Gallery: Here's Your Live-Action Attack On Titan Movie Cast

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Wait, are they making new characters for this? Does that mean we might see an Attack on Titan that has characters with actual depth and progression?

I kid, I kid.

...But seriously, I'll wait this one out until the fans make an abridged version that shortens the hour-long chase scene into something more reasonable.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Gorrath said:
Saltyk said:
Alexander Kirby said:
The problem with live action adaptions of any animation is getting actors that look like the characters. Often they make attempts such as prosthetics to get them to look more like their drawn counterparts, but this often makes it look worse and pushes it into the uncanny-valley. When that's the case it's often best not to bother trying at all, especially when they'll be using Japanese actors to fill the roles of European characters.
I completely forgot about that. But you're right, the entire cast is actually European with the exception of Mikasa who is half Asian. It's usually pretty easy to forget that as the characters are all Japanese in anime (notable exceptions exists such as Gundamn). This is actually a rare moment when filming in the West would be more accurate to the cast.

On the other hand, the last time Hollywood tried to adapt an anime, we got Dragonball Evolution. Whereas the last time I saw an anime adapted by a Japanese film company, it was the Rurouni Kenshin live action film, which was great. And I think I would take that slight inaccuracy in exchange for a good movie.

Anyway, this looks fairly accurate, but I wonder about the effects on the Titans and the story and such. That can make or break the film.
I don't mind the changes really. I think it is reasonable to change the races of characters in an adaptation for whatever creative reason or real-world constraints come into play. Some are purists which is fine and some try to make a big ethical stink about it (though that only tends to be when white-washing rears its ugly head), but I find both of those to be poor excuses for condemning change on their own. If the changes lead to a better movie, fantastic! As you point out, american studios are notoriously bad at doing anime adaptations. Better to have some characters shifting race rather than crank out a piss-poor product.
Could you explain what you mean by whitewashing, since that is usually used in reference to someone covering up / hiding a black stain in someone's history (Examples, China denying that the Tiananmen square protest happened or a Nazi supporter claiming that the holocaust is a lie).

If you're alluding to people complaining about white characters being replaced by other ethnicities, it can go both ways. I remember people complaining about Shyamalan casting white people to represent waterbenders, who are Inuits in the "anime". Also, I think they hated that people of Indian ethnicity were representing the Fire nation, although I don't remember what race they were supposed to be.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I don't recognize half of these characters although I don't read the manga, I just hope the Titans look interesting.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
Kaimax said:
Jandau said:
Tar Palantir said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care about AoT movies AT ALL? I just want Season 2, I need to know how the story continues, and follow the characters I've grown attached to. Isn't it a little early to start spin-offs?
Same here. I just can't understand why they don't make season 2. There's enough material in the manga. Arguably I could just go read the manga, but I don't like the format and prefer anime...
Its because they're focusing on grabbing more money by making "recap" 2 movies. The first (Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow) which will cover the first 13 episodes dated to show on November 22, 2014. While the 2nd movie (Attack on Titan Part 2: Wings of Freedom) will do the rest of the episodes and is dated for 2015.

Wit Studio is also making 2 OVAs adapting the prequel, "Attack on Titan: No Regrets". It's going to be bundled with the leases of the 15th and 16th Volume of the manga. Dated for release on December 9, 2014 and April 9, 2015.

That's the main reason why there's no 2nd season, Cash Cowing the first season.

OT: Live Actions = MEH~~~~~~
The only good one recently is one the Rurouni Kenshin one.

At least they're not just remaking the anime all over again, and adding/changing things.
you do know that they are making season 2 and the reason for the wait is so the manga to get far enough ahead so the story in the anime does not change from the manga to much

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
residentout1 said:
Kaimax said:
Jandau said:
Tar Palantir said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care about AoT movies AT ALL? I just want Season 2, I need to know how the story continues, and follow the characters I've grown attached to. Isn't it a little early to start spin-offs?
Same here. I just can't understand why they don't make season 2. There's enough material in the manga. Arguably I could just go read the manga, but I don't like the format and prefer anime...
Its because they're focusing on grabbing more money by making "recap" 2 movies. The first (Attack on Titan Part 1: Crimson Bow and Arrow) which will cover the first 13 episodes dated to show on November 22, 2014. While the 2nd movie (Attack on Titan Part 2: Wings of Freedom) will do the rest of the episodes and is dated for 2015.

Wit Studio is also making 2 OVAs adapting the prequel, "Attack on Titan: No Regrets". It's going to be bundled with the leases of the 15th and 16th Volume of the manga. Dated for release on December 9, 2014 and April 9, 2015.

At least they're not just remaking the anime all over again, and adding/changing things.
you do know that they are making season 2 and the reason for the wait is so the manga to get far enough ahead so the story in the anime does not change from the manga to much
No, I didn't know that. Can you link a source?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Product Placement said:
Could you explain what you mean by whitewashing, since that is usually used in reference to someone covering up / hiding a black stain in someone's history (Examples, China denying that the Tiananmen square protest happened or a Nazi supporter claiming that the holocaust is a lie).

If you're alluding to people complaining about white characters being replaced by other ethnicities, it can go both ways. I remember people complaining about Shyamalan casting white people to represent waterbenders, who are Inuits in the "anime". Also, I think they hated that people of Indian ethnicity were representing the Fire nation, although I don't remember what race they were supposed to be.
Well, I don't want to get too into a rant, but yes, whitewashing in this sense is what you infer. Some believe there is an ethical problem with taking a character who is established in cannon as being of a non-white race and casting a white actor to play the part. I am sympathetic to this view because of the overwhelmingly small number of roles available to non-white actors, especially lead roles. However, I am not willing to engage in unfair practices, which means I cannot accept that it's perfectly fine to deprive a white actor of a role because of his race while claiming that depriving people of roles due to their race is an ethical problem.

All in all, I support the notion that there is no ethical problem with changing the race of a character for a movie. I also think people in positions to make such decisions need to pull their heads out of their backsides and realize that diversity is good for everyone. The problem with what Shaymalan did was that he created an awful, awful movie. There was no good reason at all to cast the actors he did for the roles they filled, so changing the races of the characters can't be justified under the "Best actor for the job" or "creative license" reasons. I don't know why Shaymalan made the choices that he did, but they were BAD ones.

So much for not getting into a rant, sorry.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Photoshop flare, photoshop flare *everywhere*

Anyway, I need to see if AoT is actually any good. Been avoiding it since tumblr went bat shit crazy over it.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Somethingfake said:
Photoshop flare, photoshop flare *everywhere*

Anyway, I need to see if AoT is actually any good. Been avoiding it since tumblr went bat shit crazy over it.
If you like anime and its associated tropes in general, I think you may find it pretty good. It's dark and bloody and ridden with a bit more angst than I usually care for but I think it at least keeps things interesting. My only real complaint is that, like a lot of anime, it tends to drag its ass at parts and the main character is probably the most unlikeable thing about it. That's my totally unsolicited 2 cents.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Jandau said:
I just can't understand why they don't make season 2. There's enough material in the manga. Arguably I could just go read the manga, but I don't like the format and prefer anime...
The manga has been ongoing since 2009. Five years have barely produced two season's worth of animated plot.

Even if they could just barely make a second season, then they would run out of material for the third, and have to wait like three years to continue, and then another three years for a fourth season.

Anime seasons are not like western TV seasons that the series is started it's right on track for one season every year around the same time, until it gets axed.

They are more like movie franchises, where one is made, if it's popular a sequel is made somewhere around the next years, and another if they feel like it.

For a series that intends to follow the manga, it's much better to pace them, and make one season in every two years, than to burn out of subject material.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Gorrath said:
If you like anime and its associated tropes in general, I think you may find it pretty good.
Translation: If you like shounen battle manga genre, and its associated tropes in general, you might find it pretty good.

There is a reason why AoT is a lot more hated among anime fans than among casual viewers, and that's not so much snobbery, as the fact that anime fans like various anime genres for diverse reasons, while those who are only vaguely familiar with the medium and assumed that it's all shounen battle manga adaptations anyways, will find a good exacution of that genre to be the end-all of anime.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
Tar Palantir said:
residentout1 said:
Kaimax said:
Jandau said:
Tar Palantir said:

No, I didn't know that. Can you link a source?
http://www.breathecast.com/articles/attack-on-titan-season-2-release-date-april-2015-prequel-movie-to-release-december-2014-20696/
http://io9.com/attack-on-titan-is-back-in-production-for-season-2-1634004925

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Entitled said:
Gorrath said:
If you like anime and its associated tropes in general, I think you may find it pretty good.
Translation: If you like shounen battle manga genre, and its associated tropes in general, you might find it pretty good.

There is a reason why AoT is a lot more hated among anime fans than among casual viewers, and that's not so much snobbery, as the fact that anime fans like various anime genres for diverse reasons, while those who are only vaguely familiar with the medium and assumed that it's all shounen battle manga adaptations anyways, will find a good exacution of that genre to be the end-all of anime.

I don't know whether you'd call me a casual viewer or not, but the characterization involved in the series is not at all limited to tropes found only in shounen battle manga. The only reason I find it more interesting than similar fare is because it does not simply stick to those tropes found in shounen battle manga. If that was all there was to the show, I'd probably find it unwatchable.

Edit: And just for clarity's sake, my original claim wasn't meant to be taken in the way I think you may have taken it. That error is mine for not being more clear. I wasn't suggesting that the tropes in AoT represent the total scope of tropes found in anime, but that the ones present in AoT are very much typical anime tropes, and as you point out very correctly, belong mainly to the shounen battle manga subset.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
piscian said:
I'm hearing a whole lot of complaining here, if you'd like I can call Michael Bay and see if he'll be interested in picking up the rights to this? we could get the location changed to New Jersey, Shia LaBeouf as the hero? Mark Walberg as the Titans? or you could stop fucking complaining and enjoy an anime adaptation not being destroyed by an american studio? Sound good now? :)
Actually, we got a live action Guyver film with Mark Hamill that's pretty damn good from an American studio. I think in this case, an American or European studio should have had more of a hand in this because of the predominantly European building structures and (probably) location. Plus add the budget and we might have had a really good film that stayed very true to the manga.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
At least it looks pretty true to the setting.

But I still don't see the need to make a live-action film out of ANY animated series or film. You can do incredible stuff with artstyles and animation that would be impossible (or extremely expensive) with real actors.

Why waste money on downgrading your creative potential?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Gorrath said:
Well, I don't want to get too into a rant, but yes, whitewashing in this sense is what you infer. Some believe there is an ethical problem with taking a character who is established in cannon as being of a non-white race and casting a white actor to play the part. I am sympathetic to this view because of the overwhelmingly small number of roles available to non-white actors, especially lead roles. However, I am not willing to engage in unfair practices, which means I cannot accept that it's perfectly fine to deprive a white actor of a role because of his race while claiming that depriving people of roles due to their race is an ethical problem.

All in all, I support the notion that there is no ethical problem with changing the race of a character for a movie. I also think people in positions to make such decisions need to pull their heads out of their backsides and realize that diversity is good for everyone. The problem with what Shaymalan did was that he created an awful, awful movie. There was no good reason at all to cast the actors he did for the roles they filled, so changing the races of the characters can't be justified under the "Best actor for the job" or "creative license" reasons. I don't know why Shaymalan made the choices that he did, but they were BAD ones.

So much for not getting into a rant, sorry.
Well, I think we can all agree with The Airbender movie being a terrible film that deserves every single angry rant that can be found in the onlineverse and I'm glad to see that we're on the same page regarding the term "whitewash". However, I still don't see how complaining about characters changing ethnicities can be considered whitewashing.

Really, the only super negative racial thing I can think about from the movie history was the "black face" practice, where white actors with makeup were used to play the roles of blacks, instead of having black actors do it themselves. Trying to hide the fact that it happened would be whitewashing in my books.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Product Placement said:
Really, the only super negative racial thing I can think about from the movie history was the "black face" practice, where white actors with makeup were used to play the roles of blacks, instead of having black actors do it themselves. Trying to hide the fact that it happened would be whitewashing in my books.
Sorry, I must not have been clear in what I meant. White washing has two meanings depending on the context. You are correct that white washing is to remove the bad parts of history in order to make events or people look better than they actually were, but it also means to take a non-white character or cast and change them to be white so that white actors can play them. When I was speaking about white washing, I was referring to the later practice not the former.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Gorrath said:
but it also means to take a non-white character or cast and change them to be white so that white actors can play them.
That's... an oddly specific definition.

But then again, I've heard worse.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I hope they keep the thing about Mikasa being the last Asian, just because it would be hilarious. I'm curious now, are there any famous western-born actors in Japan? We have a good variety of ethnicities for Hollywood to pick from here in the US, even though Hollywood doesn't seem to realize it.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Dagda Mor said:
I hope they keep the thing about Mikasa being the last Asian, just because it would be hilarious.
I have to admit, that that shit never quite flew for me. I mean, the whole premise of the show is that this is some kind of a walled up kingdom in, what I'm assuming is Europe, and that it has been sealed from the Titan threat for 1000 years. Again, 1000 years.

Mikasa's mother was apparently the last pureblood Asian (making Mikasa a half & half), who's descended of a group that managed to reach this place before the walls were finished and the Earth was completely overrun. Now, 1000 years equals about 30-40 generations, meaning that for there to be a pureblooded Asian still running around, that group of survivors must have been genetically versatile enough for the bloodline to survive for this long. At the same time, this group can not have been that concerned with intermarriage for there to have been only one Asian left in the entire Kingdom, yet still there's no apparent evidence of Asian descendance in the populace.

Call it nitpicking but allot of crap had to go right for that specific scenario to be true.

But then again, I've seen worse.