G4's Olivia Munn Trying Out For The Daily Show

Lepre-Khan

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah but is X-Play funny again? Now thats news I really want to know Mr.Robot Avatar Sir!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
300lb. Samoan said:
I think if anything is going to sink the show it'll be Jon's "old Jewish man" shtick which is quickly becoming more depressingly real than it is humorous.
Well I think that has to do with how the news is getting more depressing, rather than Jon's humor running dry. In the 90's, the biggest thing that was going on was how our president got a blowjob in the oval office. The economy was good, and it was generally happier times.

Now, you have a global financial crisis, thousands of people are out of work, we're stuck in 2 wars with no end in sight, dictators are threatening nuclear proliferation, millions of gallons of oil is being dumped into the gulf, corruption is running rampant, and our government is becoming completely ineffectual at running this country.
It's the show's reportage of that kind of stuff that keeps it great. I'm talking about how Jon will slip into Jerry Lewis mode. But I think the writers of the show would agree that the more depressing the news gets, the better the comedy will get because our world is becoming more and more absurd each day and there's not much you can do except laugh about it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Centrophy said:
Also, Jon Stewart is the only funny person on that show. Mostly because the fake news sections and skits are silly. I could never understand why someone would agree to volunteer to go on that show for those interviews (not Jon's interview) with their subjects and points of view that they feel strongly about. /flame suit
That's not true, Jon Oliver is first-rate funny. I think he'll be the next Colbert-level talent to come off the show. His jokes are almost always rooted firmly in political observation, rather than awkward situations or drunken-frat humor. Sam B is funny mostly for how passively confrontational she is and Jason Jones is a just party-oaf.

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
I really hope she doesn't quit AoTS for this but I'm curious to see how she does the Daily Show.

"As we say in Vietnam,Gon wa tun [bleep]in the [bleep]"

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I want to believe it will work, since I love all related things about it, but I think at this point alot of her appeal is her with the G4 cast, Kevin, obviously the most.

Could just be to create a film career though. All correspondents on the Daily Show leave to do a hundred popular movies.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Rigs83 said:
I use to watch AOTS and then she called every man who wasn't circumcised "disgusting" just to show the world that you can take a girl out of Kansas but you can't wash off the ignorance.
While the men themselves may be fine...its gross. Alot of people think that. I know I do. I would still be with an uncut man...but my enthusiasm may suffer.
Don't remember who, but someone once said "The decision to circumsize should not be up to the person, but up to the girls who have to do them"

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
Centrophy said:
Also, Jon Stewart is the only funny person on that show. Mostly because the fake news sections and skits are silly. I could never understand why someone would agree to volunteer to go on that show for those interviews (not Jon's interview) with their subjects and points of view that they feel strongly about. /flame suit
That's not true, Jon Oliver is first-rate funny. I think he'll be the next Colbert-level talent to come off the show. His jokes are almost always rooted firmly in political observation, rather than awkward situations or drunken-frat humor. Sam B is funny mostly for how passively confrontational she is and Jason Jones is a just party-oaf.
I agree.
Jon Oliver's skits are always hilarious, I know he had his own show for a bit, what ever happened to that?

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
Miumaru said:
I want to believe it will work, since I love all related things about it, but I think at this point alot of her appeal is her with the G4 cast, Kevin, obviously the most.

Could just be to create a film career though. All correspondents on the Daily Show leave to do a hundred popular movies.
Wasn't Stephen Colbert just in one movie(Monsters Vs. Aliens) with about 5 lines?

CompanionCube

Aug 5, 2008
Baby Eater said:
Miumaru said:

Wasn't Stephen Colbert just in one movie(Monsters Vs. Aliens) with about 5 lines?
He was the president and had a couple lines, but those lines were AWESOME

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
CompanionCube said:
Baby Eater said:
Miumaru said:

He was the president and had a couple lines, but those lines were AWESOME
Internet high fivez!

"Go to Code Brown because I need a new change of pants..."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
She's hot, and has potential, but I don't think she's really a good match for "The Daily Show". I can understand what a career boost it would be, but I think her potential would be better realized elsewhere. Largely because she doesn't strike me as being a Comiedienne , but rather as an actress/eye candy type. That's not an insult, just a statement of opinion.

I'd think she should look towards TV shows with more of a straight acting bent.

Of course then again, I can't think of any upcoming shows that are supposed to be awaiting production (rumored or otherwise) that she'd be perfect in.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Baby Eater said:
Miumaru said:

Also in Strangers with Candy, but Colbert is the exception to the rule. Instead, he has his own show, and likely even more popular than the others.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I'll give her a chance, many correspondents struggle to find style on Daily Show. I don't see her going on like some have from that show, but might be there for a bit and moving on.

My current favorite is John Oliver, of "The Bugle" fame.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
unclebobmartin said:
Whoever wrote this knows little about comedy. Munn's role was written to be played the way she played it, as the rational person overcome by the nuttiness around her. It wasn't the funniest Daily Show piece ever, but that wasn't Munn's fault.
I'd say obvious point is obvious but apparently nobody but one brand new member to the site noticed it.

300lb. Samoan said:
I think if anything is going to sink the show it'll be Jon's "old Jewish man" shtick which is quickly becoming more depressingly real than it is humorous.
Yeah lord knows that they haven't signed them on again till 2013 because of that old jewish man.

Both the Daily Show and Colbert Report are his children, ever since he took over the Daily Show it has done better and better.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Miumaru said:
Rigs83 said:
I use to watch AOTS and then she called every man who wasn't circumcised "disgusting" just to show the world that you can take a girl out of Kansas but you can't wash off the ignorance.
While the men themselves may be fine...its gross. Alot of people think that. I know I do. I would still be with an uncut man...but my enthusiasm may suffer.
Don't remember who, but someone once said "The decision to circumsize should not be up to the person, but up to the girls who have to do them"
I think having to squeeze something the size of a watermelon through the opening the size of a lemon is kind of gross but it is perfectly natural. If you are circumcised because your faith demands it than it is a way to prove your devotion. Most Americans do it because the Puritans in New England started it. The reasons New England Puritans were circumcising boys was solely because that semen carried a human being whole in miniature and thus masturbating killed unbaptized children. In the 21st century we know that is untrue but the UN recommends that men be circumcised to slow the spread of HIV, at least in Africa. As a person who respects people enough to purchase a condom and not use intravenous drugs I offer a low probability of spreading disease to my partner and hope they are the same.
[/youtube]

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
I've never liked her. She's not funny, clever, or even witty. Often I felt she came across as stiff and awkward. The only reason she got on AoTS is because she'd flash some tit to give nerds a rise and a reason to watch the show.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
I can't stand Olivia Munn. Sure she's hot but every time she opens her mouth she says something borderline retarded and I want to shove a live grenade in there just to shut her up. She's not funny in the slightest.