Fuse Hands-On Preview: It's Raining Lead

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Fuse Hands-On Preview: It's Raining Lead

Can Fuse avoid the unfortunate fate of many of this generation's shooters?

Read Full Article

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I preferred it when it looked more like Ratchet and Clank meets The Incredibles.

I'm still keeping my eye on it just because it's Insomniac.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Aww. You made me go back and watch the original teaser again. And now I want a crazy cartoon shooter.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Aright, hands up, who thought this looked a lot more fun when it wasn't taking itself seriously?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
MikeWehner said:
Those of you who have followed the saga of Fuse already know that the game was originally announced under the title Overstrike. The initial trailer for Overstrike appeared very tongue-in-cheek, and while it was heavy on action, it was light on drama. Fuse appears to be headed in the opposite direction, with a darker tone and an overall emphasis on realism over the cartoony, campy style of Overstrike.

There just isn't enough gritty co-op 3rd person shooters, I guess.

Yeah, I'm not getting this either. It could've easily retained my interest if it kept the original style. As of now though, it's much more along the lines of a bargain bin purchase. Unless it requires an online pass, which in that case I'll just pass on this entirely.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, reading about this just makes me sad. We have enough gritty and realistic shooters, I want a campy, cartoony one :(

Zhukov said:
Aright, hands up, who thought this looked a lot more fun when it wasn't taking itself seriously?
Yup.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Really? They decided to go with the gritty and realistic? I dont mind those games but I think that there are way too many out there in comparision to campy and fun

rednightmare

Apr 17, 2009
Zhukov said:
^o.o Here here! I still love that first teaser, cracks me up everytime. No way this interests me now.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
"...it'll be interesting to see if the final product can...give us an experience we haven't had before."

Spoiler Alert:

No.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
The campy/goofy Superagent style before gave it promise. It left room for guns, weaponry, and gadgets with unbelievable gimmicks that would be fun to use. So in an effort to avoid looking like TF2, they ended up looking like everything else.

Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.

Regardless, all the people that got interested in the game from the refreshing original trailer seem to be turned away. It'll fade into mediocrity.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
It seems that almost every single solitary person is in agreement that going from the cartoony tongue-in-cheek action of Overstrike to the mass market blandery of Fuse was a dumb idea. Whomever made this design decision has most certainly lost their game quite a lot of sales in doing so.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Zhukov said:
Another hand up over here.

Can't say much that everyone else isn't already saying. They might want this to be the new Gears Of War, but it's going to be the new Binary Domain.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
"cartoony, campy, STYLE." STYLE being the emphasis word there. People like STYLE, not so much the rampancy of "darker tones and realism" in everything now. . . -_- Because as we all know, looking like everything else in the market will make you do as well right? Right?!?!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
Raises hand. :( It looked so much fun then...

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
::Raises hand:: I would have played the crap out of Overstrike.... this just looks generic.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Korten12 said:
Zhukov said:
Raises hand. :( It looked so much fun then...
Yeah, I even bookmarked the trailer so I could remain excited. When I found out in a game informer article how it changed, well, I lost all real interest. Now that trailer serves to be a sad reminder of what once was.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Absolutionis said:
Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.
You say that like it's even in question.

EA came down from on-high and said flat out that they wouldn't fund it unless it looked like gears of war and/or call of duty, because that's what they do. It's more than a little ridiculous at this point.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Did everybody love that original trailer that much? I though it looked awful then, and the forced "wackiness" made it seem like something that would become immensely grating after about five seconds.