Galactic Civilizations III Unveils First Screenshots

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Galactic Civilizations III Unveils First Screenshots

Stardock has released new art and screenshots for its in-development strategy title Galactic Civilizations III.

Strategy games aren't lacking for titles based around the idea of interstellar conquest. That being the case, there was always something special about the Galactic Civilizations games. Perhaps it was the depth of options afforded to players, or maybe it was just the fact that the ship builder in Galactic Civilizations II offered <a href=http://forums.galciv2.com/143307/page/1/#replies>customization the likes of which few other games have even attempted.

Whatever it was about the series that won gamers over in years past, its developers at Stardock are aiming to top it with Galactic Civilizations III. With promises for the game already including an improved ship builder, new map features, deeper political intrigue and, for the first time, online multiplayer, Galactic Civilizations III could very well shape up into one of the premier 4X turn-based strategy titles of the near future.

[gallery=1919]

All of that said, franchise fans haven't had much of the game to look at up to this point. Happily, Stardock has just released a smorgasbord of new screenshots, concept art and renders to wet the appetite of strategy fans eager for a look at the work in progress. The captures themselves show off a diplomacy screen, a pair of starships and a map screen. The remainder of the images, in turn, include concept art for a trio of races named the Drengin, Iconians and the Thalan. While we admittedly still haven't been shown much yet, we will admit to still being impressed and excited by the new offerings. Take a look at the screens yourself and let us know if you agree.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
HALLELUJAH!

The one true king has returned. This is possibly the best thing to happen all week. And I've gotta admit, those updated ship bits look sexy as hell.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
My body is not ready for this and it never will be! I'm far too excited for a new universe to rule, explore and obliterate!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Am I the only one that thought they were going to make the play board 3d in the third entry? I don't know, it seemed like it would have made sense. XD

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Gal Civ 2 is probably my all time favorite game ever. Of all time.

This... this just leaves me speechless.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I do love me some space conquest games, but I'm sorry, that map is ridiculous. Planets sitting in a grid and the situation with that black hole is dumb. Do not like.

The problem with 4x space games is, in my opinion, a fundamental lack of innovation in core conceptual gameplay. Just because everyone liked MoO2 does not mean every game has got to be designed around that formula.

Luckily, as of YESTERDAY, I, Thiosk, son of Gragnar of Ilgathorn, have become an indie game developer, and we are now building our first 4x space game prototypes.

To infinity and beyond.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Please Don't End Up Like MOO3. Please Don't End Up Like MOO3. Please Don't End Up Like MOO3.

But, seriously?
My favorite 4X game (GalCiv2:EU) is getting a sequel?!?!
WOOHOO!

Please Don't End Up Like MOO3.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
For those interested Star Dock is offering "Founders" Editions. $100 gives you Alpha Access and all expansions (Stardock expansions are BIG). $40 gives you Beta Access and is $10 cheaper than getting the game upon release will be.

After a solid 5 minutes consideration I went with the $100 one, because, screw it, GalCiv2 is my favorite game of all time and I love Stardock.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I just hope they do a physical release.

Their boxes have always been really cool, with maps and good manuals and shortcut stuff, and...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I need to know if it will have turn based tactical combat like Master of Orion 2. That was the one thing I felt was missing from GalCiv II.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Colt47 said:
Am I the only one that thought they were going to make the play board 3d in the third entry? I don't know, it seemed like it would have made sense. XD
Yes, you probably are. Such a feature would add nothing useful to the gameplay while likely being a giant pain in the ass.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Tanis said:
I just hope they do a physical release.

Their boxes have always been really cool, with maps and good manuals and shortcut stuff, and...
Me to, I still have my gal civ II limited edition with the metal case and it looks awesome to this day.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I never played the previous ones, please don't hurt me, but I love 4x strategy. I recently picked up Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion which is made by these guys. But this is turn based right? That means I should love this more, is the second one still worth a look? Has it aged well?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Colt47 said:
I was hoping they would make it "system" based at least rather than "planet" based on the galactic map. It shouldn't take you a few turns or years to move between planets in the same system - the distance between them relative to other systems is highly disproportionate.

A 3D map would also have been an improvement but I guess we can't have everything about space reflected as accurately as possible.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
is the second one still worth a look? Has it aged well?
Definitely on both accounts. It still even looks amazing (well, except for the cinematics, but you rarely see those). Though I do recommend the Ultimate Edition, the Changes made in the Twilight of the Arnor expansion add a lot to the game. Only $20 on Steam too.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
While I do plan on purchasing this product their extended preorder page was completely underwhelming. They could have had screenshots, gameplay or at least a video of someone saying what they were planning.

However they did not.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Jadak said:
Colt47 said:
Yes, you probably are. Such a feature would add nothing useful to the gameplay while likely being a giant pain in the ass.
Yeah it seems like a natural evolution but I really wonder if a 3d environment would actually be detrimental in a 4x turn based strategy game. The map could feel disorientating, or have to become enlarged to accommodate, and makes it a lot trickier placing your ships. The 'board game view' has simply always worked, and I'm sure the folks at Stardock considered 3d but decided on 2d being best.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I really liked GalCiv 2, all the way up until the Dread Lords expansion. After that, they messed up horrifically with the research cost inflation system, and broke the game permanently. As far as I know, to this day there's still no fix for this "feature" that basically caused the AI to stall and your campaign grind to a screeching halt unless you'd prepared for this since turn 1.
Yes, I'm a still a bit bitter about it.

This next installment might not make the same mistake, or at the very least properly balance it. Here's to hoping...