Gabe Newell confirms no Half Life at the VGAs. :( [UPDATED, he has now confirmed it]

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
I'm getting annoyed that people still think it's going to happen. It's been seven years since Half-Life 2 first came out, four years since Episode 2 came out. Get over it. Yes, Valve makes great games, yes, Half-Life 2 is an amazing story-driven shooter. No, Episode 3/Half-Life 3 would never be able to live up to the expectations all the fans have of it now. There is so much hype behind it that even if it were literally the greatest game ever to be conceived (meaning no game even in the future would be able to surpass it), it still wouldn't be good enough for the fans.

Captcha: Ithate 5/15; Actually, it's 12/10, but close enough, Captcha. Close enough.
Oh hush you. This isn't like Duke Nukem where we want 14 years of advances and improvements. Valve has found the formula that makes HL great, and that's what we want from them. All we want is to finish the story, and maybe a few new tricks along the way to keep it fresh.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I'm getting annoyed that people still think it's going to happen. It's been seven years since Half-Life 2 first came out, four years since Episode 2 came out. Get over it. Yes, Valve makes great games, yes, Half-Life 2 is an amazing story-driven shooter. No, Episode 3/Half-Life 3 would never be able to live up to the expectations all the fans have of it now. There is so much hype behind it that even if it were literally the greatest game ever to be conceived (meaning no game even in the future would be able to surpass it), it still wouldn't be good enough for the fans.

Captcha: Ithate 5/15; Actually, it's 12/10, but close enough, Captcha. Close enough.
These days, I actually think its the opposite. Its been so long coming that honestly nobody really cares. Occassionally, someone comes late to the party and is like "HEY GAIZ I JUST PLAYED THIS AWESOME GAME CALLED HALF-LIFE 2 ANYONE HEARD OF IT?!" and then laughs at how long the sequel is in coming, but most people who would at all be interested in its announcement LONG ago played and got over Half-Life 2. If the game were to be released, I honestly think just that fact alone would exceed many gamers expectations. Oh, you'd get the requisite bitching on sites like this, but I think for the most part it wouldn't be nearly as overshadowed by 2 as you'd think.

Apr 28, 2008
Tanakh said:
mitchell271 said:
Actually, many people give many shits about DOTA 2. Everyone I know who plays LoL will be getting DOTA 2 at launch.
I wonder about that, DotA 2 seems to be a classic DotA game much more akin to the original DotA or HoN. You don't get any of the changes in gameplay LoL made and so far i dont think you get bots wich seems to be the main adversary of many LoL players.

I can see how DotA 2 will make HoN totally obsolete, but LoL i think will keep its place. Mind you, i always saw LoL changes in the gameplay as a step in the wrong, VERY wrong direction, though the bots were enjoyable especially to introduce new friends to the game without getting their butts raped.
Actually, almost all Valve games have bots. Only ones I can think of that don't are Day of Defeat Source and Half Life Deathmatch.

Plus, they'll most likely be using bots to help new players get acclimated, since being a new player in DotA is like wearing a suit made of steaks in the middle of a hungry wolf pack.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
hazabaza1 said:
And life goes on.
Wonder if anything interesting will be announced...
Well there's the last of us (probably something all the anti zombie people will whine about)
Bioware's new game that will likely attract a lot of hate
Epic's new game that will annoy Gears of War fans for being different
Sounds like fun, hopefully they'll al end up looking good.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Irridium said:
Actually, almost all Valve games have bots. Only ones I can think of that don't are Day of Defeat Source and Half Life Deathmatch.

Plus, they'll most likely be using bots to help new players get acclimated, since being a new player in DotA is like wearing a suit made of steaks in the middle of a hungry wolf pack.
I don't seem to remember bots in CS or TF2, then again i never even tryed to find them... maybe they do have bots.

And that's why i said so far, it's still beta, maybe at release. Still I dont see the bulk of the LoL community going DotA 2, if they wanted that gameplay they could have gone either DotA or HoN and get a very similar gameplay experience.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I just wish they would at least tell us if they are never bringing it out...

It seems a bit of a shame when they have loads of people waiting for it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I think that could be taken as either a "your pants will remain clean" or a "here are some clean pants for you." If anything, they're probably waiting for the next generation of consoles to be available before they announce the next Half-Life. It makes sense when you think about it, but that doesn't mean it isn't hellishly annoying when they troll us about it.

Apr 28, 2008
Tanakh said:
Irridium said:

I don't seem to remember bots in CS or TF2, then again i never even tryed to find them... maybe they do have bots.
Really?

In TF2 you click on training and pick offline practice.

For Counter Strike just go to create server and type in how many bots you want

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Ohh, don't worry, nothing is ever dead in the corporate entertainment industry, it might take decades but there will be a new reslease just pray you don't wake up in the middle of the night sceaming of the horrors of the new version, just ask the three stooges.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Irridium said:
In TF2 you click on training and pick offline practice.

For Counter Strike just go to create server and type in how many bots you want
Goddamit! No wonder everyone always seem to know the maps!

I learnt them the good ol fashion way of gettig fragged again and again.

And again.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Tanakh said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Ohh, don't worry, nothing is ever dead in the corporate entertainment industry, it might take decades but there will be a new release just pray you don't wake up in the middle of the night screaming of the horrors of the new version, just ask the three stooges.
The three stooges were never funny though... :|

I just hope they don't do a remake and actually carry on with the story. At this rate no one will remember what the plot of half life is and they will say they will have to do a reboot then we will be still waiting for HL3 when we are all living on Kepler 22b...

sigh.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
BREAKING UPDATE TIME!!!

There has been three more emails sent to gabe newell about this. All giving a much more concrete answer to the question of Half life 3. The answer is sadly no :(

Links:http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3931/noep3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XTZ3S.png
http://www.image-share.com/upload/1120/200.png

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Half-Life 2 was never that great. It and it's episodes were only above average- shooters.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
You know. I stopped giving a damn about HL3 about 4 years ago. If it ever comes the expectations will be similar to those surrounding DNF, and the disappointment probably similar. Unless the game would really revolutionize the first person shooter gameplay, which I highly doubt seeing what Valve does with games recently, the rumours aren't worth the attention.

It would be better for everyone involved if They would just make some new IP.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I almost crapped my pants when I heard the rumors. Now I'm in a deep depression. But I will remain loyal to Gabe Newell and the fine people at Valve. I don't care how long it takes. I'll wait.

I mean it's not like I can't play other games meanwhile.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I was mainly getting excited because I thought these new developments would get people to stop complaining about half-life 3. However, now it just brought a new wave of complaining

*sigh*