Gabe Newell thinks Windows 8 will be a catastrophe?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
zumbledum said:
well im sorry your hatred for gabe is so extreme you are blinded to the dangers this change in windows 8 brings to the market, doesnt seem to be any point trying to make a case your clinging to this with the passion of a religious extremist , but when your forced into paying subs for opera and whatever things on the net you do use or simply cant any more because MS doesnt want them around , well you were warned.
Really? You read all that into my post?

You make unfounded claims and when called out on them, you say you're not even going to try to defend them. You're such an excellent debater. Absolutely impeccable rhetoric. Flawless logic. How could anyone possibly hope to defeat you? But then, you won't even set foot on the battlefield.

Hilarious.

Deviate said:
Awww. It's adorable to see all the fanbois of Win8 look and act exactly like Apple's fanbois have been doing for a while now. The outright lies about its resource consumption and even about it's UI is made all the more delicious by the desperation you can feel just underneath the surface. The desperate need to convince themselves that it's the truth.
Just one question: have you used it? I've been using it for a month or so now and my laptop is no worse off for it. Better, in some areas.

zumbledum said:
EternalFacepalm said:
zumbledum said:
Microsoft certainly has its moments of anti-consumerism, but their goal is still ultimately making money. Would locking the system to this degree earn them money? No. Therefore it will never happen.

Still, though, I can see them locking the system to a certain degree, even trying to push it as far as possible. However, if this were to happen, and Linux finally starts getting some real support from ATI/nVidia, then I can see people migrating to Linux.
[sub]I can dream, can't I?[/sub]
i hope your right i really do , i just see there being a lot of room for them being able to leverage their monopoly power to cost us a vast amount more than they currently do. Maybe they wont go full evil straight off maybe its going to start with all devs having to charge an extra 20-30 for games to cover the new licences , maybe were going to have to subscribe to windows gold to come to the escapist visit you tube and anything else you do.

its simple pascal style logic for me. windows going to closed could at very best be no worse than it is now, that is the full breadth of options of a good result for us the consumer.
the other side of the coin if it should fall can only be bad.

Which leads to the next logical point why make it closed if your not going to do anything with the new state? answer-you wouldnt. they must have a plan and a reason for doing this and its going to be to charge us more.
I don't know where you're getting these conspiracy theorist-level ideas from, but you really do sound this crazy. [http://www.humanitywinsilluminatilose.com/?p=721]

I would really love to know where you're getting your ideas from, but I know you won't bother saying, since after all, there's no point in making a case right?

Not even worth a facepalm.

I'll just sip my dr. pepper here and watch the fail.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have no intention of using Windows 8. I will jut stick with Windows 7 and eventually upgrade to Linux when Valve gets Steam working on it.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Sounds like Newell is overeacting much like he did in the past regarding PS3, the more interesting reading in this thread is the hatred between those that hate windows 8 and those that don't mind it (no one has said they love it, which is a shame as it must be lonely).

There is some serious unchecked aggression dudes, John Goodman is not impressed.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Demon ID said:
Sounds like Newell is overeacting much like he did in the past regarding PS3, the more interesting reading in this thread is the hatred between those that hate windows 8 and those that don't mind it (no one has said they love it, which is a shame as it must be lonely).

There is some serious unchecked aggression dudes, John Goodman is not impressed.

I just want DETAILS on why Windows 8 is soooo bad. Not this vague nonsense about lost OEM's and so on.

Not loving Windows 8 doesn't mean that Gabe is correct. If Gabe is correct, why can't we get more details?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
WoW Killer said:
I'm still using XP. And I'm still waiting for a valid reason to use anything else. Will there be any point to 8? Like does do anything XP doesn't that would justify the massive system hogging that would accompany it?
Isn't MS getting excessively hostile to XP by shutting down support? I'm of the same opinion, but I think they've threatened shutting down all support in 2014.

I wouldn't venture as far as calling 7 'good' yet either. Maybe in a few years.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Crono1973 said:
I just want DETAILS on why Windows 8 is soooo bad. Not this vague nonsense about lost OEM's and so on.

Not loving Windows 8 doesn't mean that Gabe is correct. If Gabe is correct, why can't we get more details?
Maybe because it has something resembling an App Store?

He's afraid of it cutting into Steam's profits, which it might or might not--it depends on what game developers do.

No idea where this "closed" bullshit comes from. If he thinks the Windows store is gonna turn into something like Apple's App Store, where (unless you root your phone) you can only run shit from the App Store, he's nuts.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
evilneko said:
Crono1973 said:

Maybe because it has something resembling an App Store?

He's afraid of it cutting into Steam's profits, which it might or might not--it depends on what game developers do.

No idea where this "closed" bullshit comes from. If he thinks the Windows store is gonna turn into something like Apple's App Store, where (unless you root your phone) you can only run shit from the App Store, he's nuts.
Maybe Gabe is afraid of competition from Microsoft. Don't think he was afraid of competition from EA and Origin but maybe he's afraid of it here.

If it's an antitrust issue, maybe he should sue Microsoft. For now though, the lack of details and the fact that Windows 8 seems to run Steam and my games just fine just isn't convincing.

Holy Shit they changed the look of this site again.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Wayneguard said:
WoW Killer said:
I'm still using XP. And I'm still waiting for a valid reason to use anything else. Will there be any point to 8? Like does do anything XP doesn't that would justify the massive system hogging that would accompany it?
I'm wishing that I had stuck with XP like you have. At the time, I lambasted it for its failings... how little did I realize the horror that was to come. I dare anyone to try and get kotor 2 to work on windows 7.
I actually installed KotOR2, grabbed a high res patch, and played no issues on my Win7 laptop :)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
allinwonder said:
Everyone is following Apple's suit: be as closed as possible.

Basically Apple is ruining / has ruined the PC industry, just like COD is ruining / has ruined the gaming industry.
Oh look, someone braught this up.

COD is not going to "ruin" the industry. The only thing COD is ruining is the FPS genre, and thats because there isnt enough games out there that are trying to be their own thing, and instead are trying to mooch off of CODs success.

I must be the only guy that doesnt have any problems with Vista... and likewise the only guy that hated XP with a passion...