Fuse Hands-On Preview: It's Raining Lead

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
Aright, hands up, who thought this looked a lot more fun when it wasn't taking itself seriously?
*raises hand*
I really miss the funny teaser...

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
major_chaos said:
Did everybody love that original trailer that much? I though it looked awful then, and the forced "wackiness" made it seem like something that would become immensely grating after about five seconds.
It didn't seem that "forced" or "lol wacky" to be entirely honest. Okay, so the grizzly, bearded guy wasn't growling about his job and being a bit sarcastic with the interviewers. So, Kimbal yells before he kicks a guy out of a window. So Sinclair smirks before shooting a guy. So fucking what? Seriously, it wasn't as nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

I've been watching the old trailer a couple of times now. The only things that might seem like a bit much are, "headache level nine", the "do you serve breakfast line" and maybe the music choice, but aside from that, not much else.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Agayek said:
Absolutionis said:
Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.
You say that like it's even in question.

EA came down from on-high and said flat out that they wouldn't fund it unless it looked like gears of war and/or call of duty, because that's what they do. It's more than a little ridiculous at this point.
Insomniac is working with the EA Partners program, not EA itself. There is a difference.

Edit: More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Partners#EA_Partners_Program

The EA Partners co-publishing arm is dedicated to publishing and distributing games developed by third-party developers. Notable publishing/distribution agreements include:

APB ? Realtime Worlds
Brütal Legend ? Double Fine Productions
Bulletstorm ? Epic Games
Crysis series ? Crytek
DeathSpank ? Hothead Games
Fuse ? Insomniac Games[53]
Hellgate: London ? Flagship Studios
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ? 38 Studios, Big Huge Games
Left 4 Dead series, The Orange Box, Portal 2 (retail release) ? Valve
Rock Band series ? Harmonix and MTV Games
The Secret World ? Funcom[54]
Shadows of the Damned ? Grasshopper Manufacture
Shank ? Klei Entertainment
Warp ? Trapdoor
Unconfirmed project ? Respawn Entertainment ? founded in April 2010, formed a partnership with ex Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella.

I still find it amusing that people are willing to believe EA would greenlight the original trailer at their own E3 press conference and then demand Insomniac shift the tone to a more mature tone.

Like the preview says, the thing that will make or break this game is the story, similar to how Spec Ops: The Line is pretty much a conventional FPS game but really stands out with its story.

I only really remain interested in this game seeing as Insomniac is the developer, and their main studio hasn't released anything yet that I'd really consider bad outside of Resistance 2.

Sep 24, 2008
Here's what's going to happen.

The game has no press, and lost all the good will from us who LOVED the idea of Overstrike and was less than impressed by the Gears conforming. It's going to do poorly.

The designers are going to ***** that gamers didn't give it a chance because of the 'slight' style change.

Other Designers are going to use this as once again, proving that gamers don't want 'new' (even though we were happy with Overstrike because it was fun and not so fucking gritty as designers are seemed to be convinced we want nowadays... yeah, right, go look at Team Fortress 2 and get back at me)

And those Other Designers are going to mod more of their projects after what sold well. Meaning more clones of Gears, Call, Battlefield, and the like.

Will anything be able to get us out of this downward spiral?

captcha: 5 Dollar Shake. The downgrade of the Harlem Shake, everybody.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
Absolutionis said:
The campy/goofy Superagent style before gave it promise. It left room for guns, weaponry, and gadgets with unbelievable gimmicks that would be fun to use. So in an effort to avoid looking like TF2, they ended up looking like everything else.

Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.

Regardless, all the people that got interested in the game from the refreshing original trailer seem to be turned away. It'll fade into mediocrity.
EA are worryingly making blunder after blunder recently (worryingly for the number of jobs that will be lost and NOTHING ELSE) and they must stop (so that they don't result in honest employees losing their jobs).

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Here's what's going to happen.

The game has no press, and lost all the good will from us who LOVED the idea of Overstrike and was less than impressed by the Gears conforming. It's going to do poorly.

The designers are going to ***** that gamers didn't give it a chance because of the 'slight' style change.

Other Designers are going to use this as once again, proving that gamers don't want 'new' (even though we were happy with Overstrike because it was fun and not so fucking gritty as designers are seemed to be convinced we want nowadays... yeah, right, go look at Team Fortress 2 and get back at me)

And those Other Designers are going to mod more of their projects after what sold well. Meaning more clones of Gears, Call, Battlefield, and the like.

Will anything be able to get us out of this downward spiral?

captcha: 5 Dollar Shake. The downgrade of the Harlem Shake, everybody.
The issue is Market research is very double edged and is being done wrongly, if they did ANY market research then they would have discovered that the art style made it fresh and there would have been a fight on their hands to change it (if EA pulled the strings in this case). At the same time, there could have been the chance of some more zany and crazy weapons with the art style but now any zany weapons wouldn't look right.

EAs style of Market Research is 'how is the best way we can ram this down their throat of most people'. They really need to do more realistic market research, if they did then they wouold discover that they are losing customer's goodwill FAST.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
I've been a massive fan of Insomniac since Spyro the Dragon, and they have built up a metric fuckton of goodwill with me The only game by them I didn't play much was Resistance 2, and I can't rent either of the other Resistance games, but I've loved all three of their Spyro games and every Ratchet and Clank game. Nothing will cause me to write this game off until I sit down and play it for myself.