Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I disagree big time with their list. Most of the Wii games on the list already have better versions or installments on the Switch, or the games themselves are just average. Where's Mad World, House of the Dead: Overkill, Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor? The best one on the list is Punch-Out (2009); the only game I agree deserving a port on Switch.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

Also in terms of game design, as one of the main things I've hoped for in this current gen, this helps reaffirm my presumption that there is virtually no "impossible"; rather there are only technological limits we haven't overcome yet -
Hey I know that Downwards Thrust guy! A couple of years ago he and another Youtuber named Cleanprince gaming apparently found some way to game the algorithm because they tended to flood everyone's recommended lists despite being utterly milquetoast content creators. It was honestly kinda annoying.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hey I know that Downwards Thrust guy! A couple of years ago he and another Youtuber named Cleanprince gaming apparently found some way to game the algorithm because they tended to flood everyone's recommended lists despite being utterly milquetoast content creators. It was honestly kinda annoying.
Cleanprice is a schemer that is not as smart as his videos make him out to be. Downward Thrust I never found that engaging or interesting to bother paying attention towards. I did not have neither come up in my feed that often, but when they they did, I'd clicked ignore channel every single time. I only had DT come up twice in my feed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For those that care. I would not call WET that forgotten though, but I do not blame anyone that does.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
About shitty rental game stores and EB Games that have crappy practices, (attempting to) screwing over customers, employees using DLC codes, and other heinous actions. I must have gotten really lucky, because none of the GameStop/EB games did not try that shit on me nor my older brother. Pat and Woolie really got the shit stick on some of these.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I disagree big time with their list. Most of the Wii games on the list already have better versions or installments on the Switch, or the games themselves are just average. Where's Mad World, House of the Dead: Overkill, Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor? The best one on the list is Punch-Out (2009); the only game I agree deserving a port on Switch.

I mean, it's Screen Rant. Minimal effort clickbait is their entire schtick. How else could a Mario Kart, Smash and a mainline Mario widely considered one of the best games on the system be considered underrated.

Also, if we're talking underrated Wii games, along with those mentioned already, of the top of my head, I'd like to present for your consideration:
  • A Boy And His Blob
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
  • Muramasa The Demon Blade
  • Trauma Team
  • Shiren the Wanderer
  • Deadly Creatures
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Little King's Story
  • Nights: Journey of Dreams
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Wario Land: Shake It
  • Rodea The Sky Soldier (but only the Wii version)
  • Fragile Dreams
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • Geometry Wars: Galaxies
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile remake
  • Kororinpa
  • Dawn of Discovery
  • Dead Space: Extraction
  • Battalion Wars 2
  • Cursed Mountain
  • Dokapon Kingdom
  • Pandora's Tower
  • A Shadow's Tale
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom
  • Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
  • Rune Factory Frontier
  • LA Machine Guns
  • Another Code R (currently EU/JP only)
  • Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes (currently JP only)
  • Captain Rainbow (currently JP only)
And probably some I'm forgetting. Maybe not all the most mindblowing games of all time, but imo definitely underrated, and worth a fiver or tenner given the opportunity. So just pick 10. Any 10. Will make for a better list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, it's Screen Rant. Minimal effort clickbait is their entire schtick. How else could a Mario Kart, Smash and a mainline Mario widely considered one of the best games on the system be considered underrated.

Also, if we're talking underrated Wii games, along with those mentioned already, of the top of my head, I'd like to present for your consideration:
  • A Boy And His Blob
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
  • Muramasa The Demon Blade
  • Trauma Team
  • Shiren the Wanderer
  • Deadly Creatures
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Little King's Story
  • Nights: Journey of Dreams
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Wario Land: Shake It
  • Rodea The Sky Soldier (but only the Wii version)
  • Fragile Dreams
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • Geometry Wars: Galaxies
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile remake
  • Kororinpa
  • Dawn of Discovery
  • Dead Space: Extraction
  • Battalion Wars 2
  • Cursed Mountain
  • Dokapon Kingdom
  • Pandora's Tower
  • A Shadow's Tale
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom
  • Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
  • Rune Factory Frontier
  • LA Machine Guns
  • Another Code R (currently EU/JP only)
  • Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes (currently JP only)
  • Captain Rainbow (currently JP only)
And probably some I'm forgetting. Maybe not all the most mindblowing games of all time, but imo definitely underrated, and worth a fiver or tenner given the opportunity. So just pick 10. Any 10. Will make for a better list.
I do know Dead Space extraction got a port on PS3 and possibly PC. Even though I don't like Muramasa, it deserves a poured on Switch, PS4, or both. Cuz the only other part of that game is the PS Vita. I wasn't expecting much, as I could tell by the articles. At least I read this on incognito mode and had the ad blocker on. They get nothing.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I do know Dead Space extraction got a port on PS3 and possibly PC. Even though I don't like Muramasa, it deserves a poured on Switch, PS4, or both. Cuz the only other part of that game is the PS Vita. I wasn't expecting much, as I could tell by the articles. At least I read this on incognito mode and had the ad blocker on. They get nothing.
The thing about the Wii is that there are a good amount of worthwhile games on it outside of 1st party. You just need to put in a little more effort, and look beyond the obvious. Hence why Screen Rant's lists are often so cliched and/or bad. They do neither.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For those that care. I would not call WET that forgotten though, but I do not blame anyone that does.

This game came out and I remember having a huge crush on Eliza Dushku at the time.....So i fucking loved this game. It's great and i don't care who says otherwise.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
One of the comments on one of JSS's previous videos about CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077 said "I wish he would talk about EA". (This was before their announced pronoun change.) That struck me as just a symptom of the wider problem: People want them to wail and gnash their teeth about "those bad companies" and "those bad people", but going any further than that, criticizing "more favored" companies or delving into the structures that actually allow these things to happen, is "going too far". And it occurs to me that a great many of these complainers don't actually want the problems to be fixed; they just want to whine about them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And it occurs to me that a great many of these complainers don't actually want the problems to be fixed; they just want to whine about them.
Bitches-in-a-boxstand. Nothing more, nothing less.

This game came out and I remember having a huge crush on Eliza Dushku at the time.....So i fucking loved this game. It's great and i don't care who says otherwise.
More power to you. Nothing against the actress (wonderful lady; I know), but Rubi as a character sucks hard and so does the entire cast. If I need my over-the-top shooting fix that badly, I got Vanquish, Stranglehold, Max Payne, and Gun Grave.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
More power to you. Nothing against the actress (wonderful lady; I know), but Rubi as a character sucks hard and so does the entire cast. If I need my over-the-top shooting fix that badly, I got Vanquish, Stranglehold, Max Payne, and Gun Grave.
Yeah I know, I pretend the characters are better in my mind. But I legit actually thought the overall game was good and still to this day think it is an underrated gem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I know, I pretend the characters are better in my mind. But I legit actually thought the overall game was good and still to this day think it is an underrated gem.
I would like the game play more, but what keeps me from enjoying it is the bad repetition. None of the main villains are boss fights (nearly all are QTEs or cut-scene bosses), bad platforming that is all trial and error, yet glitchy, and QTEs that go on for way too long.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If I had a PS5 and I wanted a fun platformer to play on it, I'd probably grab it, but I wouldn't pick up a PS5 for it.

Then again, If I had a PS5, it would be for Demons Souls.
I'll get a PS5 when they stop porting games to PS4 (or 3/4 of the way of stopping) and do the price drop. I'm all about the BBDs.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'll get a PS5 when they stop porting games to PS4 (or 3/4 of the way of stopping) and do the price drop. I'm all about the BBDs.
Can you even get a PS5 without paying blood money to a scalper OR obsessively following restocks? I thought it was still really hard to get ahold of one.