fucked, everything is fucking fucked and now the bloated remains of our toxic RW press are seeing him as the next golden goose of scapegoat strawmen to smear the left as whole with again as they always do every fucking time as everything gets worse and worse.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
He's not a hero of the British left, really. He's a bit of a meme in British politics, best known nationally for doing a cringey imitation of a cat on Big Brother.

But he's a long-standing MP, and gained support for his early opposition to the Iraq war, over which he was expelled from Labour. In the Rochdale by-election he gained traction by focusing on opposition to Israel's war in Gaza at a time when Labour was vascilating and hadn't taken a strong stance.