Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The last one in particular I remember was on the Horizon Forbidden West subreddit where they had choice things to say about both Dunkey and Yathzee because neither of them were particularly into the game, rather than admit as fans they might be biased in its favor.
It's even more stupidity on their part when it comes to Yahtzee. Yahtz made it very clear from the beginning, he didn't like Zero Dawn. What made them think he would change his mind with Forbidden West any differently? Dunkey really didn't make his feelings known about both games, until he reviewed the second game. They must really love fooling and lying to themselves that much their so called "game reviewing saviors" are there to constantly please the 'fans' every whim and opinion. Then the same ass hats go around complaining about how everyone should be "objective". Apparently subjectivity can't exist, if no one sharing this exact same opinion as you are.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's even more stupidity on their part when it comes to Yahtzee. Yahtz made it very clear from the beginning, he didn't like Zero Dawn. What made them think he would change his mind with Forbidden West any differently? Dunkey really didn't make his feelings known about both games, until he reviewed the second game. They must really love fooling and lying to themselves that much their so called "game reviewing saviors" are there to constantly please the 'fans' every whim and opinion. Then the same as hats go around complaining about how all of you should be "objective". Apparently subjectivity can't exist, if no one sharing this exact same opinion as you are.
Especially when reviews are inherently subjective because it's how the reviewer feels about something. Yeah, it feels nice when other people really like something you do but if they don't, why should that affect your fun? I've long since accepted I'm one of the three people on earth who think Kentucky Route Zero is the shit(the other two being Marty Sliva and Noah Gervais) and I don't ask anyone else to validate the fact the game works for me and it exists.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Like JSS points out, it is absolutely hilarious that people are going after Dunkey because "he doesn't have any game development experience". He's looking to publish, not develop. Do they think Andrew Wilson has done coding?
Yeah but he does have, like, soccer experience. I mean his name is on the bloody ball…and FIFA is one of EA’s biggest games, so *drops mic*. #NFTs FTW suckas!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Escapist had this on a couple of days ago
Oxenfree II: Lost Signals Hit with Delay, Will Launch in 2023 (escapistmagazine.com)
And this morning I'm seeing the original Oxenfree is going to be released on Netflix. For any of you with Netflix already, Oxenfree is worth your time. Has anyone else tried out any Netflix games. For the most part it is just mobile titles you can download with a link from your signed in Netflix account. So far I'm just... kind of ambivalent towards Netflix games. Interesting because I already have an account, but not good enough to even be a reason to get Netflix. But Oxenfree, looks like maybe they are getting a little more serious about getting into games. I am intrigued to see what is next. I had a blast with the retro styled Stranger Things and Stranger Things 3.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Escapist had this on a couple of days ago
Oxenfree II: Lost Signals Hit with Delay, Will Launch in 2023 (escapistmagazine.com)
And this morning I'm seeing the original Oxenfree is going to be released on Netflix. For any of you with Netflix already, Oxenfree is worth your time. Has anyone else tried out any Netflix games. For the most part it is just mobile titles you can download with a link from your signed in Netflix account. So far I'm just... kind of ambivalent towards Netflix games. Interesting because I already have an account, but not good enough to even be a reason to get Netflix. But Oxenfree, looks like maybe they are getting a little more serious about getting into games. I am intrigued to see what is next. I had a blast with the retro styled Stranger Things and Stranger Things 3.
Just to clarify, Netflix bought the studio that made oxenfree thus buying the IP. They didn't develop the game.

And it's good

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just to clarify, Netflix bought the studio that made oxenfree thus buying the IP. They didn't develop the game.

And it's good
Yeah, good note. I think its worth mentioning that Netflix isn't a developer, or really even a publisher. More like just acting as a platform for distribution. Maybe the idea is to eventually be able to attract subscriptions via Netflix Games, but the selection is so small right now it is just a little extra for people who have already subscribed. A place where you can get access to full versions of (mostly mobile) games for free with your subscription. Maybe there is an idea that eventually they would have an in house development team, but frankly that is quite a long way off and would be announced with a lot more hoopla.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreamcast Night Continued!

• 5. - Boils down to something different and personal tastes. I get it, and that is one thing the Greek Era excelled at, but if they did it again, the problems would be same old thing. GoW4 at still does have bombastic beginning, yet more subdued.
  • 4. - I find the music memorable in the games I did play, but it's been too long to give a full opinion. From what I remember, there were plenty of action tracks that kept me hooked at least.
  • 3. - This one I agree on. Scale is something Greek Era has always excelled at, even on the PSP! No argument here. Ragnarök is looking to fix 4's issues on art.
  • 2. - YMMV/Personal tastes. Not much comment here. I will say by the time of Ascension, while impressive, I was beyond bored and done despite the effort put in for the final PS3 GoW game. If 4 had similar camera angles, I would not have complained too much. With the new entry, I hope SM gets more experimental with the cinematics at least.
  • 1. - Disagreement here, but the GoW Greek Era wasn't that simple. People still had plenty of crackpot/WMG theories back then. The only difference was you did not have every Tom, Dick, and Harry constantly blabbing on YT 24/7. Most of those conversations were left to internet forums, chat rooms, talks between friends, and TV Tropes. While GoW's combat is simple compared to games like DMC and NG, there is still a complexity to them when contrasted with most of its clones (with most making things even simpler or copying verbatim without standing out much). As much as I dislike the plots in most of the later Greek Era games, they're not that straight forward. This ain't Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear, but DMC1&2 and NG1&2 way more straight forward with or without the comparison and contrast. NG2 (itself recycling/remaking the plot of the first two NES games) is literally the first game again, but Ryu does not die at the beginning, and his rival is a ninja from a rival clan, instead of demonic spectral samurai. DMC1 is Dante literally going to island to kill the demon king with only two revelations: Trish was made to look like his dead mother Eva (which is not even much of a foreshadowing), and Vergil being Nelo Angelo. DMC2 is only so straightforward because the original nobody working on the project and Capcom did not care.