Gaddafi is dead

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
Great, hopefully this time it won't lead to another power struggle where our soldiers spend 8 years fruitlessly trying to maintain stability in the country like that last middle eastern kurfuffle we got ourselves into.
...you realize there are no NATO soldiers on Libyan soil? The most NATO has done is give air support and intelligence to the rebels.

It's up to the rebels to run their own country, that's why they have the transitional government in Benghazi.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Glademaster said:
SnakeoilSage said:
orangeban said:
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.

Hopefully Libya can start sorting itself out now.

ALSO: Gaddafi had a golden gun? That's pretty pimp.
If it's so pimp how come only psycho-dictators and over-compensating bling enthusiasts ever have them?

OT: With Gaddafi confirmed dead, it is a bit of a shame. His trial would have been the "crazy psycho spouting moon logic" trial of the century.
Em is that not what makes something pimp?
Touche.

Jegsimmons said:
also i thought this was funny.

i just call him 'daffy'
Okay, that made me laugh.

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
i think he was anti-west, so villified, and made to look rediculous like all of the us's enemies... i like how we find them all in sum unglorified hovel half dead... it's such b.s.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
But.... he was such a sharp dresser.

A very pathetic and unceremonious way to go. He was outnumbered, disarmed, wounded, utterly helpless. And they execute him, shot to the head. It just seems so... barbaric. Disappointing. I've seen the video of him being manhandled by the cheering shouting rebels. They all seemed like animals.

Of course, I don't know what it's like to be in the shoes of those rebels, nor do I understand why they were so mad at him. From my standpoint, it all seems so wrong.

What will the world do without his fabulous sense of fashion?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
orangeban said:
kitetsu said:
Elmoth said:
Just as with Bin Laden I think someone shouldn't sink to his level and kill him without question, but be the better man and decide in court what is just. However, it is still better for the world that this mad man is dead. But if he is dead that means the rebels now have one hell of job to get the country back in order, I'd think.
I'm sorry, but this is what Lawful Stupids would do. Gaddafi's killed enough people to fill a small town, and getting capped by an angry gunman doesn't make that angry gunman as much of a villain as Gaddafi is.
No, no it would not sink the gunmen to the same level as Gaddafi, but I ask you this, what is the point of having a justice system, if when you find a bona-fide criminal, you don't actually use the bloody justice system?
Who's justice system? Do they arrest him and extradite him to america? He's done no crimes against america. Do we wait until the rebels have won and instituted a justice system of their own? This is how despots end. It's how despots ALWAYS end. If tomorrow, Obama decided that he wasn't ever going to give up power, and somehow had the army on his side, perhaps due to some sort of religious indoctrination, he would end either being hung, or shot. There's no "fair trial" for people who commit crimes against humanity. The result of the trial is basically predetermined because the people doing the trial are the ENEMIES of the person being tried. So, if the result of the trial is predetermined and the end result is execution, what cause, other then assuaging the morals of the victors, is there in having a mock trial?

All it does is waste time and money.

So that's pretty much what makes it different - crimes against humanity. Saddam Hussein got a trial, but we all knew how that was going to end. There wasn't going to be a loophole big enough for him to get off scottfree, because the people holding the noose were bound and determined it was going to go around his neck.

I say just save time and money, and if a despot falls, you just let what happens happen, because it's going to anyway.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Gaddafi was apparently found in a hole by a fighter, and was injured. He is now apparently dead, though all this is yet to be independently verified.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15389550

Thoughts?
Great, I've been waiting for weeks to post a youtube clip from Back to the Future of Doc saying "Oh my god, they found me. I don't know but they found me...who do you think? The Libyans!"

...and it's still unconfirmed.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Great, he's dead. Can we go home now?
Still not seeing why we're supposed to go there and liberate Libia.
If we help liberating one country, why not the next? And the next? And the next?

I won't say "Daww a shame he won't be on trial." Him beeing dead spares taxpayers money for a long, long, long, long, long trial like with any other war criminal. (Milosovich anyone?)
At least the people got what they want now. Let's see how they handle freedom.

[/pessimistic note]

Eoghain Macleod

Oct 6, 2011
Altorin said:
orangeban said:
kitetsu said:
Elmoth said:
Just as with Bin Laden I think someone shouldn't sink to his level and kill him without question, but be the better man and decide in court what is just. However, it is still better for the world that this mad man is dead. But if he is dead that means the rebels now have one hell of job to get the country back in order, I'd think.
I'm sorry, but this is what Lawful Stupids would do. Gaddafi's killed enough people to fill a small town, and getting capped by an angry gunman doesn't make that angry gunman as much of a villain as Gaddafi is.
No, no it would not sink the gunmen to the same level as Gaddafi, but I ask you this, what is the point of having a justice system, if when you find a bona-fide criminal, you don't actually use the bloody justice system?
Who's justice system? Do they arrest him and extradite him to america? He's done no crimes against america. Do we wait until the rebels have won and instituted a justice system of their own? This is how despots end. It's how despots ALWAYS end. If tomorrow, Obama decided that he wasn't ever going to give up power, and somehow had the army on his side, perhaps due to some sort of religious indoctrination, he would end either being hung, or shot. There's no "fair trial" for people who commit crimes against humanity. The result of the trial is basically predetermined because the people doing the trial are the ENEMIES of the person being tried. So, if the result of the trial is predetermined and the end result is execution, what cause, other then assuaging the morals of the victors, is there in having a mock trial?

All it does is waste time and money.

So that's pretty much what makes it different - crimes against humanity. Saddam Hussein got a trial, but we all knew how that was going to end. There wasn't going to be a loophole big enough for him to get off scottfree, because the people holding the noose were bound and determined it was going to go around his neck.

I say just save time and money, and if a despot falls, you just let what happens happen, because it's going to anyway.
Just because the end result is a foregone conclusion doesn't mean that the trial is a waste of time. Stripping away the myths that he has built up around him and they loyalists may begin to view him in the same way the rebels do. And if they don't then we always have that "Human decency" thing to fall back on.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
OmniscientOstrich said:
Great, hopefully this time it won't lead to another power struggle where our soldiers spend 8 years fruitlessly trying to maintain stability in the country like that last middle eastern kurfuffle we got ourselves into.
Looks like Dora forgot her map again!

:D

Roy Smith

Sep 23, 2011
This is just like Saddam. I have a friend of mine who cheered when he was killed and I mentioned there would be a power vacuum and we'd either surrender to the local fanatics or be fighting them for the next hundred years.

The Rebels of Libya = (in large part) the Muslim Brotherhood. You've cheering the creation of Iran 2.0.

Are there any other "evil dictators" we can eliminate so their countries can become an Islamic Theocracies?