Game Articles and Videos Thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It looks very cool but the first Dragon's Dogma also looked very cool and I didn't enjoy it.

I don't want to just compare every fantasy RPG to Witcher but since that video is using music from the Witcher 3 (from northern Skellige specifically) as the music bed I will...

Witcher 1 and 2, like Dragon's Dogma 1, are chock full of brilliant ideas and cool mechanics and world building but also can be extremely rough to play, while Witcher 3 makes everything so much more accessible so I hope DD2 is same. DD is one of the my biggest self-guilt trips I have for quitting a game.

I'm also just so much more skeptical on these massive RPGs now, I just don't have that kind of patience. But if there is minimal jank and awkwardness in the movement and combat and the world is more interesting looking than I'm definitely keen. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure especially as the reviews come out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It looks very cool but the first Dragon's Dogma also looked very cool and I didn't enjoy it.

I don't want to just compare every fantasy RPG to Witcher but since that video is using music from the Witcher 3 (from northern Skellige specifically) as the music bed I will...

Witcher 1 and 2, like Dragon's Dogma 1, are chock full of brilliant ideas and cool mechanics and world building but also can be extremely rough to play, while Witcher 3 makes everything so much more accessible so I hope DD2 is same. DD is one of the my biggest self-guilt trips I have for quitting a game.

I'm also just so much more skeptical on these massive RPGs now, I just don't have that kind of patience. But if there is minimal jank and awkwardness in the movement and combat and the world is more interesting looking than I'm definitely keen. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure especially as the reviews come out.
I never played the first Dragon's Dogma, but even I noticed the game has plenty of jank. Most of that jank was fixed in the PC version and generation 8 ports. I do see significant improvement, and the game is more than likely going to be good. Don't forget that Hideaki Itsuno is the one doing this, and he did the last one. The same man that took lead on the Devil May Cry franchise since DMC3 (technically 2, but fixing up Capcom's and the other director's screw ups). The same man that made best Devil May Cry, DMC5. Dragon's Dogma 2 is Itsuno's baby, and I can tell learned out for the past decade. Not my type of game, but I might check this out.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Character design for Wapeach, the evil counterpart to Peach as Wario is to Mario, from the person why did the design for Waluigi.

If you're thinking she doesn't really look like evil Peach, then you're right, she doesn't. She's inspired by Doronjo from Yatterman, much like Waluigi is a riff on the green guy. Word is that Nintendo wanted to avoid similarities.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Character design for Wapeach, the evil counterpart to Peach as Wario is to Mario, from the person why did the design for Waluigi.

If you're thinking she doesn't really look like evil Peach, then you're right, she doesn't. She's inspired by Doronjo from Yatterman, much like Waluigi is a riff on the green guy. Word is that Nintendo wanted to avoid similarities.
So I've never gotten the "Wa-" prefix for other characters. Wario works because he's basically an evil counterpart to Mario; the W is an inverted M. "Waluigi"? "Wapeach"? It's just gibberish in my mind. "Tuigi" (inverted L = T) and "Beach" (inverted P = b) would make a lot more sense.

But hey, I'm not in anyone's marketing department, so....

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So I've never gotten the "Wa-" prefix for other characters. Wario works because he's basically an evil counterpart to Mario; the W is an inverted M. "Waluigi"? "Wapeach"? It's just gibberish in my mind. "Tuigi" (inverted L = T) and "Beach" (inverted P = b) would make a lot more sense.

But hey, I'm not in anyone's marketing department, so....
Wario is a contraction of Mario and the Japanese 悪い (warui), which means bad or wrong. Likewise Luigi becomes Waluigi, which in Japanese would be pronounced more or less as Waruigi.

Also, if going by your scheme

Reactions: BrawlMan