Gabe Newell Acknowledges Frustrations With Half-Life 3

spartandude

New member
Nov 24, 2009
2,721
0
0
guys stop trying to rush them! its been only 5 years with out pretty much ANY announcement about continuing a well love franchise that ended on a FUCKING CLIFF HANGER. they just need more time, it worked out well for duke nukem didnt it /sarcasm
 

Hiroshi Mishima

New member
Sep 25, 2008
407
0
0
"We try to go as fast as we can and we try to pick the things that we think are going to be most valuable to our customers"

This is something that I have a problem with. It's less aimed at Valve and more at the industry in general. When the company chooses what they think is valuable without consulting the consumers you get really bad decisions. Perhaps they're not so bad for the company itself, but it sure does get the consumer's dander up.

Forced co-op, sequels nobody asked for, new series instead of finishing a storyline in another series, and so forth. Mega Man Legends has never been finished despite so many asking for it. Mother 3 in Japan only despite tens of thousands of people writing letters and calling up and emailing Nintendo. How about remaking or re-releasing SquareEnix games over and over instead of making something new? Or redesigning a female character to be nothing more than eye-candy to pull in more male gamers? Or retconning the hell out of an established storyline during many years of milking a title or franchise until the original no longer exists?

I'm sorry, it's just.. the industry has really been upsetting me the last 10 years or so, and I'm getting a bit tired of excuses. If a company doesn't like what its fans are saying, maybe they should stop trying to pull in new ones, cause the same thing'll keep happening.


This really been off topic, and I apologize for this.
 

Falsename

New member
Oct 28, 2010
175
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
"Tell Me Mr Newel if you can,
You have destroyed so much (time)
What is it exactly that you have created?
Can you name even one thing?
...
I thought not."


Honestly no one is asking for a sequel anymore.... we're asking for an entire new game. So much time has past it's just ridiculous.

Look..... the (everyone play half life on saturday) didn't work out, (I helped), so let's hit them where it hurts. Their wallets!








NO ONE BUYS A STEAM GAME UNTIL HALF LIFE 3 IS RELEASED! NOTHING! MAKE THEM LOSE BUSINESS TILL THEY DELIVER WHAT THEY PROMISED!







I might be reading into it too much by Gabe's words sound like they're truly just not working on HL3. They're working on whatever is next in their list of things to do which isn't Half life 3.
Valve isn't going to work on HL3 till they've exhausted everything else they think of. I truly think that for HL3 we actually need to do something about it. It's like a lazy kid who's sitting on his ass all day (absolutely no reference to Gabe there), he won't do anything till you make him.
 

Falsename

New member
Oct 28, 2010
175
0
0
Akalabeth said:
Falsename said:
Valve isn't going to work on HL3 till they've exhausted everything else they think of. I truly think that for HL3 we actually need to do something about it. It's like a lazy kid who's sitting on his ass all day (absolutely no reference to Gabe there), he won't do anything till you make him.
What you need to do is go and play another game and stop caring about Valve and HL3 or HL2E3 or whatever. Seriously. If Valve doesn't care about their core franchise, why should anyone else?

Half life is a franchise a fair few people care about... just because Valve doesn't seem to care doesn't mean we automatically don't aswell.

And of course I play other games, I think everyone does. I don't care much about half life 2 (or 3) anymore, it's an old game. Still! The point stands.
 

Reaper195

New member
Jul 5, 2009
2,055
0
0
I remember reading an article a few years back, not long after Portal 1 had just come out, saying that Half-Life 3 would come out, and they didn't have any other projects planned. Half a decade later, I'm seeing many games from Valve. Maybe if the Half-Life games from 2 onwards had given any real story as to what the fuck was going on, most people wouldn't have much of a problem. But since the ending of 1, the games have become like Lost.
 

James Ennever

New member
Jul 11, 2011
162
0
0
TomLikesGuitar said:
Okay... so we have 2 choices here.

Either Valve releases Half Life 3 soon, and everyone complains that it's not awesome

or

Valve waits another 3 or 4 years and gives us an amazing sequel.

So pull your panties out of your asscrack and play something else you babies. Valve doesn't owe you jack shit, and gives us far more than any other company as far as service.
What can I play that is near the quality of a new half life game MW3? nope....portal 2? finished....team fortress 2? too many hats....I guess I will pack away my pc and xbox in a curboard for the next few years.
 

IckleMissMayhem

New member
Oct 18, 2009
939
0
0
Mygaffer said:
IckleMissMayhem said:
Mygaffer said:
IckleMissMayhem said:
Half of me thinks they won't/don't want to do any more HL, but are afraid of the inevitable rabid fanboy backlash to make such a statement, hence the endless non-commital responses on the subject.
We are pretty much guaranteed to see more Half Life, publishers NEVER let hugely popular franchises die except in extreme circumstances, case in point the Watchmen prequels.

Its just a matter of when and I think its far enough into the future that it will still piss off core fans.
I don't think any game is "guaranteed" until it hits the shelves, but then I've a reputation for being ever so slightly cynical about some things, especially when it comes for games that haven't even been announced. Especially potential sequels or remakes that the deelopers seem really unhappy giving solid information about.

Basically, I'm not holding my breath.
I will bet you $100 we'll see Half-Life 3 by 2015, at least.
You're on, Mr/Mrs Internet-person-I-probably-won't-ever-meet-or-be-tracked-down-by... Unless you work for valve, in which case, bet's off. I ain't losing imaginary funny money, thank you very much...
 

TomLikesGuitar

New member
Jul 6, 2010
1,003
0
0
James Ennever said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
Okay... so we have 2 choices here.

Either Valve releases Half Life 3 soon, and everyone complains that it's not awesome

or

Valve waits another 3 or 4 years and gives us an amazing sequel.

So pull your panties out of your asscrack and play something else you babies. Valve doesn't owe you jack shit, and gives us far more than any other company as far as service.
What can I play that is near the quality of a new half life game MW3? nope....portal 2? finished....team fortress 2? too many hats....I guess I will pack away my pc and xbox in a curboard for the next few years.
Arkham Asylum/City, L.A. Noire, Sonic Generations, MW3/BF3/GoW3, Eve Online, Minecraft, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Ass Creed, Random Sports Game, Red Dead Redemption, Old Bethesda games, Mass Effects, Rock Bands/ Guitar Hero's...

If none of those games interest you or you played them all then you're a fanboy/cynical fuck who needs to spend some time outside anyway...
 

Porecomesis

New member
Jul 10, 2010
322
0
0
You know, I'm beginning to think that they're deliberately avoiding Half-Life 3 because they're having too much fun with Team Fortress 2 and the like.

Let's think about this: the Half-Life series is pretty depressing and there's not a lot of levity or humour in it. It's kind of bleak. Now, Team Fortress 2 is bright and colourful and it has plenty of dark humour to go around. Sure, Half-Life is fun to play, much like Team Fortress 2, but Team Fortress 2 is fun to make. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like making those comics.
 

James Ennever

New member
Jul 11, 2011
162
0
0
TomLikesGuitar said:
James Ennever said:
TomLikesGuitar said:
Okay... so we have 2 choices here.

Either Valve releases Half Life 3 soon, and everyone complains that it's not awesome

or

Valve waits another 3 or 4 years and gives us an amazing sequel.

So pull your panties out of your asscrack and play something else you babies. Valve doesn't owe you jack shit, and gives us far more than any other company as far as service.
What can I play that is near the quality of a new half life game MW3? nope....portal 2? finished....team fortress 2? too many hats....I guess I will pack away my pc and xbox in a curboard for the next few years.
Arkham Asylum/City, L.A. Noire, Sonic Generations, MW3/BF3/GoW3, Eve Online, Minecraft, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Ass Creed, Random Sports Game, Red Dead Redemption, Old Bethesda games, Mass Effects, Rock Bands/ Guitar Hero's...

If none of those games interest you or you played them all then you're a fanboy/cynical fuck who needs to spend some time outside anyway...

MW3? I could just watch transformers and get the same intellectual stimulation, EA sports (insert name here), are you retarded?.....

Skyrim and Minecraft are only worth getting once all the dlc and bugs are out?
Rock Bands/ Guitar Hero's... Do you piss mountain dew? Just asking
L.A. Noire, I will not get this until the developers are reinstated under a fair contract
Sonic Generations????.sonic, nuff said
Well I guess Batman AC is a possibility but online pass for cat woman?

Red Dead Redemption, Old Bethesda games, OK granted I LOVED these games but again beaten
Bioshock infinite looks promising though, and I buy every humble indie bundle. So I am not too cynical if I give untested developers a chance.
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
Hmmm, well I've suspected this for a while to be honest. I've never been a Half-Life fan but it's popular enough where it's impossible for me not to know something about it.

The problem with Half-Life is that it's gotten to the point where they really need to wrap up the story and have left people hanging. The thing is that throwing wierd stuff out there is easier than tying it all up in a satisfying manner. A lof of the stuff with G-man, not to mention the entire invasion scenario, makes tying it all up a bit of a chore, and I'd imagine part of the problem for Valve is that they have written themselves into a corner. I don't think getting a new writer would really help the situation much as they would face all the same problems as well as the issue of detachment from not having been part of the initial story.

What's more with the passage of time and other projects, it wouldn't surprise me that Valve kind of lost a lot of it's fire for the series without really planning to. They don't really have the energy that they had when they did the earlier installments.

Up until this point I think the issue was that people assumed it was in development (if it wasn't outright stated to be at some point) but probably never was more than an idea in the "we need to tie this up eventually" sense. Also as time goes on, it does become less and less likely they will be able to recapture the original magic.

I know it won't reassure people, but I kind of think people need to just give up on Half-Life. I'd hate to do it in the same place, but like a lot of video game series with promise, ranging from "Alternate Reality" to "Simon The Sorceror" it's probably going to be left hanging.

This is incidently also why I prefer games to be self-contained and not designed as part of series/franchises from the beginning. I don't mind sequels as long as they are self contained, which includes tying up their own loose ends so the story could potentially stop after each installment.

For the record I'd actually like to see Valve move away from shooters, ever since I heard about their cancelled Faerie RPG, I've wondered what they could do with a deeply statistical RPG experience. Of course to be honest I'd probably be disappointed as their depth usually comes in terms of physics, pacing, and visuals, more than mechanics or number crunching.
 

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
1,206
0
0
Draconalis said:
Andy Chalk said:
Think about that for a second. There are high school students today who weren't born when Half-Life hit the shelves.
Yeah... but any highschoolers who weren't born when the game came out skipped grades and shouldn't, by age bracket, be in highschool yet.
Oh, contrair, man with (possibly) no hair! It all depends on what school system you follow. For instance, in NSW, high school does in fact start at 13.

Personally, I at least take solace in the fact that they are at least thinking about it. We will get HL3. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday...

(I should really stop with the Simpsons references...)
 

Draconalis

New member
Sep 11, 2008
1,586
0
0
Porygon-2000 said:
Oh, contrair, man with (possibly) no hair! It all depends on what school system you follow. For instance, in NSW, high school does in fact start at 13.
Assume NSW has the same rules about what the cut off date is for admittance, they would have had to be born before august 98 to be 13 and in highschool, and thus they still would have been born when the game came out.

The claim has to wait a year before it's true.
 

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
1,206
0
0
Draconalis said:
Porygon-2000 said:
Oh, contrair, man with (possibly) no hair! It all depends on what school system you follow. For instance, in NSW, high school does in fact start at 13.
Assume NSW has the same rules about what the cut off date is for admittance, they would have had to be born before august 98 to be 13 and in highschool, and thus they still would have been born when the game came out.

The claim has to wait a year before it's true.
They don't. In Australia, the school year starts in January. Ergo, there are 14-year-olds in high school, right now (well, not right now, it's Saturday). My brother is one of them.

Boom. Australian-Logic-Shot.
 

TomLikesGuitar

New member
Jul 6, 2010
1,003
0
0
James Ennever said:
MW3? I could just watch transformers and get the same intellectual stimulation
Ah, I guess you don't like shooters. Clearly you are an intellectual. I presume that you will show this level of brilliance and lack of brutality in the mature way you present your arguments henceforth, and that you will indeed refrain from insul...

EA sports (insert name here), are you retarded?.....
I stand corrected. Well, it appears you don't like sports games either. And apparently those of us who do are retarded. You're not shaping up to be a closed minded gamer at all.

Skyrim and Minecraft are only worth getting once all the dlc and bugs are out?
You would like Minecraft you intellectual hipster, you.

Rock Bands/ Guitar Hero's... Do you piss mountain dew? Just asking
You really need to get laid ;). It'll take a lot of this unwarranted edge off.

But seriously, I love your arguments. It's just straight up "I DON'T LIKE IT CUZ ITS BAD AND IM TOO IGNORANT TO EVEN TRY TO ACCEPT NEW THINGS!"

Good stuff... good stuff.

L.A. Noire, I will not get this until the developers are reinstated under a fair contract
I respect this. If you weren't being a dick for no reason I'd say I respect you.

Sonic Generations????.sonic, nuff said
As someone who has been playing games since the beginnings of Sonic, I have to say that if you like old school Sonic, you should try Generations. If you don't like old school Sonic, then you suck.

Well I guess Batman AC is a possibility but online pass for cat woman?
The game is still good without her.

Red Dead Redemption, Old Bethesda games, OK granted I LOVED these games but again beaten
Bioshock infinite looks promising though, and I buy every humble indie bundle. So I am not too cynical if I give untested developers a chance.
I still think you are too cynical. Cynics are those people who don't give something a fair chance because of their preconceptions and insane expectations. The most cynical person in the world could buy every indie game ever, and he would just come to the conclusion that they all suck.

Let's be honest, the humble indie bundle isn't always the cream of the crop as far as games go... However, I feel like you are the type of gamer that would pass up something mainstream because it makes you feel superior. (Don't worry, a good 90% of the Escapist are gaming hipsters.) I can tell it makes you feel superior because of the ridiculously unnecessarily abrasive terminology you use the second those games come up.

tl;dr - You should play Bastion if you haven't yet. I feel like it's so non-mainstream that you might actually give it a chance.
 

James Ennever

New member
Jul 11, 2011
162
0
0
TomLikesGuitar said:
James Ennever said:
MW3? I could just watch transformers and get the same intellectual stimulation
Ah, I guess you don't like shooters. Clearly you are an intellectual. I presume that you will show this level of brilliance and lack of brutality in the mature way you present your arguments henceforth, and that you will indeed refrain from insul...

EA sports (insert name here), are you retarded?.....
I stand corrected. Well, it appears you don't like sports games either. And apparently those of us who do are retarded. You're not shaping up to be a closed minded gamer at all.

Skyrim and Minecraft are only worth getting once all the dlc and bugs are out?
You would like Minecraft you intellectual hipster, you.

Rock Bands/ Guitar Hero's... Do you piss mountain dew? Just asking
You really need to get laid ;). It'll take a lot of this unwarranted edge off.

But seriously, I love your arguments. It's just straight up "I DON'T LIKE IT CUZ ITS BAD AND IM TOO IGNORANT TO EVEN TRY TO ACCEPT NEW THINGS!"

Good stuff... good stuff.

L.A. Noire, I will not get this until the developers are reinstated under a fair contract
I respect this. If you weren't being a dick for no reason I'd say I respect you.

Sonic Generations????.sonic, nuff said
As someone who has been playing games since the beginnings of Sonic, I have to say that if you like old school Sonic, you should try Generations. If you don't like old school Sonic, then you suck.

Well I guess Batman AC is a possibility but online pass for cat woman?
The game is still good without her.

Red Dead Redemption, Old Bethesda games, OK granted I LOVED these games but again beaten
Bioshock infinite looks promising though, and I buy every humble indie bundle. So I am not too cynical if I give untested developers a chance.
I still think you are too cynical. Cynics are those people who don't give something a fair chance because of their preconceptions and insane expectations. The most cynical person in the world could buy every indie game ever, and he would just come to the conclusion that they all suck.

Let's be honest, the humble indie bundle isn't always the cream of the crop as far as games go... However, I feel like you are the type of gamer that would pass up something mainstream because it makes you feel superior. (Don't worry, a good 90% of the Escapist are gaming hipsters.) I can tell it makes you feel superior because of the ridiculously unnecessarily abrasive terminology you use the second those games come up.

tl;dr - You should play Bastion if you haven't yet. I feel like it's so non-mainstream that you might actually give it a chance.
I like halo for the story and art, I know that makes me a hypocrite but?. I keep off the multiplayer and only in firefight?? plus bioshock and deus ex?.

Plus considering that in COD you do not have to aim to get kill and all your kills are arabs, I feel better about my halo fetish. In short I like GOOD shooters that have some originality, and do not make me feel bad at shooting the father of three.
I liked bastion.. And I will admit liked guitar hero number 3, all the rest are to cash grabby though, And all the good songs are dlc.
No catwoman? No me simple plus it is just rude to hold a component of the game printed on the disk hostage. What if you live in an area where xbox live is to laggy like in the southern most pint of Australia? Then you are screwed.
 

Hiroshi Mishima

New member
Sep 25, 2008
407
0
0
TomLikesGuitar, I feel someone may have hit a nerve with how adamantly you pick apart James' message(s).

I myself see nothing remotely interesting about the Battlefield or Call of Duty/Modern Warefare games. It's less to do with being intellectual and more to do with my not liking twitch-shooters, lackluster single-player campaigns, and games that focus on multiplayer above single-player.. especially when the SP feels more like an afterthought. Gears of War, while interesting, is so hard to make out any of the action cause of the colour-schemes of rust, dirt, grey, and blood.

IE, just cause I don't like your game doesn't mean you need to list a buncha reasons why I'm wrong. Especially if I prefer singleplayer to multiplayer.


Anyways, I do actually have lots of games to play while I wait, which is one of the reasons I rarely say anything about HL3. Ironically, most of them are games older than the Xbox, or even HL2. I really need to go through my backlog..