Gabe Newell: Apple Could "Redefine" Consoles

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Jnat said:
It will be just as good/bad as the 360, delaying the next generation a couple of years. At least that's what I think.
Apple does 3 new iOS gaming devices a year. Each one has major leaps forward in graphical capabilities (iPhone 4s has 7x the graphics performance of the iPhone 4) and they are all backwards compatible. Microsoft is taking 7 years to roll out a new console. If apple does enter the console race... God help sony and microsoft.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Garrett Richey said:
Vankraken said:
Yes lets enter the Console market when you already make an OS and computers that are well known for being platform of choice for computer gaming. /trollface

Seriously apple's design philosophy of release another version every year is ill suited for the long cycle time of consoles. In addition Apple appeals to the casual consumer (go into an Apple store and you will see a lot of elderly people, middle aged moms, and families) and why would you want to get into a casual gamer war against Nintendo?
So the fact that a company updates products every year in areas where ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE DOES THIS! means that they would in a completely different market?

Also I'm sure all the musicians/recording studios/movie studios that use Apple products and software fit well within your definition of casual consumers, right?

Just because you don't like something does not mean it is inferior. I know that I could do slightly more with an Android powered phone, but the fact is that I simply don't want to waste my time installing custom ROMs and messing around with my phones firmware to get it to do what I want when I can buy something I'm happy with out of the box!
Yes i know Apple has a solid market in the media industry but that is not the majority of its current consumer base. Apple is known for a lot of things but it is not known for serious gaming and its design philosophy isn't in the same mindset as that of your typical console or PC gamer. If Apple were to release a console it would be entering the casual market and going head to head with Nintendo and honestly there isn't enough reliable casual consumer market to justify the massive money investment to develop a gaming console when the current market is already PS3 and 360 dominated while Nintendo holds it own market of casual games. Currently the casual market has sort of deflated as the Wii crazy has died off somewhat and unlike your more traditional market, you can't be sure the next generation of console is going to get repeat business from the casual consumer.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Nautical Honors Society said:
Has the sterotypical notion of the "Apple owner" really become so concrete that we must make sure everyone knows that we don't own any of their products to maintain our image in this niche society that we have created?

I don't care if anyone does or does not own an Apple product, but I wish that people wouldn't be so judgemental of the things people spend their money on, so then maybe these disclaimers would not be needed.

OT: I would not by an apple console.
You meant for this to be hilarious, correct?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
brainslurper said:
And episode 3 was going to come out in 2007.
HL2: Episode 2 came out in October 2007.

Thing is Gaben said a "Trilogy that will conclude by Christmas 2007"

Erm, trilogy is three games, right:

(1) Half Life 2
(2) HL2: Episode 1
(3) HL2: Episode 2

By the end of episode 2 everything is all wrapped up for the most part with the entire plot line around City 17 completely finished they are now going to a completely new place on a different line of inquiry. It is the beginning of a new sequence of events.

I'm not so champing for another Half Life episode because I feel the 2 we had did it all.

I expect Half Life 3 to debut the successor to the Source Engine and be as different as HL2 was from HL1.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
like we really need another console.....
and im sure it will suceed, jut look at the iphone zombies (and i dont mean people who bought iphone for it being good but people who bought it for it being apple)
However i somehow got a feeling that the previuos innovator (i forgot his name, yay, the one that died recently) somehow hold apple of console market before, because there doesnt seem to be any reason why they didnt jump that wagon yet. oh well we will see, not that i am going to use it anyway.
i really dont want apple to get any big share in the industry (too bad it already has) beucase of their policy of "user is too stupid so we wont tell him anything and we even deny him ability to find it out too". Oh and just look how that worked, is that not a proof that average user IS stupid?

I suspect that for the price of that iMac I could have (if I was old enough and knowledgeable enough) constructed a PC many times more powerful.
You are correct. coupel years ago one guy tried to sell me a desktop mac, so just to prove his "great price buy" "Fact" wrong i showed him i could build 3 computers that would be more powerful and even customizable afterwards for same price. he didnt try to sell me that mac afterwards.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
:/ Personally, I do think that if Apple went into the console market at this time, they'd either need to buy over a lot of extremely good Third-Party support, get the best hardware to produce the best graphical capabilities, and produce the best online multiplayer imaginable, otherwise the PS3 and 360 will laugh it off like they did the Wii.

No offense to the Wii, but it survives mainly because it caters to a market that the 360 and PS3 don't. I doubt anyone that has a Wii will have interest in getting an Apple alternative, so its only other option is to participate in the arms race between PS3 and 360 for best games, both in graphics and in gameplay, and that seems like a daunting task in itself.

As it stands, Apple could stand to earn a lot of money from the lucritive console market if it pulls off this kind of stunt successfully. If it fails, though, it could take a huge blow, so unless Apple has something really big in reserve, I don't think we'll be seeing any miracle machine from Apple anytime soon.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
An Apple console ? Interesting idea.

Apple has many devices and services that could co-operate with a console,if you think about it.

They already have the App Store from which we could download demos and games,perhaps we could also use iPhones and iPod touches as extra controllers...

But for the console to succed,it must fullfil the following:

1)Have at least 1 AAA exclusive franchise.
2)Have multiplatform support comparable to xbox360 and ps3,not like wii.
3)Be up to par on terms of graphics with the rest consoles of its generation
4)Have an affordable price.

Let's see...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Stavros Dimou said:
But for the console to succed,it must fullfil the following:

1)Have at least 1 AAA exclusive franchise.
2)Have multiplatform support comparable to xbox360 and ps3,not like wii.
3)Be up to par on terms of graphics with the rest consoles of its generation
4)Have an affordable price.

Let's see...
If that is true, how the hell was Wii a success?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Griffolion said:
Mate, that's a typical response of an Apple fanchild to someone whose put their products down. I wouldn't worry about it. They can't take the fact that their products may not be the flawed, overrated shiny toys they really are and thus blame the user for any problems encountered.

Broke it? You're using it wrong.

Dropped call? You're holding it wrong.

Missed Alarm? You're just... wrong.
Look, iDevices are far from fucking perfect, so don't make the straw man argument that they are beyond criticism;
-unreasonable price increments between models with subtle differences
-No SD card slot or any upgradable anything
-Their Ideological opposition to Adobe's flash
-Their ideological opposition to real buttons, even just a single functional button

See, these are LEGITIMATE ISSUES, except the same unscientific hyperbole is regurgitated every time when it comes of bashing iDevices.

If you drop something delicate and it breaks... only a manchild would say that is anyone else's fault but their own. They never marketed themselves as durable items you could carelessly drop without worry, protective cases are well advertised and advised. Things like iPod Touch are ridiculously small anyway (only 100g.. seriously) I have mine integrated into a holder that acts as my wallet, it's easy to protect these things and frankly it's the way they work.

You also really do have to rig the "test" to get the death grip effect, it's not a case of "failing to hold the phone in a very particular way" it's a case of DELIBERATELY holding it in a way you can cause the signal bar to drop from barely enough to none. Sensationalist twaddle. Snidely this is connected to AT&T's poor coverage that is as bad for Android phones on AT&T, yellow journalism at its most predictable.

You know it is officially a bullshit media circus when it is dubbed "antennagate"

Are you serious? Phone has some vague connection issues, therefore it deserves the same suffix as the Watergate Scandal, that lead to the impeachment and resignation of the President of the United States of America? No. That's the media getting hysterical. This is the most trivial thing that the "-gate" suffix has EVER been so widely affixed to.

And the date thing... yeah, cry me a river. I remember a time (err, 3 years ago) when it was your own god damn responsibility to adjust all your own clocks, now it is somehow some black stain on all Apple products - reason alone to avoid all of them - because they failed to do this job for you. *Slow-clap* Wow. It isn't perfect, it's like having your own personal secretary who makes a small mistake... I feel so betrayed (/sarc)

All I see here is people holding unfair prejudice against technology for WHO makes it, rather than just on the merits of the tech and service in and of that. I don't like Microsoft yet I have a windows PC and Xbox 360. If I have anything bad to say about either I won't let their "attitude" prejudice my conclusions.

I gave all the competition a chance: Archos, Zune, PSP... none came close to delivering what I wanted, and iPod Touch, it blew all of those out of the water.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Satsuki666 said:
Its not a myth apple even outright admitted that that was an issue.
But it's so adorable to watch people pretend it didn't happen even after that was admitted by apple.
Reminds me of that stoning scene from Life of Brian:

"HE said it again! There he admitted it!"
"but there's nothing wrong with saying Jehova"
"Look, you're only making things worse!"

Apple admitted they had the same issue that EVERY OTHER PHONE HAS, yet the take away message is apparently "Apple 'admits' they have exceptionally bad problem".

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Treblaine said:
Tablets in the 90s are so different conceptually from the tablets of today they almost desere a different name. For one the design brief back then allowed them to be uncomfortably heavy (up to three kilos) basically a laptop except the screen bolted straight on the front. They were never successful as it KILLED you trying to hold this thing for any useful length of time and were generally limited to a stylus interface. It was shit, but everyone liked the idea of a nice flat computing device... they just thought laptop tech was the only path to go.

We all knew what we wanted, Star Trek TNG in the 1980's knew with things like this:

They wanted a thin little touch screen interface minimalist kind of device. But the laptop-sandwich route was going nowhere fast.

This new "generation" of tablets have come from the other direction, instead of trying to make computers even smaller and more power efficient (kinda futile) it went from the other direction of making phones bigger and more powerful. This worked, and the iPad 2 is just 1.3lbs, or 600 grams yet has 10 hours battery life while still great capability in real world applications, like how pretty does Infinity Blade look.
So what you are saying, is that tablets existed since the 90s and that they became sexy now.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
adamtm said:
Treblaine said:
Tablets in the 90s are so different conceptually from the tablets of today they almost deserve a different name. For one the design brief back then allowed them to be uncomfortably heavy (up to three kilos) basically a laptop except the screen bolted straight on the front. They were never successful as it KILLED you trying to hold this thing for any useful length of time and were generally limited to a stylus interface. It was shit, but everyone liked the idea of a nice flat computing device... they just thought laptop tech was the only path to go.

We all knew what we wanted, Star Trek TNG in the 1980's knew with things like this:

They wanted a thin little touch screen interface minimalist kind of device. But the laptop-sandwich route was going nowhere fast.

This new "generation" of tablets have come from the other direction, instead of trying to make computers even smaller and more power efficient (kinda futile) it went from the other direction of making phones bigger and more powerful. This worked, and the iPad 2 is just 1.3lbs, or 600 grams yet has 10 hours battery life while still great capability in real world applications, like how pretty does Infinity Blade look.
So what you are saying, is that tablets existed since the 90s and that they became sexy now.
Don't know what you mean by sexy in the broad context you use, but CONCEPTUALLY tablets were desired since the 1980's even. In the 90's and early 2000's they were there but the products were not sexy as they failed to realise how much the concept failed as:
-it was so heavy (as heavy as a soldier's rifle) you couldn't hold it unsupported
-the battery was so poor you had to keep it plugged in usually (not really portable then)
-the interface was too much of an adaptation of Mouse + keyboard interface and suffered for it

Part of what defines a Tablet is how everything else serves its maximum portability design intentions. It must be light, it must last-long on battery and the interface must work JUST with touchscreen or it defeats the purpose of being a tablet. And it was a paradigm shift in design approach that was pivotal as it made Tablets PRACTICAL. Key is it realised that they were "computers" but they were NOT computers in the same sense of a PC/Desktop/Mac.

And THIS is why I admire Apple so much, they are able to nail this design when Microsoft and so many others stumbled around clueless for so many years without a clue. They are able to think outside the box and get the technology work for their design goals not the inverse. And that is why I think it would be amazing if Apple got into the home-console gaming business, there is no guarantee that they will, but if they do I guarantee they'll do something that will make you go "why didn't everyone always do it that way!?".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Treblaine said:
Apple admitted they had the same issue that EVERY OTHER PHONE HAS, yet the take away message is apparently "Apple 'admits' they have exceptionally bad problem".
Of course, that's false, so take away from it what you will.

Seriously, don't play damage control unless you're actually Apple PR. Tech sites were all over this. I'm also yet to see any smart phone that need a case to stop signal loss when held in a "normal" fashion.

But I suppose if you want to believe PR, even PR that lies, I can't strictly stop you.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Treblaine said:
Of course, that's false, so take away from it what you will.

Seriously, don't play damage control unless you're actually Apple PR. Tech sites were all over this. I'm also yet to see any smart phone that need a case to stop signal loss when held in a "normal" fashion.

But I suppose if you want to believe PR, even PR that lies, I can't strictly stop you.
Yeah, all over the "tech sites" full of nothing a load of dime-a-dozen pundits getting caught up in the hype talking technically illiterate tosh.

Why can't they just man up and say "iPhone is good, but not £940/$1300-per-contract good". Enough of these weasel attacks over the antenna, that's just a cowardly way to say "I can't afford the best tech, so I'll follow any vague story that bashes it".

A lie repeated often enough doesn't make it true. The truth of the matter is the "antennagate" is blown ridiculously out of proportion, iPhone does NOT have its signal strength significantly affected by how you would normally hold it. I won't tolerate such technically illiterate nonsense be spread by ANYONE about ANYTHING. If it's iPhone today, it's ANY device tomorrow.

See, people get the crazy idea that if they say things on forums and nobody challenges them then they must me right, that's conformational bias for you. That's what I see all over the media circus. I don't own an iPhone (too expensive) but I see what people are doing, I see how they can use the same fallacious logic against anything they don't like because it got too much attention and adoration.

"I'm also yet to see any smart phone that need a case to stop signal loss when held in a "normal" fashion."

Me neither... and I've seen the iPhone.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Treblaine said:
brainslurper said:
And episode 3 was going to come out in 2007.
HL2: Episode 2 came out in October 2007.

Thing is Gaben said a "Trilogy that will conclude by Christmas 2007"

Erm, trilogy is three games, right:

(1) Half Life 2
(2) HL2: Episode 1
(3) HL2: Episode 2

By the end of episode 2 everything is all wrapped up for the most part with the entire plot line around City 17 completely finished they are now going to a completely new place on a different line of inquiry. It is the beginning of a new sequence of events.

I'm not so champing for another Half Life episode because I feel the 2 we had did it all.

I expect Half Life 3 to debut the successor to the Source Engine and be as different as HL2 was from HL1.
In what way did episode 2 tie anything up? In the last 10 minutes it opened more mysteries about gman then half life 2 and episode 1 combined. Valve has already stated that they are going to continue upgrading the existing source engine rather then making a new one. Portal 2 looked about as good as I can imagine any game to. While it would be easier for them working on a new engine (Do some research on how the falling apart storage chamber was done in the beginning of portal 2) as long as they are fine with going through that, I see no reason for them to make a new engine.