:)
-"Oh crap, people want to know who GMan is."
-"Fine, we'll tell 'em."
-"I don't know who he is!"
-"I thought you were taking care of that!"

P.A. Master

May 8, 2008
The only explanation I can think of...
Is that they're going to duo-release the sequel to Portal and Episode 3 as a combination of sorts, tying in the Aperture Science storyline to the Half Life universe.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
I trust them with their ability to produce games, so I don't worry. It's the same thing with Pixar; they've earned by Fanboyism.
Doesn't Pixar release a movie, like, at least once a year? ;P
Hasn't Pixar been trying to make Toy Story 3 since...oh...2006? ;P
Really, that long ago? To be quite frank, I'm afraid of Pixar doing the milking like Dreamworks is with Shrek (seriously, there's supposed to be "Shrek Goes Fifth!" movie!)

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Hmm, they release L4D1 and start work on L4D2 right away, yet Ep.2 comes out a few years ago and whats to bet they havnt even started on the plot yet.

I like L4D and all, but fuck, i want my Half-Life

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
I trust them with their ability to produce games, so I don't worry. It's the same thing with Pixar; they've earned by Fanboyism.
Really, that long ago? To be quite frank, I'm afraid of Pixar doing the milking like Dreamworks is with Shrek (seriously, there's supposed to be "Shrek Goes Fifth!" movie!)
The thing is that yeah, Pixar's been trying to get that one movie out for 3 years, but at the same time they've put out other things in the interim, which is the same with Valve. Though I don't think they released anything in 2008.

And I'm skeptical of Toy Story 3(D) because of how long it's taken to make and the fact that even if 3D is now an acceptable film medium again it's still hokey to me.

XT

May 21, 2008
they're lying, Gabe just ate all the coding.

He thought it was a biscuit.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
The thing is that yeah, Pixar's been trying to get that one movie out for 3 years, but at the same time they've put out other things in the interim, which is the same with Valve. Though I don't think they released anything in 2008.

And I'm skeptical of Toy Story 3(D) because of how long it's taken to make and the fact that even if 3D is now an acceptable film medium again it's still hokey to me.
Wall-E

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:

Wall-E
No I meant Valve releasing something in 2008. I know Pixar has pretty much been one movie a year for a while now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
No I meant Valve releasing something in 2008. I know Pixar has pretty much been one movie a year for a while now.
The Orange Box I think? Or was that in 2007?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
Umm, no? They weren't trying to make Toy Story 3, they were trying to make movies - they only began work on Toy Story 3 recently. Unlike Episode 2, Toy Story 2 didn't require a third movie, mainly because most directions it could go are fucking depressing. It was a fully enclosed sequel that didn't leave unnecessary cliffhangers, which frankly we don't see enough.
You know you're like the a-bomb. Everyone's laughing having a good time, then you show up and BOOM! Everything's dead. Toy Story 3 has been in the works as far back as 2004 under only Disney's control, and in 2006 when Pixar got control of it again it was listed as "pre-production". And in '07 they had screenwriters and directors attached to the project.

But to make a more apt comparison to VALVe, I present the fact they spent 10 months tearing out 60% of Meet the Robinsons and completely redoing it.

Anyway I think we've now veered wildly off-topic so I'll stop now.

Ravenhood

Jun 12, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Here's the thing. It's smart for them to not hype anything about Episode 3. Remember how badly Nintendo shot itself in the foot with hype for E3 last year? Well same principle applies.

Granted I'm a bit annoyed this whole episode format didn't pan out properly but oh well. At least it's coming eventually, unlike the last episodic FPS. I mean yes, we can fault them for not sticking to the ideas behind using episodic releases (i.e. fast release time), but at the same time my mind generates its own hype and interest by wondering what's taking so long and what Episode 3 will ultimately be. One doesn't necessarily need anything tangible, though a trailer or something would be nice to show it's still alive doing science.
Good reference... still amazed at how horribly Nintendo's conference turned out then... *shudders*

Anyways, I'm confident that Valve will still make a quality product, but at the same time, when the product is marketed as being a shorter, more periodic installment for the franchise, I've come to expect that the games will be released in a more timely manner... yes, it is Valve we're talking about, but they really shouldn't have even called them episodes if they weren't going to release them semi-regularly at the least. >_< So, I agree, seeing even a simple trailer would be enough for the time being.
Also, are you referencing "SiN Episodes" when you say "the last episodic FPS"? I'm still upset those have been put on indefinite hold to make casual games... v_v

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
Yeah, but each one beats the snot out of the rest of the productions of that year. Quality over quantity, my friend.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Lightningfires said:
Episode 3 better be more fantastic than maple sirup,whipped cream, and strawberry covered waffles. I know these standards are high, but I am hopeful Ep.3 will meet them.
not even the Half life franchise is better than maple syrup, whipped cream and strawberry covered waffles. *Smacks lightningfires for being a heathen*

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
They made a second Toy Story right away, but they've done enough movies between then and now that I'm pretty confident they aren't doing a third just to milk the series. Now, if they get done with Toy Story 3, and one of the previews before the movie is for Toy Story 4... then I'll be worried. =P

khain13

Apr 25, 2009
As far as the Pixar references go, Pixar has multiple groups working on multiple movies at the same time. Much like Valve does with the multiple games in development. It takes around 3-5 years to make one Pixar movie, they just have so many movies in process at the same time that they can usually finish one every year. I don't think Valve has quite as much capital to have that many projects going at once, so their product cycles have to be longer.