G-Man Releases Final Version of Beyond Black Mesa

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Damn... that was good. Reminds me of another film so guys made. Why is it Indie film makers can make such steller movies out of games, but Hollywoood can only make steller trash?
Well these fans know the story and do this for the quality while Hollywood do it for the money. It's simple as that.

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
mad825 said:
Very good for a fan film but for fucks sake! What's with the bloody zombie, Half-life 'Zombies' are not pathological creatures but rather a puppet via the head-crabs.
Looks like an editorial decision, on that budget they probably decided to cut headcrabs otherwise they probably would have looked rubbish.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
This is damn good, but I can't help but still long for the next instalment of Escape from City 17. *sighs*

EDIT: Just watched it again. This is getting better. In fact, this is fucking impressive. Good on them (Y)

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Stopped watching when zombies had no headcrabs. no headcrabs =/= halflife.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
thefreeman0001 said:
whilst this is realy great im dissapointed because i thought it was the half life 1 total conversion mod. derp!
Yes this was a serious letdown for me too.

Jul 9, 2008
My main problem with this (besides the zombies) is that they get weird about the whole"five years later" thing at times. Towards the end, Shepherd comments "No one knows who these guys are or where they came from." If it's 5 years later, you'd think they'd have some idea. They reference City 17, so the Combine administration should have started right? Otherwise, the city would still be called Odessa (that's my theory for what the city actually is, anyway). So how can they have no idea who the Combine are? Even if all they knew was the "Universal Union" BS Breen was pushing, that still seems to be more than they knew here. Also, they're fighting Synths! As in, humans turned into Combine. They should know more, at this point.

They're part of a larger resistance, so how can they not know things regular civilians would?

Nitpicking aside, it was quite good. I prefer Escape from City 17 because, among other things, the setting itself is more half life-y (tell me that train yard didn't feel like City 17). Really, there was nothing connecting this to the Half Life universe besides Shepherd's name, the sound effects, and the Combine masks and strider, all of which (besides masks) were added post-production and actually add nothing to the story. They should have made this stand-alone.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
When I read the title, I thought it was Black Mesa that was released--Black Mesa, the mod that's been in developement for around six years?

Awww.

The fan movie itself--it's okay. Bad for a big budget movie, above mediorce for a fan movie.

genamp

Nov 18, 2010
That was pretty good... Kinda felt like a "retarded action-mode" version of Children of Men meets 28 Days Later. Not really a comprehensible combination, but they did say that they were going to take a few liberties with the license. I guess I could mention the lack of headcrabs, too... :p

Jul 9, 2008
genamp said:
That was pretty good... Kinda felt like a "retarded action-mode" version of Children of Men meets 28 Days Later. Not really a comprehensible combination, but they did say that they were going to take a few liberties with the license. I guess I could mention the lack of headcrabs, too... :p
Hmmm...You know, I realized it was familiar, but I didn't pick up on how it sorta felt like Children of Men, but you're right. Good catch.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
mad825 said:
Very good for a fan film but for fucks sake! What's with the bloody zombie, Half-life 'Zombies' are not pathological creatures but rather a puppet via the head-crabs.
EXACTLY. Then again, integrating headcrabs might have been slightly hurtful to the budget.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
It looks pretty, but as a 'fan film' it's rubbish.

That kicked ass, and I salute the people who made it. Anyone complaining about non-headcrab zombies, cheesy acting, etc. can shut up until they've dedicated a huge chunk of their life to make a better Half-Life fan film.
As for comments like this, you can shut up until doomsday for all I care.
If you're satisfied with a film that completely ignores the entire construction of Adrian Shepard (and there is character there in OF) for some stock-standard action hero nonsense then go ahead and revel in mediocrity.

Me? I'm always going to have high standards. I want it to be worth watching, worth paying attention to. As it stands, this short isn't worth recommending to anyone who's looking for a half-life fanfilm.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I thought it was pretty good. If this quality can be done for $1200, then Hollywood has no reason to spend more than a quarter-million on an entire three-hour movie.

Corekrash

Aug 26, 2010
Always was keen to see a progression to shepard's story after his ending in opposing forces. That being said, I did roll my eyes during the 1 v 1 fight scene. Also, anyone else get a "Manhunt" vibe from the crowbar execution?