Galactic Civilizations III Unveils First Screenshots

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
Ah GalCiv....the series I should love and has all the features I like in a game. But for some unfathomable reason always leave me feeling bored out of my skull. I can never put down a reason why it is so...but I hope that its not like that this turn around because the promise of 4X is likely to draw me in again.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
I don't know about Star Dock these days. It used to be one of my favorite publishers but lately it's been a little... confused perhaps? I'm not sure, I just don't like it. Something smells funky so I'm holding off until I get a better picture.

I still find myself playing more MOO2 then Gal Civ 2, and I found the defining issue with GC2 was the combat. Until I see what they've done with the combat system I'm certainly not preordering. I'll end up getting it eventually, that's almost a given unless it goes total MOO3 fiasco. I can't see things getting that desperate. I just... I won't be happy unless they do something to make the game's combat more exciting. Adding another person to watch the cinematic with isn't more exciting, Star Dock!

I'm also curious to know how they plan on implementing multiplayer in a game where past iterations could go on for thirty hours and up. Have they got a hot seat system, some sort of servers, what? And more over, does this mean that games of GC3 won't have the same epic scope as 2 did, or is it an entirely different sort of game between single and multiplayer? Oh, and the most horrific fear of all, what if they were to scrap the skirmish/free play mode and have only campaign and multiplayer? Until I get clarification on all these weighty issues of state of game, I can not commit my financial support to this colossal undertaking.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Namehere said:
I don't know about Star Dock these days. It used to be one of my favorite publishers but lately it's been a little... confused perhaps? I'm not sure, I just don't like it. Something smells funky so I'm holding off until I get a better picture.

I still find myself playing more MOO2 then Gal Civ 2, and I found the defining issue with GC2 was the combat. Until I see what they've done with the combat system I'm certainly not preordering. I'll end up getting it eventually, that's almost a given unless it goes total MOO3 fiasco. I can't see things getting that desperate. I just... I won't be happy unless they do something to make the game's combat more exciting. Adding another person to watch the cinematic with isn't more exciting, Star Dock!

I'm also curious to know how they plan on implementing multiplayer in a game where past iterations could go on for thirty hours and up. Have they got a hot seat system, some sort of servers, what? And more over, does this mean that games of GC3 won't have the same epic scope as 2 did, or is it an entirely different sort of game between single and multiplayer? Oh, and the most horrific fear of all, what if they were to scrap the skirmish/free play mode and have only campaign and multiplayer? Until I get clarification on all these weighty issues of state of game, I can not commit my financial support to this colossal undertaking.
As to how MP is going to be handled, they haven't said much yet. What they have said is that it will secondary to the single player experience. They're more concerned with making a good Single player game than a multiplayer one.

One thing that means (I assume) is they won't sacrifice gameplay that makes single player fun for the sake of facilitating MP.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I loved these games growing up but looking back I feel like 4x are less about strategy and more about optimization. And in that respect the only reason you can ever win is if the computer is intentionally made stupid since it has all of the information for perfect optimization and you don't.

But I'm happy for the genre. If this game has asynchronous multiplayer I'll totally pick it up and have some grand "play by email" games that go on forever with my friends across the country.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
I wonder if this will mark the return of the The Bongolian Deathcrab.

Obligatory link for those who don't know the reference. [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/161570/blog/galciv-2-war-report-final-entry/?site=pcg]

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I hope that the release of this game will bring my long quest for a satisfying 4x space strategy game from this decade to an end.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I really tried to like the series, but the bulls*** moral choice system just didn't sit right with me in a 4X game, much less a space based one. Hoping this one won't have them but more than likely "deeper political intrigue" means more of it.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Why the hell did they rip off Star Controls storyline???

The Ur-Qu- erm, Drengin overrunning the galaxy with Mankind holding on trapped behind a planetary shield?

This is being generous to them and ignoring the whole Precursor type civilization BS (which is in far, far, FAR too many Sci-Fi games).

This wouldn't normally bother me, games like GalCiv aren't played for their storyline, but it's a fricking Sci-Fi game! Why not explore different ideas and opportunities instead of doing what too much of fantasy does with Tolkien?

I loved these games growing up but looking back I feel like 4x are less about strategy and more about optimization. And in that respect the only reason you can ever win is if the computer is intentionally made stupid since it has all of the information for perfect optimization and you don't.
This is why I quickly stopped playing GalCiv2 with later expansions. It's one thing to have the AI not be stupid, it's another for it to have an immediate check for whatever you're doing as you're doing it.

It's not a challenge, it's frustrating. I play these kinds of games on the fly without doing much planning or thinking because I like to see how they develop and it drives me nuts when I have to plan and micromanage so much.

And the person who talked about combat sucking, I fully agree. Why is it that games that let you design your own ships seem to have the most generic and boring combat?

I mean, Birth of the Federation had a dirt simple combat system, but it felt fun doing it and it felt meaty and visceral for a cheap little game, something I never felt with GalCiv2s combat.