Game Articles and Videos Thread

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I'd nuance that with games that are very very narrative-driven, when (increasingly) they are judged for their story. In which case, reaching the end is as important as for a movie or a novel (some meh stories are slow-burn builds to great endings, some great stories are destroyed by their retroactive reveal endings). Judging, say, Spec Ops The Line without playing it to the end would be dumb...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Judging, say, Spec Ops The Line without playing it to the end would be dumb...
I wouldn't blame anyone for doing so, considering how stupid and forced the mid game twist is, on top of the twist ending. Glad I never payed a single dime. Not worth at $60, or almost any other price lower or higher than that.
I'd nuance that with games that are very very narrative-driven, when (increasingly) they are judged for their story. In which case, reaching the end is as important as for a movie or a novel (some meh stories are slow-burn builds to great endings, some great stories are destroyed by their retroactive reveal endings).
Depends on how good the story is. YMMV and all the jazz. Tears of Kingdom is your usual Zelda fare. I'm not judging, but you know what's going to happen. The twist or spoiler at times, is usually lore related or sometimes to a specific side character. I will give Age of Calamity for some of its little twists peppered throughout the game.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
An exhaustive rundown on the INTELLEVISION Amico

It shares basically zero cross information with the Roblox.oof video

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Nice video about disco elysium controversy, I don't know the video maker so I can't really vouch for his credibility but most of what he show are interview so it sounds pretty legit. It also kinda act as a behind the scene for the game, there's an interview with the guy who wrote the kuno and I'm pretty sure I would have been able to know he wrote him even if they didn't tell us.

The jist of it seems to be that the person who should be considered the lead writer/director wasn't very professional and was both pretty mean to some employee and kinda stopped working after the game came out when he was supposed to be finishing up the director cut. He also tried to convince the shareholders and employees to let him make a new game in a very loose way with no string attached. While this was happening, one of the shareholder used some clever manoeuvring (possibly illegal, that's where the lawsuits comes in) to become main shareholder and following that he fired the lead writer for, well, not working and openly discussing making his own studio.

Neither of the main player really come out full black or full white. The lead writer seems like success got to his head and its not quite clear if things had gone his way if he would have actually worked on anything. The main shareholder seems very open but there's some important piece of evidence to clear him that are conspicuously absent. Important to say that a lot of people who have been working for the company since the early day decided to stick with the company trough all the trouble, and while they greatly respect the lead writer, they don't really support his version of events.

Still interested in seeing what the lead writer does next and what the company do.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still interested in seeing what the lead writer does next and what the company do.
They're both shit-bag mother-fuckers, and they can all go to hell. I wish the best for developers, and hope they find something better. The shareholders suck, and that lead writer won't be picked up at all.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Fuck off with this asinine puff piece, you absolute wanker. Crawl up your own ass and die.
I can just imagine the setup for that shoot’s profile pic.

“Ok Bobby, as you can guess people generally really hate you right now, so we’ll need a look that says, ‘Feel sorry for me.’”

“Shit, ok what, like this?”

“Well…*sigh*…gee, is…is that your best?”

“How bout FUCK YOU GUYS, take it or leave it.”

“Fine.”

Anyways, I stopped reading after this bs -
Longtime Kotick colleagues and competitors say he is exacting but Activision’s results and track record speak for themselves. The company has been able to keep growing by prioritizing quality over quantity and setting a high bar for improving the gaming experience.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Anyways, I stopped reading after this bs -
Longtime Kotick colleagues and competitors say he is exacting but Activision’s results and track record speak for themselves. The company has been able to keep growing by prioritizing quality over quantity and setting a high bar for improving the gaming experience.
...I'm sorry, is there some other Activision/Blizzard/King I've never heard about until now?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I recommend everyone watch the YoVideoGames podcast episode 390. There's a lot of crucial information there. Big hint: it shows that a lot of these projects have no proper management or people are put in the wrong positions. Or positions that are made up shit, and don't work at all. The business side has overtaken so much of gaming; especially on the Western side. The unnecessary and Rush deadlines, the crappy PC ports just to feed the bottom line, and all these CG in concept trailers that look nothing like the final product and ideas just thrown around without much merit or flinging interests.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I recommend everyone watch the YoVideoGames podcast episode 390. There's a lot of crucial information there. Big hint: it shows that a lot of these projects have no proper management or people are putting the wrong positions. Or positions that are made are made, don't work at all. The business side has overtaken so much of gaming; especially on the Western side. The unnecessary and Rush deadlines, the crappy PC ports just to feed the bottom line, and all these CG in concept trailers that look nothing like the final product and I just idea is thrown around without much merit or flinging interests.
Additionally I’d recommend all the corpo subjects of the podcast watch it too, until it’s imprinted on their brains how fucking stupid they’re being. It’s just too bad they take forever getting to the point.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Edit: ignoring the partially lame Sonic segment. Recollecting rings is not much of a hassle in most of the 3d Sonic games. Stop making crap up Yahtzee. By the way Yahtzee, you forgot that the whole luck health mechanic was already taken by Uncharted.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
By the way Yahtzee, you forgot that the whole luck health mechanic was already taken by Uncharted.
Was that ever confirmed by Naughty Dog, or did we just take Nolan North's word on that? Because under some scrutiny it doesn't really hold up, as both grenade impacts and melee hits also eat at Drake's "luck". Either way though the health system in Uncharted was never any good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was that ever confirmed by Naughty Dog, or did we just take Nolan North's word on that? Because under some scrutiny it doesn't really hold up, as both grenade impacts and melee hits also eat at Drake's "luck". Either way though the health system in Uncharted was never any good.
Straight from Naughty Dog's mouth.