Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still can't believe nobody tried to fill the gap left by rockstar not making GTA game anymore. GTA cloned used to be super common and they almost all vanished around the same time as they stopped making GTA, that's a gold mine just left untapped.
That's because GTA clones and Sandbox games have been done to death already. We're still getting them now, but they don't always have to be about gangsters/gangstas, being "ghetto", hood, or constant assholes. We get cowboys, samurai, super heroes, hackers, etc. Like any genre or jumping trend, 90% of everything is crap. Do you know how many games tried copying GTA in game play or tone during 6th generation? How most of them were mediocre or garbage? Saints Row was one of the better ones, but even the first game sucked and took too long to get fun and had too much tedious padding with "respect points". GTA2 did the respect meter better back in 1999!

Whatever clones came in the 7th generation, most did not last long or evolved in to something else. I'm glad the GTA era of clones is dead, Leaves more room for creativity and more game variety.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

GTA6 looks like it wont be out until 2025 and surprise it's gonna be a live service game!
That makes it easy for me to ignore. Houser left on a high note while the leaving was good. End of an era. Will be interesting to see how this new direction plays out watching from the sidelines.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
-With Ubisoft popularizing GaaS and the standardization of open world games, there isn't much ground to tread on anymore. You got perfectly sterile yet playable settings that will always give you sales so long as you don't offend people.
The fact Ubisoft does almost nothing but Open World Sandbox games is kind of an important point here. It may not be Grand Theft Auto but it's pretty much the same idea just with whatever theme that particular brand of Ubisoft game is running with. You want Open World GTA type games? Ubisoft has plenty of them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
How is it people are still finding new ways to break this damn game?!? I mean, half the shit in this video, he can't even see what he's doing and he's aiming magic without locking on; how does one DO this let alone perfect it to pull off a world record run??

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The fact Ubisoft does almost nothing but Open World Sandbox games is kind of an important point here. It may not be Grand Theft Auto but it's pretty much the same idea just with whatever theme that particular brand of Ubisoft game is running with. You want Open World GTA type games? Ubisoft has plenty of them.
But do they have stunt jumps and a kickass physics and pedestrian system? Or a massive collection of radio stations and Easter eggs to find?

When I think of Ubisoft open worlds I think of clearing map icons. GTA is more like fuckabout and see what happens. Ubisoft generally had far more interesting and creative story modes though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
How is it people are still finding new ways to break this damn game?!? I mean, half the shit in this video, he can't even see what he's doing and he's aiming magic without locking on; how does one DO this let alone perfect it to pull off a world record run??

Because some people pretty much live these games.

Anyways,

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
But do they have stunt jumps and a kickass physics and pedestrian system? Or a massive collection of radio stations and Easter eggs to find?

When I think of Ubisoft open worlds I think of clearing map icons. GTA is more like fuckabout and see what happens. Ubisoft generally had far more interesting and creative story modes though.
Still the standardization of open world to the point that even GTA and RDR is more focused on being GaaS shows that Ubisoft won out in the end.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Still the standardization of open world to the point that even GTA and RDR is more focused on being GaaS shows that Ubisoft won out in the end.
Ubsioft won out because they are basically the CoD of open world games, pumping out the next installments of a handful of formulas like clockwork. Rockstar takes a minimum of half a decade with all hands on deck to put their stuff out; almost twice that for RDR2 and longer yet for GTA6 (assuming most of the time is being spent on actual game development). The consistent sales records generally also reflect that level of effort, which means everyone else takes notice and if needed makes other plans around their release date announcements.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
GTA game and ubisoft open world game are very different beast. Sure they're both open world game, but Myst and Doom eternal are both first person shooter and no one would say they're the same. GTA like game are more about creating a city/area and letting you mess around in it, that's why most memorable moment from them are about screwing around doing un scripted stuff. That allure doesn't exist in ubisoft game since they're world is static and lifeless, running over a bunch of pedestrian with a horse is never anywhere near as fun as doing it with a car while listening to radio.

And yeah these GTA clone were very common back then, but that doesn't mean that everything possible within the genra has already been done. There's still plenty of way to make interesting sandbox world.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
GTA game and ubisoft open world game are very different beast. Sure they're both open world game, but Myst and Doom eternal are both first person shooter and no one would say they're the same. GTA like game are more about creating a city/area and letting you mess around in it, that's why most memorable moment from them are about screwing around doing un scripted stuff. That allure doesn't exist in ubisoft game since they're world is static and lifeless, running over a bunch of pedestrian with a horse is never anywhere near as fun as doing it with a car while listening to radio.
Please don't make me defend ubisoft games.......

Messing around in the open world is pretty much the Far Cry games to a T. That's most of the reason those games exist. Despite if they work as well as GTA doesn't detract from the loop is a lot of fucking around with cars and guns with bits of story in between.

Now I feel Dirty even having to attempt to make ubisoft sound good.

Also, in what fucking world is Myst a First Person Shooter? Is there an ultra-Violent version I'm not aware of?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, in what fucking world is Myst a First Person Shooter? Is there an ultra-Violent version I'm not aware of?
I don't know. meiam almost always has these weird, out there, contrarian opinions just to stand out, but does not back them up over half the time.

And yeah these GTA clone were very common back then, but that doesn't mean that everything possible within the genre has already been done.
Debatable. The genre has been done to death. Like I said before, there more variety of open world games out there, that just don't want to be about fucking douche nozzle gangsters 24/7. The last one was Mafia III, but even most people and fans found it mediocre at best in terms of gameplat. The story most people liked and did not have problem with. People move on to better things, and certain old things become new again or reinvigorated. Deal with it.

There's still plenty of way to make interesting sandbox world.
Too bad no ones cares at this point. Most of the Western AAA industry is obsessed with finding their next infinite money train and copying Fortnite, AA studio and mid budget games mostly don't have the budget for these type of titles nowadays and focus on more interesting genres, and indie scene is going nuts and all their own things non-GTA. Even a majority the kids that buy GTAV or Red Dead 2, don't even give a shit about the single player camp again, and just want fuck around in the online modes. Or their parents/guardians won't let them play the single player, but will let them play with complete (adult) strangers. I bet you when GTAVI comes out, most of those same kids/teens won't even bother with the single player; especially now that it's been comfirmed the game will be "lliiiivvvvvvveee seeeerrrrrvvvvvvviccccesssss!"

Extra Note: There was a GTA style indie game that came out back 2012 in called Retro City Rampage. There you go, but that only further proves my point.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
TIL John Carmack personally worked on Doom RPG for mobile phones(java).

It started with John losing his phone. His wife bought him a new one, which had lots of pre-installed crappy java games. John Carmack of course, being John Carmack, decided that he could make a better one. And he did.

Unfortunately over the years(the game came out in 2005) the source code was lost.
Some passionates are trying to reverse engineer it, but if you'd want to play it now, best chance is some java emulator. Or a phone that opens .jar files.

And it might still be worth to play. I had it on a Nokia 5300, and i recall it was leaving most of the phone games of that era behind.
Wanna know a secret? It was the first Doom game i beat.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Please don't make me defend ubisoft games.......

Messing around in the open world is pretty much the Far Cry games to a T. That's most of the reason those games exist. Despite if they work as well as GTA doesn't detract from the loop is a lot of fucking around with cars and guns with bits of story in between.

Now I feel Dirty even having to attempt to make ubisoft sound good.

Oh my bad on the "shooter" part wanted to just write first person (although I do vaguely remember a point and click game that was constantly intercutted with shoting segment). Point is, just because two game are mechanically similar doesn't make them the same genre, say portal and Doom, you both shoot gun in first person to traverse level where you encounter obstacle (some of which shoot at you).

When you mess around in far cry, you do it along the line that the dev intended. You go to a camp and you free a tiger in a cage that the dev put there specifically so player would free it to start chaos in a camp that they populated with baddies to shoot at. Those camp makes no sense in the game world, why would the bad guys need camp every 200 meters? There's literally more mook living in a far cry map than civilian and yet there's seemingly nothing for them to do, the mook exist to be mook. Far cry are open world game, but they're not sandbox, the world makes no sense and you could easily cut out the open world aspect, it would just be annoying to constantly get load screen whenever you'd go from one camp (and its surrounding) to the next. There's barely anything to find in the world (like say a tank hidden in one area that you could drag back to a mission area obviously not designed for a tank) outside of generic crafting material.

The entire point of a GTA like game is that it happen in a "believable" city, so the dev go to great length to make the city feel real, to fill it with civilian going about their live, respecting traffic laws and behaving normally. They then fill the world with all kind of fun toy that you could still reasonably find in a real city and then they give the player a lot of freedom on what to do. You can just cruise around in a car and just decide to shoot at every granny you see because that's just weird and random and you feel like being weird and random. Far cry has barely any occasion to do that (I think most large civilian encampment even stop you from shooting your gun in them), it's more like theme park ride. Same for assassin creed, if you try to kill civilian the game even chide you for it, the only use of the open world aspect is to create spectacular vista, otherwise it's just a big empty seperating point of interest. In GTA game the map is the point of interest.