Game Articles and Videos Thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

So IGN did their usual 100 GOAT, and for shits and giggles, checked what I'd played:

93: League of Legends (I understand why it's here, just never enjoyed it; HotS is the only MOBA I've ever enjoyed)

84: Resident Evil 2 (remake) (dunno if this is top 100 stuff, but certainly one of the best RE games, so sure)

77: GoldenEye 007 (personal top 100, yep, dunno if it's among the GOAT)

71: Donkey Kong (I...guess? Historical relevance only)

68: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (played a bit of this back in the day, dunno why it's here)

66: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (played for a few minutes, totally counts!)

56: Overwatch (should be Overwatch 2, but meh - certainly one of the most enjoyable shooters out there)

55: Apex Legends (not really, and certainly not above Overwatch)

49: Diablo II (I get why it's here, but...sorry, I've never enjoyed D2, D3 is my favorite Diablo game)

48: StarCraft (I'd put SC2 here first, but SC1? Sure, that deserves a place)

47: World of Warcraft (influence, sure, but not really my thing, I'd replace it with WC3, if I'm only allowed one Warcraft game)

43: Pokemon Yellow (Pokemon definitely deserves a place here, but I'd go for Gen 2)

42: Metroid Prime (go home, you're drunk)

40: Resident Evil 4 (yep!)

36: Metal Gear Solid (hell yep!)

34: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (needs to be higher, you uncultured swine)

32: Halo: Combat Evolved (shouldn't be this high, but definitely top 100 material)

29: Doom (I get why it's here, holds up well, mostly for historical value)

28: Tetris (yeah, sure, should be somewhere here)

27: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (pretty much)

18: BioShock (should go somewhere in this list, definitely)

9: Half-Life 2 (shoo, away with you)

7: Super Mario 64 (definitely should be here)

6: Mass Effect 2 (played a bit, can't comment)

5: Super Metroid (way too high up, and, again, don't understand the love for this game, when I enjoy so many 2D Metroids more)

4: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (why is it this high, and why is it here when A Link Between Worlds is better in every way? Never understood the love for this game)

2: Super Mario World (played a bit, can't comment)

So, 27/100. That's...fine? I guess?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So IGN did their usual 100 GOAT, and for shits and giggles, checked what I'd played:

93: League of Legends (I understand why it's here, just never enjoyed it; HotS is the only MOBA I've ever enjoyed)

84: Resident Evil 2 (remake) (dunno if this is top 100 stuff, but certainly one of the best RE games, so sure)

68: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (played a bit of this back in the day, dunno why it's here)

56: Overwatch (should be Overwatch 2, but meh - certainly one of the most enjoyable shooters out there)

49: Diablo II (I get why it's here, but...sorry, I've never enjoyed D2, D3 is my favorite Diablo game)

47: World of Warcraft (influence, sure, but not really my thing, I'd replace it with WC3, if I'm only allowed one Warcraft game)

43: Pokemon Yellow (Pokemon definitely deserves a place here, but I'd go for Gen 2)

34: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (needs to be higher, you uncultured swine)

32: Halo: Combat Evolved (shouldn't be this high, but definitely top 100 material)

5: Super Metroid (way too high up, and, again, don't understand the love for this game, when I enjoy so many 2D Metroids more)

4: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (why is it this high, and why is it here when A Link Between Worlds is better in every way? Never understood the love for this game)

Regarding 4. -
But ALttP came first, and was still considered amazing upon release. Kinda like how Dark Souls is always brought up in these, even when Demon’s was first and each of the Dark sequels did several things better. Plus were more consistent.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Huh, FFVII barely made the cut. Fell off a lot. I remember it used to be a shoe-in for top 10.

It's also still the 2021 top 100 btw. Not that that means anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"Times changed".
I suppose. Ocarina of Time was down too, another once top ranking stalwart. Disco Elysium made nr 10. Unexpected but there's nothing quite like it, so cool, tho I suspect there may be some recency bias at play. No idea why Portal 2 was number 3 (ironically, cuz Valve) tho. It's good, but imo nowhere near that good. But, you know, lists.

Wonder what the actual 2022 list will look like (this is actually still the 2021 one)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Cool, some people are making the Duke Forever 2001 pre-alpha build that got leaked a while ago into a real game.

Gearbox, or more specifically Randy, don't you be a dick about this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm surprised anyone still watches Extra Credits at this point. Nothing has been the same since the original crew left, and we're left with most of these douchebags. I had already stopped watching them long before 2017, but them defending loot boxes twice over, told me that they just became another bunch of suck ups for rich jackasses. Don't get me started on the Normalizing Nazis video. I hate Nazis as much as the next person, but playing one in a video game is not going to turn you into a Nazi. That's the same crap Jack Thompson and his ilk always spilled out.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm surprise you still watch Extra Credits at this point. Nothing has been the same since the original crew love, and we're left with most of these douchebags. I had already stopped watching them long before 2017, but them defending loot boxes twice over, told me that they just became another bunch of suck ups for rich jackasses. Don't get me started on the Normalizing Nazis video. I hate Nazis as much as the next person, but playing one in a video game is not going to turn you into a nazi. That's the same crack Jack Thompson and his ilk always spilled out.
I've mostly stopped watching their game videos but the Extra History has been interesting to follow. Yeah, the Nazi video was cringe as fuck for sure.

Reactions: BrawlMan