Gaddafi is dead

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
IF this is true, good, Lybia can hopefully sort themselves out and form a government that works.

As to the discussion about whether Gaddafi deserved a trial or not, Would it have really mattered? The trial could have just been a show to the world, and still end with him dead, or some supporters that may still be out there could have waited for the trial, than launch an attack, freeing him and causing this conflict to continue.

Plus, I didnt think Lybia was in any shap to have a justice system right now...

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
gaddafi is dead
Osama is dead
saddam is dead
Kim Jong Il has pancreatic cancer
and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is still alive.
Now lets play a game of "guess which ones got a fair trial".

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
Undead Dragon King said:
Well, this certainly doesn't help Libya's "democratic" system. Capturing and putting Gaddafi on trial would have been a great opportunity to prove to the world that Libya will be a better country than when it was under dictatorial rule. Instead, Gaddafi was killed, apparently while he was trying to surrender, according to The Telegraph.

As Commander Shepard would say: "Is that your idea of due process?"
The man killed droves of his own citizens when they were peacefully protesting. As far as I'm concerned, death comes to tyrants.

There are no rules of war anymore. There is no due process on the battlefield.(a little over dramatic I know, but it's still true)

It's a fine ideal, that all criminals get trials regardless of their crimes, but when it comes to mass murderers who support terrorists, I really stop caring. Though I have to admit I only really stop caring in that extreme.

There is also the matter that he was probably not going down without a fight. He was found with that golden pistol after all.
Don't get me wrong; Gaddafi certainly got what he deserved. All I was saying was that Libya passed up a great opportunity to show how different things will be now that the dictator is gone. There are lots of people who think that this transitional council will go the way of Egypt and essentially become a junta of some kind. Executing the former dictator on sight, who was screaming "don't shoot!" as he was shot, won't help assuaging those fears.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
mikecoulter said:
I suppose he should have had a trial, but the outcome would have probably been the same.
It would have been a show trial but it would have really helped Libya's image internationally. I understand why they killed him but it would have been more beneficial for Libya in the long run if they had given him some sort of trial.

It doesn't really create hope for an easy transition into democracy (or whatever political system they plan on creating).

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure he's dead - there's a video of his corpse being dragged through the street on the guardian website.

OT: Things will only get worse for Libya - just you watch. Soon they'll be fighting amongst themselves and we'll all act surprised...

VladBlok28

Dec 22, 2007
I am amazed at these posts here, Escapist..
Do ALL of you believe the western media blindly?

I know a couple of Libyans, and I know what their "oppressed" life under Gaddafi was like. Social security, free education, free housing, free studying abroad, very high standard of living (above many western countries at that). If you just look at the cars they are driving in the war footage, you see these are no poor people.

So why then the rebellion? Because they don't like how rich they are??

If you do some research, you will find that certain oil trade agreements between some western countries and Libya were about to expire, and Gaddafi stated he would stop trading with the west and focus on Russia and China instead. Lo and behold, suddenly starts a western supported "rebellion" in this oil rich country. What a wonderful coincidence.

No thanks, I won't buy that. If any of you still think media is to be trusted, just look at the Occupy Wall st. movement and how much coverage that's been getting (not much). And that's in the middle of New York! Imagine how much they can twist the truth all the way from Africa.

Gaddafi was no saint, but he was much better for the Libyan people that what they have coming, which is western exploitation of THEIR natural resources.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Finally Libya can start getting stuff done. Hopefully they remember all the countries that helped when they restore order, and start trading effectively again.

nat_401

Oct 18, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
The UN and USA didn't even try to catch him.
Well done for figuring that one out, it was the NTC who were trying to catch him, the USA and UN didnt want to deal with this at all, they must be happy that he never left Libya and became their problem to deal with.

And why do people think he was executed on the spot? He was forced into an ambulance and driven off, maybe he was executed in the ambulance, plenty of reasons why this could of happened, maybe he died of wounds from being bombed then involved in a firefight, whih is something most people would die of yeah. No-one except the people in the ambulance will know the truth. The NTC would of loved to stand him up in court and accuse him of every misfortune in Libya since he took control, that would of cemented them as the Libyan authority in the people's minds, now they have to acturly help Libyan people and prove they diserve to make decisions until elections (hopefully) are held.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
Dibs on his collection of silly hats ????.

But seriously here is hoping that Libya will get better not worse

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Sir Bob said:
Jegsimmons said:
gaddafi is dead
Osama is dead
saddam is dead
Kim Jong Il has pancreatic cancer
and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is still alive.
Now lets play a game of "guess which ones got a fair trial".
ok, let me point out your logical flaws.

Osama was armed and could not have been taken alive, he refused too, so they used lethal force which is perfectly legal to do. especially when it Navy seals for fuck sake. Standing up against them means srs bsns.
Saddam was given a trial.
Daffy was captured but died from his wounds. Understandable.
the other two are obvious.

so check and mate.

Jun 11, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
orangeban said:
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.

Hopefully Libya can start sorting itself out now.

ALSO: Gaddafi had a golden gun? That's pretty pimp.
If it's so pimp how come only psycho-dictators and over-compensating bling enthusiasts ever have them?

OT: With Gaddafi confirmed dead, it is a bit of a shame. His trial would have been the "crazy psycho spouting moon logic" trial of the century.
Em is that not what makes something pimp?

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Sneaky-Pie said:
What a shame.

He was this close to making General.
I c what you did thar.

OT: I don't think Gaddafi should be killed, I am not against anyone or anything, but he is not a bad man.

i am nobody

Apr 7, 2010
vladblok28, i couldn't have said it better.

i'll leave you guys with 2 links:

http://mayihlome.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/the-truth-and-the-myth-of-the-war-in-libya/

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-728459.0.html

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
orangeban said:
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.
This. Killing him is the wrong way to end the conflict.