Gabe Newell Acknowledges Frustrations With Half-Life 3

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Because lord knows that keeping tight lips with Half Life 2 ended so well. Oh wait no it didn't! Someone ended up hacking Valve and releasing the source code about a year before the game hit store shelves. Man it sure would be a "pity" if something like that happened again. Those who don't learn from history I suppose . . .

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
What is he talking about? Nobody is rushing them to make a sequel, people just want them to finish the Half Life 2 episodic series.
Now I get the feeling that if they're going to continue the series they might skip episode 3 and make a full sequel that would have Gordon wake up years after the events of Half Life 2.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm just going to throw this out there: Half Life 3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever. It'll take twelve years to develop, during which it'll be used as a metaphoric answer to "When will this thing that's never going to happen happen?" and the company developing it will declare bankruptcy. Several months after said bankruptcy, there will be a surprise announcement with a release date set in late December. The hype will then be renewed, with all sorts of titillating trailers featuring plenty of disconnected gameplay footage. The game will be released on time, will be a thorough disappointment, and will be almost completely forgotten by New Years.

See you all in December 2020.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm surprised fans are still taking this. It's been years since Episode 2 came out with about as big a cliff hanger as you can get and they won't tell their fans anything at all. I'm about ready to wash my hands of the Half-Life series at this point.

*I realize he's talking about HL3 here but seriously, how about you talk about Episode 3 at some point? I really don't care about HL3 until I know how HL2 ends.

I loved the half-life series and the episodes but at this point, I just don't care anymore and I can't imagine I'm the only one.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
...not bothered in the slightest. I kinda wish people would just let Valve move on at this point. It'd be a lot easier if Gabe just said, "no, we're kinda done with that" to solidify it, push fans along, and let Valve move onto other things. The ending for HL2 was kinda a kick in the groin, but still...

You know, who honestly cares at this point? Now, that I think about it, there are only a few ways for the Half Life series to end. Either Gordon figures out whats up with the whole G-Man thing and saves the universe, or he fails and the universe is screwed. It'd be interesting to see how he gets to that point, but at this rate, I doubt they'd satisfy people. Too many ideas and theories have formed in their heads for Valve to successfully reel them in. Which is why I plan to keep my hype at baseline levels and if the game is ever released, not that it really matters now. Either they release it or they don't.

Indignator

Oct 26, 2011
lancar said:
Akin to politicians, Valve is going the "never answer yes or no" approach to any questions about Half Life sequels. To say that this is frustrating is the understatement of the century.

Seriously, wtf? Just say "no, we're not working on it right now and we don't know if or when we will". It's super easy, and would certainly satisfy me.
You can only feed the hype so far with these DISRESPECTFUL tactics. There is a reason there is so much politician hate in the world nowadays. Eventually, people will have had enough and your reputation will suffer from it.

Please, Valve. You're one of the few "good" game devs in the business right now. Don't make people want to hate you, or worse, start to feel apathy for you.
Couldn't agree more. This is where the DNF analogy breaks down. DNF was ANNOUNCED and IN DEVELOPMENT for over a decade. Valve won't even say if a single line of code was written thus far. As far as I'm concerned Episode 3 and/or Half-Life 3 is NOT in development and a simple acknowledgment on Valve's part would provide much needed closure. Instead we get non-answers like this. Disrespectful is indeed a fitting description.

Captcha - "assHot Seventieth" LOL

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Eri said:
I'm so tired of hearing other people whine about 3 that I've long since stopped caring if it ever sees the light of day.
I'm so tired of hearing other people who are supposedly tired of something and feel so superior about it they have to tell about it to everyone they can. If this is something you don't care about anymore, just say that. Don't imply that no-one should care.
I'M so tired of hearing other people whine about 3 that I'VE long since stopped caring if it ever sees the light of day. No one implied anything about other people. Also this post is hypocritical.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Okay... so we have 2 choices here.

Either Valve releases Half Life 3 soon, and everyone complains that it's not awesome

or

Valve waits another 3 or 4 years and gives us an amazing sequel.

So pull your panties out of your asscrack and play something else you babies. Valve doesn't owe you jack shit, and gives us far more than any other company as far as service.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Why is it the only thing The Escapist takes away from that rather lengthy interview Penny Arcade had with Gaben is his rather short and info-light speech on Half-Life 3?

I mean, for Christ's sake, Newell talked about biometrics, the potentiality of them building their own hardware, Valve experimenting with wearable computers (some with virtual 100-inch displays), his views on free-to-play and future forms of content sharing and match making, and a host of other, FAR more interesting, topics.

I don't understand what's been going on with the Escapist news room lately. Come on people! Just give us good reporting, you don't need to sensationalize it.

Viridian said:
The title on the home page:
Gabe Newell Acknowledges Half-Life 3
The title on the article page:
Gabe Newell Acknowledges Frustrations With Half-Life 3
Oh you dicks.
The Escapist has been doing this a LOT lately. Especially with Valve related news. The last one on the front page read "Valve's Portal 2 mod crashes Skyrim" while the actual article title was "Valve's Portal 2 mod "crashes down" into Skyrim."

I don't know, might just be me, but the Escapist news items seem to be wandering into sensationalist, even trollish, territory lately. I hope it's not on purpose, but considering the number of them popping up lately (especially in regards to Valve, Steam, or console news) I'm starting to wonder.

TheNaut131 said:
...not bothered in the slightest. I kinda wish people would just let Valve move on at this point. It'd be a lot easier if Gabe just said, "no, we're kinda done with that" to solidify it, push fans along, and let Valve move onto other things. The ending for HL2 was kinda a kick in the groin, but still...

You know, who honestly cares at this point? Now, that I think about it, there are only a few ways for the Half Life series to end. Either Gordon figures out whats up with the whole G-Man thing and saves the universe, or he fails and the universe is screwed. It'd be interesting to see how he gets to that point, but at this rate, I doubt they'd satisfy people. Too many ideas and theories have formed in their heads for Valve to successfully reel them in. Which is why I plan to keep my hype at baseline levels and if the game is ever released, not that it really matters now.
I care. I want to see another chapter in the saga. :(

Also, I always thought the only option for just about any story was either the protagonists win or the protagonists lose. Just sayin'.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
That's almost a BRIAN BLESSED beard.

Here's an idea Gabe, find yourself a science fiction writer, preferably one with a good background in horror; and let him write you a script.

I'm sure there's a few authors out there who would write you something truly stunning. Then all you have to do is program it. :)
Laidlaw can write a good piece of horror, believe it or not. And I imagine it wouldn't be hard for Wolpaw and Faliszek to pen a frightening, if witty, bit of horror.

Still, the more (talented) writers, the better. Right?

Feb 13, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Laidlaw can write a good piece of horror, believe it or not. And I imagine it wouldn't be hard for Wolpaw and Faliszek to pen a frightening, if witty, bit of horror.
*twitch* There's a minor difference between journalism and story telling - one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

Unless it's the Sun, of course.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
"Gabe Newell acknowledges Half Life 3"

-reads article, no new news on Half Life 3-

Seriously though, Bioware was able to develop a trilogy of games in between the release of Half Life 2 ep 2 and now. Not to mention development on 2 dragon age games, yet Valve can't even give us a snippet on wtf is going on with the game.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
While it really is frustrating that we really have no real news about when we will get HL3 and Ep.3, I've always seen valve as like the Stanley Kubrick of game developers. They have a philosophy of taking things slowly, meticulously work their game from the ground up and are tight lipped of any development until they are sure that their game is ready.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I could care less really. I'm sorry to sound so cynical, I have a love-hate relationship with Valve. I wasn't impressed with Episode 2 despite the wait, I was disappointed with Portal 2 (it was still good though, don't get me wrong) and now they keep adding things to TF2 that we don't need.

The Half-Life series is now Half-Dead to me.....wait that's the same thing.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
ThaBenMan said:
It reminds me of when people always used to pester me to draw them stuff when they heard that I liked to draw -_-
I know that feel, bro.
On a related note, I'd prefer the next Half Life to be made without haste, so as to not sacrifice any aspect that makes the series great.
Take your dear sweet time, Valve, don't give in to pressure by rushing the creative process. ;D

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I would honestly rather not hear a thing about it until about 6 months before release. They get asked in practically every interview, and someone with inferential ability of a 5-year-old would be able to tell they're working on it.