Gallery: Here's Your Live-Action Attack On Titan Movie Cast

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Gallery: Here's Your Live-Action Attack On Titan Movie Cast

Anime/manga hit gets the live-action treatment in 2015

Subaru commercials. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/attack%20on%20titan] So a live-action movie adaptation? Not exactly a huge surprise - in fact, this one has been in development since 2011, with current plans being to split it into two features for release this coming Summer.

Now, the principal (human) cast of the film has been revealed in their live-action forms as a set of character posters released through Japanese news sites Eiga; [http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20141120/oth14112005040009-n1.html] which include familair series characters like Eren Yeager and Mikasa along with new characters created for the film. The posters also offer fans a first look at the characters costumes and weaponry, some of which is similar to the series while other elements are notably divergent in style.

No imagery of the Titans themselves have yet been released, and it is not known whether they (or the world of the film, for that matter) will diverge in any significant way from the aesthetic of the originals. In both the manga and anime, the Titans are typically depicted as enormous, mishappen humanoids often boasting exaggerated limbs and jaws; while others are further deformed up to and including a lack of skin.

[gallery=3545]

A gruesome fusion of body-horror, giant-monster and retro-futurism genres, Attack on Titan is set in a world where humanity lives in walled-off nations following a mysterious attack a century earlier by immense, people-devouring human-like giant called Titans. When the monsters return after a long absence, a special force of young soldiers is deployed to defend humanity from them by utilizing "Vertical Maneuvering Equipment" that uses rockets and cables to let fighters make long, controlled leaps through the air to combat the Titans.

The two Attack on Titan features are expected to release this coming Summer in Japan. Shinji Higuchi, a former FX and Gainax anime veteran who scored a huge hit with 2013's Lorelei. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8_82KeRJo]

Sources: Eiga [http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20141120/oth14112005040009-n1.html]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

List

Sep 29, 2013
Titans are just giant zombies...
then again, the masses will eat up anything zombie related, because zombies...

but I'm still looking forward to this because titans...

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Why is there a rocket launcher in picture 2? correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any such weapons in Attack on Titan, also a bow and arrow? why? that would be useless against titans, unless you wanted to blind them, but with the size of an arrow compared to a Titan's eye, it doesn't seem like it would do much, the cast looks pretty good though

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I kind of which someone like Warner or Paramount had picked it up for the live action. Even with cost cutting measures like filming in Quebec City/Montreal instead of Europe coupled with using 3rd and 4th pier actors instead of big name ones, it seems like a movie that would need at least 75 million to be both honest to the source material and look the part. Japanese studios just don't have either the budget or the audience to support a movie like that on their own. And lets face it, we all wanted to see Sir Patrick Stewart play Pixis. I mean hell some people already looked up some of the perfect 'fits' for some roles.

Still, I'll be waiting for this with some anticipation. I'll probably have to set my corn level to "super sentai" level though. I have my doubts the cg will be at a level I can take seriously.

Though it seems Mikasa will have one of the things which make her stand out disappear. Being the daughter of the last Asian isn't going to be adapted, that's for sure. The aesthetics are also probably going to be very different, most likely modern urban decay due to the budget issue.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Oly J said:
Why is there a rocket launcher in picture 2?
My money's on the setting being more modern, the fall being some time in the late 20th/early 21st century (despite that not making any sense if the origins of the titans remains the same). The main reason is probably budgetary.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
Am I the only one that doesn't care about AoT movies AT ALL? I just want Season 2, I need to know how the story continues, and follow the characters I've grown attached to. Isn't it a little early to start spin-offs?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Oly J said:
also a bow and arrow? why? that would be useless against titans, unless you wanted to blind them, but with the size of an arrow compared to a Titan's eye, it doesn't seem like it would do much, the cast looks pretty good though
I believe that is meant to be Potato Girl- I mean, Sasha Braus. She comes from a hunting village. She actually uses the bow and arrow against a 2m titan to save a little girl when she doesn't have her gear by blinding it.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
MiskWisk said:
Oly J said:
also a bow and arrow? why? that would be useless against titans, unless you wanted to blind them, but with the size of an arrow compared to a Titan's eye, it doesn't seem like it would do much, the cast looks pretty good though
I believe that is meant to be Potato Girl- I mean, Sasha Braus. She comes from a hunting village. She actually uses the bow and arrow against a 2m titan to save a little girl when she doesn't have her gear by blinding it.
I see, I have to admit it's been a while since I watched Attack on Titan, I haven't even seen the dub yet, but the one stroking the rocket launcher looks like it might be one of my favourites, who bizarrely I've forgotten the name of, you know the one though, the Titan-scientist woman, I really hope they keep personalities intact

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Tar Palantir said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care about AoT movies AT ALL? I just want Season 2, I need to know how the story continues, and follow the characters I've grown attached to. Isn't it a little early to start spin-offs?
Same here. I just can't understand why they don't make season 2. There's enough material in the manga. Arguably I could just go read the manga, but I don't like the format and prefer anime...

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
The problem with live action adaptions of any animation is getting actors that look like the characters. Often they make attempts such as prosthetics to get them to look more like their drawn counterparts, but this often makes it look worse and pushes it into the uncanny-valley. When that's the case it's often best not to bother trying at all, especially when they'll be using Japanese actors to fill the roles of European characters.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Alexander Kirby said:
The problem with live action adaptions of any animation is getting actors that look like the characters. Often they make attempts such as prosthetics to get them to look more like their drawn counterparts, but this often makes it look worse and pushes it into the uncanny-valley. When that's the case it's often best not to bother trying at all, especially when they'll be using Japanese actors to fill the roles of European characters.
I completely forgot about that. But you're right, the entire cast is actually European with the exception of Mikasa who is half Asian. It's usually pretty easy to forget that as the characters are all Japanese in anime (notable exceptions exists such as Gundamn). This is actually a rare moment when filming in the West would be more accurate to the cast.

On the other hand, the last time Hollywood tried to adapt an anime, we got Dragonball Evolution. Whereas the last time I saw an anime adapted by a Japanese film company, it was the Rurouni Kenshin live action film, which was great. And I think I would take that slight inaccuracy in exchange for a good movie.

Anyway, this looks fairly accurate, but I wonder about the effects on the Titans and the story and such. That can make or break the film.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I thought Mikasa was special because there were so few Asians around. Is this like Justin Chatwin as Goku? (In a broad sense - almost nothing is as bad as that.)

[Ninja's by Saltyk]

It's funny how attached we can become to certain actors in roles. Can you imagine another Gandalf than Sir Ian McKellan? First choice was Sean Connery. Keanu Reeves as Neo? First choice was Will Smith. Harrison Ford as Han Solo? Try Al Pacino.

In the end it's less about the actor's face and more about the character's portrayal. If they can stay true to the character's essence, we'll overlook a lot.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
This looks...interesting. I'm not going to make any judgements based on just these shots, but I am a little disappointed that they're going for a more modern look rather than the high-tech Medieval look of the origianl, which I really like.

Still, it's good that we've got crazy Titan Scientist Lady (I think), and the guy with the axe looks pretty cool.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
The addition of Japanese named characters is an interesting one. I always understood that the most of the cast in the manga was European, more specifically somewhat German based on the names. I can understand the Japanese actors, yet the names bug me a bit.

The modernized setting doesn't fit me well either. The fall of humanity by giant naked people becomes less and less convincing the further towards the present you go. I also feel it takes away from the animalistic hunter-prey feelings the titans create, what with the extra technology to use against them. Basic titan fighting is very straightforward: get close, cut them, don't get eaten. You have to get close to them to beat them and that's terrifying.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Based solely on that fucking terrifying car commercial, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this develops into.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Saltyk said:
Alexander Kirby said:
I completely forgot about that. But you're right, the entire cast is actually European with the exception of Mikasa who is half Asian. It's usually pretty easy to forget that as the characters are all Japanese in anime (notable exceptions exists such as Gundamn). This is actually a rare moment when filming in the West would be more accurate to the cast.

On the other hand, the last time Hollywood tried to adapt an anime, we got Dragonball Evolution. Whereas the last time I saw an anime adapted by a Japanese film company, it was the Rurouni Kenshin live action film, which was great. And I think I would take that slight inaccuracy in exchange for a good movie.

Anyway, this looks fairly accurate, but I wonder about the effects on the Titans and the story and such. That can make or break the film.
I don't mind the changes really. I think it is reasonable to change the races of characters in an adaptation for whatever creative reason or real-world constraints come into play. Some are purists which is fine and some try to make a big ethical stink about it (though that only tends to be when white-washing rears its ugly head), but I find both of those to be poor excuses for condemning change on their own. If the changes lead to a better movie, fantastic! As you point out, american studios are notoriously bad at doing anime adaptations. Better to have some characters shifting race rather than crank out a piss-poor product.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Oly J said:
MiskWisk said:
Oly J said:
I see, I have to admit it's been a while since I watched Attack on Titan, I haven't even seen the dub yet, but the one stroking the rocket launcher looks like it might be one of my favourites, who bizarrely I've forgotten the name of, you know the one though, the Titan-scientist woman, I really hope they keep personalities intact
The scientist is Hange Zoe. Interesting fact about the character, the author of AOT refuses to actually state whether it is male or female. Mostly to troll really, everyone assumes female but it hasn't actually been confirmed.

Quick note on Sasha, the bit where she fights the titan with a bow hasn't actually shown up in the anime yet.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Anyone know the Japanese romanized names -> the version we're familiar with? Can figure some of them (like obviously the ones with the googles and bow are Hanji and Sasha respectively) but not all.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Jandau said:
Tar Palantir said:
Same here. I just can't understand why they don't make season 2. There's enough material in the manga. Arguably I could just go read the manga, but I don't like the format and prefer anime...
Its because they're focusing on grabbing more money by making "recap" 2 movies. The first (Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow) which will cover the first 13 episodes dated to show on November 22, 2014. While the 2nd movie (Attack on Titan Part 2: Wings of Freedom) will do the rest of the episodes and is dated for 2015.

Wit Studio is also making 2 OVAs adapting the prequel, "Attack on Titan: No Regrets". It's going to be bundled with the leases of the 15th and 16th Volume of the manga. Dated for release on December 9, 2014 and April 9, 2015.

That's the main reason why there's no 2nd season, Cash Cowing the first season.

OT: Live Actions = MEH~~~~~~
The only good one recently is one the Rurouni Kenshin one.

At least they're not just remaking the anime all over again, and adding/changing things.